usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

"In a case that could set a global legal precedent for granting basic rights to apes, animal rights advocates are seeking to get the 26-year-old male chimpanzee legally declared a "person."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070504/ap_ … _challenge

I love animals, and support them in every way I can.  However, calling them a person is a little out there.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6755|United States of America
No. I won't have it. While animals are here, they are exactly that, animals. They will be treated as sub human because that's what they are.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6672|Colorado
Until they have a mind that can reason they are nothing more than an animal.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6549|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Miller wrote:

No. I won't have it. While animals are here, they are exactly that, animals. They will be treated as sub human because that's what they are.
You do realise that humans are animals?
Ryan
+1,230|6842|Alberta, Canada

TrollmeaT wrote:

You are saying that hunk of wriggled meat in every animals head is not a mind?
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6672|Colorado

Ryan wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

No I'm saying that they cannot reason.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Miller wrote:

Who's the at the top of the food chain? Who has a brain that can function and create and destroy, who has moral and ethical values? Who can reason? Who is able to create marvelous things with the tools we create? Don't get started on how humans are animals, we are superior in all areas due to one thing, our thought process.

Last edited by Miller (2007-05-04 19:15:20)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6549|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Miller wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Miller wrote:

Who's the at the top of the food chain? Who has a brain that can function and create and destroy, who has moral and ethical values? Who can reason? Who is able to create marvelous things with the tools we create? Don't get started on how humans are animals, we are superior in all areas due to one thing, our thought process.
You really do know nothing about animals do you?  Can you change your skin colour to indicate your mood?  Can you talk to other humans thousands of miles awy without using a mobile phone? 

Reason?  Are you seriously saying animals don't reason or weigh up odds etc?  How the hell do you think species have been been around longer than us?

Watch Planet Earth, you'd be amazed.
agent146
+127|6386|Jesus Land aka Canada
no a chimp is not a human. jeez christ we humans can't even get along with each other and you think we're going to make a chimp an "equal" heck no. plus I a believe i am superior....no chimp is my equal . Plus i have nighmares from the original "planet of the apes"; no i won't have it; i dont' give a crap "that 99.5 % of our DNA match"
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Miller wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

You really do know nothing about animals do you?  Can you change your skin colour to indicate your mood?  Can you talk to other humans thousands of miles awy without using a mobile phone? 

Reason?  Are you seriously saying animals don't reason or weigh up odds etc?  How the hell do you think species have been been around longer than us?

Watch Planet Earth, you'd be amazed.
I have. Why do we dominate the planet? We're higher, better than the animals. I eat animals, they don't eat me. Some are amazing, yes, I will give you that. But I will never say an animal is better than a human unless that human is a racist, sexist, murderer, etc.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6774|Noizyland

Let the Chimp vote! Surely it can't elect worse world leaders than we can!

Charlton Heston beware.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

usmarine2005 wrote:

"In a case that could set a global legal precedent for granting basic rights to apes, animal rights advocates are seeking to get the 26-year-old male chimpanzee legally declared a "person."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070504/ap_ … _challenge

I love animals, and support them in every way I can.  However, calling them a person is a little out there.
They are not people, but they should have the same rights.  F.i. someone killing a gorilla should get 25 to life.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker
The fact that this animal must be "declared a person" would be the first clue it is in fact, not a person.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6536|Chicago

TrollmeaT wrote:

Ryan wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

What do you define as "reason"? Every animal alive has developed basic survival instincts to allow them to continue passing on their genetic code. Those instincts are pretty much reason, at least in my book.

As far as the OP goes, I think this is pretty stupid. I'm a liberal, and I'm all for animal rights (though I eat meat - call me two-faced.) but this is just ridiculous.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6691|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
So if they declare him a "person," does that mean he has to work and make a living like the rest of us?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

So if they declare him a "person," does that mean he has to work and make a living like the rest of us?
Not if he votes democrat.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Miller wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Miller wrote:

Yea but there are very few "animals" who kill without necessity. We happen to be one of them... Bonus question what are some of the others?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stingray24

usmarine2005 wrote:

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

BUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!  That  . . . was . . . awesome.
Ryan
+1,230|6842|Alberta, Canada

TrollmeaT wrote:

Ryan wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

The Chimp says:

"I choose to eat this banana because this other one might have an anti-personnel mine in it."

Reason enough?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6569|Portland, OR, USA

usmarine2005 wrote:

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

zing!

@ kmarion, I know this one, but it's lost in the gray matter of my brain.... It's going to kill me if i can't remember....
Stingray24

RedTwizzler wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

Ryan wrote:

What do you define as "reason"? Every animal alive has developed basic survival instincts to allow them to continue passing on their genetic code. Those instincts are pretty much reason, at least in my book.

As far as the OP goes, I think this is pretty stupid. I'm a liberal, and I'm all for animal rights (though I eat meat - call me two-faced.) but this is just ridiculous.
There is a large difference between instinct (which is essentially response to stimuli) and reason.  Perhaps intellect would be a better term than reason.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6282|Pennsyltucky

Un-freaking-believable !
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6560|Australia, NSW
think of it this way... replace 'people' with 'person' theyre synonyms.

now if an animal has a definate personality, how are they not a person..
most humans with pets would know that their animal would react in certain ways to different circumstances, even the out of ordinary stuff not in their instincts. individual reactions to things- another synonym with person
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

Is big foot a person?

"Bigfoot, the legendary hairy man-like beast said to roam the wildernesses of North America, is not shy, merely so rare it risks extinction and should be protected as an endangered species."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070502/wl … 0502173737

Point is, people are going WAY too far.
jonsimon
+224|6494

TrollmeaT wrote:

Animals can reason. A lot of them are very smart. Esspecially apes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard