notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
All right, I was going to put this in Tech, but I think that's reserved for computers only, so here it is, in the Junk Drawer.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys have any background in car audio systems?  I'm going to be buying a new car soon and it comes with the stock factory installed sound system.  Granted, there's nothing wrong with that, but I love my musicks, so I'm probably going to want to upgrade it.

Problem is, I've never had to do anything like this before.  The last car I had already had a pretty decent sound system installed, and all I did was replace the deck since the guy I bought the car off of decided to keep it.

So...what do I need?  Amp, subwoofers (probably 2), and some speakers (most likely 4).  Plus the in-dash deck.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy...I don't need my car to have a DVD player or PS2 or anything in it...I just want my music to sound good and get somewhat loud.

Now, I'm looking at bestbuy.com since there's a store near my house and they seem to have a pretty user-friendly site when it comes to this kind of stuff.  I can input what kind of car I have into their site and it'll tell me if what I'm looking at will fit or not...and they have free installation.

Also, any certain brands I should be looking at?  I've heard good things about Pioneer, Infinity, and Alpine...but Sony also has some pretty good prices on things, especially package deals which include an amp, subwoofers, and a woofer box.

So um, yeah.  Any suggestions?  Brands I should look into?  Certain products that work well?  Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff, so any information would be appreciated.  Thanks all.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6386|The Gem Saloon
ok, first, are you buying the car from a dealer?

Last edited by Parker (2007-04-21 00:39:52)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

ok, first, are you buying the car from a dealer?
Yes, but it's used.  It's not a brand new car.

Sorry, I probably should've said that.
Parker
isteal
ok, lets go from there....what kind?
the problem is going to lie in what kind of system the factory put in.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

ok, lets go from there....what kind?
the problem is going to lie in what kind of system the factory put in.
Probably a 2001 Chevy Malibu.

...don't laugh.  It wasn't my first choice. 
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6648|Brisbane, Australia

You should ask Resident Leb, Jestard, he's got the fully sickest subwoofar in all of Melbourne.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Sarrk wrote:

You should ask Resident Leb, Jestard, he's got the fully sickest subwoofar in all of Melbourne.
Haha, thanks Sarrk.  I'll send him a PM.
Parker
isteal
no judging here, besides that worked in your favor for this.

ok, you wont need to remove any "bose premium" bullshit and that will save you alot of money.
start with the head unit....alpine is the way to go, i know sony looks nice with those cheap prices but trust me, you cant cheap out on the head unit.
start looking for the best alpine you can afford. post a link when you find one.

are you looking to get subs? if so do you want the "fuck your ear" bass, or just the make the music sound really nice bass?

edit: i like this head unit

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 6840027318

Last edited by Parker (2007-04-21 00:48:42)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

no judging here, besides that worked in your favor for this.

ok, you wont need to remove any "bose premium" bullshit and that will save you alot of money.
start with the head unit....alpine is the way to go, i know sony looks nice with those cheap prices but trust me, you cant cheap out on the head unit.
start looking for the best alpine you can afford. post a link when you find one.

are you looking to get subs? if so do you want the "fuck your ear" bass, or just the make the music sound really nice bass?
This one doesn't seem too bad.  At least, I don't think so.  Just so long as it's below, say, $300, I should be able to afford it.

As for the subwoofers, yeah, I'm looking to get them.  Volume is nice, but I'd much rather have the bass just sound really good than get really loud.  If it can do both, then awesome, but if not, I'd definitely be in favor of having nice, rich, deep bass.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

edit: i like this head unit

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 6840027318
That would work too.  Like I said, I really don't know much about this stuff...so I'm totally open to suggestions.
Parker
isteal
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 7444900148

these will work for rears.

get some infinities or bostons for the front whatever the size is...prob 5 or 6 inches.

Last edited by Parker (2007-04-21 00:57:29)

Parker
isteal
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 8124880920

these are fucking badass.....you get two of them in a box....damn.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8228955&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03077&id=1167444900148

get some infinities or bostons for the front whatever the size is...prob 5 or 6 inches.
Weird.  I was looking at those...and the ones that are $10 more.  But I honestly don't know what the difference is between the two.

And yeah, I think the fronts are 6 inches.
Parker
isteal
that will work for an amp, though you could do better.....an amp is where most of the money will go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 0289779116
Parker
isteal

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Parker wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8228955&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03077&id=1167444900148

Weird.  I was looking at those...and the ones that are $10 more.  But I honestly don't know what the difference is between the two.

the difference is one is a 2-way speaker and one is a 3-way speaker.
get the three way if you dont have subs, get the two if you do.

oh and im sure someone else will come along and tell you all this is shit.....thats kind of how some people are with systems, if its not theirs its crap. i could show you a bunch of different shit, but this is what i would do if i was spending the money.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Parker wrote:

the difference is one is a 2-way speaker and one is a 3-way speaker.
get the three way if you dont have subs, get the two if you do.

oh and im sure someone else will come along and tell you all this is shit.....thats kind of how some people are with systems, if its not theirs its crap. i could show you a bunch of different shit, but this is what i would do if i was spending the money.
Awesome.  Thank you, by the way.  I definitely appreciate the advice.  As it was before, I was just kind of going on what I thought looked cool and didn't cost a whole lot...
Parker
isteal
are you planning on getting an alarm?
that is something i would invest in first and foremost.....besides remote start from a quarter mile away is just bad ass....better yet, rolling down your windows so the hot air blows out before you get in is even better than that.

this is what i have in my car and the wifes....i traded some knives for them though from a buddy that works electronics........expensive, but worth it.

http://www.clifford.com/Products/Produc … ductID=700

Last edited by Parker (2007-04-21 01:12:31)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

that is something i would invest in first and foremost.....besides remote start from a quarter mile away is just bad ass....better yet, rolling down your windows so the hot air blows out before you get in is even better than that.
The car I'm looking at has keyless entry and an alarm system...should I still look into getting one?
Parker
isteal

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Parker wrote:

The car I'm looking at has keyless entry and an alarm system...should I still look into getting one?
yes, its probably factory and therefore, shit.
check out that clifford, it will tell you when people are even near your car, plus the remote start shit......as long as you are within around a quarter mile.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Parker wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Parker wrote:

yes, its probably factory and therefore, shit.
check out that clifford, it will tell you when people are even near your car, plus the remote start shit......as long as you are within around a quarter mile.
...holy shit.  That thing is...nice.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
I guess I should be thankful for Parker...since the rest of you are useless. 
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

You could get some new Rockford Fosgate subs, 12" maybe, with a 1000 watt amplifier.
Also, get some tweeters.

I'm not too good with audio and stuff, but just get a few subs, a high-powered amp, and maybe 2 tweeters, and you should be fine.

The brands I would go with would be Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood. There are more, but I can't think of them.

Post some pics oncee your done TMo, I wanna see your pimped out ride
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6527|Valhalla

Ryan wrote:

The brands I would go with would be Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood. There are more, but I can't think of them.
Audiobahn best looking subs/speakers on the market and there not that expensive

Last edited by loonitic (2007-04-21 09:50:51)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
https://img.mercadolibre.com.pe/jm/img?s=MPE&f=823852_1811.jpg&v=P

...eh?
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

Just a tad big.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard