Rubix-Cubes
+123|6657|UK
Hi is this just a problem in the uk, or is this happening elsewer in the world, the problem being un-fair bank charges, over the past 6 years i have been charged by my bank £2000 for letters being sent to me stating that i have missed a payment by one day, that's about £30 per letter, just to inform me that they are going to charge me for missing the payment..

Now you may be saying "why don't you manage your account better"..... well i do to the best of my ability, but i don't get paid every month on the same day, i get paid every 4 weeks, so its a different date every month, and companies don't allow you to set up direct debits for a different date each month, and that's where i am coming un-stuck

Well any way i am in the middle of claiming all my bank charges back from the bank, under a ruling founded in 1999, stating that the charges a bank claims must reflect a realistic cost of the admin fee a letter would cost to send to me.  And as you must admit £30 a letter is a little costly.

So anyway as i said i am half way thru debates with my bank, and i am at the stage of sending a second letter saying that i will be taking them to the Small claims court if the full amount is not paid back to me, and any black marks on my financial rating removed.

Is there anyone else going thru this process at the moment, and if so what have been your results so far

many thanks cubes
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

sorry to hear that. Here banks generally have low charges and are friendly. Then again Switzerland is the home of banks.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6528|Milkystania, yurop
When i use my maestro outside of the country i lose money for 4 withdrawls in the UK i lost 10 pounds fucking cheating bank bastards they even encourage you to use your fucking card abroad and then charge me for using my card fuck ´em all greddy uncle scrooge bastards
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Go for it. I've been inconvenienced by a few bank charges in my time, not enough to bother claiming back, but it's still annoying.

Good luck, not that you'll need it - the banks have paid out in every case so far.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

hmmmmmmmmm sucks on the charges

I don't know how you handle your fiances but a suggestion could be to get a major credit card {preferred a AMEX} and pay all bills with the card and then just pay the card off every month, if you apply for the card say in the 1st  week then your due date on the card could be at the end of the first week or beginning of the second

I due that and its works out very well _ I even have rewards program that I end up getting money back every month for using the card, and it looks good on the credit report 

it also depends on what APR they can provide if using the card is a good idea

Last edited by SEREMAKER (2007-04-05 05:39:47)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6657|UK
WHOOOOO, finally got all my charges back from the bank, i had to hire a comapny to do it, it was one of those NO WIN NO FEE things, anyways i won and got £2000 back from the greedy twats, i recomend anybody give it a try, if anyone lives in the UK and whats the number ill post it on here....
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

WHOOOOO, finally got all my charges back from the bank, i had to hire a comapny to do it, it was one of those NO WIN NO FEE things, anyways i won and got £2000 back from the greedy twats, i recomend anybody give it a try, if anyone lives in the UK and whats the number ill post it on here....
Congrats man, fuck the banks, glad you beat them.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6657|UK

Braddock wrote:

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

Congrats man, fuck the banks, glad you beat them.
YEAH thanks mate just in time for summer, if we actually get one in the uk, hahaha fuck it even if we dont i have enough for a holiday now lol
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France
You need to have more than one bill-cycle in the bank.  That's why you are getting dinged.  If you can't do that, then cut back or get a new job.
V1king
+10|6156|Land of crocs and cane toads

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

Now you may be saying "why don't you manage your account better"..... well i do to the best of my ability, but i don't get paid every month on the same day, i get paid every 4 weeks, so its a different date every month, and companies don't allow you to set up direct debits for a different date each month, and that's where i am coming un-stuck
I'm pretty sure banks in Australia work in a similar fashion to the UK.  If that's the case, then banks will always favour those with a higher balance.  You know how the saying goes, the wealthier you are, the less you have to pay for anything.  Banks are a business like any other and they need to make money which is fair enough but like you said, they can really go overboard on the charges and get away with it most of the time.

A higher balance means more money for the bank to invest meaning higher returns for them.  Of course you won't see that intrest accumilate in your pocket unless you invest it yourself but you can pretty much be assured that your general banking will be free but you have to tell them that otherwise it won't happen.  Another thing is to communicate with your bank and get to know your bank manager on a semi personal level.  You'd be suprised what you can get away with..  Communication is everything.  Put yourself in their shoes from a business prospective.

Get your working capital up as that is holding you back.  Anyone can do it, it just takes patience and time.  I run my business with monies that come in bits and pieces like yourself and might not get paid for anything up to 13 weeks but always have an acceptable working capital to keep me out of trouble and without worryiing how I will pay my next bill when it arrives.

Cash in bank=Free service for general banking.  A low or almost zero balance is the norm for most people who live pay to pay these days.  Set yourself up with some cashflow or I will put it simply, SAVE.  You don't have to be an entrepenuer to have stacks of cash, just better management.  A little here and there becomes a whole lot later.  Start now! 
{RR}Broccoli
+0|6146
The US is similar (though not that high, 30 pound for a letter? OMFG!)

Do you guys have a thing called a "Credit Union"?  Perhaps switching from a bank to one of those might suit you better. (Credit Unions are non-profit member owned organizations with localized charters, so "only workers and family of workers of some big company" or "only in this county", etc.)

Also note, here in the US, there are specialized consultants that go around and TEACH BANKS HOW TO FIND WAYS TO CHARGE MORE SMALL FEES.  Yes, they take classes on it.  See, they make money by re-using your money.  If they can find a way to get an extra 0.5% by a fee or two they'll do it, because finding an extra 0.5% profit on the investments they use your money on is hard.
V1king
+10|6156|Land of crocs and cane toads

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

I'm pretty sure banks in Australia work in a similar fashion to the UK.  If that's the case, then banks will always favour those with a higher balance.  You know how the saying goes, the wealthier you are, the less you have to pay for anything.  Banks are a business like any other and they need to make money which is fair enough but like you said, they can really go overboard on the charges and get away with it most of the time.

A higher balance means more money for the bank to invest meaning higher returns for them.  Of course you won't see that intrest accumilate in your pocket unless you invest it yourself but you can pretty much be assured that your general banking will be free but you have to tell them that otherwise it won't happen.  Another thing is to communicate with your bank and get to know your bank manager on a semi personal level.  You'd be suprised what you can get away with..  Communication is everything.  Put yourself in their shoes from a business prospective.

Get your working capital up as that is holding you back.  Anyone can do it, it just takes patience and time.  I run my business with monies that come in bits and pieces like yourself and might not get paid for anything up to 13 weeks but always have an acceptable working capital to keep me out of trouble and without worryiing how I will pay my next bill when it arrives.

Cash in bank=Free service for general banking.  A low or almost zero balance is the norm for most people who live pay to pay these days.  Set yourself up with some cashflow or I will put it simply, SAVE.  You don't have to be an entrepenuer to have stacks of cash, just better management.  A little here and there becomes a whole lot later.  Start now! 
Rogue_granny
+22|6568
Yeah dude it does work, in your letter did you add all the charges they have made you pay over the 6 years? Then add interest for all the years they have had those charges of you? i applied and got half my money back so stay with it as they are shit scared to bring anyone to court, reason being if they lost the case then they would be crippled as they would be in the wrong and have to pay everyone back.

This is the website i used to help hope it helps you. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bankcharges

Last edited by Rogue_granny (2007-07-12 09:21:33)

Rubix-Cubes
+123|6657|UK

Rogue_granny wrote:

Yeah dude it does work, in your letter did you add all the charges they have made you pay over the 6 years? Then add interest for all the years they have had those charges of you? i applied and got half my money back so stay with it as they are shit scared to bring anyone to court, reason being if they lost the case then they would be crippled as they would be in the wrong and have to pay everyone back.

This is the website i used to help hope it helps you. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bankcharges
got all my cash back i did origanlly use that same web site some really good advice there, but they refused me point blank so i got a company involved and they got it all back for me with intrest, it was a no win no fee place, got 2 grand back
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

Hi is this just a problem in the uk, or is this happening elsewer in the world, the problem being un-fair bank charges, over the past 6 years i have been charged by my bank £2000 for letters being sent to me stating that i have missed a payment by one day, that's about £30 per letter, just to inform me that they are going to charge me for missing the payment..

Well any way i am in the middle of claiming all my bank charges back from the bank, under a ruling founded in 1999, stating that the charges a bank claims must reflect a realistic cost of the admin fee a letter would cost to send to me.  And as you must admit £30 a letter is a little costly.

So anyway as i said i am half way thru debates with my bank, and i am at the stage of sending a second letter saying that i will be taking them to the Small claims court if the full amount is not paid back to me, and any black marks on my financial rating removed.

Is there anyone else going thru this process at the moment, and if so what have been your results so far

many thanks cubes
£30 a letter?  Fuck!

I have disputes with my bank constantly for $2.00 ATM charges.  I couldn't even imagine how I would feel with $50 bank charges.  The best advice I can offer is to vigilantly watch your bank account and if you aren't going to be able to make a payment, let the bank know.  Usually they will give you some leeway as long as you let them know they are going to get paid.  That's my experience (however limited) I can offer.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard