unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Trivia: I've been installing Windows XP onto computers with SATA hard drives since the os came out. Each time, I was required to provide a SCSI driver diskette for the installation process. Today, I installed Windows 98 SE onto a computer with a SATA hard drive. No diskette was required. So...what happened to Microsoft's driver database between 98SE and XP? I guess it'll remain as yet another unsolved MS mystery.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

Hmm... interesting. Maybe it's a BIOS or a CRC thing.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

King_County_Downy wrote:

Hmm... interesting. Maybe it's a BIOS or a CRC thing.
Same applies across a broad spectrum of boards with a wide variety of installation CD's. I'd say it's just a screwup.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-04-18 02:59:08)

GeoEnvi
+22|6696|Philadelphia, PA
I just performed a fresh install of XP last Friday and DID NOT have to provide SCSI driver disc.  You are installing SATA interface drives not SCSI, so why would it need it?

Still, I know what you're talking about...

During the XP installation, there's a prompt at the bottom of the screen that asks for "3rd party" SCSI or RAID drivers           IF        you want to use them instead of the default windows drivers OR configure your RAID.  I'm pretty sure that you don't HAVE to install them.  XP should install just fine if you skip that prompt.  It worked for me on Friday.

Last edited by GeoEnvi (2007-04-18 15:52:54)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

GeoEnvi wrote:

I just performed a fresh install of XP last Friday and DID NOT have to provide SCSI driver disc.  You are installing SATA interface drives not SCSI, so why would it need it?

Still, I know what you're talking about...

During the XP installation, there's a prompt at the bottom of the screen that asks for "3rd party" SCSI or RAID drivers           IF        you want to use them instead of the defaul windows or BIOS drivers.  I'm pretty sure that you don't HAVE to install them.  XP should install just fine if you skip that prompt.
That's what I was thinking. I've never HAD to use them so I always just let it skip that part when it asks.

I've only installed xp on a SATA drive a hand full of times though.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6661
XP with SP2 has native SATA drive support. I'm not 100% sure on pre-SP2 though.

You do not need to install drivers for SATA drives at the initial setup. If you want to take full advantage of the drive then you install the motherboard chipset drivers. (after windows installation)
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6576|NYC / Hamburg

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

XP with SP2 has native SATA drive support. I'm not 100% sure on pre-SP2 though.

You do not need to install drivers for SATA drives at the initial setup. If you want to take full advantage of the drive then you install the motherboard chipset drivers. (after windows installation)
XP (without any SP) works great for installing on SATA disks.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

You guys have gotten lucky, because throughout all of my (pre-SP2) installations, XP-P discs have consistently failed to detect SATA hard drives unless I "provided the SCSI/RAID driver diskette." If I did not, Windows install could no longer continue because it couldn't detect an HDD (despite it being seen upon boot). 98SE, on the other hand, as I recently found out, has no such issues.

Thus the post. How can 98SE see something that XP-P cannot? SP2 or not, XP is still a newer product. The logic is befuddling.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-04-20 12:54:52)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard