superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6789

Nappy-Headed Ho's
This utterance got Imus fired.  Let's break down what he said.

Nappy is an adjective for Natural Hair.  There's nothing racist about using the word nappy.

Is this racist?
https://www.mitchie.com/2006books/nappyisms.jpg

What is laughable is that when rapper get asked by they constantly demean women by calling them ho's, they respond that ho's is actually short for honey (honeys).  Dr. Dre in the cut "Housewife" on his 2001 CD "Dr Dre 2001," says, "Naw 'ho' is short for honey."  I've heard it on other raps songs also.

This is not a slur...sorry.

Jigaboos
One of the guys in his crew mentioned the word Jigaboo which is supposed to be a slur.  However, he says "A Spike Lee Thing...the Jigaboos vs the Wannabes...wasn't that a Spike Lee flick." which was making a reference to the Spike Lee move School Daze:

wiki wrote:

Musical performances are throughout, including the production "Straight and Nappy", "Be Alone Tonight" performed by Campbell (as Jane Toussaint and her Royal Court), and a dis-fest between the [u]Wannabes and Jigaboos[u] on campus.
Where exactly is the racism?  Its not like he's a closet racist who slipped up and said N****r.  What he did was use a cultural expression which has no definitive racist implications.

The guy was trying to be funny and everyone behind this public lynching, all the way from Sharpton and Jackson to the Media outlets to the corporate hacks, are a bunch of hipocrits.  Imus is a shock jock who makes a living of making jokes four hours a day, 5 days a week.  Kinda hard to make a living trying to be a shock jock without sometimes going a little bit over-board.  The guy makes fun of absolutely everyone...I've listened to him plenty of times and he's not a racist.

Shame on America for this sham.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6651

i think people overreacted, but odds are; nothing is going to change at this point. im sure he'll be able to land another job.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

It was a Spike Lee flick, and that is what he was talking about.  What is wrong with these people letting some old white idiot have power over them?
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6491|P-way, NJ
This got out of had cause of the black leader guy, I can't remember his name.

Sharpmen (don't feel like searching on how to spell his name)
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command

Sgt.Kyle wrote:

Sharpton.

A buffoon and asshole.
Warlord
Divine Ruler
+37|6389|Afghanistan

ATG wrote:

Sgt.Kyle wrote:

Sharpton.

A buffoon and asshole.
...and a hypocrite to boot...

He has no credibility and has made derogatory racial remarks himself.  I guess every rapper out there who says 'ho', 'nappy', etc. should also be banned and made an example of.  I'm pretty sure there are quite a few African-Americans and probably even some nappy headed ho's that really wish he would just shut his flapper and give it up.

~ W
topal63
. . .
+533|6726
Total over-reaction, anyways...

What do you call Santa if he is Black?  .... A nappy headed hoo-hoo-hoo!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Wait, so unless I have an afro, my hair isn't considered natural? How odd.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

I would say it was an overreaction as well.

If someone wants to pay this douche bag to talk like an idiot for a few hours a day, so be it.  And if people want to listen to him, fine.  Money talks.  If the sponsors don't like it, they will cut their funding of the show, and he will be fired.

One key thing here that events like these project is that by and by, Americans seem to be too fucking sensitive.  I don't listen to the guy (Don Imus) because I think he is an ignorant man.  I won't lose sleep over him calling me a wop, injun, redskin, etc.  People shouldn't either.

As far as verbiage used, I think it is important to note context.  If I were to say, man that guy's hair is nappy, no, it is not inherently racist, and not really even mean.  If I saw a 'black' woman and said, "man, you are a nappy headed ho', it might not be racist, but I would expect a backhand to the face.  Don Imus got a proverbially backhand to the face - by a women's college basketball team.

Anyone ever listen to the Phil Hendrie show?  Now that is PURE comedy.
grimreapere
+1|6241
ask you this  have the REV pay his taxes to the irs yet I BET NOT
slavery ended along time ago GET THE BEEP over it.........whites dont owe anything to the blacks and the blacks dont owe anything to the whites..............blacks need to stop using slavery for an excuse for not letting them get what they want.............at school black clubs hispanic clubs oriental clubs but when its a white all club its racist.............................................................if i say blacks smell like pee is that racist???
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6680|Colorado
I think were all tired of hearing about this. Free speech for the loss.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6651
but are Americans sensitive, or is it that the media is just so fucked up and society in general is fucked up, even human nature being so fucked up, we actually think and feel the way they want us too.

i pity the fool
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6697|Fort Lewis WA
As with anything, The way the words are said make them rascist.
Thats like someone calling me a Jew in a playfull manner, and someone calling me a Jew in a demeaning way.

But I do not think he meant it in a bad sort of way, just sad what he said in humor, the guy is guilty of bad taste thats it.  But he shoulda retired looong be fore then

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard