Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6460|Tyne & Wear, England
I currently play BF2 on ultra high settings and currently only a 1 Meg connection.  Even so BF2 runs perfectly with no lag etc and pings in their 20s-60s.

However I am upgrading to 6.5 Meg within the coming week.  My only fear is that it is wireless (which I have heard so many bad things about).  Will I still be able to run BF2 as well as I currently do?
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
OakLeaves
Banned
+70|6312|Newcastle UK
where the fuck you get 6.5 meg in newcastle? pm me if u dont want to post.
danCer
teh m0nsta
+314|6712|Germany
Yeah sure, the settings of your BF2 have nothing to do the the network connection.
But you could also get disconnects, lags, what so ever if you don't have a proper connection between your pc and the wirless router. Where is the router in the house/flat and your pc located?
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
It will be on the landing outside of my bedroom.  Id guess about 4 metres away from my computer.
danCer
teh m0nsta
+314|6712|Germany
There shouldn't be a problem then.
If the WLan Router is crappy then you still could take a cable to connect but i doubt that this would be necessary.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6562|Area 51
Was I the only one which noticed the ''ultra high settings'' thing? How the hell can u have ultra high settings?
claor
+39|6411|Australia

RDMC(2) wrote:

Was I the only one which noticed the ''ultra high settings'' thing? How the hell can u have ultra high settings?
you can force it into ultrahigh, in the video file,  1=low 2=medium 3=high.you can only change it to this in the game, because they removed ultrahigh from the ingame menu. 4=ultrahigh... dosent really make a difference though.

as for the internet, it should be fine.. you wont neeed to lower seeting or anything.
if you have problems, buy a cable
goodluck
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

claor wrote:

RDMC(2) wrote:

you can force it into ultrahigh, in the video file,  1=low 2=medium 3=high.you can only change it to this in the game, because they removed ultrahigh from the ingame menu. 4=ultrahigh... dosent really make a difference though.

as for the internet, it should be fine.. you wont neeed to lower seeting or anything.
if you have problems, buy a cable
goodluck
Not any more you can't.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6717|Scotland
anyways, I got by BT Home Hub today, but the service isn't activated so i can't plug it in

Just sitting beside my bed lol
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
If anyone is thinking of upgrading, whatever you do, don't go with Sky broadband, they are truly shite.  The customer service is bollocks and we were waiting 3 months for them to connect us so in the end we told them to shove it up their arses.
Richard2000
Banned
+39|6542|England
i use net gear and it works with no problems as long it runs at 109 mbps or more
cospengle
+140|6484|Armidale, NSW, Australia
OK, I'm sorry for highjacking your thread, but no one has posted for over a week, and I didn't want to make a whole new thread, so...

I just got ADSL2 today after having ADSL for over a year. Apparently ADSL2 is supposed to be "up to 20 times faster". I guess the emphasis is on the "up to"...

old connection (ADSL ~1500Kbps):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/96774215.png

new connection (ADSL2+):
https://www.speedtest.net/result/111659501.png

could that be right?

At least my upload has improved alot, which is good for gaming.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6564|NYC / Hamburg

cospengle wrote:

OK, I'm sorry for highjacking your thread, but no one has posted for over a week, and I didn't want to make a whole new thread, so...

I just got ADSL2 today after having ADSL for over a year. Apparently ADSL2 is supposed to be "up to 20 times faster". I guess the emphasis is on the "up to"...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/96774215.png

new connection (ADSL2+):
http://www.speedtest.net/result/111659501.png

could that be right?

you probably only got a 3meg connection form your ISP. ADSL2 can be a lot faster than ADSL, but only if your bandwidth is not throttled by your ISP
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
cospengle
Yeah, that sounds about right too. Fussin Russin Russin...I just went through 2 weeks with dial up while they disconnected my ADSL and connected my ADSL2.... NOT worth it.

EDIT: BTW, just for those of you who like to gloat about how bad Aussie internet is, ADSL2 has only just become available in our area. Until then 1500Kb/s was the fastest. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much

Last edited by cospengle (2007-04-11 03:11:40)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6435|King Of The Islands

max wrote:

cospengle wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/96774215.png

new connection (ADSL2+):
http://www.speedtest.net/result/111659501.png

could that be right?

you probably only got a 3meg connection form your ISP. ADSL2 can be a lot faster than ADSL, but only if your bandwidth is not throttled by your ISP
Nah, ADSL2+ in Aus goes all the way to 24.

"You get what you get", like in the dialup days (which, ironically most of the country is still in)

You don't live on a housing estate do you? Telstra likes to put in cheap hardware called RIMs, and they aren't capable of anything above 4mb.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
cospengle
hehe, well actually when I moved in here a year ago, we got ADSL put on and we'd loose our connection every time it rained... sucks to live in the only area of NSW that ISN'T in drought. lol

EDIT: Anyway, I'm going to enjoy what I've got; it's been nearly 2 weeks without BF2 so guess what I'm going to do right now... I did try to join a server with my 24bps dialup connection, I was hoping I might be able to go commander, but I couldn't even open the squad screen in game to apply.

Last edited by cospengle (2007-04-11 03:20:07)

DA|2KSL4Y3R
BF2s AU Server Admin
+49|6395|Perth, Australia
I'm in Perth, and have ADSL2+ but my speeds are very slow. I get   1056kbps down   and   480kbps up.
Ratzinger
+43|6389|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
I'm in Wollongong, and was notified by my provider (Dodo, who are getting very bad press about customer service) that ADSL 2 was now available. So he's giving me the package details, and I'm going "Yeah, give me 24Mbps!!!!!, and at the last minute he says "we can only do this if we bundle phone service with it".

Shit!!!
Cheez

Hmm. I remember when McMinty first got 2+ I attempted to figure it out there.
Lets see here...

Try going into your modem's config and seeing what your line sync is (also check Down Attenuation, VPI, etc).

Do you know how much your line can handle, distance wise? You can do this equation:
  (Down Attenuation/1381) x 100=your distance in Km's
Then reference this graph

Edit: stupid maths.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

ADSL2 works just fine for me. Yet if you have a 24Mb connection don't expect 24Mb downloads etc.

I get 18Mbps actual speed on my supposedly 24Mb line, which is due to the distance to my local telephone exchange. I've never had an individual download go faster than 1.5MBps (12 Mbps), which is about half my downstream bandwidth, but I can do other stuff without the download slowing down, so the connection isn't saturated by those speeds. As for upstream speeds, I typically upload torrents at about 140KBps (1.1Mbps - I should theoretically get 1.3Mbps).

The latencies I'm seeing between my connection and the telephone exchange are quite understandable and I'm pleased with my connection overall.
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6342|Cali
Dial up = win.
Cheez

Bertster7 wrote:

ADSL2 works just fine for me. Yet if you have a 24Mb connection don't expect 24Mb downloads etc.

I get 18Mbps actual speed on my supposedly 24Mb line, which is due to the distance to my local telephone exchange. I've never had an individual download go faster than 1.5MBps (12 Mbps), which is about half my downstream bandwidth, but I can do other stuff without the download slowing down, so the connection isn't saturated by those speeds. As for upstream speeds, I typically upload torrents at about 140KBps (1.1Mbps - I should theoretically get 1.3Mbps).

The latencies I'm seeing between my connection and the telephone exchange are quite understandable and I'm pleased with my connection overall.
Oh yeah, well...

My 1.5 has shit throughput AND I'm paying $70/m for 20GB. Top that boy.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

Cheez wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Oh yeah, well...

That's what I pay for 24Mbit with no download limits. Download limits FTL! How do you cope with only 20GB - that's nothing.

That's what you get for living in a massive sparsely populated country.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-04-11 17:55:29)

Cheez

Bertster7 wrote:

Cheez wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Oh yeah, well...

That's what I pay for 24Mbit with no download limits. Download limits FTL! How do you cope with only 20GB - that's nothing.

That's what you get for living in a massive sparsely populated country.
Despite its size, Australia's population density is suprisingly... dense.

98% of the population lives in the major cities Melbourne/Sydney/Canberra/Brisbane/GoldCoast/Perth/Adelaide/Newcastle... Did I forget anyone?

Telstra (Telecom Australia - the government entity acting like a business) uses that same excuse when it comes to getting Australian Internet out of the 1990s.

Unlimited Internet in Australia does not exist. I believe the highest plan anyone has given was 100GB (which is not shabby) but at nearing $150/m its not worth it.

Bigpond (Telstra's) offerings, despite not having to buy use of the network from anyone (unlike all other ISPs)

/rant
cospengle

Cheez wrote:

Hmm. I remember when McMinty first got 2+ I attempted to figure it out there.
Lets see here...

Try going into your modem's config and seeing what your line sync is (also check Down Attenuation, VPI, etc).

Do you know how much your line can handle, distance wise? You can do this equation:
  (Down Attenuation/1381) x 100=your distance in Km's
Then reference this graph

Edit: stupid maths.
Thanks for the link. I worked it out to be 2.2km from the exchange, which is about right.

So I guess when they told me I was getting a 24Mbps connection, they meant that's what I would get if I lived in the exchange... I never expected to get the full theoretical speed of course, but I'm pretty disappointed it's only 13% of what I was promised. Maybe I could ask them if it's OK to pay 13% of the price??? lol

EDIT: Hold the phone, I did that calculation above and used that value on the y axis of the graph to interpolate the distance. But the units on the graph are kbps. What's the formula for? At 2.2km I should be getting 14000kbps.

Last edited by cospengle (2007-04-12 00:43:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard