Rickard.Jarl-
+7|6219|Sweden, Norrbotten, LuleƄ.
excuse my english.

Each day on the news thay say "25 killed in iraq by a carbomb" "45 killed" "7 killed" "children massacre" etc etc. First i tought that it was awful, but now when i hear "40 killed by carbomb" i dont care.
It is actualy terrible that you can think "so what" when 40 civilians are getting killed.
Is it just me?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina
When you see these images in the media everyday you get used to violence, and you start to be more indifferent to this kind of episodes.  It's sad, but that's how it works.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6560|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
we are insensitive creatures... unless it hits close to home we hear so much about death and destruction that it always seems surreal...  i know a guy that was never allowed to watch violent movies or tv he was also never allowed to own toy weapons (crazy parents).. now this guy cannot handle violence at all.. i have a documentary about some dude in prison that stabbed another inmate to death.. it has the actual footage of the murder and really it is quite graphic (good quality).. so this guy knowing that it isnt hollywood gore just couldnt handle it.. he left the room and threw up.. so yeah some of us are for sure much more desensitized towards violence than others
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.

Rickard.Jarl- wrote:

excuse my english.

Each day on the news thay say "25 killed in iraq by a carbomb" "45 killed" "7 killed" "children massacre" etc etc. First i tought that it was awful, but now when i hear "40 killed by carbomb" i dont care.
It is actualy terrible that you can think "so what" when 40 civilians are getting killed.
Is it just me?
It's not just you no, i'm not one for caring as well.

Last edited by jord (2007-05-08 11:08:06)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

You are becoming desensitized.  It happens to everyone.  It it hard to have compassion for victims of violence when the facts are reported in a monotone voice on the news as just another number.

Personally, I find it very intriguing that a newscaster can report hundreds of casualties of mindless violence and segue into the night's American Idol results without a second thought.

Compassion is a good thing.  Just make sure it doesn't turn into a bleeding heart.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
People get bored with it, so do the media. Iraq bombing articles will get smaller and smaller whilst pointless news stories such as one girl going missing gets headlines for days on end (Don't give me bullshit, this happens all the time, honestly worse shit happens in the UK everyday). What can you do? Nothing.
herrr_smity
+156|6628|space command ur anus
they wold have died anyway in 40 years or so
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Rickard.Jarl- wrote:

excuse my english.

Is it just me?
The Onion had a report on this....

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/mi … ntensifies
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

herrr_smity wrote:

You are going to die eventually too.  Should we just end the suspense?
herrr_smity
+156|6628|space command ur anus

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

sure why not

Last edited by herrr_smity (2007-05-08 11:28:17)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6565|Area 51
I stopped caring after about the fourth time. As long as it doesn't come anywhere near where I live I will continue not to care. Call me insensitive or whatever but I don't care.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Although I don't think like this, this quote probably sums up the situation, "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

RDMC(2) wrote:

I stopped caring after about the fourth time. As long as it doesn't come anywhere near where I live I will continue not to care. Call me insensitive or whatever but I don't care.
It's pretty much a regional conflict that only really matters with reference to oil supplies.  If enough turmoil spreads throughout the Middle East, it fucks with the distribution and refinement of oil.

Therefore, if we just move away from oil from the Middle East (and eventually from oil altogether), then the Palestine/Israel thing won't be of any consequence to you or me.

If we can neglect Darfur and the rest of Africa without a care, then the Middle East shouldn't be any more special.  It's only because of oil....
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

Human life is cheep.......................................................................................................oil is not.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

I think part of it is that we don't care any more because of who is getting killed.  Terrorist attacks on the US, the UK, and other countries have occurred.  Additional attacks have been stopped.  Many of the terrorists were natives of the country they attacked, many use the laws of the countries they migrate to, to spread that hate, and then when they start killing themselves over, what I'm sure is stupid to us, reasons...we just stop caring.
topthrill05
+125|6578|Rochester NY USA

herrr_smity wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

sure why not
You really are a complete idiot aren't you?

We are numb to it, simple as that.

There is a great quote in Hotel Rawanda that hits it on the head.

Last edited by topthrill05 (2007-05-08 12:46:03)

jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.

topthrill05 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

sure why not

We are numb to it, simple as that. I do feel bad and shake my head when I hear such things but thats about it. There is a great quote in Hotel Rawanda that hits it on the head.
I've seen that film.

Something like "they'll watch it and say it's terrible, then carry on eating and watching TV".
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

jord wrote:

topthrill05 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

sure why not

We are numb to it, simple as that. I do feel bad and shake my head when I hear such things but thats about it. There is a great quote in Hotel Rawanda that hits it on the head.
I've seen that film.

Something like "they'll watch it and say it's terrible, then carry on eating and watching TV".
"I think if people see this footage, they'll say Oh, my God, that's horrible. And then they'll go on eating their dinners."
topthrill05
+125|6578|Rochester NY USA
There you have it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard