Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5992|Belgium

liquidat0r wrote:

Yeah, use Microsoft Security Essentials. You also have Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool built in.

Further to those I use Spybot - Search & Destroy* and Malwarebytes.

* Though I wouldn't bother with their Resident TeaTimer, Secure Shredder, and link protection applications/add-ons. Same goes for any extras that Malwarebytes might come with. Just install the basic programs and don't bother with any "live" protection software.

Then I'd recommend Adblock Plus for Firefox (or an alternative for your browser of choice).

If you're ultra paranoid then you can install NoScript and PeerBlock.

And finally you should keep on top of your temporary files (cookies!) with something like CCleaner.

Extra note: Have UAC at least turned on, even if it's on minimum settings, that should help stop any software from making any changes to your computer without any permission.

That's all you're going to need ... ever. Well, at least for now.
Hmm problem is, spybot detected it as a trojan, "removed" it several times, yet chrome still has a tab occasionally opening titled "sports gear, weather, dating and more random stuff .
I have ccleaner installed and emptied the cookie jar multiple times, yet still happens, though less often (pop ups).

Virusscan is running, called avira antivirus, if that doesn't work, Ill go ahead for MSE and malwarebytes.

Thanks for the suggestions
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6623|UK
Oh, you actually have a virus? Well dealing that is a bit different to my post above, I was mainly talking about prevention of nasty stuff in general.

But yeah, install MSE if the AV software you're using at the moment doesn't fix the problem.

Does it happen in other browsers than Chrome? Any other symptoms?
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5992|Belgium

liquidat0r wrote:

Oh, you actually have a virus? Well dealing that is a bit different to my post above, I was mainly talking about prevention of nasty stuff in general.

But yeah, install MSE if the AV software you're using at the moment doesn't fix the problem.

Only chrome, has a sporadic " open tab and focus view on it" .
Spybot search and destroy detected it in WIN32 file and that's about all, when I try to shutdown it mostly says it's trying to shut down a .exe with a randomly generated letter string before the .exe, giving the "wait or kill process" dialog.

I don't notice any performance degradations or other browsers being erratic....
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5957|Places 'n such

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

Only chrome, has a sporadic " open tab and focus view on it" .
Spybot search and destroy detected it in WIN32 file and that's about all, when I try to shutdown it mostly says it's trying to shut down a .exe with a randomly generated letter string before the .exe, giving the "wait or kill process" dialog.

I don't notice any performance degradations or other browsers being erratic....
Malwarebytes in safe mode? Sorts pretty much anything
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6538|Sammamish, WA
Just to throw in my $.02 I've never seen anything positive from McAfee. Horrible UI, low level of user controllability, easily corrupted by malware, and very high system resource usage. It's crapware through and through, and the amazing thing is that Intel bought them.
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5992|Belgium
Ok a small update, I appear to have the GNJA.exe virus and a CTFMON.exe in my documents and settings and some folder called "dynamite" copied itself on every available media

Malwarebytes was able to get the two above exe's off the C:\ drive (OS) but the D:\ and external drive are still infected, now how do I get the virus off the external without risking a new infection ?

Edit: typos

Last edited by Hope_is_lost117 (2010-08-29 07:37:22)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5960|London, England

:\
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5992|Belgium
Why the :\ ?
I tried the safe mode thing for the C drive and it worked, now running it for D.
Just a bit clueless for the external drive.

And now slightly confused

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard