Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6638|Washington, DC

Do you think it might still work? It was in one of my cargo pant pockets. I had a cell phone survive a wash cycle once. Would it be unwise to plug the drive into my computer?
l41e
+677|6655

...is it dry now?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
Erm... ROFL... sorry... that's tickled me... hooo... anyway... leave it to dry out completely (maybe even keep it somewhere warm and dry for a day or two first) - then it will probably be safe (NOTE: I said probably - don't sue me if it blows your PC up (highly unlikely!))
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6396|USA, MICHIGAN
if it's dry, give it a shot.  (i almost said try, but that would've rhymed with dry and i didn't want to sound gay)
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

hate&discontent wrote:

if it's dry, give it a shot.  (i almost said try, but that would've rhymed with dry and i didn't want to sound gay)
/fail
Hurricane
Banned

k30dxedle wrote:

...is it dry now?
I think so.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6396|USA, MICHIGAN
i didn't want to sound like a schmuck
The Magic Mullet
+240|6432
So I started a thread with 'So...', as if we were already mid conversation.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6605|Cheshire. UK

Hurricane wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

...is it dry now?
I think so.
dont think KNOW!!...if you plug it in and its still wet ...you could blow everything up...leave it in a warm place for a couple of days just to be sure..
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6362
Heres what I would try. Heat oven to 250 deg F. when oven is hot, Turn it of so it will not get any hotter than 250 deg.F. place flash on loosely folded tin foil in oven. Leave door cracked. Should dry it. Works on calculators and watches. good luck
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

hate&discontent wrote:

i didn't want to sound like a schmuck
/fail again! (tee hee... I could do this all day... ( just got an image of that scene in the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob is out to kill Bart - the rake scene...))
DSRTurtle
+56|6693
I had one survive the washer.  It sill works just fine.  Let it dry for a day or two before you try it.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6606|S.C.
Leave it in a dry place for a couple of days, just don't put it in the microwave unless you like DIY welding.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Heres what I would try. Heat oven to 250 deg F. when oven is hot, Turn it of so it will not get any hotter than 250 deg.F. place flash on loosely folded tin foil in oven. Leave door cracked. Should dry it. Works on calculators and watches. good luck
I would NOT recommend that! You, he and we do not know the melting temperatures of all of the materials your flash drive is made from.
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6716

DSRTurtle wrote:

I had one survive the washer.  It sill works just fine.  Let it dry for a day or two before you try it.
Same here... did not lose any data either(Red vs. Blue episodes).
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6396|USA, MICHIGAN
just stick it in the microwave, it'll be fine!!!!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

hate&discontent wrote:

just stick it in the microwave, it'll be fine!!!!
also put in a couple of CDs to reflect a bit more heat on to it?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6352|Twyford, UK
Crack it open and take a hairdryer to the innards. It's a Flash drive, solid-state memory, no moving parts.

Or, alternatively, just get another one. They're dirt cheap now. £10 per gigabyte, or thereabouts.
Belx
+4|6685|New York, New York
I had a cell phone go through the wash, I wasn't so lucky as you were.

Good luck on getting this thing to work.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6688|Dayton, Ohio
Let it dry and yes it will work, as long as it did not take a heavy static shock like going though the dryer without a fabric softener.  I have had countless tumb drives survive as most of my users are very forgetful.  It may shorten the life a little but should not be a big deal. 

Just a side note, I had a water leak over my cable modem, I shut it down for a day and let it dry, turned it back on and have been running like a champ for about 1.5 years now.
Hurricane
Banned

KnowMeByTrailOfDead wrote:

Let it dry and yes it will work, as long as it did not take a heavy static shock like going though the dryer without a fabric softener.
Uhh...
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6396|New York
Preheat the oven to 350F, cook on one side until golden brown for about 20 minutes, flip over and allow the bottom to get a nice golden brown color as well. Now, season with salt and pepper, add some butter and sour cream and enjoy.

But seriously, let it dry out longer than you think, and then let it dry out longer, you don't want to fry anything.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6439|Washington State, USA

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Or, alternatively, just get another one. They're dirt cheap now. £10 per gigabyte, or thereabouts.
dont you think he had stuff stored on the flash drive?
Rosebudteg
+6|6402|Washington State
It's fine.  I did the same thing with mine.  Let it dry for a day or so then it'll work fine.
[RaWr]-Impsux
Have Guns, Will Travel.
+28|6564
I have done the same thing and mine still works no problem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard