_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD
I was thinking about doing this to my family's 05 Grand Caravan but I was unsure about it read on and you'll find why.

A piece from NetStang.com:

"When modifying the stock set up, you should always replace the stock paper air filter element with a free flowing reusable filter such as the industry standard "K&N Filtercharger".  In addition, some original non-modified 5.0's and 4.6's may still have the factory installed air intake silencers.  These silencers do nothing for performance but were originally designed with well intentions.

The silencer is a dual purpose device.  It's basic design bottle-necks the air intake charge.  In doing so, it lowers the intake noise for the average consumer and helps keep contaminates such as water, dirt, and snow from prematurely clogging the air filter.  Unfortunately this approach just hurts performance in the process.

Since most Mustang enthusiasts generally like the sound of a "throaty" intake and try to avoid extreme whether conditions at all costs, the silencer should be removed and placed on a shelf in the "non-performance" section of your garage.  Removing it should not hurt emissions or adversely effect the car in any way.  This combined with a free flow filter, is good for about 5 HP or so.  Not bad for a $40 investment and a few minutes of time!"

The part that I made bold is why I made this thread.  Does the silencer do that particular job well enough for someone to consider keeping it on?

Another piece from here that you all might be interested in, this link includes instructions on how to remove the silencer yourself: http://www.njtacc.com/tech/air_silencer.html

"Ford, and GM, produced all of their cars with an air silencer.  The manufacturers decided that the average customer wanted a quieter engine, with performance as an expense.  By removing the silencer you will gain a slightly deeper exhaust note. Also, at higher engine RPM, you will hear the vacuum created by the intake system.  You will gain 1-2 hp.  No, not a lot, but the modification is free."

All of this information was found here: http://www.allpar.com/model/m/air-intake.html
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6387|The Gem Saloon
you want to remove it from the caravan?
why?
if you do your only going shorten the lives of your air filters
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

Parker wrote:

why?
The stock one is shitty and paper-made anyway, maybe i'll get the K&N Filter for it.  Would it be so bad to clean the filter every now and then anyway?  Does the sliencer actually keep that much more shit out of the filter in the first place?

Why don't they make Cold Air Intakes for  Caravans, that would be kickass and people would actually buy it.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2007-04-01 13:10:36)

FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6445

Parker wrote:

why?
You won't notice that you have to change your air filters overly frequently by removing the silencer.  If you remove it, and do a drop in K&N, you'll probably notice a nice satisfying growl when you floor it.  Not too loud though....not like a full exhaust or anything.  Just a hint of mean when you stomp on it.

The silencer just makes the engine work harder for air, robbing performance and reducing gas mileage.  It is more worth it in my opinion to remove it.

KiL
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

FeedUsYourFetus wrote:

Parker wrote:

why?
You won't notice that you have to change your air filters overly frequently by removing the silencer.  If you remove it, and do a drop in K&N, you'll probably notice a nice satisfying growl when you floor it.  Not too loud though....not like a full exhaust or anything.  Just a hint of mean when you stomp on it.

The silencer just makes the engine work harder for air, robbing performance and reducing gas mileage.  It is more worth it in my opinion to remove it.

KiL
If only I had a job and 40$, lol

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/perfo … andid=3596

The extra would make the van cooler if anything, lol.  Right now when you smash in the gas it sounds like an electric motor.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2007-04-01 13:16:37)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

https://www.accessams.com/db_Mar_05_V12_1918721.jpg

This? Whyyyyyy?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

ghettoperson wrote:

http://www.accessams.com/db_Mar_05_V12_1918721.jpg

This? Whyyyyyy?
That one has an upgrade on the side of it, the fenders don't go nearly that low on mine.  I want to upgrade it so it can be somewhat cooler even if it is a Caravan.  (Although I saw a  video somewhere of some heavily upgraded 80's Caravan that smoked a Viper)

Last edited by _j5689_ (2007-04-01 13:20:42)

FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6445

ghettoperson wrote:

This? Whyyyyyy?
So that he can go really fast.  That way, when he flies by, people will just see a blur, and not realize he's driving a minivan. 

KiL

Last edited by FeedUsYourFetus (2007-04-01 13:20:28)

Parker
isteal
ya i just have to notice that you are going to do this to a minivan.
there is a risk, however slight, that items can foul the air filter bypassing that filter. the payoff isnt worth the risk imo.
if you have an air compressor, get an air nozzle and just blow the air filter clean every once in awhile.........
but again, its just not worth it on a minivan.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

FeedUsYourFetus wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

This? Whyyyyyy?
So that he can go really fast.  That way, when he flies by, people will just see a blur, and not realize he's driving a minivan. 

KiL
ROFLMAO

That would be a good alibi, LOL
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

Parker wrote:

ya i just have to notice that you are going to do this to a minivan.
there is a risk, however slight, that items can foul the air filter bypassing that filter. the payoff isnt worth the risk imo.
if you have an air compressor, get an air nozzle and just blow the air filter clean every once in awhile.........
but again, its just not worth it on a minivan.
We have an air compressor I think so it would be worth it.
Parker
isteal
well right on, in that case save up a little more money and build yourself a little cold air induction kit......thing will sound badass.
after that get a nice system with like 4 15's and a 20 inch lcd with all the games and bullshit.
a grow room tucked off to the side with an ac/dc converter for the ballasts and lights.
a minibar with expensive drinks and assorted nuts........
youll be pulling all sorts of hos in no time.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

Parker wrote:

well right on, in that case save up a little more money and build yourself a little cold air induction kit......thing will sound badass.
after that get a nice system with like 4 15's and a 20 inch lcd with all the games and bullshit.
a grow room tucked off to the side with an ac/dc converter for the ballasts and lights.
a minibar with expensive drinks and assorted nuts........
youll be pulling all sorts of hos in no time.
A DVD player would do just fine and we were going to get one for it but the rear temperature control is in the way so we couldn't.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6338|Twyford, UK
Yeah, those things are like bricks anyway. Replacing the silencer with a more efficient model won't do much, performance-wise.
If you want to go for sheer performance, get the blowtorch out and amputate the entire pipe. Otherwise, you're better off just reducing weight. Remove the seats you're not sitting on, all the covers for internal storage spaces, clear the stuff out the boot, turn the heater on all the way, and drill holes in anything non-structural.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Yeah, those things are like bricks anyway. Replacing the silencer with a more efficient model won't do much, performance-wise.
If you want to go for sheer performance, get the blowtorch out and amputate the entire pipe. Otherwise, you're better off just reducing weight. Remove the seats you're not sitting on, all the covers for internal storage spaces, clear the stuff out the boot, turn the heater on all the way, and drill holes in anything non-structural.
I'm not goin that far, I just wanted bolt-ons, drop-ins, and free stuff, lol.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6338|Twyford, UK
Well, you won't get much performance without going extremely noisy and illegal. Weight reduction is the best thing you can do for it.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Well, you won't get much performance without going extremely noisy and illegal. Weight reduction is the best thing you can do for it.
I never wanted to go illegal.  Just a little more power for a minivan is all I wanted.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6338|Twyford, UK
Then you'll get more of an effect with a fuel additive to clear the gunk out the cylinders. No extra power per se, but it regains what's been lost over time.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD
I told my mom about that a day after we got it back from the routine oil change, lol.  She seemed interested in trying it too.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6561|Mountains of NC

wellllllllllllllll ................ if you are truly interested in dropping in a cold-air intake system, then lets take the minivan to the next level with a power chip, power programmer and dual straight pipes
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

SEREMAKER wrote:

wellllllllllllllll ................ if you are truly interested in dropping in a cold-air intake system, then lets take the minivan to the next level with a power chip, power programmer and dual straight pipes
I'm not even sure if they make a power programmers for the Caravan, i'm fairly sure they don't make power chips for them either, and the only aftermarket exhaust system i've seen for it is on Borla's company Town & Counter (more expensive Chrysler version of the Caravan for those that don't know) and that one is not for sale to the public it looks like.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6759|UK
If you remove the silencer from a car in UK you can be fined thousands of pounds, its why i cant drive my car atm, its exhaust has nearly rusted through.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6710|Riva, MD

Vilham wrote:

If you remove the silencer from a car in UK you can be fined thousands of pounds, its why i cant drive my car atm, its exhaust has nearly rusted through.
Wow, that's pretty gay.
Mad Ad
+178|6504|England, UK
5bhp gain is being very optimistic imo
Eugefunk84
+48|6527
did it to my old ride. It sounded mean, really powerful. Unfortunately the increase in performance is negligable. Your air flow system id only as good as the weakest link, which in most cases is the exhaust piping. So you wont see any real perfomance boost til you swap out the whole engine to muffler assembly. But like i said, it sounds badass 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard