commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6409|Michigan, USA

Thought this was an interesting article, wanted to share it with you:

A month ago while playing Final Fantasy XII, I fought my way to Tiamat, a vicious, huge-clawed dragon -- and couldn't get past him. No matter how many ways I threw my team at the beast, he ripped us to ribbons. Screw it. I decided to check an online FAQ for some hints defeating this thing.

"That's cheating," a friend of mine scoffed. "Really?" I wondered. Personally, I've always figured that using a FAQ might be lame -- like reading the Cliff's Notes version of War and Peace -- but it isn't cheating. It's not like I'm hacking the game with a Game Genie to illicitly acquire extra lives, right?

We never agreed on it. But our argument reminded me of something quite interesting: Video-game players often hold radically different views on what constitutes cheating. Today's digital fare represents the first time we've argued about the precise meaning of cheating.

It didn't used to be so hard to figure out. Johann Huizinga, one of the first big philosophers of ludology -- the study of play -- defined cheating as when you pretend to obey the rules of the game but secretly subvert them to gain advantage over another player. In traditional games, it's usually obvious. Stuffing an ace up your sleeve in poker, slathering a baseball in spit, moving the chess pieces when your opponent goes to the bathroom? Yeah, that's cheating.

Today's multiplayer games -- like Unreal online -- are pretty similar to the old-school stuff. If somebody uses an illicit aimbot to give themselves perfect targeting ability, most gamers agree that's unfair. But where things get super weird is with single-player video games.

What exactly are the "rules" in a single-player game, anyway? You're not competing against another human -- you're battling the computer, and, in a sense, yourself. On top of that, the game industry has actually co-opted the idea of "cheats" -- by hiding secret power-ups inside the games that publishers slowly, teasingly leak to the public as a marketing tactic. (They also collaborate on the creation of walkthroughs and game guides.) And then there are hardware hacks -- like the Game Genie -- which game designers don't particularly like, but which aren't illegal by law ... so what are they?

Confronted with this bewildering array of possible and permissible behavior, gamers have become almost Talmudic in staking out different stances. Mia Consalvo, a game academic at Ohio State University, interviewed dozens of players about their attitudes -- which she'll publish in the book, Cheating, this summer -- and found that we cluster into a couple of loose groups, each with a different ethical vision.

A small hardcore group are die-hard purists, like my friend. They don't use any cheats or guides, because they consider it "cheating yourself" of the subtle pleasure of getting stuck in a game -- then suddenly spying the way out.

The next group is the walkthrough folks, like me. We regard guides as a form of travel literature; I'd never have located all the cool, secret areas in Final Fantasy XII without a FAQ. (In contrast, the hardcore crowd seems to relish the idea that they'll miss out on stuff, because it's part of the mystery of game.) But I almost never use cheats or manipulations of code to grant myself "unearned" power. I like the idea that if I'm born into this virtual world, I'll abide by the fictions that govern its reality.

Then there's the final group of gamers -- the "by any means necessary" crowd, as it were. Like the ancient gnostics, or like Morpheus in The Matrix, they know the world around them is just code -- and the fun is not in obeying it but mucking with it. Single-player worlds are toys, to be hacked with any available Easter eggs, exploits or hardware mods; you can't have the truly l33t experiences if you're not tricked out with sick amounts of weaponry and skillz.

From this view, cheating a single-player game isn't possible because, as one interviewee told Consalvo, "you can't cheat a Gamecube -- you can only cheat another player." If part of the goal in a narrative game is to finish the story, what's wrong with using any tool at hand to do so?

I personally don't agree with the free-for-all position; I think self-imposed limits are what make a game a game. But this is the ultimately cool thing about the cheating debate: It's a form of moral philosophy. When I haggle with friends about single-player cheating, it's like arguing over different conceptions of sin. Can you commit a bad act when you're alone, in a room? Is morality limited to one's bad behavior to others, or does it extend to one's bad behavior to oneself?

These are the sorts of debates over justice that we humans love to engage in, but frequently don't -- because they usually crop up in domains like politics or religion, where we're afraid of offending others by seeming too puritan or too libertine. But when it comes to cheating? Let it fly!

Games are the perfect philosophical métier, because they're both supremely meaningless and meaningful -- they're "just" entertainment, yet they plunge such deep existential hooks into us that we'll argue over them until the sun explodes.

And, of course, being human we don't always stick to our own moral codes. When hard-core purists hit an unsolvable level, they'll sneak a peek at a game guide. Every once in a while I'll get sick of merely reading about a cool region I can't reach -- and go all Konami Code to get there.
Source

Any thoughts/comments?
0ji
+36|6225|Estados Unidos
I think using a FAQ or guide is ok because you still have to play to get past what you used it for, but when you hack or something, that is when it is considered cheating.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6713|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
In my own opinion, if you go to the FAQ/Strategy Guide first then that's cheating (and really freaking boring as well).  But if it's a single player game, you're stuck at one point and no matter what you think of you can't get past it, then it's fine to use the Strategy Guide.  I guess the general rule with single player games would be to just do what's fun for you, who cares if it's fair for the computer or not.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6763|UK
If i get stuck for a long time or have already completed a game and want to unlock everything i will use a guide. Thats as far as i go.
commandochristian
+293|6409|Michigan, USA

Vilham wrote:

If i get stuck for a long time or have already completed a game and want to unlock everything i will use a guide. Thats as far as i go.
Yep, me too - reading a game guide (i.e. Prima guide) is as far as I will go.  Additionally, I don't think this is cheating.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6745|Mark it zero.
I don't think that reading a game guide is "cheating." But I myself don't do it. I prefer figuring things out by myself. I really enjoy hard games that take a while to beat, so I don't want anyone else helping me out. I hate games that are easy.
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6669|Australia
Theres fucking game guides all over the place too for Bf2 so its not limited to single player game.

When I went for basic knife(Boy those were the days) I looked up guides.

If im getting stuck on a single player game ill use a guide, maybe even enter a cheat code here and there to get weapons, but never skip levels with em, as the story to the game might be interesting so dont want to miss it.
agent146
+127|6383|Jesus Land aka Canada
ok i admit i cheat on Day of defeat source by using a skin that turns all of the allies tiny green grenades into watermelons..... so i can see them better. but ya i use guides and stuff ...sometimes i go god mode on single player games ya
chittydog
less busy
+586|6832|Kubra, Damn it!

Wow, Tiamat. Reminds me of that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon I watched as a kid in the '80s. I think Tiamat's actually a girl.

Edit: Yup, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiamat_%28 … Dragons%29

Last edited by chittydog (2007-04-23 22:08:23)

Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6517
I definately needed a guide for the Xbox Castlevania (Curse of Darkness) game.  Who knew you had to get the crystals to get the last demon using a specific weapon with an obscure set of combinations to create it.

Too bad the demon sucked.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6516|Adelaide, South Australia

Vilham wrote:

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

I remember the good old days of Cheat Codes. I have been 'guilty' of using a Walkthrough for a few things - in Hitman Blood Money I actually read the walkthrough afterwards to see if I was doing everything right and to see if there was a better way, (I wasn't too far off.)

But yeah. With my really old shitty electronics store computer I got a game "Recoil" which I have since given to the kids I babysit sometimes. It has cheat codes like "Hemmit" for unlimited weaponry and "Cavalry" for invincibility. Screw Game Genis or Aimbots or whatever, getting a "Big Daddy" wicked black car with a missile launcher on top was wicked bad - not to mention the baby with the shotgun and the photon men.

Age of Empires the first was a beast for wicked bad cheats.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
too_money2007
+145|6305|Keller, Tx
I cheat when I've beaten the game and it becomes boring.

When I played Deus Ex I'd go into the level editor and change the game. Adding more weapons, ammo, implant upgrades, put a hole in a wall so I could get through things faster. Fun stuff.

In Oblivion, I started cheating on my second character because the game got so boring. There's nothing better than having a character with 200 to all attributes just sprinting across the world using that fire attack that deals 10k damage per hit.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6840|Waikato, Aotearoa
I dont cheat. Cheating generally means you REALLY REALLY suck @ that particular game (yes you BF2 haxors).
Its as simple as that
-101-InvaderZim

Ty wrote:

I remember the good old days of Cheat Codes. I have been 'guilty' of using a Walkthrough for a few things - in Hitman Blood Money I actually read the walkthrough afterwards to see if I was doing everything right and to see if there was a better way, (I wasn't too far off.)

But yeah. With my really old shitty electronics store computer I got a game "Recoil" which I have since given to the kids I babysit sometimes. It has cheat codes like "Hemmit" for unlimited weaponry and "Cavalry" for invincibility. Screw Game Genis or Aimbots or whatever, getting a "Big Daddy" wicked black car with a missile launcher on top was wicked bad - not to mention the baby with the shotgun and the photon men.

Never thought that using a walkthru is cheating. I dont consider it as such.....
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6574|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
FAQ only the first time i play a new single player game (And i try to do it by myself before referring to the FAQ)

And bunch of cheats after just to have fun (Ex: Half-Life 2)
commandochristian
+293|6409|Michigan, USA

Ty wrote:

OMG!  I completely forgot about Age of Empires!  That game had the awesome-est cheats!  I can't remember the code for it, but the robots that were like mini mechs (or mini 2142 walkers) and the photon man (and the nuke photon man) were great!   ... ahh good memories   Nothing like starting a new level, on hard, with max resources, and letting your enemies build massive empires, and then going in with mechs and nuke photon man and just tearing everything apart!
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6367|Stealth on Grand Bazaar
Damn long post. I guess I constitute anything that arficially aids you 'in' game so that you yourself are not doing it or it gives you an unfair advantage over another. Difficult subject to broach tbh, I find it hard to have an exact definition. Nice paragraphs there, sorry I didn't read all of it but it got tiring
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6494

Iddqd, Ftw!

Last edited by burni$te (2007-04-24 10:50:13)

SGT_Squirtle
+13|6712
I try never to use any help at all... I bought the game cause I wanted to find out what it was all about and what better way to find out than to play it.

Occasionally I will consult a FAQ if I haven't been able to figure out a particular location but only after trying what I feel is everything there is to try...

And very rarely I'll use built in game codes to get past parts that seem impossible (for example in Vampire Bloodlines during the final battles) but I only do this if I have seem to have no chance to making it through or the FAQs are telling me I don't have the right equipement.

Other than that I just play.

I do have friends who feel it's important to be first... so they'll buy the game same time I do, go home and find out how to turn on god mode, and then blow through the game in few hours... where is the fun in that? You just spend 50 bucks for a game you finished in 3 hours and missed half the game doing it and will probably be bored if you replay it.

I personally feel that if I can't get 40 hours worth of playtime out of my 50 dollar game then I've wasted my money... and trust me it's happened, and those games usually end up being regifted to friends and relatives.
-101-InvaderZim

SGT_Squirtle wrote:

I try never to use any help at all... I bought the game cause I wanted to find out what it was all about and what better way to find out than to play it.

Occasionally I will consult a FAQ if I haven't been able to figure out a particular location but only after trying what I feel is everything there is to try...

And very rarely I'll use built in game codes to get past parts that seem impossible (for example in Vampire Bloodlines during the final battles) but I only do this if I have seem to have no chance to making it through or the FAQs are telling me I don't have the right equipement.

Other than that I just play.

I do have friends who feel it's important to be first... so they'll buy the game same time I do, go home and find out how to turn on god mode, and then blow through the game in few hours... where is the fun in that? You just spend 50 bucks for a game you finished in 3 hours and missed half the game doing it and will probably be bored if you replay it.

I personally feel that if I can't get 40 hours worth of playtime out of my 50 dollar game then I've wasted my money... and trust me it's happened, and those games usually end up being regifted to friends and relatives.
Could not have said it better myself
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6402|NSW, Australia

i cheat...a lot
-101-InvaderZim
Altho, if I have already finished a game and did everything and went everywhere, then I might use a cheat
the 2nd, 3rd, 4th times for fun.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6727|Uhh... erm...
Power overwhelming. Nuff said.
BVC
+325|6692
I've used the odd cheat singleplayer, but if I want to truly "beat" a game I'll play without using SP cheats.  Its somewhat satisfying.

Multiplayer, never have, never will.  If I spawn on a squad leader in a building where he shouldn't be I'll TK him (TKing is okay here) and myself, and abuse him on VOIP until he either leaves the squad or kicks me.

Cheating has NO PLACE WHATSOEVER in multiplayer online gaming, I utterly detest it, and its what has me almost ready to uninstall BF2.  Cheat makers spoil the very reason we buy games and spend thousands on hardware and broadband connections to play those games.  If I ever meet a cheat writer I'll wait for the right moment and smash their face in.  Call it sad, but fuck it, I spend thousands to game and these twats fuck it up!!!  Ramzi if you're reading this I'm thinking of your ilk, you kiddy-fiddling cum dumpster, go kill yourself!

And for the record I consider macros a form of cheating, albeit not quite as serious as an aimbot, commander hack etc

Last edited by Pubic (2007-04-27 05:16:03)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard