zeidmaan
+234|6404|Vienna

In PR servers with ABR in the name have ranks (glory hounds,  Thors, iGi, PTG, Helix etc). You can see the ranks here:
http://www.gloryhoundz.com/stats/

And yep I wish no game had stats and ranks because it makes half the people on the server play like idiots just to get a badge or a ribbon. One plays knives only to get the knife kills, one with pistols, commander is AFK but is a commander just to get the hours, there are 10 squads with 1 guy only because everyone needs SL hours etc. And dude that was saying rank = more people, well its true sadly but some mods dont want "more people" they just want good people. People that play for the fun of it.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC EVERYONE... K THANKS BY
Just played for bunch of hours and its not very different from vanila BF2. Rules are the same (unfortunately). Conquest with no assault lines (biggest mistake) so its just hop from one flag to another. Flags change ownership about 20 times IAR.
It is better of course in many aspects. They have put a lot of work on vehicles. On "big" maps infantry is almost non egsistent, you get maybe 2 planes, 2 choppers, 2-4 mobile AAs, about 6 tanks, 2-4 APC 2 artilleries etc. So there is definitly a spot for everyone in a vehicle.
There are few good "city" maps and few that are insanely crap. Think karkand smile

AT class now has also a AA missile launcher. The missiles dont lock on but they have a proximity fuse. Meaning the missile explodes when it gets near a target. The closer the better (more damage). They are really good at taking down choppers because choppers are quite slow. But if a good pilot is in a airplane its a different story.

Biggest unbalance is infantry vs tanks. AT class has unguided, slow flying rockets that have roughly the same physics as Assault class grenade launcher grenades. Meaning they fly in an arch pattern. So imagine how hard it is to hit a moving tank with a grenade launcher.
And on top of that it takes 4-5 hits to the tank, and tanks move much faster than in vanilla BF2. AND on top of that it takes no more than 10 seconds to repair a tank. On Jalalabad I parked my tank next to another guy in a tank, both of us engineers, and we never even got close to being destroyed.
I will not judge teamwork because its a brand new mod and everyone wants to try it.   

So basically if you like the vanilla game play you will LOVE this mod and if you are not a stats whore you will never play vanilla again. Its that much better.
But if you love Project Reality's tactical, realistic gameplay, accurate powerfull weapons and other stuff you will not enjoy it much.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6379

It's going to be hosted on Gamearena in Australia - I just filed a request.
And, being a BigPond member, I'll have full bandwith priority, coupled with no charge for the memory used! 

Unfortunately, the maximum speed for most of Australia (other than cable) is 1500kps.  Not including ADSL2+, as Telstra, being teh shit, can't be stuffed to upgrade the internet networks for most of the major cities.

So I'll be downloading at about 163 kb/s.  It took almost three hours to download Project Reality like that.

zeidmaan wrote:

AT class now has also a AA missile launcher. The missiles dont lock on but they have a proximity fuse. Meaning the missile explodes when it gets near a target. The closer the better (more damage). They are really good at taking down choppers because choppers are quite slow. But if a good pilot is in a airplane its a different story.

Biggest unbalance is infantry vs tanks. AT class has unguided, slow flying rockets that have roughly the same physics as Assault class grenade launcher grenades. Meaning they fly in an arch pattern. So imagine how hard it is to hit a moving tank with a grenade launcher.
And on top of that it takes 4-5 hits to the tank, and tanks move much faster than in vanilla BF2. AND on top of that it takes no more than 10 seconds to repair a tank.
Sounds like BF 1942.  Those ATs were useless and the only way to kill a tank quickly was one or two rockets to the rear of the turret or engine compartment.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-03-30 18:15:45)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6377|New York
Yeah, its fun, but i find it a bit disappointing. It seems to be missing something i can't place.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6379

Desert Conflict is now available for Australian BigPond users!
http://www.gamearena.com.au/downloads/d … 01a-client

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-03-31 01:27:24)

Krysiss
+15|6463|NL

zeidmaan wrote:

And on top of that it takes 4-5 hits to the tank, and tanks move much faster than in vanilla BF2. AND on top of that it takes no more than 10 seconds to repair a tank.
Lol I don't know what you have played.

but as AT boy vs tank it;s really simple to take them out because if they shoot form far they don't do any damage, do they want to take a flag they must come in the base.

and then it's price shooting.
zeidmaan
+234|6404|Vienna

Krysiss wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

Lol I don't know what you have played.

but as AT boy vs tank it;s really simple to take them out because if they shoot form far they don't do any damage, do they want to take a flag they must come in the base.

and then it's price shooting.
Thats true. But tanks that cap flags are dumb in my opinion and they are easy to take out in BF2, BF2142, PR and DC. If not by AT than by C4/RDX. But if you keep your distance you will be much harder to take out. And with increased speed you can always pool back for repairs which is magically fast.
And its not true that tank shells and machine guns don't do any damage from distance. They do the same amount of damage.

But one great thing is that USMC SF class has a carbine with sound suppressor and optical sights. I had so much fun with it
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6569|Melbourne, Australia.
Lost Villiage is the only map worth mentioning
j4mi3-k1ll3r
+19|6636|Behind that RPK-74
getting @ 1.1Mb/ps Torrent.

https://sig.gamedrome.com/gen/30836.jpg
robthemadman
Always blame it on the ping
+63|6325
Just downloading now, looking forward to this...

The Multiplay UK download site is great for anyone in the UK, going daaaaaamn fast for me.
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6626|Wigan. Manchester. England.
Is this better than PR?

Or is it completly different altogether?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6434|The Land of Scott Walker
PR and DC are much different but for me, DC has a bigger fun factor.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6344|England - Kent
MPUK 450k+ not bad for me
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6556|NYC / Hamburg

completely different. DC is very much like vBF2 just without all the nerfs, better accuracy and some new vehicles, while nearly everything has been changed from bf2 to PR
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Raphi
Banned
+354|6247|Basel, Switzerland
I love DCon.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6638|Norway

im_in_heaven wrote:

The_Killer wrote:

im_in_heaven wrote:

I clearly know that these mods arent as big as bf2. So put your brain to work and tell me why. Your fooling yourself if you think rank means shit. Most people still play this game now cuz of the ranking system. Im not ripping on the game so you dont have to come "try" to rip on me. I would probably play that game instad of bf2 if it had ranks. And beleive me tonnes of other people would to.
If you only play games for ranks then wow. This mod doent need ranks it owns with out them.
I played this game cuz it was really fun at the beginning then after a few hundred hours its not as fun. So the ranking keeps people playing. Im stil waiting for some answers as to why any mod hasnt reached the heights of bf2 yet. I mean Not even 1/1000th of the size. So yea ranks do mean alot.
It`s a good thing that stat whores stay out of dcon because of the rank thing, i also feel sorry for you when you say that only play for your rank. I must have so much more fun playing than you.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6510|Istanbul-Turkey
jet locks and warnings are just a waste, missiles are not chasing enemy jet.
a-10s and s-25s cannons are much more effective then armored fury, you can even destroy a tank with a dive.
helicopters are useless, an at guy can easily take you down.
us weapons are lame, ak have to much recoil.

Last edited by Ottomania (2007-04-15 11:51:52)

Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6683|The Ville
Do people still play this ? I'm dling it right now.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6341|uk

Obiwan wrote:

Do people still play this ? I'm dling it right now.
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php? … leval=dcon

~10 servers populated at this time
Bo$$Man
+1|6167|Los Angeles
Nice I didnt know it was ut yet! Rock on!
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6576|sWEEDen
Hell yeah we "still" play it...and remember it´s an alpha release and still is very good. ....new patch hopefully out soon.....it could need balancing infantry and also more oldschool maps.
mikkel
+383|6590

im_in_heaven wrote:

The_Killer wrote:

im_in_heaven wrote:

I played this game cuz it was really fun at the beginning then after a few hundred hours its not as fun. So the ranking keeps people playing. Im stil waiting for some answers as to why any mod hasnt reached the heights of bf2 yet. I mean Not even 1/1000th of the size. So yea ranks do mean alot.
The mod just came out today. Rank means jack shit and it is good mods that they dont have ranks so most people are willing to work as a team rather than lone wolfing and trying to get tons of points and making there team loose. This mod is 20x better than bf2 it is what bf2 should have been like when it first came out. It doesnt need ranks.
It needs ranks to survive imo. A game needs incentives to continuously play in order to survive now. So what if it just came out. Ever mod has the same crap about "more teamwork" and no ranks no whores etc etc. None of them made it. why? Put 2 and 2 together.
Desert Combat, arguably the reason BF2 exists, is what kept BF1942 alive, and in spectacular fashion all the way up 'till the release of BF2, having more regular players than vanilla BF1942. Desert Combat didn't have stats.

The only reason mods haven't caught on with BF2 like they did with BF1942 is that BF2 already does what these mods did for BF1942. A WWII mod for BF2 wouldn't be very successful, but obviously a present-day mod for BF1942 would be, and was. Arguably moreso than the original game.

Stats by no means mean everything. Neither Half-Life 1 nor 2 had stats. Quake 1, 2 and 3 all didn't have stats, UT99 had an awkward stats system, but most people didn't really care at all. These are all very successful games with extremely active modding communities, and they obviously needed neither stats, ranks nor persistence to thrive.
Benzin
+576|5987
So are there a lot of really active servers for this mod? Is it any good?
zeidmaan
+234|6404|Vienna

not really...
BF2 mods are doing pretty bad, mostly because of stupid stats. People just cant accept the idea of playing if it doesnt count towards the stats. Current status of BF2 mods is:
DCon - 54
Project Reality - 312 (only mod that has few full servers every night)
POE2 - 91
rest of them are either empty or just few people on them.

go to game-monitor and select BF2 and the mod you want
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=bf2

There is one new mod coming out that looks very promising:
http://www.bgfmod.com/
Benzin
+576|5987
I found one at the moment for DCON that is populated. But it's version 0.16. Maybe if I was back in the USA I would be able to play Dcon ...
Saizmeerack
+2|5905
Downloading know.. Better be good

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard