ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
If so, I have a question for you.

I think I found a major security breach at my local bank and want to ask you a couple of questions via PM.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6539|Oxford
I worked at a UK one for a while.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6539|Mountains of NC

thats not good                 hope it wasn't your personal account that has to do with a security breech
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6598|UK

ATG wrote:

I think I found a major security breach at my local bank and want to ask you a couple of questions via PM.
Don't tell him. He wants to exploit it.

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

liquidat0r wrote:

ATG wrote:

what like one of those African spam emails - ATG has 10 million tied up in the bank and needs 10grand to get it out and he will give 5million for my troubles
ATG
Banned
No, sinse no one is pming, here's the deal.

While at the bank waiting for a cashiers check I was able to see over the counter at the cash out slips and bank payable slips.
I have routing numbers and account numbers for both and my question was:

Isn't that all a crook would need to wire money out of their account, and wasn't I breaking the law by simply writing the info down.

I wanted to email the bank and let them know, as this morning the slips were still visible, but my concern is that the FBI will come asking questions.

I am simply trying to do the right thing.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6460|Gogledd Cymru

just steal yourself some money
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Yeah you would be doing the right thing by letting the manager of the bank know how his/her bank tellers are being with the info
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
If you can take advantage of a situation were you can get free money then you should.

No regrets.

That being said you probably can't steal any money and i misread your post.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6806|Kubra, Damn it!

I don't work IN a bank, but I work FOR a bank. We get constant privacy and security training and leaving information like that out in the open would be grounds for immediate termination.

Jord, banks track so much information on that stuff you'd be caught within days, if not hours.
Ninja_Kid2002
+119|6238|Floodsville, TN, (UK really)

SEREMAKER wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

ATG wrote:

what like one of those African spam emails - ATG has 10 million tied up in the bank and needs 10grand to get it out and he will give 5million for my troubles
A the old "Spanish Prisoner" grift. They call it 419 fraud these days because that's the penal code in Nigeria (where they are basically all comitted from).
I call it a flim-flam!

*tips his top-hat and winks with his monocle-less eye*
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6498|Belgium

don't steal money, and if you do do it clever (not immediately on your own account )

So just tell them the slips are visible, don't tell them you wrote them down. Or destroy the evidence and forget.
topal63
. . .
+533|6689

chittydog wrote:

I don't work IN a bank, but I work FOR a bank. We get constant privacy and security training and leaving information like that out in the open would be grounds for immediate termination.

Jord, banks track so much information on that stuff you'd be caught within days, if not hours.
No doubt - I say go ahead dummies - try it - get caught quickly - receive no free-pass - go to jail.

Also banks make mistakes, my checks were sent to the wrong address once, dummies decided to clean my account - dummies went straight to jail.

And what what he said,

Varegg wrote:

There is no "clever" way to steal money any longer, taking advantage of a security breach will get you caught witout a doubt, almost nothing you do on a daily basis cannot be backtracked in one form or another.

How do you pay for stuff, where do you walk, drive through a tollbooth ? ... its hard not to leave any electronic tracks for just 1 single day !

Last edited by topal63 (2007-04-13 11:14:51)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker

ATG wrote:

While at the bank waiting for a cashiers check I was able to see over the counter at the cash out slips and bank payable slips.

Isn't that all a crook would need to wire money out of their account, and wasn't I breaking the law by simply writing the info down.

I wanted to email the bank and let them know, as this morning the slips were still visible, but my concern is that the FBI will come asking questions.

I'm currently in the personal banking department of the bank I work for and I send wires on a weekly basis. So you have routing and account numbers for the bank customers?  Someone trying to steal money would need that information and they could use other methods to obtain the funds, but if the bank is doing their job, they will require a signed form in order to wire money.  The only way the bank will allow a wire to be sent without a signature is with a repeated wire transfer agreement already signed and a code number assigned that can be given by phone. 

Did you break the law by writing it down?  No.  Depends on what you try to do with it.  If you feel like it, call the bank and ask for the manager.  Let him/her know what you were able to view from the teller line and they'll be horrified and correct it.

Edit: If you're worried the bank will look at you funny, don't call from your home phone.  I deal with people at least every month whose account info has been obtained and drafted out by electronic remote check, which is different than the wire process.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2007-04-12 11:50:37)

ATG
Banned

Stingray24 wrote:

ATG wrote:

I'm currently in the personal banking department of the bank I work for and I send wires on a weekly basis. So you have routing and account numbers for the bank customers?  Someone trying to steal money would need that information and they could use other methods to obtain the funds, but if the bank is doing their job, they will require a signed form in order to wire money.  The only way the bank will allow a wire to be sent without a signature is with a repeated wire transfer agreement already signed and a code number assigned that can be given by phone. 

Did you break the law by writing it down?  No.  Depends on what you try to do with it.  If you feel like it, call the bank and ask for the manager.  Let him/her know what you were able to view from the teller line and they'll be horrified and correct it.

Edit: If you're worried the bank will look at you funny, don't call from your home phone.  I deal with people at least every month whose account info has been obtained and drafted out by electronic remote check, which is different than the wire process.
The account and routing numbers are for the banks " Cash Out Credit "  and " Bank Payment Credit "

These look like deposit slips, except the had the account and routing numbers printed on them.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6595|Cherry Pie
Don't say a thing until your money is missing.  Its not your problem buddy!
san4
The Mas
+311|6659|NYC, a place to live
You would be putting yourself at risk by informing the bank. There are lots of stories about security researchers informing companies of security problems and the company turning around and suing the researcher or even pressing criminal charges. I don't know if the bank would or even could go after you, but I wouldn't trust them to just say thank you and change their procedures. My 2 cents.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

take some money THEN tell em
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6687|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

san4 wrote:

You would be putting yourself at risk by informing the bank. There are lots of stories about security researchers informing companies of security problems and the company turning around and suing the researcher or even pressing criminal charges. I don't know if the bank would or even could go after you, but I wouldn't trust them to just say thank you and change their procedures. My 2 cents.
I'm just curious, but what could they charge you with/sue you for if you simply noticed some sloppy procedure and informed them in the hopes that they would correct it?
ATG
Banned

san4 wrote:

Thats what I was thinking.
Darky
Hi..
+71|6533|Here.

san4 wrote:

You're thinking more along the lines of 'IT Security consultants' who were unhired in the first place. What they did/do is breaking the law, as the company is unaware of the 'forced entry' gained by the 'consultant'.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6781|Nårvei

There is no "clever" way to steal money any longer, taking advantage of a security breach will get you caught witout a doubt, almost nothing you do on a daily basis cannot be backtracked in one form or another.

How do you pay for stuff, where do you walk, drive through a tollbooth ? ... its hard not to leave any electronic tracks for just 1 single day !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard