FourthHorseman
+36|6426|TX
I have most likely never spoken to anyone on this board in real life, and I don't even post that often. However, upon a recent epiphany I have decided it would be in my best interest to retire from the Battlefield world. Not that any of you have any real reason to care, but I just wanted to make it official.

I'll be retiring from 2142 as a Field Marshal Gold, which is plenty high a rank as far as I'm concerned. I started to look at my playing time...something like 10 days total. I have lost 10 days to this game, and I KNOW that I could keep on playing it for much, much longer. That's part of the problem.

I have all the badges, all but three unlocks, most of the pins, a few medals and ribbons, for what all that's worth. But what I gain in the game has an equivalent loss in real life. I lose time with my wife, I lose the chance to play with my son for a few more minutes before he goes to bed. I lose countless hours of sleep and most nights don't get to bed until midnight, so I'm losing the chance to go to bed with my wife as well, not to mention the OTHER negative side effects that has to offer.

It really just kind of hit me today...I love to play video games, and I especially love playing online against real people. It beats the ever living hell out of computer AI. But every time I sit down to play some 2142, I miss out. We have updates on the house we need to fix, I have an 18-month old son who loves to be tickled and chased around the house, and (like most people) I have a significant amount of self-improvement to do.

Keep in mind, this is not a rant against video games--I think they're great. I've been playing since Atari, and they have always been part of my life. There is nothing wrong with the games or gamers. I find the field of video game design fascinating as well...think about Doom. Think about Wolfenstein. Look how far First person shooters have come. They totally immerse you in them, they get your adrenaline pumping, and they're FUN!
But I think at my age, and with my situation, it's just time to put away the RAZR Mouse and the ZBoard and pick up the books and toys.

Not everyone is in my situation. A lot of you guys are single, or have understanding wives, or maybe you're younger and have the time and energy to really play this game. I know it's going to be hard initially, but for me, this is what I want to do. Again, not that anybody here has a reason to care, but I just needed to get my feelings out there.

Maybe I'll take up hiking or something. Perhaps I'll do more work outside in the yard, or teach a class, or write a novel. Regardless, I don't regret this decision at all, and I don't think I'll miss the gaming. I will remember some of the battles, and some of those really badass moments when I was just Uber-Pwning the nuubs with my 1337ness.

And then my son will smile at me.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
if I was in your situation I'd probably do the same thing, for what it's worth +1.  You can only watch your kid grow up once.. unless you have another.

If you're looking for a hobby, try cycling - it's a lot of fun.
aLeX
.?
+160|6301|:D

You sir, know how to write a retirement speech and a half. I hope things get better now you've given up the gaming addiction. Good luck! Oh and +1 it brought tears to my eyes
Buzerk1
+44|6806
Not a rant, just a good/smart decision if you ask me.... peace!!
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States
Its all about balancing priority, smart decision IMO you might as well be spending your time doing anything else. Playing video games isnt a "waste" of time as long as you find meaning and enjoyment out of it but if you think that it is taking meaning from something more important like your situation then you made the right choice.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
Glad to see you put that forward. Much more important than video games.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6680|Sweden
A similar post about Wow when i played it made me quit that game, well written.
JovesApples
+4|6423|USA
good luck with that...

dont be a quitter... just learn some discipline FFS!
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York

JovesApples wrote:

good luck with that...

I dont think quitting is the issue here. He decided that real life is more important than video games at this point in time. Things change, priorities change, don't give him shit for living life.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
GeoEnvi
+22|6657|Philadelphia, PA
Wow.  A perfect summary of the way I feel.... at times.... such as when I've wasted away the better part of a Sun-filled San Diego Saturday visting the cold, dark environs of sub-artic Leipzig!

Truly eye-opening post...+1
FourthHorseman
+36|6426|TX

JovesApples wrote:

good luck with that...

I am assuming from your post that you can't understand the situation I am in, nor do I expect you to have any empathy. After all, for all you know or care,  I am a faceless, nameless entity posting about my disconnection from a virtual world where I was...well, not necessarily faceless, since all the guys pretty much look alike, and I did have a screen name....but I digress...

The fact is, I don't know you, but I respect your opinion. There was a time when I was so hardcore about this game, and Battlefield 2 as well. I LOVED those games, and still do. As I stated in my previous post, I don't look down or condescend any gmes or gamers. I highly respect the industry, and I see nothing wrong with any video games. I mean, surgeons use them to develop hand eye coordination. Remember that when you go in for brain surgery...the guy with the scalpel may have been owning your ass on Camp Gibraltar the night before.

I just want to reprioritize my life, you know? Or, as you say, get some discipline. I'm a grown man, and part of the process of truly reaching adulthood is knowing when to sacrifice. For me, this is a sacrifice, because, to be honest, I'm just a working stiff who gets up at 4:00 and takes his son to daycare, goes to work for a measly paycheck, comes home and feeds the family, puts the kid to sleep, spends what quality time he can with his wife, and then maybe, if there's time, plays some 2142.  You have to know what to leave in and what to leave out. My family comes first, and I want to watch my son grow up somewhere other than in the glare of the screen.

Last edited by FourthHorseman (2007-03-26 20:16:40)

JovesApples
+4|6423|USA
im not trying to attack you, or disrespect your position at all... maybe you do need to take a step back for a couple of weeks and get your priorities straight.

you gotta make time for the woman, for the child, and for yourself.

having a family should not be a burden that prevents you from enjoying your entertainment, and 2142 should not be a burden that prevents you from enjoying your family.
Anti_-_Logic81
+2|6492|Houston, TX
Its good that you have taken yourself aback for a moment and reflected on this. Shows maturity it does.

You know I'm not sure if you're going to read this thread again but there are a shit ton of great board games out there that you can play with your friends and family...they have really come a long way...I was floored since my exodus from board games over a decade ago...but now there's Heroscape (okay its sorta of a boardgame to me), Descent, Tides of War...personal favorite is descent...
www.fantasyflightgames.com/

I'm sure you can find something you and your son can get a real kick out of whether its a board game or not.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6625|UK
WoW fair play to you mate, I'm sorta in the same position, but i was forced to quit as i was moving home and i have no Internet connection as such, just freeloading from a wireless router, but the sig is not strong enough to play games... so recently i have found my self getting in touch with mates more, ya know just popping in for a chat and a coffee, going out with my dog not just for an hour a day or a lame walk around the park, but packing my hiking boots and staying out all day with him, my sleeping pattern has almost returned, and i get up in the morning, not in the early afternoon.... my farther is very ill and lives about an hour away, so now i find my self driving down for a chat, even for just a few hours, when as b4 i would get up play bf, and by the time i got my shit together it would be to late... AGAIN don't get me wrong, I LOVE GAMING and don't condone anyone who plays on-line games, as they do bring much fun, and you create great mates thru clans and TS or VENT... so as i said fair play to you mate, and i wish you all the luck....

i will still be playing but not as much
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
OMG, he made I 'I'm going to quit Battlefield' speech, and put it in such away that he isn't and attention whore.

You, sire, know how to write, +1!
']['error
Banned
+630|6614|The Netherlands

Adams_BJ wrote:

OMG, he made I 'I'm going to quit Battlefield' speech, and put it in such away that he isn't and attention whore.

You, sire, know how to write, +1!
indeed he did it very well, i hit me. I hope he will also have GG in real life.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6496|Milkystania, yurop
To much text my eyes started to bleed anywow have fun in Teh reeel wuuurld aiiiight.........
007hutchy
+2|6758
Very well written and i wish you all the best
zeidmaan
+234|6385|Vienna

good luck... keep it real
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6358|USA, MICHIGAN
i also have young children, 2 daughters the oldest one is almost 4,  the younger one is almost 1 1/2.  i make time for them and my wife every night, but on the weekends when they shopping or at night after they go to bed....it's daddy's time to play!!
JovesApples
+4|6423|USA
hmm, maybe they should sticky this thread... and we can all come in here and make a post once a week like a AA meeting...

SGT_Squirtle
+13|6686
I had the same sort of epiphany a few years back. would go to work for 9+ hours a day then come home and sit in front of the computer for another 6+ hours. Until I realized my kids were growing up without me.

Now I still play, and probably always will... but it might be for an hour a night after everyone has gone to bed rather than the entire night. And sometimes not even that much. Thats why I only have about 95 hours of play time on 2142 and I probably bought it the same day you did.

Good job getting your priorities straight, just thought I'd let you know you don't have to give it up completely... just cut way back.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard