Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6766
Cam I disag.... wait a second. Yea, I agree with you on this one. lol
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
I've said my gun law policy on other threads and cam is right there is a different culture here that alot of other countries don't know about.. We are what we are and guns are a huge part of our culture..
{DGC}{jr.}Blitzkrieg
+10|6837|Arizona
Thanks
danCer
teh m0nsta
+314|6717|Germany
So should I care if I plan maybe on coming to your country for vacation?

Or should I also check for a security agency that would protect me and my family during the vacation?

Or shall I go to another country with less "jesse james" to spend my vacation?

Should I worry about the people I know over there?
Wait no, they live in Florida and can shoot anyone that makes a step on their lawn and say he was a intruder.
---great relief---

Don't worry I won't tell you not to wear guns, but the laws how to get a weapon differ from state to state, right?
A better background check and some national wide checks and requirements who could own a gun would be a improvement.
agent146
+127|6388|Jesus Land aka Canada

Smitty5613 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

everything in USA is a threat dontchaknow sheeeeeeeeesh - arm yourself to the teeth quickly!!!!!!!
zomgs even teh citizens themselves! we must defeat our enemy - the citizens!
um..... sure....
well from what i see in America; its citizens are split in every way: race, religion, wealth. ie, kkk, black panthers, Muslims, west boro baptist church,  poor people, various political groups, hippies, etc.  ya so in a way sadly the Americans are fighting against themselves.
   As for gun control, i think it should tighten but not on lawful abiding citizens but rather on the illegal trading, selling, and shipping of unregistered guns.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I've said my gun law policy on other threads and cam is right there is a different culture here that alot of other countries don't know about.. We are what we are and guns are a huge part of our culture..
That's what I'm talking about. The pros and guns of 'the right to bear arms' in America is a rather futile discussion because IT IS American culture, stemming from the wild wild west days - frontiersmen and all of that romanticism. Given that the US has little genuine non-borrowed culture this is something traditionalists seek to preserve. To criticise the actual 'right to bear arms' itself, part of the US consitution, is futile: it's like when people criticise the Irish for their culture of alcohol consumption - nothing will EVER change it and if most Irish are honest with themselves they are quite 'proud' of their drinking ability and grand old drinking culture and are irked by those who criticise it.

To suggest amendments as to how guns are dealt with in USA is acceptable but to decry the right to bear arms is like telling a muslim not to face Mecca when praying or telling an Irishman that prohibition must be introduced in Ireland - it's part of what America is and repealing the right to bear arms is just not a feasible or practical course of action to take: it would be impossible to implement.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-19 02:07:46)

PekkaA
+36|6666|Finland
Cameron, are you trying to say that americans are so stupid or arrogant that it's useless to suggest them to do something that might make living easier? With same logic we could stop sending condoms to africa, along with teaching how to use them to avoid aids. Using them is not part of their culture and many religious leaders find it extremely offensive.

Just look at your own posts here. How many countries have you criticized? And all of a sudden you get this idea that it's not acceptable to do so... How did you become such a turncoat?

And btw, americans are first to 'educate' other nations, even with brute force.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

PekkaA wrote:

Cameron, are you trying to say that americans are so stupid or arrogant that it's useless to suggest them to do something that might make living easier? With same logic we could stop sending condoms to africa, along with teaching how to use them to avoid aids. Using them is not part of their culture and many religious leaders find it extremely offensive.

Just look at your own posts here. How many countries have you criticized? And all of a sudden you get this idea that it's not acceptable to do so... How did you become such a turncoat?

I generally criticise other countries when actions they take reach beyond the country in question. I don't criticise Iranians for Islamic rules meaning women have to wear veils, I don't criticise Finland for becoming so economically dependent on one company - Nokia. I criticise countries foreign policies. I sometimes criticise the internal policies of another country if it reflects badly on me to the rest of the world who regard us all as part of a greater 'western world'. The right to bear arms in America does not make natives in my next tourist destination think that I'm an idiot, but things like Guantanamo Bay detention centre does.

If it's any consolation I do believe Europe has a vastly superior policy on guns but how dare you call me a 'turncoat'! Turncoat against who? I express one opinion you might not expect me to have and suddenly I'm a turncoat? Whatever.

PS Aids is an epidemic which the Vatican tacitly help spreads by decrying condoms as evil - nice intervention on their part. Incidents like that at VA Tech are few and far between.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-19 03:30:56)

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
Wrote that when I was really drunk and maybe I didn't get my point across.. Like Canadan's rode mooses across the ocean to get to Canada, and Cuban's build boats out of anything and everything to get out of Cuba. America was a country built on the gun, I don't belive that states like Virigina and PA have the best gun laws on Pistols but a large majority of American's suppliment there diet with Rifles.
I've never owned a gun or gone hunting but I've learned how to use one, because it could become a necissity for me to live. You never know if you look at England and then you look at America, we have a vastely bigger country and I'm assuming that we have a lot more wildlife. I'm a huge fan of the "cool" off period for firearm use in this country, for every state. But I only live in one where it's time consuming to get a sidearm. If you don't know what a cool off period is it's usally a 3 day period to retain a firearm so if you're going to use it for Murder or Suicide you'll have that period to "cool off". As far as banning guns across the country that is and should be impossible..

BTW what are Canadian or Mexican Gun laws?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2007-04-19 07:09:38)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

To decry the right to bear arms is like telling a muslim not to face Mecca
Breaking News: Praying Muslim farts and kills 20 people.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6552|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

CameronPoe wrote:

PekkaA wrote:

I generally criticise other countries when actions they take reach beyond the country in question. I don't criticise Iranians for Islamic rules meaning women have to wear veils, I don't criticise Finland for becoming so economically dependent on one company - Nokia. I criticise countries foreign policies. I sometimes criticise the internal policies of another country if it reflects badly on me to the rest of the world who regard us all as part of a greater 'western world'. The right to bear arms in America does not make natives in my next tourist destination think that I'm an idiot, but things like Guantanamo Bay detention centre does.

If it's any consolation I do believe Europe has a vastly superior policy on guns but how dare you call me a 'turncoat'! Turncoat against who? I express one opinion you might not expect me to have and suddenly I'm a turncoat? Whatever.

PS Aids is an epidemic which the Vatican tacitly help spreads by decrying condoms as evil - nice intervention on their part. Incidents like that at VA Tech are few and far between.
1) I think the US lax gun controls make the Western World seem less civilised than it should be, so I am following your morals when I critisise them.

2) The Virginia Tech was an isolated incident (well, that's debateable seeing as the US seems to have a school massacre per president) but the Condom thing isn't and can't be compared with it.  That is an ongoing Church policy that kills people every day and everyone has the right to critisise it if it is leading to innocent lives being lost.  Whatever you think about gun control, you can not argue against the fact that 33 people wouldn't be dead if there were controls (to avoid the yeah but he could have used a baseball bat response, I mean all 33 people) and thus if you can critise the Church's policy, you can critisise the US policy.

...unless you think you can't question the church and if so I would ask you to think about that one.
HeimdalX
+37|6652

danCer wrote:

So should I care if I plan maybe on coming to your country for vacation?

Or should I also check for a security agency that would protect me and my family during the vacation?

Or shall I go to another country with less "jesse james" to spend my vacation?

Should I worry about the people I know over there?
Wait no, they live in Florida and can shoot anyone that makes a step on their lawn and say he was a intruder.
---great relief---

Don't worry I won't tell you not to wear guns, but the laws how to get a weapon differ from state to state, right?
A better background check and some national wide checks and requirements who could own a gun would be a improvement.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

Oh look a German school shooting.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The far left media has placed responsibility on Big Business and the Bean Manufacturing industry. They are demanding an immediate tax increase to fund better more efficient ways to purify the air.

On a serious note. I think what Cam is trying to say is that it is a domestic issue. He just spelled it out for the hard headed. It is kinda how I feel about Russia right now. I think there are some questionable things going on but until it pours over into foriegn policy we have no right dictating to them how they should handle their internal affairs. (Extreme human rights issues excluded)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The far left media has placed responsibility on Big Business and the Bean Manufacturing industry. They are demanding an immediate tax increase to fund better more efficient ways to purify the air.

On a serious note. I think what Cam is trying to say is that it is a domestic issue. He just spelled it out for the hard headed. It is kinda how I feel about Russia right now. I think there are some questionable things going on but until it pours over into foriegn policy we have no right dictating to them how they should handle their internal affairs. (Extreme human rights issues excluded)
Ok, until Iran nukes another country, the UN Security Council should leave them alone.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Ok, until Iran nukes another country, the UN Security Council should leave them alone.
Serge - my point is this: US gun culture doesn't affect us, Iran developing nuclear weapons might. It's about boundaries. We each have our opinions on US gun culture but in the end that's what it is - culture - and changing a culture that doesn't affect outsiders is like shifting a mountain and is generally not an outsiders task or business. They aren't violating human rights or anything. Let them make their own mistakes on their own patch would be my take on it.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-19 08:04:34)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Holy shit! Who did they nuke before? ..lol

If you cant see the difference between the impact of a 9mm or a Nuclear weapon I really don't know what to say.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Serge - my point is this: US gun culture doesn't affect us, Iran developing nuclear weapons might. It's about boundaries.
I get your point, I just don't share.  Besides, what you or I may say in a forum won't change a bit another country's policy.  It's just a matter of opinion. Iran using Nuclear Energy is not about boundaries as long as they don't make nukes.
san4
The Mas
+311|6690|NYC, a place to live

CameronPoe wrote:

Given that the US has little genuine non-borrowed culture...
Excuse me? We invented movies in which stuff gets blown up.
too_money2007
+145|6310|Keller, Tx

CameronPoe wrote:

As a non-American I'd like to state the following: US gun laws and US gun crime is an internal affair for Americans. I personally could not give a shit if they legalise selling SAM missiles to 3 year olds - that's their business. I don't think it's pointful as a foreigner to harp on about legislation in another sovereign country that will not extend beyond the boundaries of the sovereign country you're criticising or impact upon anyone outside said boundaries. My two cents.
Thank you. Finally, someone outside the US actually doesn't talk about how we need to do things differently, when they have no say so in the first place.

Well done.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356
No genocide here, yet.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6845|Waikato, Aotearoa
Im just wondering how many more tragedies it will take before the US Senate gets its finger out of it's arse and
give serious thought to its firearms laws. This is something that could have been avoided.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470

Parker wrote:

they just think that since there laws work for them they will work for us.
finally a voice of reason from across the pond.
This is correct. While I do believe guns are to easy to obtain in the US I do not think they should be banned altogether. Banning guns worked in other countries because guns weren't as mainstream as they are in the US, and because of that a ban on guns in the US would cause more harm than good. In other countries where guns have not been assimilated into the culture guns have been banned with success, but I do not think it would be the same in a country where guns are so mainstream.
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6660|South West England
Duty Free SAM's.... i like the sound of that
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6396|The Gem Saloon

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

Parker wrote:

they just think that since there laws work for them they will work for us.
finally a voice of reason from across the pond.
This is correct. While I do believe guns are to easy to obtain in the US I do not think they should be banned altogether. Banning guns worked in other countries because guns weren't as mainstream as they are in the US, and because of that a ban on guns in the US would cause more harm than good. In other countries where guns have not been assimilated into the culture guns have been banned with success, but I do not think it would be the same in a country where guns are so mainstream.
right, as i posted in a different thread, guns are a part of our heritage.....our history. when i was a kid i got told stories of big men killing with big guns....and it was glorified. the list of people that are idolized by many people in this nation again-daniel boone, wild bill hickock, wyatt earp, buffalo bill cody etc.
jesse james, a terrorist is made out to be some sort of "robin hood" bank robber.

but, no a complete ban would never work. i am all for further regulation, as much as it scares me. i have a deep fear that further laws on guns would cause a trickle down effect to knives....thats what i make for a living, and its already hard as hell for me to sell autos/switchblades in the US without breaking federal laws. are my knives going to be used to stab someone.....there is a slight chance, however alot of my knives arent meant to be used at all....as in show knives. $1100 is alot of money to spend to stab someone....but that is my fear because that is my income. but i still support further regulation, hell MY WIFE carries a .38 revolver in her purse for safety. i would love to not have to carry to feel safe.

anyway, im glad you get my point.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6703|Little Rock, Arkansas

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

1) I think the US lax gun controls make the Western World seem less civilised than it should be, so I am following your morals when I critisise them.
How, exactly, does the US's internal policy on firearms reflect poorly on the "western world?" It's an internal policy that doesn't restrict anyone's human rights. Acutally, it's more Lockean than the policies of the country that gave us Locke. I would argue that it is more giving of "rights" than those of the European countries, and therefore something to be emulated rather than disparaged.

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

Im just wondering how many more tragedies it will take before the US Senate gets its finger out of it's arse and
give serious thought to its firearms laws. This is something that could have been avoided.
I disagree. Crazy people will always find ways to kill others, if that is indeed their goal. This guy didn't gas a subway, he didn't hijack an airliner, he shot up a college. He picked somewhere he knew he would be safe to execute and complete the mission he built in his head. He could have driven into downtown Richmond and purchased (with less hassle, i might add) the same firearms he used to commit his murders at roughly the same price the dealer gave him.

I think that it's a problem of perception. Remember, in the US the media gets free reign. We don't have the press restrictions that exist in the rest of the world. And we have created this huge industry who's self-appointed job is to provide us with news. News being defined as current events. Therefore, they have to find new things to talk about everyday. An event like this really has no effect on the vast majority of the country, outside of giving us something to talk about around the water cooler.

I, for one, am totally unaffected by the shooting. I know no one involved, it affects me in no way whatsoever.

ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, all these news agencies want me to think that it affects me, so I'll watch their coverage, increase their ratings, and they'll make more money.

I'd rather watch a baseball game on TV.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard