Genetic Engineered Food

Against35%35% - 32
For34%34% - 31
I don't give a fuck30%30% - 27
Total: 90
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
As the thread title says? Would you? Since there is quite a debate about genetic engineered plants/ agriculture will hurt the "natural" agriculture. There are a lot of nations that are in starvation, genetic engineered plants can grow in very dry ares (Africa and Middle east).

So, would you support it?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6598|Cheshire. UK
I agree with it.....after all we use anti biotics to cure use and make us resistant to infection...if it can be done with plants and releive famine then why not!
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6568|Oxford
I thought you were leaving this forum?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Kay.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6598|Cheshire. UK

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Who me??
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

It depends. I agree with it in principle and see that it is a useful means for making crops more successful in harsh conditions. Where its use contaminates other crops and ecosystems then I am against it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Bertster7 wrote:

It depends. I agree with it in principle and see that it is a useful means for making crops more successful in harsh conditions. Where its use contaminates other crops and ecosystems then I am against it.
Explain how it can contaminate other crops or ecosystems? (Seriously, not an insult but I wanna know)
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6598|Cheshire. UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Explain how it can contaminate other crops or ecosystems? (Seriously, not an insult but I wanna know)
Cross Pollination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination
PureFodder
+225|6285
To be fair, thousands of years of cross breeding and selective breeding have made massive changes to many species and have been merrily cross pollinating with the rest of the ecosystem. Genetic modification is just a better way to do this.

I am for it, it saves millions of lives.

I am against modifying crops so they don't produce viable seeds for next years crops forcing farmers to buy more each year though, which is something bio-engineering firms want to do.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6542|Texas - Bigger than France
I don't have a problem with it - after all we've done it already with cattle, dogs, crops, etc etc.

But don't be too worried we'll all be killed in the robot uprising before this is a problem anyways.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
Why not eh. Although I'm more for the drastic changing of an environment to make it better for the crops we already have, instead of doing it the other way. There's more benefits to that. But it's damn hard to do.
Fen321
+54|6497|Singularity
How does genetically producing plants that survive with less water solve the problem of there not being water for the plants to grow with -- in the coming future?

Genetically altering our crops / other food could cause some pretty ugly scenarios especially when a particular disease comes and wipes out a particular genetically altered crop / other food - BAM no more food after that loss -- biodiversity exist for a reason .
topal63
. . .
+533|6718

Fen321 wrote:

... Biodiversity exist for a reason.
Erm... actually the opposite. It just exists. Evolution is an explanation of a process. Its reason - is well non-reason. Nature is a mindless blind watchmaker.

Also, I don't buy any Frankenstein, man meddles in nature, modified-nature kills man scenario. That is pure conjecture. Medical science attempts to solve (modify; find solutions to) the problems nature randomly throws our collective way. Engineering (applied science) attempts to solve (modify; find solutions to) the problems nature randomly throws our collective way. Why should genetic engineering (as an applied science) be viewed differently as a Frankenstein-type horror waiting to happen?

Last edited by topal63 (2007-05-10 12:40:09)

jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
Sure then all the Africans won't starve.

I wouldn't eat it myself like, unless it was alot cheaper.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

I support the idea and the pursuance 100%. 

However, I do have a few reservations on intent and implementation.  Large Agribusiness could (and already does) copyright certain genetic strains.  While not necessarily an inherently evil action, it could lead to companies controlling certain food supplies.  The idea of cross-pollination further projects this worry; A Monsanto-copyrighted crop growing 2 plots away from a wild, 'free' strain could cross-pollinate the 'wild' strain, possibly raising copyright infringement issues.

I like the idea, but I see it as a way for corporations to further control the masses if left unchecked.  I support the idea of genetically-modified food as long as there is a large amount of oversight into it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

jord wrote:

Sure then all the Africans won't starve.

I wouldn't eat it myself like, unless it was alot cheaper.
Actually a few years ago we (the US) sent genetically-modified food to Zimbabwe through the World Food Program to help alleviate famine there.  They didn't accept it, I am not sure of the reason why.  Let me look into this a little further.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-05-10 11:36:48)

HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6279

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

However, I do have a few reservations on intent and implementation.  Large Agribusiness could (and already does) copyright certain genetic strains.  While not necessarily an inherently evil action, it could lead to companies controlling certain food supplies.  The idea of cross-pollination further projects this worry; A Monsanto-copyrighted crop growing 2 plots away from a wild, 'free' strain could cross-pollinate the 'wild' strain, possibly raising copyright infringement issues.
I believe that particular scenario has all ready occured, possibly more than once, with all the cases involving Monsanto Inc. trying to sue farmers apparently for theft by wind and bees. But then again this is the same company that tried to sue to prevent organic dairy outfits from putting "RGBH free" on their own milk cartons. This is the essential problem with GMO foods. They're being created by corporations, which make profit their primary goal; benefit to anyone else or responsibility to anyone but their shareholders are of limited concern. Plainly put, they don't really give a damn if one of their Terminator gene crops cross-polinates with other plants and results in a disruption of their growing cycle or if their "Roundup Ready" plants result in herbicide-resistant weeds. If the costs of either happening are outweighed by their profits, it's all good for them and fuck everybody else.
topal63
. . .
+533|6718
Genetically Engineered Salmon:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/xt485285u7460741/
In support of the emerging industries of warmwater marine fish mariculture, genetic engineering and classical genetic improvement programmes have been initiated for a variety of exclusively marine fish. These programmes have the potential to perturb allele and genotype frequencies, or introduce novel alleles and genes into conspecific wild populations. Despite concerns to the contrary, the following hypothesis remains to be falsified: `laboratory induced allele frequency/genotype changes and novel alleles or genes have a negligible probability of being selectively favoured in wild populations under natural selection, and accordingly, without sustained large scale releases, have little potential for ecological impact'
Risk assessment research on genetically engineered salmon:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/Story/ … ment_e.htm

Penn State Article on GE-Salmon:
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uk138.pdf

The New York Times ("OUTDOORS; Genetic Engineering Comes to the Rescue")
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h … A9649C8B63

(M682) Production of Salmon that Generates only Trout Offspring; Use of Sterilized Triploid as a Recipient.
http://abstracts.co.allenpress.com/pweb … /?ID=51968

Evaluation of the use of triploid Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in minimising the impact of escaped farmed salmon on wild populations:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o … 758674c408
The impact of escaped farmed salmon on wild populations may have potentially negative genetic and ecological effects. There is widespread evidence that farmed salmon interact with wild salmon. The use of sterile fish in culture has been proposed as a means of eliminating genetic interaction and minimising the ecological effect of farmed salmon. In this study, the migration behaviour of groups of triploid salmon were investigated through the controlled release of microtagged triploid and diploid stocks on the western coast of Ireland. Mixed-sex and all-female stocks of ranched grilse origin were triploidised using hydrostatic pressure. Smolts were ranched from the hatchery of origin and two groups of post-smolts were released from cages in a marine site. The return of adult salmon from these experimental release groups to coastal and freshwater capture sites was monitored as part of the Irish national coded wire tag recovery programme. The return of triploid salmon from each of the release groups, both to the coast and to fresh water, was significantly reduced compared to diploid salmon. The highest percentage return to fresh water (2.25%) was in the ranched mixed-sex diploid group. In contrast, no salmon from the cage release groups returned to the hatchery location on the Burrishoole river system and recoveries in other freshwater systems were low (<0.01%). The return of a small number of hormonally deficient, sterile triploid female fish suggests that migration to fresh water is not inextricably linked with reproduction. The substantially reduced return of hormonally competent triploid males to the coast and to fresh water, indicates that other factors may have an effect on their marine survival.
The reduced return of triploid salmon to the coast and to fresh water, together with their inability to produce viable offspring, demonstrates the potential for triploidy as a means of eliminating genetic interactions between cultured and wild populations, and of reducing the ecological impact of escaped farmed fish.
From: http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=130 (About Aqua Bounty GE-salmon)
Is Sterilization 100 percent effective so we can be sure that transgenic salmon will really be sterile?

YES: Triploidy produces 100 percent sterilization in female salmon because it prevents the development of the ovaries needed to produce eggs. The only uncertainties about the technique have been raised in the context of male salmon, grass carp and oysters. There is no scientific debate over the complete sterility of triploid female salmon.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-05-10 13:12:28)

Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6489|Gogledd Cymru

who doesnt want a potatocarrot that would rock
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6626|Sea to globally-cooled sea
going against my normal habits, I really don't care.  I think there are pros and cons about it, but seeing as I do not feel like educating myself about it, I really don't "give a fuck" 
jonsimon
+224|6495

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

As the thread title says? Would you? Since there is quite a debate about genetic engineered plants/ agriculture will hurt the "natural" agriculture. There are a lot of nations that are in starvation, genetic engineered plants can grow in very dry ares (Africa and Middle east).

So, would you support it?
I don't trust corporations or the FDA.
0ji
+36|6228|Estados Unidos
I don't care... food is food.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6560|Canaduhhh.. West Toast

surgeon_bond wrote:

who doesnt want a potatocarrot that would rock
its called a parsnip.. we already found that one :-P...

enjoy brocolli, cauliflower, or canola oil (rapeseed plant)  these are all foods that humans have created through cross-breeding or genetic engineering... worse than genetic tampering is the pesticides and fertilizers that are used this should be more of an issue than the food itself.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

Monsanto needs to be shut down. Evil bastards.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6751|the middle of nowhere
Yes I would support it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard