=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6542|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
America is a essentially a mish-mash of inherited European cultures and new cultures that have derived from these.  Before, any "Patriots" get at me and tell me how different to us you are and how your colonial past has no relevance to today's America, let me say that all countries are like this.  Yours just happens to be younger than most.  For example, I live in England but I know that the English language is a mish mash of Greek, French, Latin and Germanic languages.

America is mostly Christian because Britain was when it colonised it.  Sorry to offend religious types but common sense tells you that your religion is dictated by the country/family you come from.

With that in mind, I wonder what the World climate today would be like if the Middle East had have colonised America and it was a Muslim country today.  Now, if you presume that they would have made all the same advances as the Europeans-turned Americans over the same time and became as strong financially what do you think the current World issues would be?

This isn't strictly a "would the USA be invading Iraq if they were a Muslim country" question but in terms of everything.  It's quite an interesting thought when you think about it.

Personally, I think that Muslim terrorism wouldn't exist but Christian terrorism might.  I'm not saying, all Islamic terrorists are jealous of Christian USA's wealth but the fact that these so called problem countries in the Middle East are poor and can't dictate World politics like the USA does play a big part.  I think if America was a Muslim country and it helped the Middle East the same way as it does Israel (which almost certainly wouldn't exist either) today, I can't see any of them being as volatile as they are today.

Purely hypothetical but interesting none-the-less.

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2007-04-19 10:28:47)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
Too far a leap of the imagination to be able to come up with realistic theories. They may not have intervened in WWII for example. Maybe they wouldn't have impeded Latin American progress and assertiveness. Maybe the ultra-capitalism practiced by the US would not be being globally exported as part of 'globalisation', perhaps the concept of Zakat would be being spread instead. Too many permutations.

The only thing that would be a definite is that Israel wouldn't exist.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-19 09:04:33)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

But there were Christians in America in the 4th or 5th century, until the Lamanites killed them all.

CameronPoe wrote:

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-04-19 09:17:18)

jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

CameronPoe wrote:

Too far a leap of the imagination to be able to come up with realistic theories
I would have done less acid and would probably have 4 more kids.

I predict Kmarion will say ...

Kmarion wrote:

We would be less tolerant, more resistant to change, our women would probably be denied equality, and probably blame everyone else for our incompetence (Under the guise of the Great Satan).

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-04-19 09:27:13)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

We would be less tolerant, more resistant to change, our women would probably be denied equality, and we would probably blame everyone else for our incompetence (Under the guise of the Great Satan).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6768|Kansas, USA
If the US had been colonized by a Middle Eastern country then England would be part of the Germaic Republic.
too_money2007
+145|6300|Keller, Tx
I wouldn't exist if that happened....
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Lowing would never leave his home.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

I predict Kmarion will say ...

Kmarion wrote:

We would be less tolerant, more resistant to change, our women would probably be denied equality, and probably blame everyone else for our incompetence (Under the guise of the Great Satan).
I predict Kmarion pointing out your edit time and his post time .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637

Bertster7 wrote:

But there were Christians in America in the 4th or 5th century, until the Lamanites killed them all.

CameronPoe wrote:

yeah and U.S. if it was a Muslim country would spread Islam around the world.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6542|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Psycho wrote:

If the US had been colonized by a Middle Eastern country then England would be part of the Germaic Republic.
I was gonna post some facts about WW2 and how the US were no more important than any of the Alliance but then I saw where you live so I won't bother.  [satire]Life wouldn't be that different for you though, you'd still have about twenty kids which you'd teach how to shoot "the different people", have no concept of anything outside a 300 mile radius and inter-family breeding.[/satire]

too_money2007 wrote:

You might have done, improbable but if you did you'd just live somewhere else.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Psycho wrote:

Why?  Would Russia have been colonized by a Muslim country too?
tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6492|gulf of oman

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

America is a essentially a mish-mash of inherited European cultures and new cultures that have derived from these.  Before, any "Patriots" get at me and tell me how different to us you are and how your colonial past has no relevance to today's America, let me say that all countries are like this.  Yours just happens to be younger than most.  For example, I live in England but I know that the English language is a mish mash of Greek, French, Latin and Germanic languages.

America is mostly Christian because Britain was when it colonised it.  Sorry to offend religious types but common sense tells you that your religion is dictated by the country/family you come from.

With that in mind, I wonder what the World climate today would be like if the Middle East had have colonised America and it was a Muslim country today.  Now, if you presume that they would have made all the same advances as the Europeans-turned Americans over the same time and became as strong financially what do you think the current World issues would be?
If by Middle East Islam do you mean Osman Sayed's newly formed Ottoman Empire in the 13th Century? What would have become of the America's had it been the Ottoman's that came here instead of the French/Spanish/Dutch that came here around that era? Who is to say what would become of them with 800 years of different history to mold them. Had they come to America instead of fighting the Byzantine Empire of Eastern Europe, they might have had a different outcome on the Americas. They would have no doubt warred with the Indians which would have changed that aspect of history. Some changes in Europe would have been never having formed the House of St. George (under Byzantine rule) and Vlad Tepish would not have come to be known as the Son of the Dragon (Dracula).

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

This isn't strictly a "would the USA be invading Iraq if they were a Muslim country" question but in terms of everything.  It's quite an interesting thought when you think about it.

Personally, I think that Muslim terrorism wouldn't exist but Christian terrorism might.  I'm not saying, all Islamic terrorists are jealous of Christian USA's wealth but the fact that these so called problem countries in the Middle East are poor and can't dictate World politics like the USA does play a big part.  I think if America was a Muslim country and it helped the Middle East the same way as it does Israel (which almost certainly wouldn't exist either) today, I can't see any of them being as volatile as they are today.

Some form of terrorism would still exist. The oppressed would surely be lashing out at the oppressors. Most heros and demigods are born this way, the will of the oppressed or downtrodden to not be that way.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6552
What wopuld of happened is that little by little they would have turned America into a desert from all the tribal wars that would have been going on from the beginning.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

Lowing would never leave his home.
yeah I probably would, If I escaped my peace loving religion's tortures and genocides, I would make my way to the nearest western culture, settle in and bitch about how I am being treated, and how everyone in that country better start conforming to ME.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
Parties would be boring without beer.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

Pug wrote:

One of the oddest thing I ever saw (especially for an Irishman) was a Muslim wedding reception at a hotel I was staying at in Petra, Jordan. The men were in one room, the women in another, nobody drank a drop and they all went home by 10pm!

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-19 12:12:16)

too_money2007
+145|6300|Keller, Tx

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Psycho wrote:

I was gonna post some facts about WW2 and how the US were no more important than any of the Alliance but then I saw where you live so I won't bother.  [satire]Life wouldn't be that different for you though, you'd still have about twenty kids which you'd teach how to shoot "the different people", have no concept of anything outside a 300 mile radius and inter-family breeding.[/satire]

too_money2007 wrote:

You might have done, improbable but if you did you'd just live somewhere else.
I think the odds of my father and mother meeting, or existing themselves, would be a number to great to cite here.
bigdroo
+7|6419|Yooahss-ayy!
I wonder what England and Ireland would have been like if they had been attacked and conquered by the Moors. What if the Mongols had taken ALL of Europe? Why do people enjoy using the United States for their what-ifs? What if monkeys flew out of my butt?
motherdear
+25|6643|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

I live in England but I know that the English language is a mish mash of Greek, French, Latin and Germanic languages.

actually it's a mix between celtic and scandinavian (the former language the danes, norwegians and swedish talked back in the invasion of Britain)
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6542|CH/BR - in UK

The first person to say "the world would be under constant attack of terrorists" gets slapped. Right here, right now.
@topic:
As this is a really far leap in imagination...erm...As CamPoe said, I don't think we could make any accurate theories whatsoever.

-konfusion
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

CameronPoe wrote:

Pug wrote:

One of the oddest thing I ever saw (especially for an Irishman) was a Muslim wedding reception at a hotel I was staying at in Petra, Jordan. The men were in one room, the women in another, nobody drank a drop and they all went home by 10pm!
And that's HARDCORE partying for them!

If the US had been colonized by muslims? We'd probably have stricter laws, stricter punishments, and suicide bombings when someone disagreed with something.

Just like Iran!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
Now is quite a far ways off from when it was colonized hundreds of years ago. You can speculate what we would've done during WWII, but you can hardly even suggest it would have happened. It's a bit of a stretch that everything would have happened the same way.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
why was I born catholic?  because some assholes in europe decided to force an afterlife on everyone.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6542|CH/BR - in UK

konfusion wrote:

The first person to say "the world would be under constant attack of terrorists" gets slapped. Right here, right now.

Poseidon wrote:

suicide bombings when someone disagreed with something.
*SLAP*

-konfusion

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard