Dersmikner
+147|6494|Texas
I'm not a great player, and the highest points I've had don't touch most of yours.

I've been well over 100, with something like 32 kills and 10 deaths and a bunch of team points, and that was cool, but the other day I sniped the East Wall at Karkand (with a different username, a new one whose stats weren't completely jacked from the word go) in a 64 man server and went 17 kills and 0 deaths.

Would you rather go something like 25 and 0, for something like 55 points, or 35 and 15 for 100?

I kinda like the thought that I went an entire round, start to finish, and nobody got me. Never even had to be revived. I consider it my best round ever, even though I didn't get 1/3 of the points I've gotten in other rounds.
Janja
Jiggaboo Jones
+11|6378|FLOOR E DUH
how bout who cares, it doesnt make a difference.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6402|NSW, Australia

whatever gets me more points.
PASSUBY
+30|6629|Louisiana

<<<FTDM>>>Gen.Raven wrote:

ssonrats
+221|6641
Depends, the better k/d ratio's reward you more with a sense of pure pwnage, or you could medic fag the map up for more points (which most people do).
Madiz
is back
+26|6753
My usual sniping day 55-0, 45-1 max is 5 deaths and kills max is 90+.
https://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/Madiz991/signa.jpg
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6669|The Real World

I think you need to ask which one did I enjoy most. Don't play for stats play for enjoyment.
ssonrats
+221|6641

Madiz wrote:

Even though you have 1.9 k/d with the sniper rifle, mkay.
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6445|Newcastle NSW Australia

Madiz wrote:

Not what ur stats say.

But I'd rather work on getting a better kdr as points dont matter in a clan war.

Last edited by Invaderzim (2007-04-16 04:52:17)

Jameseyy
Banned
+108|6224|Scotland!
As long as I'm above a 2:1 ratio I'm happy.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6497|Valley of the Dragons

ssonrats wrote:

Madiz wrote:

Even better his streak is 43

I would prefer 17-0 because that would mean you had a 17 kill impact on the enemy while he made none against you.

Last edited by Jemme101 (2007-04-16 05:39:18)

Marinejuana
local
+415|6581|Seattle

ssonrats wrote:

Depends, the better k/d ratio's reward you more with a sense of pure pwnage, or you could medic fag the map up for more points (which most people do).
I know there are some folks around here that think sniping is neat, but regardless of how much you like it, you can admit it does almost nothing for the team. Especially when compared to medics... Arguably the only useful kit in IO.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2007-04-16 06:21:41)

tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6735|Pakistan/England

Jemme101 wrote:

ssonrats wrote:

Madiz wrote:

I would prefer 17-0 because that would mean you had a 17 kill impact on the enemy while he made none against you.
i would completely agree with that. but then again i think most snipers would
Canadian_Sniper_X
+45|6485|Kamloops, BC Canada
well assault has best killing power IMO (but then assault + medic = ultimate killing)

you need support for ammo unless you suck terribly (ie. you die all the time so you never actually run out of ammo)

snipers are useful to aggravate the other team (claymores and instant kills)

I do agree that medics are the most useful, but they die easier because of lack of body armour.

One of the best things medics are good for is getting double kills with the GL. when they go down for the revive you get 2 free kills.
ssonrats
+221|6641

Marinejuana wrote:

ssonrats wrote:

You can get your good kill to death ratio as a sniper, knowing that most of the people get revived or were of no threat to your flags to begin with. You can essentially know that u had minimal impact on the round. Or you can play medic, constantly rushing flags and gunning first, get far more kills, a similar ratio, 50+ team points, and win the round for your team. I know there are some folks around here that think sniping is neat, but regardless of how much you like it, you can admit it does almost nothing for the team. Especially when compared to medics... Arguably the only useful kit in IO.
I don't care if our team loses.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6623|Warlord

Dersmikner wrote:

Would you rather go something like 25 and 0, for something like 55 points, or 35 and 15 for 100?
Depends. Playing sniper I like the idea of no-death rounds, but sometimes it's better for the team to have some deaths if it meant you put yourself out there more to do stuff for the team goal, where you're more at risk. Yeah the ticket ratios look the same but that's not the whole picture... team points (and what they were from) can make a big difference.

Because the bulk of my team points are from flag caps and defends, with some or a lot of kill assists, I would generally prefer to go 35 for 16 because it tends to go naturally with doing more for the win.

Dersmikner wrote:

I kinda like the thought that I went an entire round, start to finish, and nobody got me. Never even had to be revived. I consider it my best round ever, even though I didn't get 1/3 of the points I've gotten in other rounds.
There's a lot to be said for it, even if just for personal satisfaction.

My personal best kill streak (32) was on a good round on Ghost Town and although it was far from my best game in terms of score it was good to know I could fight on an urban map, without hiding in a corner, and go a full round without getting killed. Had to play more conservatively though, so without a good team (we also had a great commander) doing their bit it wouldn't have been practical if I'd wanted to help ensure a win.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6623|Warlord

Janja wrote:

how bout who cares, it doesnt make a difference.
Yes it does make a difference; he was asking for opinions. If it doesn't to you then that's your answer.

Madiz wrote:

I love people who suggest their good rounds are their normal rounds You average 10 kills a round and 7.5 deaths, that's pretty typical dude.

Jemme101 wrote:

ssonrats wrote:

Madiz wrote:

LOL, excellent! Now we know he's, ah, exaggerating.

Marinejuana wrote:

[I know there are some folks around here that think sniping is neat, but regardless of how much you like it, you can admit it does almost nothing for the team. Especially when compared to medics... Arguably the only useful kit in IO.
You're making an unfounded generalisation there. For a start it depends on the sniper and on how they play. It's not about the number of kills and it's not necessarily about revives. I've seen plenty games with the top scorers were all on one team, including (judging from the team points) two or three medics doing a kickass job to help prevent ticket loss, and they lost.

Yeah, medics have the most direct impact on the average game (infantry-wise) in terms of winning, but that doesn't mean on some game a support guy that smokes the enemy team in huge numbers isn't going to make the difference for that round.

Same goes for the right kind of sniper; you think 18 flag defends in a single round (sometimes 4 or 5 for the same key flag) didn't make a difference?

And I can tell you for sure that I've helped my team win, many many times, because of how I play; that is the entire point of my playing style since I don't want to lose if I can help prevent it. On SF in particular I've also been the only guy to leave the fragfest in the palace to cap Mosque or the TV station, which sometimes was the only thing that helped us not lose.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6655|BC, Canada
whoa lots of long term snipers in here.... as for the question depends on what I feel like doing that round.
sometimes trying to get top score with the m3ka1 can be fun. the svd has also grown on me lately, lots of fun on warlord and ghost town.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6618|Gold coast, Aus.
I prefer better KDR. But uber high points aren't bad
Marinejuana
local
+415|6581|Seattle

Dersmikner wrote:

I went through a phase of the exact same thinking and even enjoyed the sniper kit enough to put in the time for a shiny gold badge. I have screenshots of going like 40 and 0 and stuff. I agree that its fun to do, and kind of addicting as you begin to get the hang of it. It also takes a lot less skill to get a good ratio as a sniper, so people get into sniping because its their first fix of what looks like an impressive score.

You may look at your score and be struck by the fact that nobody else has 0 deaths, but it doesn't mean you've been that helpful or that you've played better than a lot of the people there. Most likely you have taken far fewer risks. So its not your skill that kept you from ever being killed, but the fact that you were able to avoid conflict enough (this translates to being a bitch, im sorry to say). Additionally, you get your good kill to death ratio as a sniper, knowing that most of the people get revived or were of no threat to your flags to begin with. You can essentially know that u had minimal impact on the round.

On the other hand, you could play medic, constantly rushing flags and reflex gunning, get far more kills, a similar ratio (especially if you can inspire a couple other people to put in the same effort as medics), 50+ team points, a gold medal, and win the round for your team.

So with that in mind, consider a different way of assessing your playing. Do you know how awesome it is when a crappy round is turned around by a few people going medic and concentrating on teamwork? Two or three dedicated medics can be almost impossible clear from flags. You should get satisfaction from actually winning the round for your team.

And at the very least get satisfaction from helping your teammates and literally making the round fun for them. BF2 can be so frustrating when you have a team of lonewolfs all wandering the map watching each other get naded and claymored. Youre actually just sitting there being a helpful, friendly person while playing medic, rather than being a selfish little bitch thats hiding somewhere like a sniper.

be a good medic and people will love you. you'll have people asking you to join their team left and right and chances are u will meet interesting people. this guy quoted above, ssonrats, belongs to maybe the only sniper team in existence. on the other hand, any of the 300+ 5v5 teams you will see out there are pretty much medic only. So you pick, sniper=selfish loner, medic=well adjusted human being. coincidentally, the same thing is pretty much true in real life as well.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Marinejuana wrote:

[I know there are some folks around here that think sniping is neat, but regardless of how much you like it, you can admit it does almost nothing for the team. Especially when compared to medics... Arguably the only useful kit in IO.
You're making an unfounded generalisation there.
no, you just dont understand the balance of bf2 yet.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Yeah, medics have the most direct impact on the average game (infantry-wise) in terms of winning, but that doesn't mean on some game a support guy that smokes the enemy team in huge numbers isn't going to make the difference for that round.
the point you are missing is that the support guy can only smoke the enemy if they fail to use medic kits correctly. and for that matter, all the times u managed to get flag defends with a sniper rifle or claymore aren't cases where the sniper kit demonstrates its proficiency, once again they are times where the other team failed to use medic kits effectively. BF2 IO is like rock paper scissors where medics win no matter what. -----TIP---- You need ammo? Knife the guy next to you and revive him within two seconds. a brand new kit will appear with full ammo on the ground any time a person is revived within 2 seconds of dying. its a well loved BF2 glitch. One or two support players per team should more than do the trick but you don't actually need any. Is there a sniper shooting at you way out of range? Spot him and let the medic squad gun him out. He might kill somebody that you will revive, but bottom line, he is definitely getting killed, or is running out of view into useless obscurity. theres almost no scenario that calls for other kits except maybe specop if u know u are spawning in alone on a flag being captured by 4+ enemies. end of debate.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2007-04-16 06:53:07)

zeidmaan
+234|6411|Vienna

since its all about tickets, a good K/D ratio is most important. I hate when I see my team members loosing a crap load of tickets defending a useless flag that has maybe one tank. They get spawn raped but they think they doing good because they are holding the flag

So 17:0 is much better.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6581|Seattle

zeidmaan wrote:

since its all about tickets, a good K/D ratio is most important. I hate when I see my team members loosing a crap load of tickets defending a useless flag that has maybe one tank. They get spawn raped but they think they doing good because they are holding the flag

So 17:0 is much better.
wrong wrong wrong. tickets are determined by kills, revives, and flags. sniping is relevent to one category, whereas medics are perfectly suited for all three. end. of. debate. just absorb it. this means you dont have to spend 1200 hours of your own time figuring this out for yourself. youre welcome, im happy to help.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2007-04-16 06:44:11)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
As long as I get a 3:1 ratio, a 'decent' amount of teamwork points (i.e. not 70 combat points with no flag caps or assists at all), and we win the round... I'm happy. The points kinda come with the deal of those criteria.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
comet241
+164|6761|Normal, IL

right... spoken in the true spirit of bf2 players. whatever it takes to get your score a little bigger... make that e-penis grow. you're the type of person that would never play a mod, never sacrifice himself for the greater good of the team, and play all the dirty, cheap tactics in the name of points.... thanks for making the community the way it is today.

i would say the better round is whichever you helped your team more to get a win.

Last edited by comet241 (2007-04-16 06:50:12)

gene_pool
Banned
+519|6618|Gold coast, Aus.

comet241 wrote:

right... spoken in the true spirit of bf2 players. whatever it takes to get your score a little bigger... make that e-penis grow. you're the type of person that would never play a mod,
I've played mods with him before.....

never sacrifice himself for the greater good of the team,
Says the sniper

and play all the dirty, cheap tactics in the name of points.... thanks for making the community the way it is today.
Assumptions ftw? Play with him before saying shit like that.

i would say the better round is whichever you helped your team more to get a win.
It must be hard to win a round as USMC on karkand hey?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard