xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Define empire.
empire     

–noun
1.    a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government: usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom, as the former British Empire, French Empire, Russian Empire, Byzantine Empire, or Roman Empire.
"Scholars debate about what exactly constitutes an empire (from the Latin "imperium", denoting military command within the ancient Roman government). Generally, they may define an empire as a state that extends dominion over areas and populations distinct culturally and ethnically from the culture/ethnicity at the center of power. Other definitions may emphasize economic or political factors. The term generally implies military hegemonic power"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire
So you think because the US has a large military, present in countries around the globe, it has a empire. Tell me, how many of those countries are the military succesful in organizing? Seen afganistan recently? Seen iraq?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6569|Oxford

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Define empire.
empire     

–noun
1.    a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government: usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom, as the former British Empire, French Empire, Russian Empire, Byzantine Empire, or Roman Empire.
"Scholars debate about what exactly constitutes an empire (from the Latin "imperium", denoting military command within the ancient Roman government). Generally, they may define an empire as a state that extends dominion over areas and populations distinct culturally and ethnically from the culture/ethnicity at the center of power. Other definitions may emphasize economic or political factors. The term generally implies military hegemonic power"

You still don't have an empire. Look up 'hegemony'.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

fatherted13 wrote:

So you think because the US has a large military, present in countries around the globe, it has a empire. Tell me, how many of those countries are the military succesful in organizing? Seen afganistan recently? Seen iraq?
Nobody said we had to bomb and stay right?  We could have just done what we wanted and left.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

RicardoBlanco wrote:

"Scholars debate about what exactly constitutes an empire"

Sorry, didn't know you were a scholar.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6569|Oxford

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Nobody said we had to bomb and stay right?  We could have just done what we wanted and left.
How noble. With a comment like that are you really surprised you draw criticism?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

And that constitutes having a empire?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
David.P
Banned
+649|6275
And i'm ignored. Shows how much of a contradictory race humans are.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6569|Oxford

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

I'm not. Fact is, neither are you, and until I see "The American Empire" anywhere in the annuls of history my argument stands.
motherdear
+25|6652|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

fatherted13 wrote:

ATG wrote:

But it's like 25:1 ratio.
On a side note, the poster that said we sit back and watch, may i remind you, that when the US, led by the Bush administration decided to go into Iraq, we were one of few countries that supported, and went in with you guys. And don't think we haven't lost in this war, albeit not on the casualty scale the US has unfortunately suffered.
why do you take this as a bashing of Britain, Britain is doing the right thing, the way I read what he said he meant the European in general
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

RicardoBlanco wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

I'm not. Fact is, neither are you, and until I see "The American Empire" anywhere in the annuls of history my argument stands.
now that, i will say qft to
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

fatherted13 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

No.  God you two are nuts.  I do not care if we have an empire.  There is no concrete definition.

YOU all say stay out of peoples business and stop going after your own interests.......yet you are obviously quite proud about when your country did the same thing.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

motherdear wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

ATG wrote:

But it's like 25:1 ratio.
On a side note, the poster that said we sit back and watch, may i remind you, that when the US, led by the Bush administration decided to go into Iraq, we were one of few countries that supported, and went in with you guys. And don't think we haven't lost in this war, albeit not on the casualty scale the US has unfortunately suffered.
why do you take this as a bashing of Britain, Britain is doing the right thing, the way I read what he said he meant the European in general
We post about britain, as it is where we reside. Im sure if i was german, id be saying the same stuff
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6569|Oxford

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

No.  God you two are nuts.  I do not care if we have an empire.  There is no concrete definition.

YOU all say stay out of peoples business and stop going after your own interests.......yet you are obviously quite proud about when your country did the same thing.
Of course we're happy, we're not the ones in the spotlight, that happened years ago. Back on topic, "What is behind anti-american feelings"
motherdear

fatherted13 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Define empire.

if you look at Afghanistan it's doing fine actually, almost no fighting anymore, and their infrastructure is getting really up and runnning again, they only need to get the last few troops stationed in the north-eastern part of the country, because the have already handed a number of provinses over to the afghans. in Iraq though they got a lot of hatred against each other because of the sunni favoring by Saddam.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6710|Charlie One Alpha

Kmarion wrote:

Perhaps they should stop and ask themselves how could such a pathetic mediocrities built the richest, most powerful exemplary society in history.
Ha... ha.. hahahahah!
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

motherdear wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

if you look at Afghanistan it's doing fine actually, almost no fighting anymore, and their infrastructure is getting really up and runnning again, they only need to get the last few troops stationed in the north-eastern part of the country, because the have already handed a number of provinses over to the afghans. in Iraq though they got a lot of hatred against each other because of the sunni favoring by Saddam.
Helmad province aint lookin too stable...
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

fatherted13 wrote:

Neither is Compton near LA...what is your point?
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6475|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Thats nothing like Helmand province!

All we hear on the news it 2 British soldiers have been killed or 3 killedin a roadside bomb or the british basecamp was attacked, helamd is very unstable right now and needs alot..ALOT of work doing to make the region stable again.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

ELITE-UK wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

All we hear on the news it 2 British soldiers have been killed or 3 killedin a roadside bomb or the british basecamp was attacked, helamd is very unstable right now and needs alot..ALOT of work doing to make the region stable again.
Ok?  Would you rather have the Taliban there still training terrorists?
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6757|United States of America

ELITE-UK wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

No area is stable anymore it seems... Look, I could say that Iraq isn't stable, which is very wrong.  It is extremely stable compared to other things that have happened. One or two dead soldiers a day isn't much at all. Go back to WWII when thousands died each day. Vietnam had a high casualty rate. Korean war had a relatively high casualty rate.  When it comes to war, this is a very good one.  The only war better than it was the First Gulf War. Quit bitching over how people have died, it happens. This is a very successful campaign to others in the past. But I suppose since it's 2007 any deaths are not worth it.  "The risk and sacrifice of a few are worth the freedoms of many" -Unknown
motherdear

fatherted13 wrote:

motherdear wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

In Autumn 2006, British troops started to reach "cessation of hostilities" agreements with local Taliban forces around the district centres where they had been stationed earlier in the summer [4]. Under the terms of the agreement, both sets of forces will withdraw from the conflict zone. This agreement from the British forces implies that the strategy of holding key bases in the district, as requested by Hamid Karzai, is essentially untenable with the current levels of British troop deployment. The agreement is also a setback for Taliban fighters, who were desperate to consolidate their gains in the province, but are under heavy pressure from various NATO offensives.

after what i know it has only gotten better since then, and hearts and minds are won over time and they are doing that really well in the other provinces and their infrastructure is being build up and is begining to work properly and the happiness of the afghan people is increasing, it's just a matter of time before the insurgents stop in helmand and the afghans take over.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

ATG wrote:

m3thod wrote:

This bitch captures what most people think,

Most people bear no animosity towards the Americans and care little what they do on their own soil. They do, however, bitterly resent the ultra-violent foreign policy of the US government. With its love for wars of aggression, the principal exports of the US are suffering, death and destruction. And of course its blind support to Israel in the enslavement of the Palestinian people is monstrous and unforgiveable.

Annie McStravick, Paris
Would you like a tissue? Your frothing at the mouth and the drool is splattering everywhere.

Do you have any idea how much food, medicine and goods and services the United States exports every year?

http://www.agr.gc.ca/mad-dam/img/bi/v19n04-3_e.gif

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/rice/G … orting.gif
Wahhhh wahhhh "we give money to poor people" just far less of your income than every other fucking MEDC. Get over yourselves, your the LEAST generous MEDC, and dont give me this crap about "its the amount we give" because it isnt! Its how much of your life you are willing to give up!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Miller wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

No area is stable anymore it seems... Look, I could say that Iraq isn't stable, which is very wrong.  It is extremely stable compared to other things that have happened. One or two dead soldiers a day isn't much at all. Go back to WWII when thousands died each day. Vietnam had a high casualty rate. Korean war had a relatively high casualty rate.  When it comes to war, this is a very good one.  The only war better than it was the First Gulf War. Quit bitching over how people have died, it happens. This is a very successful campaign to others in the past. But I suppose since it's 2007 any deaths are not worth it.  "The risk and sacrifice of a few are worth the freedoms of many" -Unknown
200 people just died last week in a bombing, and you say that it's stable?!
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6757|United States of America

ghettoperson wrote:

Miller wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

200 people just died last week in a bombing, and you say that it's stable?!
It is very stable.  9/11 was more unstable than Iraq is at this time.  Like I said, look at other wars from the past. Iraq is a very great success. There is still more to be done, but if people keep moaning about it then it will never get done.
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6351|Iowa...

David.Podedworny wrote:

And i'm ignored. Shows how much of a contradictory race humans are.
no,it just means that they can't think of anything to prove you wrong.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard