Kakashi
+8|6240|Basingstoke FTW
i know that i got off on the wrong foot with some of the members at Bf2s (mainly Entertayner) and im sorry i came across that way, but now to the serious buissness, today i just bought the game oblivion for xbox 360 and have heard that the choices of major/minor skills can effect your game play in the higher levels, now i tend to play games as a Marksman with a bow doing the work for me so im going to pick a wood elf for the +10 Marksman skill, but what are the Major/Minor skills i should pick to supliment my style of gameplay?

And does anyone else have Xbox live here if so add me to your mates list    KakashixSensi  (its a gay name i know but i couldnt think of anything else at the time and i wanted to play as soon as i could lol)

Thanks to any replies in advance

Kakashi
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

Restart the game and never sleep. Over time, your skills will dramatically increase to superhuman status in comparison to most of the low level monsters.
Kakashi
+8|6240|Basingstoke FTW

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Restart the game and never sleep. Over time, your skills will dramatically increase to superhuman status in comparison to most of the low level monsters.
how does that work?? never sleep? wont that make u tired or something? sorry im a newbie to the game
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6684
EDIT: nevermind, I didn't see XBOX. The levelling problem isn't as bad as everyone says it is, but it is bad. Speaking out of a lot of experience, I recommend that you just play the game normally even if you can't use mods. Your character will get stronger, but just not as much as you might expect him to be. However, the disadvantages of never leveling up outway the advantages, imo. So yeah, just carry on playing.

It's a real shame you've got the xbox version though. Lack of mods = bad.

Last edited by SargeV1.4 (2007-05-01 11:52:01)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Kakashi
+8|6240|Basingstoke FTW

SargeV1.4 wrote:

EDIT: nevermind, I didn't see XBOX. The levelling problem isn't as bad as everyone says it is, but it is bad. Speaking out of a lot of experience, I recommend that you just play the game normally even if you can't use mods. Your character will get stronger, but just not as much as you might expect him to be. However, the disadvantages of never leveling up outway the advantages, imo. So yeah, just carry on playing.

It's a real shame you've got the xbox version though. Lack of mods = bad.
agh dam it >< well i'll just get it for the PC as well then
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6684
if you're clever leveling up does make you stronger:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6419|New York
I've got the ps3 version, and so far my character is at level 10. I am going with a stealthy type mage character. Basically so i can get in, do some damage with the mulitplier, and back it up with some magic. It seems to work ok, I've got a pretty high speed, so I can get away if things get messy (over 70 now i think).

Basically, I can't use mods either, and I don't find it to be that bad. Although, as with any game really, things can get pretty hairy at times, but I find myself getting out of these bad situations intact most of the time. Plus, as you level up, you get better gear, and a lot of the quests you can do level with you. For example, completing a quest at level 1-5 will net you 500 gold, but doing the same quest when you're level 20+ will get you 2400 gold.

And sleeping is how you level up. So if you never sleep, you never level up, while all your skills keep increasing. So basically you'll have very high skills with a very low level and just destroy everything.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6797|UK
mods are what make elder scrolls games great.
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6686|Cambridge, England
I wouldnt go for marksman as it dosnt do enough dammage you cannot go though the oblivion relm with only a bow and arrow. Maby if you mix this with with amazing magic skills then it might work.
Zukabazuka
+23|6717

Kakashi wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

how does that work?? never sleep? wont that make u tired or something? sorry im a newbie to the game
Never heard of that one.

Anyway Did go theif with a bow and sneaking skills. Being able to do 3x the damage on almost everyone I back attacked was kinda fun . Oh and you can only do double or triple damage when you are in sneak mode or hidden from them, it doesn't matter if you hit the head or so.

I did go through Oblivion relm with a bow =P
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6613|SE London

Use the initial stats boost to get higher luck - because you only get 1 point of luck at a time when leveling. Try to balance the skills you increase a bit so you get +5 for each of the 3 stats you increase every time you level.

jimmanycricket wrote:

I wouldnt go for marksman as it dosnt do enough dammage you cannot go though the oblivion relm with only a bow and arrow. Maby if you mix this with with amazing magic skills then it might work.
Of course you can. Marksman and sneak are a deadly combination. It lets you pick enemies off from miles away. Works especially well with poisoned magic weapons and magic arrows.
Ettercrab
+11|6683|Finland
Levelling isn't really a problem, just play D&D style (xp gained mostly/only from killing/fighting)...

Pick only major skills that help you to kill things (blade, blunt, hand to hand, block, heavy and light armor, marksman or destruction), of course this means you cant make your character role-play-wise, but makes sure that you can play that persuasion-mini-game as much as you want without gaining "empty" levels (levels that don't help you to kill monsters (which level with you)).

On PC you could always use +5 modifier mod to ensure nice attribute bonuses without power levelling.

Hope this helps
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6684
Marksman not a useful skill? my first character's only offensive weapon was a bow, and I made it through pretty much the entire game with it (even killed mankar camoran with one arrow at the end). Marksman is for stealthy characters. If you've a high sneak skill then attacking from a distance can turn any fight into an easy one.

As Kakashi is new to Oblivion, here's some general tips:

Skill choices:

Only have ONE weapon skill. If you choose more, you'll still only use one and thus neglect the others, so you're stuck with useless skills. So make a choice between blade/blunt/marksman/hand to hand.
A combat based character should have heavy armor, block, and armorer to begin with. With a weapon skill on top of that you have 3 skills left. Athletics is useful too, so that leaves you with two. You should choose two magic schools as your last skills. I recommend restoration and illusion

A stealthy character should either have a blade or a bow. Blades are stronger in Oblivion, and the sneak attack bonus damage is much higher for a blade than a bow. If you simply prefer bows then you can still choose them, though. Prerequisits for a stealthy character are sneak, security, and illusion. acrobatics and light armor are usually chosen as well. Alchemy is good too. However, acrobatics increases a lot even if you don't have it as a major skill, and you can also choose to replace light armor with another magic skill as well.
A good stealth character should have: blade, sneak, security, illusion, alchemy, and a choice of: light armor, block, alteration, or mysticism. A final change would be to replace blade with destruction, but that's not a useful idea as you forfeit the sneak attack bonus

A mage should stick to all the magic skills and alchemy. But replacing one of the magic skills with a weapon is a good idea (magicka runs out)
Zukabazuka
+23|6717
Had really fun with the bow I had, could take out an entire cave with only 1 or 2 notice that I killed them even far enough so no one notices.

Then it depends on what game lvl you are playing on. Should be in the game option or so. Having it at half give you decent fight. Most can be killed in one shot in a sneak attack. Now raising it little above the middle make the enemies a lot stronger so test around but having it on the lowest isn't really fun.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6608|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

jimmanycricket wrote:

Wrong...on Morrowind ive been an archery whore...did the main quest and prolly about 80% of the game with a bow...sometimes its a pain in the ass but you can do it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

Zukabazuka wrote:

Kakashi wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Never heard of that one.

Anyway Did go theif with a bow and sneaking skills. Being able to do 3x the damage on almost everyone I back attacked was kinda fun . Oh and you can only do double or triple damage when you are in sneak mode or hidden from them, it doesn't matter if you hit the head or so.

I did go through Oblivion relm with a bow =P
In Elder Scrolls, you can raise your skills by practice, rather than by spending points. The difficulty of your opposition is determined by your level, not your skills. Therefore, you can increase your skills to ridiculous levels at the introductory level, while your opponents remain geared for newbie characters.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6499
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6684
to the contrary, you fail:
  • His copy of oblivion is for the xbox 360
  • I have already recommended a better mod, OOO
Kakashi
+8|6240|Basingstoke FTW

SargeV1.4 wrote:

to the contrary, you fail:
  • His copy of oblivion is for the xbox 360
  • I have already recommended a better mod, OOO
Thanks to eveyone who gave me advice im really taking a warming to these forums, and i agree with SargeV1.4, he wins ^^
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6696|NT, like Mick Dundee

Light Armour
Blade
Sneak
Security

+

Vampirism.

Oblivion is quite easy to beat when that method is used. Especially if you can get your hands on a large stash of blood potions to carry around.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
BornToKill67
It's a good day to die
+18|6691|Canada Eh?

jimmanycricket wrote:

I've done it...

But I had stealth with me too . Go as an evil, Wood Elf, assassin, thats what I am and I have no prob. handling monsters... I can usually 1 hit guys if I shoot from the shadows.
Kakashi
+8|6240|Basingstoke FTW

BornToKill67 wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

I've done it...

But I had stealth with me too . Go as an evil, Wood Elf, assassin, thats what I am and I have no prob. handling monsters... I can usually 1 hit guys if I shoot from the shadows.
sounds nasty, think i may try tht
+3|6516|UK, wots up wiv my karma? O
oblivion is so easy u wont really have trouble in the game. i have it on 360 and i have done pretty much all guilds (not mage , yet) the enemies are usually easy to kill. the only hard part is quests. but i just use online guides to do the hard ones. I did full on warrior. and i wud have bloody completed the game by now if it didnt bloody glitch up( on one of the mission's(the one were u ride the horse to the cloud temple)i abadondoned them and came back, only to never find the again o.0)(do brackets in breackets even make sense?)
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6687|Brisbane, Australia

Read up on a guide about proper leveling, I could explain it, but I dont want to.

And if you got console version, you missed out on a totally different game, not only can I just torrent my official plugins like SI and KOTN, but I get a heap of sweet mods which create an entirely and more challenging game.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

I still say everyone with Oblivion should try playing through the entire game without increasing their character level at all. It's monumentally easy. The most common and dangerous creature you'll encounter will probably be a wolf.

10973 wrote:

oblivion is so easy u wont really have trouble in the game. i have it on 360 and i have done pretty much all guilds (not mage , yet) the enemies are usually easy to kill. the only hard part is quests. but i just use online guides to do the hard ones. I did full on warrior. and i wud have bloody completed the game by now if it didnt bloody glitch up( on one of the mission's(the one were u ride the horse to the cloud temple)i abadondoned them and came back, only to never find the again o.0)(do brackets in breackets even make sense?)
Best way to do brackets within brackets is {[()]}, but you should never have to resort to so many layers. But you have way more grammar issues to worry about than parenthesis.

Oblivion is so easy that you won't really have trouble with the game. I have it on the '360 and have done pretty much all guilds', except for the mage. The enemies are usually easy to kill, so the only hard parts are the quests, so I just use online guides for the hard ones. I did full-on warrior, and I would have bloody well completed the game by now if it didn't bloody glitch up. I abandoned one of the missions (the one were you ride the horse to the cloud temple) and came back, only to never find it again o.0 (do brackets within brackets even make sense?).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-13 20:27:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard