pfcilng
+0|6765|Northern Illinois University
As I sit here studying for my Military History final, which is in a few hours, I begun to think about something.

What are history books likes around the world?  In particular, history that involves the U.S in some way.
I went to grade school in Ecuador, but the level of history I got to there did not involve anything after the 1800's.

How do history books in Europe cover WWI, WWII and all subsequent wars??

I know in the southern states, the Civil War is covered as the War of Northern Aggression.

Interested in hearing from others point of view.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6780|The Hague, Holland
Well in Holland we learn pretty much about WWII and the Cold War.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835

pfcilng wrote:

As I sit here studying for my Military History final, which is in a few hours, I begun to think about something.

What are history books likes around the world?  In particular, history that involves the U.S in some way.
I went to grade school in Ecuador, but the level of history I got to there did not involve anything after the 1800's.

I know in the southern states, the Civil War is covered as the War of Northern Aggression

I know in the southern states, the Civil War is covered as the War of Northern Aggression

1st I heard of this, is this real? what do they teach the black kids in southern schools then?
pfcilng

Horseman 77 wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

1st I heard of this, is this real? what do they teach the black kids in southern schools then?
When I was at a leadership camp, I got to meet cadets from around the country.  We had a group of them from a military college in Georgia, where during the Civil war portion, it was called the War of Northern Agression.  And it wasnt just that one military college, got some collaboration from other kids from southern states.  That is all I know of it.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6761
well im from the south and i was never taught that in school..
A.Drew(G.Drew
+4|6738|Hamilton, Scotland
I dont know much about the American Civil War but i do know much about WW2(didnt learn much about it in school), but there isnt much taught about the American Civil War apart frm mybe some of the history channels. but thats about it

EA and dice should make a game sort like bf2 only its like the civil war or the war of indipendence, i've seen and mod for a game bfore like that and it looked quite kl.
pfcilng
Can anyone from Germany share how history books cover WWII?

Last edited by pfcilng (2005-12-06 14:15:32)

pfcilng

A.Drew(G.Drew wrote:

I dont know much about the American Civil War but i do know much about WW2(didnt learn much about it in school), but there isnt much taught about the American Civil War apart frm mybe some of the history channels. but thats about it

EA and dice should make a game sort like bf2 only its like the civil war or the war of indipendence, i've seen and mod for a game bfore like that and it looked quite kl.
The problem I see with having a Civil War or Independence Game is that you would have to stay in formation, and fire the volleys on command.  Wont be much maneuvering or taking cover, well, there would be some in the Civil War one, but definately not the Revolution.  The Knife would become the best weapon, fire a shot , then lunge with a bayonet or knife
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

pfcilng wrote:

I know in the southern states, the Civil War is covered as the War of Northern Aggression.
Untrue. I went to school in Atlanta and it was always known as the Civil War, the American Civil War, or most commonly the War Between the States. Very few schools will dare to imply that the Union were the aggressors because it's politically incorrect. It seems the majority of the American people still believe that the war was strictly about slavery and that supporting the Confederates means you support slavery. How blind the people have become; Lincoln wasn't a savior to the blacks, he freed them only to strengthen the power of the federal government. He owned slaves himself until the war.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

pfcilng wrote:

"Ve did zome veddy bad tings for a while. Zen came ze 50s...."

Y'know how some countries can look at their current situation and say "wow, it's never been this bad before..."? Yeah, Germany can't do that. :p
pfcilng

FeloniousMonk wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

Untrue. I went to school in Atlanta and it was always known as the Civil War, the American Civil War, or most commonly the War Between the States. Very few schools will dare to imply that the Union were the aggressors because it's politically incorrect. It seems the majority of the American people still believe that the war was strictly about slavery and that supporting the Confederates means you support slavery. How blind the people have become; Lincoln wasn't a savior to the blacks, he freed them only to strengthen the power of the federal government. He owned slaves himself until the war.
Just repeating what the guys from Georgia told me, they went to a small Junior military college out in the boonies somewhere.

To those who still fly the confederate flag, face it, you lost.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

pfcilng wrote:

Just repeating what the guys from Georgia told me, they went to a small Junior military college out in the boonies somewhere.

That's a military college, not a public school.

Do you understand what the war was about?

"face it, you lost" I don't know whether to roll my eyes or feel sorry for ya.
ArMaG3dD0n
+24|6833|Deutschland/Germany

pfcilng wrote:

Half of the pages in my history book i got in school is about nacism, 2.WK and its aftermath. We re taught very detailed what happened and why it happened. It is always stressed that Germany due to its past has a big responsibility to not let something like that happen again anywhere in the world but also that Germans today shouldn t be blamed for anything because they weren t born by then.  Another interesting fact is that it s still not easy to talk about war crimes that may have been commited by other countries too (bombardment of civilians, women being raped by soldiers etc.) because ppl are kind of afraid of getting accused for being nationalistic.

if that s what u wanted to know.....
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

ArMaG3dD0n wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

Half of the pages in my history book i got in school is about nacism, 2.WK and its aftermath. We re taught very detailed what happened and why it happened. It is always stressed that Germany due to its past has a big responsibility to not let something like that happen again anywhere in the world but also that Germans today shouldn t be blamed for anything because they weren t born by then.  Another interesting fact is that it s still not easy to talk about war crimes that may have been commited by other countries too (bombardment of civilians, women being raped by soldiers etc.) because ppl are kind of afraid of getting accused for being nationalistic.

I'd always wondered that myself, good to know.
pfcilng

FeloniousMonk wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

I should of been upfront about the military college portion from the beggining of the post.

Yes, I understnad what it was about, goes beyong the slavery part you mentioned above, states rigths, powers of  federal government, keeping union together, expansion of slavery to new states.  I have studied the civil war from a military point of view, not social, so that is the extent of what I have covered.

I cant find sources that say Lincoln owned slaves, I know family members of his did, but he didnt.  Where are your sources on that one?  Ill ask around tonight at the history department and see if they have anything.

Go ahead and feel sorry for me,
pfcilng

ArMaG3dD0n wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

Exactly what  I wanted to know.

When it comes to war crimes, I dont know many cases where the winners have had people arrested for war crimes.  It is not like the winners did not commit a single war crime during the conflict.

Anyone from Russia, what is Russia's point of view of the Cold War?

Last edited by pfcilng (2005-12-06 15:34:48)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835

FeloniousMonk wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

Man for man the south Kicked the living Shit out of us in every way.
In fact Generals in the North could never figure out why.
One possibility was that Southern states Being more Rural were Better acquainted with Firearms as opposed the North's Urban centers they drafted from.

To make sure this never happened again they started the N.R.A.

It seems to have some truth to it.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

pfcilng wrote:

I should of been upfront about the military college portion from the beggining of the post.

Yes, I understnad what it was about, goes beyong the slavery part you mentioned above, states rigths, powers of  federal government, keeping union together, expansion of slavery to new states.  I have studied the civil war from a military point of view, not social, so that is the extent of what I have covered.

I cant find sources that say Lincoln owned slaves, I know family members of his did, but he didnt.  Where are your sources on that one?  Ill ask around tonight at the history department and see if they have anything.

His family owned them, he bought and sold them many times before he rose to prominence. His family still owned them until the laws told them otherwise. I'll do my best to find a few different sources for ya. But yeah, the point is that the war wasn't about slavery as so many believe.
dshak
+4|6811
I actually encountered a high school level history book from japan, with literally two decades simply MISSING, as if they never happened. want to guess which two those were?

Horesman, are you serious man? I mean are you being serious our sarcastic... because that "thats why they started the NRA comment," wow, side stiches on that one. I know from our previous debates that you think that the right to have weapons is what keeps the US from becoming Nazi germany (not the literally hundreds of checks and balances that exist in our governmental structure) but come on man...

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-06 21:44:41)

pfcilng

FeloniousMonk wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

His family owned them, he bought and sold them many times before he rose to prominence. His family still owned them until the laws told them otherwise. I'll do my best to find a few different sources for ya. But yeah, the point is that the war wasn't about slavery as so many believe.
Yeah I cant find anything so far, couldnt get ahold of anybody at the history department.
Atleast we agree on the causes of the war.  Ever heard of or read, "Lies my teacher told me".
Pretty good book about whitwashing of history.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835

dshak wrote:

I actually encountered a high school level history book from japan, with literally two decades simply MISSING, as if they never happened. want to guess which two those were?

Horesman, are you serious man? I mean are you being serious our sarcastic... because that "thats why they started the NRA comment," wow, side stiches on that one. I know from our previous debates that you think that the right to have weapons is what keeps the US from becoming Nazi germany (not the literally hundreds of checks and balances that exist in our governmental structure) but come on man...
One possibility was that Southern states Being more Rural were Better acquainted with Firearms as opposed the North's Urban centers they drafted from.

To make sure this never happened again they started the N.R.A.

It was something I read once. I said " it seems true ",  How is it switching sides? I never said there Reasons were right, wrong or altruistic. When did I ever Belittle the checks and balances system of our Government.  You are using a bit of artistic license when you paraphrase me, I will take it no further.

The Britons did the same thing with the longbow. When Monarchs feared invasions, they held Archery contests and gave prizes of money or livestock to the Best Bowmen to make sure they would have able bowman, When they Feared their own subjects they banned Arms.

dshak did you Ever notice that in BF2 China is all Caps, like   CHINA. Get on them a bit would you?

theres a sport!
redfoxster
Chopper Whore Extraordinaire
+3|6771
ill put in my two cents....

Im from Texas, born and raised.  Every time we covered American hostory, the civil war was describe and taught as simply the civil war, no teacher ever went about picking sides.  in my own personal opinion, there are a lot of aspects to why it happened and who is to blame for what.  I believe that most people do not ackowledge or realize that the war had very little to do with slavery until after the fact (I base that on the fact that the war started 2 years before the release of the Emancipation Proclamtion).  I believe that the political change it brought about was both good and bad, slavery was ended so that's pretty much the tops, but (ever noticed that the phrase, "The United States is at war in Iraq" is grammatically wrong? before the civil war everyone said, "The United States are at war with...") since then there is no such thing as These United States, its just The United States and the rise of federal government far beyond what our founding fathers ever wanted.  I could go on but won't, im sure i've said enough to pull a few responses.

As for the topic overall, yes te victor always has history written in their favor, notice how most AMerican history books cover how the English hired heshins (sp?) during the Revolutionary War and how they raped and murdered and butchered, of course, we did the same thing but you dont hear much about it.  War is war, and in the midst of it terrible things are done, but whoever wins doesn't have to talk about them.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835
Dshak Redfoxster and Horseman, lets get ready to Rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !
pfcilng

dshak wrote:

In my comparative politics class the professor mentioned that about the Japanese culture, and the missing decades.  I might make it my lifetime goal of collecting history books from around the world to just get a taste of the bigger picture.
SpyHunterUK
+2|6716
Here int he UK Im just about to do my GCSE, we currently have six books, three covering Germany 1918-1945 and three covering Russia and the Cold War.

Sometimes it gets way OTT, im only about 3 months into GCSE as well o.O

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard