blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u123/rising187/NewBitmapImage.jpg

From his office in Nevada, entrepreneur Dennis Hope has spawned a multi-million-dollar property business selling plots of lunar real estate at $20 (£10) an acre.

Mr Hope exploited a loophole in the 1967 UN Outer Space Treaty and he has been claiming ownership of the Earth's Moon - and seven planets and their moons - for more than 20 years.

These are "truly unowned lands", he says. "We're doing exactly what our forefathers did when they came to the New World from the European continent."

Hope says he has so far sold more than 400 million acres (1.6 million sq km), leaving a further eight billion acres still up for grabs.

Buyers include Hollywood stars, large corporations - including the Hilton and Marriot hotel chains - and even former US presidents Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter. George W Bush is also said to be a stake holder.

Mr Hope claims to be selling 1,500 lunar properties a day. He allocates land by simply closing his eyes and pointing to a map of the Moon.

"It's not very scientific but it's kinda fun," he says. It is fun that has already made him $9million (£4.5million).

Source

Are you looking to buy a piece of moon?

Last edited by blademaster (2007-04-11 11:16:12)

Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6763|United States of America
Let's start a riot!
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.
I'd buy some for my great great great etc grand kids.

Then when they go there they'll have lots of land to build on.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Give it to Israel and Palestine.  50/50
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6651

usmarine2005 wrote:

pales will claim its been theirs the entire time.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

pales will claim its been theirs the entire time.
lawl
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
Im gunna make a rocket, and take over the moon, wtf could they do? Nothing Ill hire my own mercs and become the next Doctor Evil.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
Do you think its pointless to buy some moon property, considering that you cant visit the moon now? maybe down the road but not now.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

Anyone want to buy land on the Moon?

$19 (£9.6) /acre
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6793|Anaheim, CA

OMG he found a freaking loophole and is now a multi-billionaire?  I'm pissed.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

$19 (£9.6) /acre
Pffttt....

$18 right here.
-Leeds-Lad-
+15|6241|Leeds, WestYorkshire
fair play, fiar play...
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

$19 (£9.6) /acre
I'll take it, I current'y have 200+ dollars I'm going to spend on a guitar, but hey! I want the moon now!
jord

blademaster wrote:

Do you think its pointless to buy some moon property, considering that you cant visit the moon now? maybe down the road but not now.
In our lifetime?Depends how old you'll live,but no moon visits for the next 30 years i think.

Visits were you can walk on it i mean.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6396|New York
I smell scam. We won't be living on the moon in a practical fashion for quite awhile i bet. I'd say this might make sense 200-300 years down the road.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Desolater
+13|6234|Maryland, USA
def. less then 200-300 yrs.  We have a huge earth population and only thing holding us back is money.  If all the countries put money into it we have the technology.  If we can build a space station in space, we can build on a moon with solid ground and SOME gravity to hold stuff in place.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
This is what they posted on their site stating its not a scam

1. How do I know this is not a Scam?

Firstly, we think that skepticism is a good and healthy thing, and we would like to reassure you that this is a reputable site. However, due to the uniqueness of the product on sale here, we will outline our written statement on the history of the product, and detail the origin of selling lunar property.

To begin,  let's explain what the Lunar Embassy is actually doing. Mr. D. Hope has been in the business of selling Lunar Property for over 23 years. In all this time, and more than 2 million customers later (and increasing rapidly), we have never had a single unsatisfied customer, and we are very proud of this track record. Two former US Presidents and several very prominent stars own their Lunar property already. The worldwide press attention the Lunar Embassy is getting is enormous.

If you're still questioning the practice of selling lunar property, we would like to ask you to ask one of the Internet's best known and vigilant consumer watchdog organization called Netcheck. Lunar Embassy is a member of the Netcheck Internet Commerce Bureau. At the site, you can consult our company register, and see if anyone has filed a complaint against Lunar Land or the Lunar Embassy. Furthermore, you cannot become a member of Netcheck unless you conduct a valid business. If you're still skeptical after that, well, we still don't blame you. Selling property on the Moon on the internet must surely be one of the strangest things you've ever come across while web surfing.

heggs wrote:

I smell scam. We won't be living on the moon in a practical fashion for quite awhile i bet. I'd say this might make sense 200-300 years down the road.
but yeah if its a scam the guy made 9 million by selling moon property

Last edited by blademaster (2007-04-11 11:30:47)

mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6606|S.C.
Nobody owns the moon, there are several companies selling plots that they don't own.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6747|Comber, Northern Ireland
i own an acre of the moon, got my certificate to prove it, and i own an acre in the amazon which by law cannot be touched
jord

david363 wrote:

i own an acre of the moon, got my certificate to prove it, and i own an acre in the amazon which by law cannot be touched
What you gonna do with the Amazon one?
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6460|Cambridge, UK

If hes claiming it under the "1967 UN Outer Space Treaty" then shouldnt he read the bit

Article II
Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.
seams quite clear cut.

Source: http://www.state.gov/t/ac/trt/5181.htm

Last edited by KylieTastic (2007-04-11 11:35:44)

Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

jord wrote:

david363 wrote:

HUNT JAGUAR!
herrr_smity
+156|6635|space command ur anus
i claim Mars in the name of the, interstellar alliance for gay rights and supporter of the extermination of the penguins, IAGSEP

Last edited by herrr_smity (2007-04-11 11:36:59)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
I presume you watched "Horizon" last night then?
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6747|Comber, Northern Ireland

jord wrote:

david363 wrote:

sell it on ebay...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard