Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6645
-at photoshop (used it for 2 years, got "classroom in a book" tutorial, i can use it quite well but not really as well as I'd like to)
-at anything related to photoshop (handy programs for good effects)
-at rendering (i got C4D 2 days ago and I'm thinking of learning how to use it
-at graphics design in general?

books, online tutorials, sites, programs, I'd appreciate anything

Last edited by SargeV1.4 (2007-03-26 05:50:46)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6743
well there is the obvious one for photoshop www.good-tutorials.com

not too sure about the CAD or flash stuff though, but I am sure there are loads of sites out there for Flash and Action Script.

edit: wrong link now fixed.

Last edited by theDude5B (2007-03-26 05:40:02)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

I was making money working for xfire 3 months after teaching myself photoshop from tutorials on pixel2life. Never had a chance to use anything other than PS so can't comment on flash and the like.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
I think the best way to go pro is go College or University...
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
There's classes for this sort of thing now.Not just for College but you can pay to go and learn them.

I bet there's people who will come out and tutor you as well.

Nothing really useful though like scanning a £20 note and photoshoping the serial to a new one...What?Special paper for money costs alot so there isn't much money in doing this...What?
Jackabo
+127|6551|Dublin, Ireland
books and stuff. I went to this shop and they had like books specifically designed for photoshop and it was really big!
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

Basically; you need to have patience, a good eye, be keen to learn, and patience.

I taught myself everything I know from the internet and from trial and error. It takes time, but my, is it worth it.

I just search on google, and play around with PS.

May I ponder on why you want to become a pro?
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6510|USA
learn from a pro... find an internship or some hands-on work.  "don't let schooling interfere with a good education."
Aapje
Internet Superhero
+221|6389
I exactly know what you are talking about!

Visiting

www.nationalsigleague.com ( Check tutorials after registering) and practice is enough. I'm now creating space thingy's etc. I'm pretty good at Photoshop I guess now www.kmtx.deviantart.com

I'll talk to you on xfire maybe got to have a bath.
Entertayner
+826|6563

Warez is where all the books and stuff are at but other than that I guess you can become "pro" by starting your own business or joining an existing one but other than that.. You'd have to define your meaning of the word "pro"
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6645

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

I was making money working for xfire 3 months after teaching myself photoshop from tutorials on pixel2life. Never had a chance to use anything other than PS so can't comment on flash and the like.
making money how exactly?

FFLink13 wrote:

I think the best way to go pro is go College or University...
no. no. NO.

X-Ecuti0ner wrote:

books and stuff. I went to this shop and they had like books specifically designed for photoshop and it was really big!
got books, they teach you basics. Maybe I need some proBooks.

Zimmer wrote:

Basically; you need to have patience, a good eye, be keen to learn, and patience.

I taught myself everything I know from the internet and from trial and error. It takes time, but my, is it worth it.

I just search on google, and play around with PS.

May I ponder on why you want to become a pro?
I taught myself everything from trial error and from 3 technique guides from the internet. and 2 chapters of PS books. It doesn't teach you the more advanced things.

I want to go 'pro' because I love graphics, I love design, and I want to learn the entire thing and create some actual art. And later on use it to get a job.

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

learn from a pro... find an internship or some hands-on work.  "don't let schooling interfere with a good education."
learn from someone else? in a job? really, no thanks

kmt wrote:

I exactly know what you are talking about!

Visiting

www.nationalsigleague.com ( Check tutorials after registering) and practice is enough. I'm now creating space thingy's etc. I'm pretty good at Photoshop I guess now www.kmtx.deviantart.com

I'll talk to you on xfire maybe got to have a bath.
will do

Entertayner wrote:

Warez is where all the books and stuff are at but other than that I guess you can become "pro" by starting your own business or joining an existing one but other than that.. You'd have to define your meaning of the word "pro"
pro = extremely good, able to do it for a job

and yes warez is where its at.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

SargeV1.4 wrote:

making money how exactly?
Contract work, working from home, did everything by email (UK <-> USA) with a guy called Matt Gilman.

They're always looking for graphics workers to do contract work, just make a small portfolio of what you can do and write an email to Matt.

I applied for the job as a bit of a joke after spotting their ad for graphics workers in an email they send out to xfire users, all I had to show was forum sigs I'd made for friends and my email was pretty casual, few months later I was doing trial work for them, pays about $15 per hour for starters, if they fall in love with you you can start negotiating for more.

I was designing advertising banners and the like for their promotions, basically all the graphics and things on their site that relate to any promotion that xfire themselves is running. I don't do it anymore though, haven't got the time for it anymore with a full time job.

EDIT: TBH, making money from photoshop work and being pro don't necessarily go together, the work for xfire is insanely easy.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-03-26 16:04:48)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6645

EDIT: TBH, making money from photoshop work and being pro don't necessarily go together, the work for xfire is insanely easy.
insanely good. I'd love to do something like that to earn some spare monies. How much work did you usually get in a week/month?
Entertayner
+826|6563

Show us some of your work Sarge and I guess we could make a vague judgement ;P
Darky
Hi..
+71|6554|Here.

theDude5B wrote:

not too sure about the CAD or flash stuff though, but I am sure there are loads of sites out there for Flash and Action Script.

www.gamerenders.com runs rings around good-tutorials.

I'd suggest reading tutorials then practicing then reading some more tutorials. Oh, and practice, practice, practice.
Entertayner
+826|6563

Darky wrote:

theDude5B wrote:

www.gamerenders.com runs rings around good-tutorials.

I'd suggest reading tutorials then practicing then reading some more tutorials. Oh, and practice, practice, practice.
www.pixel2life.com > alltbh.
Chorcai
+49|6640|Ireland
Do you have any idea how hard it is to break into this industry, its not easy. Knowing how to use PS is one thing but working with a client(s) is very differant. Also why only PS ? It depends on what field of design you want to get into. Be it DTP, Print, Mixed Media etc etc. Print/DTP is what I do, this is what you need know in full : PS, Adobe Ill, Indesign, QuarkExpress, Acrobat, Adobe PageMaker. Not to piss on your chips but really, got to work in a studio if you can get into one that is. Best of luck either way man.

Last edited by Chorcai (2007-03-27 04:04:35)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

SargeV1.4 wrote:

insanely good. I'd love to do something like that to earn some spare monies. How much work did you usually get in a week/month?
Well, the best way to earn a lot of cash is web design, in terms of design wise etc.
You could get as much as...well just look at the pros prices and you will see.

I am currently creating my website to show off my work. ( It will rock your little brains )
But to get to that stage I had to learn coding as well. Which I am guessing you don't want to do.
So I guess you can just go into the design part of websites.
I do that as well, it isn't hard -- well it is, but not if you know what you are doing -- you just have to have an eye for originality and sexyness.

I just added you on Xfire. I can help you quite a bit with your "quest" to find "pro ness".
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

Chorcai wrote:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to break into this industry, its not easy. Knowing how to use PS is one thing but working with a client(s) is very differant. Also why only PS ? It depends on what field of design you want to get into. Be it DTP, Print, Mixed Media etc etc. Print/DTP is what I do, this is what you need know in full : PS, Adobe Ill, Indesign, QuarkExpress, Acrobat, Adobe PageMaker. Not to piss on your chips but really, got to work in a studio if you can get into one that is. Best of luck either way man.
Not true.
Yes, you need to be good with clients and know how to handle things.
But you do not need to know in full half of those programs.
It seriously depends on what Sarge wants to do; PS is a main start, then he can go onto flash, dreamweaver, Quark.
YOU need to know those programs inside out because you require them for your work, but not every pro has knowledge of all of them. If you wanna go spend $750 on Quark, go for it. But you DON'T NEED IT.
Learn with what you have. If your tasks get more difficult and expand, then you may have to expand with them, allowing new programs to come into your work. But not now.
Aapje
Internet Superhero
+221|6389

Zimmer wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Well, the best way to earn a lot of cash is web design, in terms of design wise etc.
You could get as much as...well just look at the pros prices and you will see.

I am currently creating my website to show off my work. ( It will rock your little brains )
But to get to that stage I had to learn coding as well. Which I am guessing you don't want to do.
So I guess you can just go into the design part of websites.
I do that as well, it isn't hard -- well it is, but not if you know what you are doing -- you just have to have an eye for originality and sexyness.

I just added you on Xfire. I can help you quite a bit with your "quest" to find "pro ness".
You also use Photoshop to slice I guess? I thought I was one of the only ones who made templates here But It's still my hobby I'm going to do it after I finished my school

Currently trying to get better at my coding ( not the basics , lol ) to make more dynamic sites as I don't want to let other people code it

A friend of mine actually is already earning money with it.. Maybe I should try it too..
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

I already have, quite a bit as well.

Got any examples of your sites kmt?
Entertayner
+826|6563

Zimmer92 wrote:

(It will rock your little brains )
Lol... We'll see Zimmy, just remember the good old days..

(and gimme a shout if you need anything.. )
Chorcai
+49|6640|Ireland

Zimmer wrote:

Chorcai wrote:

Not true.
Yes, you need to be good with clients and know how to handle things.
But you do not need to know in full half of those programs.
It seriously depends on what Sarge wants to do; PS is a main start, then he can go onto flash, dreamweaver, Quark.
YOU need to know those programs inside out because you require them for your work, but not every pro has knowledge of all of them. If you wanna go spend $750 on Quark, go for it. But you DON'T NEED IT.
Learn with what you have. If your tasks get more difficult and expand, then you may have to expand with them, allowing new programs to come into your work. But not now.
I was just pointing out whats needed in the print industry, but more and more these days places req that you need to know every god dam software there is. If it PS that hes only going for then no need to worry about the rest of these programs.
MrE`158
+103|6616
I know a little about the design world from the print side of things too.  Not personal knowledge, but I have a good friend who's a professional graphic designer.

Obviously PS skills are important, but if you work in a print industry, Quark seems to be really key as well. 

Don't dismiss qualifications so flippantly either.  Yes, you can get work without them, but to really advance in the career, they help a lot.  A one year course that gives you a certificate of some sort can help immensely.

A lot is going to depend on the job market you aim for.  Designing purely for computer screens is very different from designing for print.  interning at a design office should be high on your list of priorities. 

Don't forget that not every graphic designer gets to spend his days coming up with stylish websites, cool t-shirts or pictures of fruit with a bite taken out of 'em.  A lot of it is going to be a case of hitting the deadline on something pretty mundane like a page layout.  The important thing is hitting the deadline, not creating a masterpiece.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6645
ok you guys have taken 'use it to get a job later' too seriously. I couldn't be doing a higher level of education, and I plan on (ab)using it later.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard