aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6350|Iowa...
they are smart for animals,but not on a human scale.the most intelligent things they've ever done are putting a stick down a hole to get bugs and moving a box to reach a banana,and those took them a while to figure out.sorry,but their "intelligence" rivals that of a 3 year old.i don't see why they need the chimp to be a person anyway,because you could just *GASP* donate your money to the shelter.it really isn't even an issue.animals are not people,and this is another example of animal rights people going too far.
ATLSkyline07
+3|6333|Atlanta

chittydog wrote:

Just because they can't reason as well as us doesn't mean they can't reason. Would you consider someone with an IQ of 70 sub-human or unable to reason? I guarantee you he'd never learn calculus. He may not even be able to learn an instrument or to draw. He would still have the powers of learning, thinking, creativity and reason, only just in limited amounts.

Bottom line: person = human being.
An IQ test can't be used to measure intelligence or reasoning capacity. 

I agree with you, they can reason. I am saying though, they cannot understand things such as the concept of zero, space, time, infinite, etc. I doubt they can even do math (referring to chimps). Consider this experiment done on chimps:

There are two chimps in neighboring cages. They can see each other. One chimp is given a choice between a cup of one M&M and another cup full of M&Ms. Whichever cup he chooses, his neighbor gets. He'll always choose the cup with the most M&Ms even after it is repeatedly given to his neighbor. None of the chimps tested understood this.

I would like to think that even the dumbest human being is smarter than that.

Last edited by ATLSkyline07 (2007-05-06 02:18:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard