Poll

On average, which is more useful for the team, high SPM or high KD?

Spm44%44% - 116
Kd55%55% - 142
Total: 258
Ninja_Kid2002
+119|6273|Floodsville, TN, (UK really)
I put SPM, because high SPM means you're either caping lots of flags, or reviving and healing lots of team mates, so that's best for the team.
However, high KDR means you are not using many tickets, which is also good for the team.

I stick with SPM since you can have a high KDR and still lose the match with all your flags lost. (Though you can do this with SPM if you're only reviving and not caping)
im_in_heaven
+27|6593

terrafirma wrote:

I am not sure either way on this. 

Here is a question to ponder though:

What if I go 40-10, but 30 of my kills are subsequently revived by the other team.  Have I done anything positive?
Heres a wacky question. Am i missing something or.... why are you not a Lt. General already?
adv3rsary
+28|6721

chittydog wrote:

I hope everyone who voted K/D is always on the other team. You guys make it easy for me to keep my W/L ratio high!
lol.. right
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6660|Westminster, Colorado

im_in_heaven wrote:

terrafirma wrote:

I am not sure either way on this. 

Here is a question to ponder though:

What if I go 40-10, but 30 of my kills are subsequently revived by the other team.  Have I done anything positive?
Heres a wacky question. Am i missing something or.... why are you not a Lt. General already?
I need to get to 1250 hours to get that rank.
officer_matt
I eat noobs for breakfast
+23|6234|Switzerland

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

I put SPM, because high SPM means you're either caping lots of flags, or reviving and healing lots of team mates, so that's best for the team.
However, high KDR means you are not using many tickets, which is also good for the team.

I stick with SPM since you can have a high KDR and still lose the match with all your flags lost. (Though you can do this with SPM if you're only reviving and not caping)
Good reasoning! I voted for SPM
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6621|Kent, UK
spm, more points= more killing or more reviving/resupplying excetera
kd could just be whoring in a heli despite them having no bases, but then again so could spm....
having a high team point count is better for a team than kd
Megalomaniac
Formerly known as Missionless
+92|6333|105 RVK
a medic that revived 50 ppl in a round with 0.3 KD or a sniper that went 20-1, hmmmm
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6596|Reisterstown, MD

chittydog wrote:

I hope everyone who voted K/D is always on the other team. You guys make it easy for me to keep my W/L ratio high!
1.51 is high?  lmao.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6815|Marathon, Florida Keys
I go for the kills, thats why my team score is low compared to my combat score. But im so 1337 i get awesome k/d ratios and get a spm of around 8. I own.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
GameOver
+14|6268|Hungary

Marinejuana wrote:

On average, which is more useful for the team, high SPM or high KD?
Although I am convinced that a high K/D is more useful for the team than a high SPM, after my 318 hours of playing experience I still have to say: SPM. Let me explain this:

I am quite a good player in terms of K/D, but I am only average in terms of SPM. Also my Win-Loss Ratio is only average just like my SPM. But I think that most of the losses were not my fault.

I can kill a lot of enemy alone but I cannot win the round alone. Whether I win or lose, it doesn't depends only on me. Usually there are 10 other people on my side, and the victory depends on the performance of these players, as well. If the victory would depend only on me(if there would be a Game Mode '1 vs. 1' and if I would play only this mode), I think my Win-Loss Ratio would much higher.

Basically what I say: You can kill a lot of enemy, thus you can get a high K/D, but it's completely useless if most of your teammates suck, you will still lose despite your high K/D. Let me show you 2 screenshots: one from me and one from PlaneWhore. I think these screenshots speak for themselves.

I think a high K/D is more useful for the team than a high SPM only if your teammates don't suck, only in cases when at least half of your teammates have a better K/D than 1, otherwise your K/D will be completely useless, considering its effect on the outcome of the round - no matter how high it was(I mean your K/D).

By the way I would have a question: Let us suppose that we would organize a war between two teams(ten players in each teams). Team K/D against Team SPM. Team K/D would consist of players who are skilled at killing enemies and at how not to die often, but are only average at getting a high SPM(just like me). Team SPM would consist of players who are skilled at getting high SPM-s but they aren't as skilled at killing enemies as members of the Team K/D. Which team do you think would win?

I think Team K/D would win, because members of the Team SPM would die a lot more, they would only stare at the spawnscreen therefore they were unable to do what they are good at. (Because nobody can do anything if he is dead.)

Last edited by GameOver (2007-04-21 16:19:23)

sgtdude1987
+8|6222|midlands britain
Its like most of you have already stated! High K/D helps assuming most of your kills arn't revived and high SPM obviously helps with all the flag capping ect!!!
so if i had to choose i guess it would be SPM as that may include a high amount of kills! nothing no one else hasnt already said
l41e
+677|6654

Varies wildly according to situation. And sometimes neither.
jsnipy
+3,276|6528|...

kdr > wlr > spm
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6633|Warlord

jsnipy wrote:

kdr > wlr > spm
WLR > SPM??
7thEs_ChibiKrillin
+3|6669

GameOver wrote:

Basically what I say: You can kill a lot of enemy, thus you can get a high K/D, but it's completely useless if most of your teammates suck, you will still lose despite your high K/D. Let me show you 2 screenshots: one from me and one from PlaneWhore. I think these screenshots speak for themselves.
It's a team game, one person can make the difference, but not if an entire team sucks. There is only one thing in BF2 that reduces tickets outside of ticket bleed, and that is deaths. SPM indicates both kills and team points. Team points do not reduce tickets.  Generally, a higher SPM is going to go hand in hand with KDR.

The numbers in the first screenshot you posted run down like this:

MEC:
Kills - 114
Deaths - 202
Players' Total Score - 402

USMC:
Kills - 184
Deaths - 94
Players' Total Score - 504

The numbers don't provide any incite as to which is better, but USMC has a much greater KDR than MEC.

Screenshot number two is a little difficult to break down, due to not all the players being displayed, but here are the numbers for what we can see:

MEC:
Kills - 198
Deaths - 206
Players' Total Score - 547

USMC:
Kills - 225
Deaths - 180
Players' Total Score - 536

I added the commanders' KDR, as well as their negative team points. While MEC won, USMC had the greater KDR as far as we can tell. Again, the numbers are funny due to not every player being listed. Arty kills are not displayed which also botches the information.

I think actually figuring out specifically which effects the outcome of a round, on average, we would need to have multiple infantry only map screenshots with 42 people or less. Then again, the only thing that reduces tickets is bleed and deaths...

Last edited by 7thEs_ChibiKrillin (2007-04-21 18:08:40)

GeT-TwisTeD
+7|6284
ok one thing that sets them apart u can't tell skill from spm because if you play IO it's going to be high hands down than if you play vehicles.  U can tell skill from KDR because it shows how much your cappable of killing, and if you say its high cause of vehicle whoreing...well it took probably for ever to get to a point were u can go 30-1 and many deaths
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6506|Valley of the Dragons

7thEs_ChibiKrillin wrote:

It's a team game, one person can make the difference, but not if an entire team sucks ...
Eh ... fail?
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6555|EUtopia | Austria
I think these both go hand in hand. You could argue that with a high spm you revive many teammates, so they don't die - still, in the end the team that had more incidents will lose
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6376|Stealth on Grand Bazaar

ssonrats wrote:

Both.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6591|Seattle
if u have a high score per minute and high kill to death ratio, then ur owning and probably helping as much as u can.

if u have a high score per minute, but low kill to death ratio, then u are still probably useful because (padders aside) u are keeping team members or vehicles alive, or u are on flags causing them to turn faster and end battles, and u are probably charging the enemy repeatedly with your teammates causing enemies to be outnumbered and killed by your team's best guns (if not your own gun).

if u have a high kill to death ratio, but low score per minute, chances are you arent very useful, there are probably way too many potential flag cappers that you arent killing. they are spawning at a much higher rate than u kill, so u are not personally preventing very many enemies from running around the map killing your dudes. Keep in mind that nobody has to die to lose a flag, so even if u are still alive after your team has been raped, u arent changing the situation for your team. if anything you are making it worse because by not facing the enemy next to your teammates, you are leaving them to be overwhelmed by the more aggressive enemy. There is always the possibility that the few people u kill are very critical people, though, so there is potential for the team, but if you are able to kill the best players evey time, or if u are able to kill everybody that comes to a flag (which should be continuously), then your SPM will be high.

if u have low SPM and KD, then you probably aren't doing much.

Because you can be useful without a good KD, but almost can't be useful with a low SPM, I'd say SPM is more important. At either extreme, they usually go hand in hand, but low SPM KD players are pretty much useless. They are a lot like statpadders actually.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2007-04-25 12:08:19)

Drexel
+43|6482|Philadelphia
Vote nulled.

The only thing you need is players that want to win.  I'd rather have these players on my team than those trying to get a k/d ratio stat or a spm.  Both of those stats are worthless. 

Case in point:

My team is full of people working together, medic/at/suport squads, running around and grabbing flags.  Your team is waiting for the jet so that they can camp the carrier and get a huge K/D.  And every time you kill one of our guys, what do you know?  Medics there to revive them, so we don't lose that ticket. Because we grab all the flags quick, and stay and defend them, we don't get a huge SPM.

7thEs_ChibiKrillin wrote:

Team points do not reduce tickets.
So you're saying that if I kill no one, but cap every flag but 1, causing you to lose 1 ticket every second, that's not going to reduce tickets?

Last edited by Drexel (2007-04-25 12:15:45)

NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6474

My SPM is higher than KDR...

But I like KDR better!
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6846
well... SPM because usually that means you are killing, reviving, and capturing/neutralizing more than the other team with a higher KD ratio.  (Point of view from matching)
Skexis
+6|6464
Kill death ratio means you, as an individual, are inflicting ticket loss. Of course, unless you're in a plane or a helo, you can really only be in one place at any given time.

SPM means you're capturing flags and allowing your team to use other spawn points, as well as better vehicles. You're making a better situation for the team as a whole, meaning more ticket loss from not having flags, and the ticket loss that's going to come naturally out of combat and having access to things like armor.

It's a no-brainer. SPM. Unless all you play is Karkand.
Brasso
+1,549|6636

More useful? SPM.

Showing higher skill? KDR.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard