usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6821

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

And smuggled to the speakeasy.  People will find a way to make guns.
You have watched way too many MacGuyver episodes.
I hated that fucking show...I watched Airwolf.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6621

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Either way, the point is that backyard manufacturing of an effective and useful firearm is unlikely at best.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6821

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Either way, the point is that backyard manufacturing of an effective and useful firearm is unlikely at best.
I don't think so.  But oh well.
JimmyBotswana
+82|6645|Montreal
omg this thread was started yesterday and there's already 16 pages. Probably 50 by the time you read this. Jeez this is a touchy subject. Guys seriously, you have too many fucking guns in your country. Make a plan to get rid of them. You have like 30,000% more gun deaths than Canada but only 1000% more people. Don't you think it's possible that your laws have something to do with it?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6621

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

I don't think so.  But oh well.
Firearms are complex pieces of machinery, and just getting the parts would be difficult.  Much less someone smart enough to build one.

Edit:  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the ever useful Jimmy Botswana is back.  Hooray .

Last edited by Bubbalo (2007-04-18 20:34:43)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No, actually there were large smuggling operations involving Canadian liquor.   Large amounts of liquor consumed in speak-easys were not home-brewed.
Right, so the firearms will be smuggled in from Canada...........except that a sudden jump in production like that might, just maybe, give authorities a hint.
No.  You said it was bootlegged from moonshine.  I was once again showing you that is not the case.

If I want you to come to a conclusion, I will spell it out for you.  No need to assume.

Also, we have a large amount of gun manufacturers here.  Manufacturers that sell to outside countrie, still allowing for some one to rob a manufacturing plant.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6621

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Also, we have a large amount of gun manufacturers here.  Manufacturers that sell to outside countrie, still allowing for some one to rob a manufacturing plant.
Yes, because it's not like you can secure the facilities or anything....................................
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6821

Bubbalo wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yes, because it's not like you can secure the facilities or anything....................................
Can't secure a persons knowledge.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

Bubbalo wrote:

Firearms are complex pieces of machinery, and just getting the parts would be difficult.  Much less someone smart enough to build one.

So tough to build even a Pakistani in a cave with no industrial machinery can make them.

next argument?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-04-18 20:39:35)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

Bubbalo wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I understand that.  I am simply rebutting this -

Bubbalo wrote:

4)  Australia only has sea borders, yet we do fine, for the most part (there have been homicides involving firearms, but only ever targetted assasination/organised crime related stuff: that is, crimes that would happen anyway, they just would have garrotted or poisoined them instead)
and this -

Bubbalo wrote:

The weapons involved the crimes were pistols, I'm pretty sure.
However, I may have interpreted what you said wrong on the second one.
Both of which were referring to life after restriction (hereafter LAR).  It's like if I said that air travel meant that people could travel much faster and you said "Nuh-uh, it took Australia's first governer general more than half a year to get to Australia".  Of course it did.  That was before air travel.
I failed to read where you posted that you were referring to 'LAR'.  Was it implied, or did you state it somewhere?

Horrible analogy by the way.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-04-18 20:41:37)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6821

Bubbalo wrote:

Edit:  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the ever useful Jimmy Botswana is back.  Hooray .
Ahhhhhhh yes..

"Where did the tops of the Twin Towers go?" - JB
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6781|Sydney, Australia

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You know what I find absolutely ridiculous?  Fertilizer manufacturers put industrial chemicals and waste into their product, and then wonder why it is used in bombs.  Stop putting industrial waste in fertilizer, maybe then you won't be able to fashion a bomb using it.

Carry on with the topic.
As opposed to what?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

mcminty wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You know what I find absolutely ridiculous?  Fertilizer manufacturers put industrial chemicals and waste into their product, and then wonder why it is used in bombs.  Stop putting industrial waste in fertilizer, maybe then you won't be able to fashion a bomb using it.

Carry on with the topic.
As opposed to what?
organic materials.  Anything that isn't a byproduct of weapons building, or industrial manufacturing.

edit: ok I'm done here.  Too many posts.  Some one else care to comment?

check the official drunk thread in a few hours...

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-04-18 20:48:45)

bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6715|Lancaster Ohio, USA

JimmyBotswana wrote:

omg this thread was started yesterday and there's already 16 pages. Probably 50 by the time you read this. Jeez this is a touchy subject. Guys seriously, you have too many fucking guns in your country. Make a plan to get rid of them. You have like 30,000% more gun deaths than Canada but only 1000% more people. Don't you think it's possible that your laws have something to do with it?
You're missing the fundamental point here. We as Americans have been so ingrained with the right to firearms that we will not give them up, ever. End of story. There is no way they will just out and right ban all firearms, and every time you mention the word ban you automatically put the pro-gunners on the defensive because we know what you want to do and we don't want that to happen. Does it really matter how many guns we have? I have 8, too much? Maybe in your eyes not in mine, it's all a matter of personal perspective. So please before you get too wrapped up here just realize what you are stirring up, we will never be able to see on the same level as long as you are throwing the ban word around. Regulation is ok, banning is not the solution in the USA.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6621

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So tough to build even a Pakistani in a cave with no industrial machinery can make them.
Industrialisation is about mass production, not about complexity.  They were able to build them thanks to tools and training from the Russians.  So, unless you think the KGB is actively assisted organised crime in the US, it's a moot point.
I_SUCK_999
2 old & slow to pwnd U
+5|6507|Alice Springs
16 pages - far out.

I love guns - but don't have any. and I think the USA has way too many in civilian hands - but they have that right given to them by their Government. Most of the western world has disarmed their civilian populations - apparently for safety reasons.

Time to lock this thread, hey?
mcminty

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

organic materials.  Anything that isn't a byproduct of weapons building, or industrial manufacturing.

edit: ok I'm done here.  Too many posts.  Some one else care to comment?

check the official drunk thread in a few hours...
I believe those Blood and Bones fertilizers have more of a long-term effect, while the non-organic ones can only take a week or two to make a noticable difference.

What chemical compunds are put into fertilizer, that are "a byproduct of weapons building, or industrial manufacturing"?

Mcminty.
Reciprocity
+721|6640|the dank(super) side of Oregon

I_SUCK_999 wrote:

16 pages - far out.

I love guns - but don't have any. and I think the USA has way too many in civilian hands - but they have that right given to them by their Government. Most of the western world has disarmed their civilian populations - apparently for safety reasons.

We have too many guns in the wrong Civilian hands.  Gangbangers shouldn't have guns, Crazy people shouldn't have guns, kids shouldn't have unsupervised access to guns.  Me, I've never commited a crime, in 10 years of driving I've never even been pulled over.  Currently I own 7 firearms, I keep trigger locks on each one in addition to being locked in a heavy safe that is bolted to the floor.  They are all legally purchased and unmodified.  I shoot for recreation and I don't hunt and I do not belong to the NRA.  Can you please give me one good reason why I should not be allowed to own firearms.  and I'm not confronting your in particular, but the idea.
mcminty

Reciprocity wrote:

I_SUCK_999 wrote:

16 pages - far out.

We have too many guns in the wrong Civilian hands.  Gangbangers shouldn't have guns, Crazy people shouldn't have guns, kids shouldn't have unsupervised access to guns.  Me, I've never commited a crime, in 10 years of driving I've never even been pulled over.  Currently I own 7 firearms, I keep trigger locks on each one in addition to being locked in a heavy safe that is bolted to the floor.  They are all legally purchased and unmodified.  I shoot for recreation and I don't hunt and I do not belong to the NRA.  Can you please give me one good reason why I should not be allowed to own firearms.  and I'm not confronting your in particular, but the idea.
That is the perfect! In my mind, I have not problem with you using the weapons. It's just all the other types of people you mentioned that shouldn't have them.

Mcminty.
Smitty5613
+46|6586|Middle of nowhere, California
people talk about how locks should be put on your guns, but how are you gonna defend your house if someone breaks in and all ur guns have locks on them... locks sound good, but what happens if the kids manage to find the keys?? i dont have any kids yet, but when i was small my parents kept their firearms in the back corner of their closet unlocked, if i was curious about them they would take them out and show them to me... they drilled me on how i shouldnt touch them without supervision and that if i wanted to see one, all i had to do was ask... so i never went in their by myself... its the kids who's parents try to hide the guns from them and the kids find them, and they dont know how to handle them because they werent told enough and they were excited to touch them......
Reciprocity
+721|6640|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Smitty5613 wrote:

people talk about how locks should be put on your guns, but how are you gonna defend your house if someone breaks in and all ur guns have locks on them... locks sound good, but what happens if the kids manage to find the keys?? i dont have any kids yet, but when i was small my parents kept their firearms in the back corner of their closet unlocked, if i was curious about them they would take them out and show them to me... they drilled me on how i shouldnt touch them without supervision and that if i wanted to see one, all i had to do was ask... so i never went in their by myself... its the kids who's parents try to hide the guns from them and the kids find them, and they dont know how to handle them because they werent told enough and they were excited to touch them......
Sounds like your parents did a good job.  I totally agree, guns should not be a big secret or mystery, especially to kids.  The specific reason I keep my firearms secured in an immovable safe is because I couldn't stand the thought of a criminal stealing a firearm belonging to me and using it to commit a crime or harm someone.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6845|Perth, Western Australia
This is how it is. Gun control wont work in the USA imo. This is because the ownership of firearms is so deeply rooted in their culture that there would be a revolution pretty much if people tried to restrict things enough to lower the levels of guns violence. This means the only way to makes things safer is to go in the opposite direction.

Sure, hell, give everyone the right to be packing in public. Welcome to the old days of the wild west boys and girls, where everyones a cowboy!

Only problem is this. Some sick bastard walks into a public place and starts shooting people. You know odds are he's not going to stop shooting until someone shoots him or he shoots himself. So Citizen Joe doesn't stop to yell "freeze, put the gun down", he just unholsters and lets fly. Citizen Jim arrives on the scene after hearing gunshots. He sees Joe gun the sick bastard down and thinks "Oh shit, someone on a rampage" and the same thoughts run through Jim's mind, about how psychopaths generally dont like to stop shooting people, and seeing as hes now mistake Joe for the psychopath Jim unholsters and starts shooting at Joe.

Voila. There we go. The ORIGINAL gunman is down, but down your public place/mall/school/college has turned into a wild west shootout.

Now, I've fired a Glock 19*, one of the guns used by the VT shooter. I can't tell you how amazingly scary it would be living in a society where I know that everyone I see walking down the street is packing a gun. While its none of my business, it is sad that American culture is so insane and obsessed over firearms that the only way they can feel safe is if they have MORE firearms

*Who'da thought the one of two models of gun I've ever fired would be used by that guy....

Last edited by SharkyMcshark (2007-04-18 23:40:04)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6453|The Gem Saloon

SharkyMcshark wrote:

This is how it is. Gun control wont work in the USA imo. This is because the ownership of firearms is so deeply rooted in their culture that there would be a revolution pretty much if people tried to restrict things enough to lower the levels of guns violence. This means the only way to makes things safer is to go in the opposite direction.

Sure, hell, give everyone the right to be packing in public. Welcome to the old days of the wild west boys and girls, where everyones a cowboy!

Only problem is this. Some sick bastard walks into a public place and starts shooting people. You know odds are he's not going to stop shooting until someone shoots him or he shoots himself. So Citizen Joe doesn't stop to yell "freeze, put the gun down", he just unholsters and lets fly. Citizen Jim arrives on the scene after hearing gunshots. He sees Joe gun the sick bastard down and thinks "Oh shit, someone on a rampage" and the same thoughts run through Jim's mind, about how psychopaths generally dont like to stop shooting people, and seeing as hes now mistake Joe for the psychopath Jim unholsters and starts shooting at Joe.

Voila. There we go. The ORIGINAL gunman is down, but down your public place/mall/school/college has turned into a wild west shootout.

Now, I've fired a Glock 19*, one of the guns used by the VT shooter. I can't tell you how amazingly scary it would be living in a society where I know that everyone I see walking down the street is packing a gun. While its none of my business, it is sad that American culture is so insane and obsessed over firearms that the only way they can feel safe is if they have MORE firearms

*Who'da thought the one of two models of gun I've ever fired would be used by that guy....
thats a really great post man-+1 for you.

you seem to understand the issue that wouldnt allow a european type of gun control policy. i have a few things though...
you talk about the chance that the person who legally carries the gun getting shot because they are mistaken for the perpetrator. while that scenario could very well happen the chances are very remote....i know the chances of a guy walking into a school and doing that is also remote, but my point is that at least where i was trained (i dont know about anyone else) i was taught that if you need to use your firearm that you make it very clear that you are not the bad guy....whatever you need to do, most of the instructions included putting the gun away and making sure that people can see your hands. once the police arrive it is your responsibility as a gun owner that has a concealed carry license to make sure they know what has transpired.

the other topic i wanted to address was the wild west term.........
i live in st louis, missouri. the number one most dangerous city in the USA. i carry a handgun almost everywhere i go, and i believe that is something that i have earned by proving myself responsible enough to do so. not only have i taken the required classes and paid for the licenses, but i practice a MINIMUM of once a week. i have never even had to put my hand on my gun out of fear or discomfort. i carry it to protect my family and myself. when i come home the handgun goes into a wall safe along with my wifes .38 that she carries. if i need to defend my house i have a 20 ga shotgun that will do the job fine. the reason i have a shotgun at my house is that i am a responsible gun owner that has done my research and learned that if i loaded that 20 ga shotgun with #4 birdshot, it wont penetrate walls......it will only do damage to what is in the room with me.
that doesnt sound like the wild west does it? and st louis is about as close as you can get regarding shootings.

you do understand our obsession though, and that is something i need to commend you on.
since i was a little kid i heard stories about men like-daniel boone, jesse james, wild bill hickock, wyatt earp, buffalo bill cody, doc holiday and many others.....glorifying killing with thier guns. i dont know why jesse james who so clearly was a terrorist against the union in the civil war is made out to be a glorified bank robber......its just part of us. our country was started with the ability to defend ourselves with firearms. in this day and age it is highly unlikely that a country would invade this country but it has grown far beyond that.
when i was 12 my single mother bought me a .22 long rifle and took me to the shooting range to shoot. why?
because its almost a tradition in some parts of this country.

like i said, great post. i just hope you dont think the us is like the wild west.....thats only some places...like "The Hill".
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6610|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

imortal wrote:

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

Miller wrote:

Why is this still being discussed? If guns are banned kills by knives go up.
But kills as a whole go down.
Okay, here is some fun math for you.

City:  Dallas, Texas
Gun status;  ownership legal, Concealed carry legal.
Population: 1,188,580
Murder/manslaughter: (2005) 202
murder rate: 1 murder per 5,884 people
murder per 10,000 population: 1.70

City:  Washington DC
Gun status;  ownership illegal, Concealed carry illegal.
Population: 572,059
Murder/manslaughter: (2005) 195
murder rate: 1 murder per 2933 people
murder per 10,000 population: 3.41

City:  Kennesaw, Georgia
Gun status;  ownership REQUIRED, Concealed carry legal.
Population: 21,675
Murder/manslaughter: (2005) 0
murder rate: unable to determine.
murder per 10,000 population: 0

City:  Atlanta, Georgia
Gun status;  ownership legal, Concealed carry legal.
Population: 416,474
Murder/manslaughter: (2005) 90
murder rate: 1 murder per 4627 people
murder per 10,000 population: 2.16

Does this tell you anything?
I hate these unscientifc statistics, you can't compare Texas with washington DC so simply.  Have you heard of demographics, social happiness, general menatality that would all have an affect of gun crime and not just the laws.  Of course there is going to be more crime is big industrial cities over farmland states. 

If the British Government legalised guns in Hertfordshire, you would still have more gun crime in London because of the mentality of the people who live there. 

P.S. Maths is plural, it's short for mathematics.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6610|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Reciprocity wrote:

Cho could have said exactly the same thing up until he did what he did.  It's all very well you saying how responsible you are but that's your word.  Again, I come back to Iran, they say that they would be responsible with nuclear technology but do you trust them even though you actually don't know the regime?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard