Desert_Fox3188
+1|6202
Besides practice does anyone have any practical tips for being a good commander. Lately my teams have had a void of anyone being the commander so I tried it out. But in all honesty I would have far better benefited the team as a squad leader capping bases, then with my commanding abilities. Part of it is probably lack of practice, part might be luck, but I have seen commander mkae the difference between a losing team and a winning team. Not saying I'd want to be some uber commander, I just don't want to suck at it.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6560|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
i totally blow goats as a commander too... i think maybe you should read the wiki and give me some helpful tips... http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/co … ide-part-1  or  http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/command-reference
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6447|Chicago, IL
drop supplies on tankers to keep them alive, scan constantly, and arty flags that are being neutralized, and always pay attention for vehicle requests.

You can spot out sneaky infantry, but dont spam "enemy jet spotted," because we all see it already.

If a spec ops guy blows your equipment, DON'T drop supplies to fix it, you're only rearming him to do it again.

btw, artillery kills count towards the vehicle youre sitting in, so sit in an AA and you'll get a few easy medals that are impossible to earn the "fair" way.
Jlspence
+4|6666
The referenced guides are good.

To sum it up though, I find it best, if you're going to be commander, to find a good hiding place, get into the command screen and stay there.

Once in the command screen, the first thing you should do is Scan.  The Scan gives you a snapshot in time where all live enemy are located.  These are indicated by the fuzzy red dots.  Next, based on the results of the scan, place your UAV where it will best help YOUR team.  Using the overplayed Karkand map as an example, you could place the UAV around the Hotel flag where most of the action is OR if you have a smart squad going up the left or right side trying to cap a base, put the UAV there so they can see what's ahead of them.  They'll appreciate it.  Once you place your UAV and AFTER the red dots from the Scan have faded out, begin spotting enemy targets that are near your team but NOT under the UAV.  Do this by right clicking where you saw the red dots before they faded and then select "Spot" from the drop down menu.  When you spot an enemy in this fashion, a solid red dot will appear on your command screen (or vehicle icon if it's a vehicle) and on your team's mini-maps for about 6-8 seconds.  Do NOT spot enemy that are away from your team as it does nothing but create useless chatter on the voice loop.  Now look at your screen and make note of where your armor is.  Zoom in to that location and drop supplies behind the armor that appears to be best helping your team.  By this time your Arty has probably charged and you should consider if/where to place it.  Remember that there is about a 15 second delay from when you place the arty to when it actually lands on target.  Accordingly, after a Scan, look at the enemy and imagine where they will be in 15 seconds.  Also take note of your own teammates. 

Now it's a matter of rinsing and repeating.  Scan, UAV, Supplies, Arty (if warranted).  If a squad leader requests something it's good to either give it or, if you decline, tell them over VOIP why you're declining.  As an example, many times SL will ask for UAV but if you've just done a scan and know there are no enemy there it would be a waste of UAV to grant it. 

Giving Orders is probably the most difficult thing for commanders to do well.  One of the easier ways to approach this is follow a few simple guidelines:

1) Try to keep your squads from bunching up. 
2) Order your squads to the least/lesser defended flags.
3) Don't be afraid to issue a Defend order if you see a flag coming under heavy attack.  Tell the SL over VOIP what's happening and why you need them to defend. 
4) Never order a SL to attack/defend a flag across the map from their location.  They'll ignore you from then on.
5) Never use the "Rebuke".
TheSkrapper
+7|6198
Jlspence has summed it up pretty well.  BF2S is one of the better sites for information and the guides are formatted quite nicely.   I have a few more tips as well as a few more questions at the end of this post.   This is also my first post.  HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!!

My experience is mostly IO and I am just learning Commander also... I would suggest making your first few command posts on an IO map so you can learn the basics before adding more buttons but that may just be my simple mind.

When you are looking for a place to command from, try to stay hidden but at the same time try to cover a strategic area.  This could either be a common route that the enemy would take to cap a back flag (like overlooking the water from the Cement Factory on Karkand) or it could be a view of your UAV/SCANNER so you can kill that SF C4er before or after he takes out your eyes.  (Preferably before.) 

I like to go Sniper when I command because it gives me extra time to kill that stray enemy that gets past my teammates as well as claymores to cover my back.  Usually after a SCAN and setting your UAV up you have time to drop out of the command screen to take out a few enemies before your UAV is gone.  Only do this if it is necessary.  If you have teammates taking care if it then stay commanding, it's too easy to get caught up in a firefight and not realize your team is fighting blind.  Of course if there are two squads bearing down on you and you are alone then stay quiet and hope they pass you by.

When you just start the round your UAV will be charged almost immediately.  Your scanner will take a full recharge cycle.  So your first UAV might be thrown up blindly but usually experience will tell you where it is needed in the first minutes of the round.  If you become commander in the middle of a round you may want to wait for a scan prior to placing your first UAV as Jlspence stated depending on what is going on.  You can get about 2 scans per UAV so I like to scan as my UAV is ending to prep for the next UAV and then scan in the middle of the UAV to keep up with enemy movements and to spot. 

Do not under estimate the ZOOM feature especially if you have lost UAV or SCAN.  Zooming in "all the way" will allow you to see the enemy and spot them manually.  (I hate it when a commander quits because he looses UAV and SCAN and can't or doen't know how to repair them.)  Once you get use to zooming in and out and navigating around the map in zoom mode it becomes quite useful.  (I didn't see this covered in the Wiki Command  guide.  Should it be added?) Also make sure you are zoomed all the way out when you scan or you may miss that SLB sneaking around the edge of the map.  Zooming also lets you see where a hard to find enemy is so you can say "He's on the roof" or "He's hiding behind the ___"

Don't get supply drop crazy and fill the area with supply crates.  The enemy can use them if they get past your lines.  This follows the same idea of if you are a medic don't throw down a bunch of extra med packs for the enemy to use when they get to your flag.  Keeping a supply drop available will let you instantly use it for an SL request encouraging teamplay as well as to repair your toys "AFTER you kill the SF C4er".

VOIP can be very use full for things but try to keep it short and to the point.  Remember that everyone may not have English as their strong language.  (No offence to anyone.  My English sucks and it is my native language.)  Don't make a speech and don't have conversations.   This also keeps the chatter down for the people using Teamspeak or Vent in their squads.  I primarily use VOIP for 3 things.  Telling an SL that they are clear to advance to their target when my UAV is elsewhere.  Telling the SLs that we just took a flag behind enemy lines so they can all spawn there.  Telling the SLs that that an enemy or squad got past our defences so they can move or re-spawn to intercept.  (Make sure you keep them spotted if they are not under UAV as your team moves in.)

Well .. that's about it this post.  Hope it was useful and accurate... now for my few command questions that may help the OP as well ...

1) Can you specify which squads hear your VOIP?  Is it only the SL?  Can the commander VOIP to Lone Wolves?  (I didn't see much on VOIP in the Wiki Command Guide)

2) Is the X2 bonus only for the commander or does the whole team get X2?  I'm thinking command only.

3) Are SF hidden from both UAV and SCAN?  I think I read that some place but can't remember the details.

Lastly .. can someone add to the Wiki newb guide (or tell me how to submit):

Make sure you check the server variable "Friendly Fire" prior to joining a game.  Knowing this can greatly influence your game play strategy.  For instance, whether or not you can throw a nade in the middle of a close encounters fight.  It will also let you know whether or not you need to "STAY AWAY FROM MY CLAYMORES!!!"  Knowing this one thing can greatly influences your stats.

Well ... thanks for all the fun team play so far and I look forward to getting to know people.

TheSkrapper

<Looking for sig>

Last edited by TheSkrapper (2007-05-12 22:32:52)

Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK
Scan, stick a UAV over a large firefight, and spot anyone outside it, in that order.

Arty goes onto concentrations of enemies without your guys nearby.

Supplies are for fixing assets, resupplying vehicle whores, and splatting stray snipers.

Vehicles go near lone green dots, to help them cap things. Also good for blocking things.

Keep a track of your own guys, give orders sensibly, and keep them busy. Compliments help.

Replying to requests makes people feel valued.

And, most importantly, find somewhere to hide. Ideally, somewhere out of the way and under a roof so you won't get ganked or artilleried.

If you see a dogfight, spot the enemy vehicle enough to keep the icon. Might just give your guy enough knowledge to win.
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6557|Brisbane, Aus

Voip helps, but only if you've got a good team lol.

To the skrapper's questions:

1)Only squad leaders can hear the commander's voip, and only they can talk back

2)the X2 is only for the commander on the winning team

And 3)It's been proven Spec ops Can not avoid UAV/scans (only by blowing them up lol)
----------------------------------------------

my suggestions:

When things are ready to deploy, ask your squads first who wants something.

Dropping supples near your tanks is good, just make sure it's out of the way so they won't run over it.

Be aware of how big the UAV coverage is on particular maps and learn where to place it for the best coverage.

Let your team know in chat when vehicle drop is ready or how long it'll take, otherwise they might spam the requests at you all the time lol.

Remember randomly placing car drops for troops isn't usually the best way, It recharges pretty quick so wait a bit before each and see if a squad wants a lift.

Artillery... Timing and placement is key, if you can place a strike on a hill that enemy squad will be on top of very soon, they'll be in for a nasty surprise.

If you like to Arty carriers (come on it's fun once in a while ) the placement can be deceptive, even though it looks like on Dalian (just an example) you've put the strike right in the middle of all the choppers, it'll just go in the ocean on the right of it.. Learn to gauge where the right spot to strike is (usually a bit before the carrier in the ocean) It's different in most maps, Wake doesn't have much difference at all.

With scans, remember The command voice can get very irritating Very quickly (MEC/US especially China not so much) so try to limit spotting to 4-5 at a time. And when people ask you to spot for them, don't wait for the Scan get zoomed and get clickin!

And the winnar kit for command: engineer. If you haven't noticed by now, any points other than those from Supply crates/Reparing don't count to your score. So unless it's a very low player server, your fighting expertiese won't be nessicary, but that doesn't mean you can't defend your assets when the time comes.

Well thats my 2 cents, enjoy while it's still tax free

Last edited by Fenix14 (2007-05-20 20:50:47)

TheSkrapper
+7|6198
Thanx for the reply Fenix....

You mustered up a few more questions...

Fenix14 wrote:

To the skrapper's questions:
1)Only squad leaders can hear the commander's voip, and only they can talk back
Can I direct VOIP to a certain SL or is it all or nothing?  I know I can select certain squads for orders and such but there are those few other icons next to each squad and I can't find documentation on all of them.

If I hi-light a squad and commend them, does only that specific SL hear it?  I just don't want to be spamming "Good Job"  5 different times for each squad if they all hear it.

Fenix14 wrote:

my suggestions:
When things are ready to deploy, ask your squads first who wants something.
I hear things like "All Clear!", "Positions under contro!l", "Supplies are available for request" and  "What are your orders?"  I have yet to figure out how to access these.   

Thanks...

Last edited by TheSkrapper (2007-05-21 08:22:23)

chittydog
less busy
+586|6835|Kubra, Damn it!

The absolute best tip I have for other commanders is to think 20 seconds ahead. Live by this.

This means not dropping supplies on tanks while they're en route to somewhere important and can't use them. It means planning your arty, not putting it somewhere where the enemy will be gone before it hits (or after they've already capped the flag). Don't put the UAV on the flag your boys are 2 seconds from capping and are about to leave.
MajorHoulahan_MASH
+31|6722

Jlspence wrote:

The referenced guides are good.

To sum it up though, I find it best, if you're going to be commander, to find a good hiding place, get into the command screen and stay there.

Giving Orders is probably the most difficult thing for commanders to do well.  One of the easier ways to approach this is follow a few simple guidelines:

1) Try to keep your squads from bunching up. 
2) Order your squads to the least/lesser defended flags.
3) Don't be afraid to issue a Defend order if you see a flag coming under heavy attack.  Tell the SL over VOIP what's happening and why you need them to defend. 
4) Never order a SL to attack/defend a flag across the map from their location.  They'll ignore you from then on.
5) Never use the "Rebuke".
ad 4) on vehicle  (!) maps  do order specific small squads to far away flags and it works many times.
On City maps example Karkand: move to suburb, or trainyard.
On large maps like the Chinese ones or Oman, if you can show/tell a squad which flag is undefended, they will go the distance quite often.
a 5) never say never , i.e.
if  you have a team of campers, that avoid getting close to any flag,  rebuke ! - 2 times in a round maximum! - accompanied with a gentle order in words/teamspeak and motivation  ( "get moving"/ "we need more flags"). 

Giving orders is certainly a delicate feature to handle; most squadleaders and squads have their own agenda for that round or specific map.

The more orders you give , the less likely they are to follow them up.
If you give an order to move to a certain flag you either have to deploy an UAV above it, or spot the scattered enemies there manually (radar).
just rightclick on the command-map in that area will mark the red dots on the minimap, no need to zoom in if you know there are some enemies there.

I noticed a huge difference in expectations/attitude towards the commander, between commanding in I/O, and commanding in vehicle-maps.

In I/O squads seldom ask fo UAV, although deploying one is appreciated. Its as if they hardly notice if they have a commander in team, or not. Too busy point-whoring rambo-style  guess...

In vehicle maps most players seem to expect a far more dedicated commander when it comes to spotting, UAV and supplies, and giving info on enemy positions. SPOT  ARMOR/JETS/CHOPPER FIRST, they are the most damaging to your overall teampoints, and as a result to your command score i.e. winning or losing the round.
Fateless
+36|6242|Jennifer Connellys Pants
Nice tips for far, Jlspence  especially.

Be aware of their position and objectives nearby they can attack, or defensive tactics following scanning or reports from squad leaders. You see more than they do, communication is the key.

Fateless.
JaggedPanther
+61|6474
Don't spam the 'enemy spotted button'. I only do that between UAV deployments to keep ppl to notice thier mini radars.
drop vehicles or supplies to anyone on your side regardless if they are in a squad or not (that could be just me though) But not to snipers unless they specifically say "I need ammo".

Use the 'enemy spotted' when one of your allies is nearby a flag (again doesn't matter if they are in a squad or not).
Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK
A good hiding spot is VERY important, I have recently found. For some reason, people now like hunting out and killing commanders for an easy knife kill, the bastards.
Ideally, you should be not only hidden, but under cover to avoid artillery duels. If this means cowering prone under a shack or bobbing in the sea, so be it.
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6523|the Netherlands
imo you are all right !

i hate the idea of the "hiding commander"*,  the commander should be able to move around the battlefield like the any other player IF he can do the job that needs to be done so groundforces get the support they need ...

fighting commander ... some maps dont have uncaps base so a fighting CO might come in handy ... spot enemies quick move along with the squads doing the messy work ... Co picks of stray enemies or easy kills
cap save neutral flags etc.

imo THAT could be effective and a positive thing for your team IF CO knows the maps well ,choke points ,strategic spots , fighting skills stay ALIVE ...

Any way ...  keep on m8 's Command good!

*if you gonna hide find a{ like said above }ARTY save hiding place

the enemy CO should be very quick aware of your position when hiding in one certain place cause you dont move while in CO screen and send some forces to hunt you down ...

Last edited by Tjasso (2007-05-23 18:59:15)

Mordoc_the_Gorilla
Banned
if your team is being gaytarded and doesnt have a commander which in turn forces you to be one, just tell your team, if they want something ask for it or else it isnt coming. thats what i do
Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK

Tjasso wrote:

imo you are all right !

i hate the idea of the "hiding commander"*,  the commander should be able to move around the battlefield like the any other player IF he can do the job that needs to be done so groundforces get the support they need
I find I can't manage the assets, spot things, keep an eye on the battle, and give orders while doing anything else.
Also, if you're dead, that's 15 seconds without a commander. If you attract fire like I do, that's a lot of time, and a LOT of dent in your KDR.
Which, really, is part of the reason I like commanding. Few deaths, and all my arty kills go to my stats.
Trouble69
+1|6634|WA, Australia

S.Lythberg wrote:

btw, artillery kills count towards the vehicle youre sitting in, so sit in an AA and you'll get a few easy medals that are impossible to earn the "fair" way.
That is actually incorrect and besides as commander you should never be in a vehicle in the first place.

Anyway, as commander I generally pick a flag to defend with C4/nades that has a decent hiding spot nearby (the balcony near the TV station on Warlord is a prime example of this), this way I can look after my team's needs whilst giving them a well defended flag to respawn from. It might not sound like much but it is one less flag your teammates have to worry about.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK

Trouble69 wrote:

besides as commander you should never be in a vehicle in the first place.
Even dropping a transport for yourself to work up time in it? Can't be any harm in THAT, can there?
Trouble69
+1|6634|WA, Australia

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Trouble69 wrote:

besides as commander you should never be in a vehicle in the first place.
Even dropping a transport for yourself to work up time in it? Can't be any harm in THAT, can there?
I was referring more to AA, tanks and APCs.
confused
+10|6394|British Columbia

chittydog wrote:

The absolute best tip I have for other commanders is to think 20 seconds ahead. Live by this.

Don't put the UAV on the flag your boys are 2 seconds from capping and are about to leave.
Maybe not UAV, but any flag your team is changing should be scanned for enemies.  There's nothing worse than capping a flag and have it change back 3 seconds after you leave.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard