priznat
+0|6854
Hey all,

After a slight hiatus from BF2 I'm back and was happy to see the new map (Wake Island). However, after playing  it a few times (as both PLA and USMC) I've noticed that if there are one or two decent pilots on PLA it becomes all but an exercise in futility for the USMC. Anyone have any tips on how to break through the air blockade and actually set foot on the island without being blown up by an able jet pilot? I've tried heli and zodiac from the carrier (pretty much impossible) and sometimes can manage to get on the island from the tiny artillery island via the boats there (or swimming when my teammates invariably take off without waiting for anyone else to get in the boat).

I really miss the ability to actually move the ships like in bf1942.. Add to that how underpowered the AA is against jets and it gets pretty painful for the USMC side. Loved the map in bf1942, now I avoid it on the server browser for bf2.

Anyone else agree/disagree or have some good tips to  share when playing as USMC?
CreepingDeath
+1|6751
It's easy to get on the island . . . but as i have noticed not many KNOW HOW TO WORK AS A TEAM on BF2.
1 or 2 guys spawns in and makes a squad . . everyone waits for him dont enter the game right away.
They jump into a jet a helo . . flying to the airbase . " HIGH " then eject out of thier jets helo. Dont open chute right way wait for the very last minute . as you see him on the board land on the ground spawn on him, Jumping out of his squad as soon as you enter it. They should try and land  either by the enemys arty or just behind the airfield , since these places give a little cover and hardly anyone is down there.
   But again people have to work as a team.
Johnthegreg
+1|6731
I feel your pain.  I've been in the situation you describe and it sucks!  I've played some really fun wake games with great back and forth battles, but thats only if you can get a foothold.  If USMC dosn't have any good pilots... and PLA does... its a done deal, you'll be handed your ass in a bag.  I played a whole round once and never got onto the island.  (I'm not a pilot, so that limits me anyways)
Kanil
"Aff, Star Colonel!"
+37|6769|Internet!
I love Wake Island.

As USMC, take a *really* long route around the island, staying as far away from shore as possible in your RIB. Then land on either Beach or North Base.

Alternatively, do the same with a Blackhawk. I like to fly low as possible, a moderate distance away from the island, landing on either Beach or North Base, which is usually undefended. Works better if you have an engineer.

Most obviously: Get some good pilots to shoot down the enemy aircraft. This is the best method, but often the least used, because good pilots are hard to find. They also have to contend with the not-so-good pilots for the aircraft.

Spawn as an engineer. Both the Blackhawk and RIB can be repaired while they go, and if you hop in and wrench it, you'll find you live more often.

If you have some players that will listen, get four of you to spawn on the lower deck of the Essex. (More never hurts, they can engy/medic) Each one takes a boat. Convoy your arse over to Beach, if anyone survives, they create a squad once they touch the sand, and the other three join it and spawn on the survivor. They cap the beach, life's good.

A disorganized USMC team will be slaughtered by a disorganized PLA team, but a organized USMC team should beat a organized PLA team. Get organized, it's a shame for you to miss out on the fun that can be had on Wake.
Maj.Do
+85|6759|good old CA
wake is awesome .  also a great place for pilots
priznat
+0|6854
Good call on the RIBs going out the long way, I'm thinking taking one from the carrier and going north on the side away from the island would probably be the way to go.. Get a bit of cover from the jets so they don't spot you as easy, and they usually seem to come right out over the artillery island..

I'm not giving up on the map completely, just I was a tad annoyed by the complete slaughter I witnessed on a few servers.. Wish I could grab an F35B occasionally since I'm not bad of a pilot, get some dogfighting in.. I'm not one to sit and camp out for one though..
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6747
On wake i played on a small server that had Wake running. I joined and applied for commander (the round just stared). i took a t-90 from the right side PLA side. I usually fired a shot from my tank and suddenly go into Command mode with the island already set. I would watch the shell hit the island and would aim accordingly to hit people. Also gave a supply crate behind me so i did not run out of ammo. That is how i got the kill rate of 45. i was commander though so i did not get 90 points. I think EA should change that. (Watch i said change not fix)

EDIT I know this did not help those on USMC but it was fun anyway.

Last edited by SnobbyBoss (2005-12-05 17:04:00)

Knochenmann_AUT
+1|6733
Some inputs:

- the south sinde of the island is usale less defendet than the nord side.
- take a helo, go up to 400 (m?), no jet will ever find you up there
- good kids for the spearhead: medic (can heal himeslf) and commando (can take out tanks and UMV)
- if you landfall on the west edge of the isle, take the jeep and go NOT for the next flag, go for the flags after the briges.
- if you want to start from the smal isle and go with  boat, dont go straigt forward (east) , go in the oposide direktion (back to the west, than down south). This will help you against the MGs vom the nord cap of the isle.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6738|Uhh... erm...
I assume that by commando, you mean Spec Ops.
PinkSugarHeartAttack
Sailor Mini Moon
+0|6735
The PLA tactics are pretty clear after a few rounds and never seem to change. Jets do their raping, and snipers and transport/tanks pile of the tips to fire at the incoming USMC. Don't spawn on the arty island in the beginning of the map as you're asking for death. Get a boat and take it towards the map edge and head for the beach or the second northern point (I'm not good with CP names). Try not to fire on the heli's or jets and you can make it to the point pretty easy.

Most times you can cap one of those solo, if you can get a squad to assemble on you then it'll go fast. The key of course is to take the airfield, and most importantly to hold it. If you can hold the field you'll most likely win the map as you can force their jets down. Bonus points for taking their helicopter spawns and from there it will be cake. The big problem seems to be convincing your team to hold the airfield after you take it. The PLA will flock in force to retake that so you can rack up good points defending.

Watch out for soldiers approaching from the south near the IGLA in the airfield, and around the east side of the airfield. That little hill next to the runways are usually crawling with enemies. A thing to note on the airfield is there's a building right next to the pillbox above the arty, it has a patio type thing on the south-west side that a soldier can stand in to cap the airfield flag. Good to know for both PLA and USMC as you can often cap the flag unless you get a commander spot just standing or proning there.

I think I'm all out on that one. For someone who has a high Lone Wolf score I do recommend squads for taking fast caps. Just pray the server your on doesn't get mad at squad hopping and you can get a bunch of people into a base. After that, just kill everyone you can and blow some stuff up.
cablecopulate
+449|6745|Massachusetts.
I've used this tactic on both sides and it prevented both from capturing the airfield. First of all, you need to own the two north flags and the airfield, let the enemy have the two south flags. Now, between the airfield and the first southern flag there are two watch towers with machine guns. Get in one! You will rack up so many infantry kills it's not funny. I was doing it one time as special ops, dropped down a couple C4 packs between the towers and hid behind my wall when a tank came and blew it up. Now, being a good squad leader, being on a good squad, or having a good commander are key. One time I was squad leader and I had my team defend that area. In the other tower was a guy mounting the other gun and a sniper. You'll want a supply crate behind you so you can get health because eventually they will catch on and take shots at you.

Why people don't use the mounted machine guns on any map is beyond me. They're awesome.
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6777|Canada, Ont
USMC are Completely at a Disadvantage In This Map.

They need to land and Capture a Flag in the First 2 minutes or They Lose Unless they Capture All Flags.

The only Tactic I know of...Is to take a Boat from the Carrier FAR AROUND to the outside side and Land on the Beach, or North Base. If the Commander isn't Good, and most of the time they are not...You can make it.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6764
as a semi-decent pilot, its easy as PLA to smoke boats coming in. One reason that makes this very easy is the boat wake. I am not sure if i am the only one, but when you get up high in a jet the boat wake still shows up very clearly and for a much longer distance behind the boat than it realistically should. I can be in the air between the USMC island and the carrier and see the trail boat wake from a boat that is at least 1/3 between the USMC island and the PLA airbase.

I am not sure why this is so, but it makes it easy as hell to stafe and kill boats. It should honestly be toned down some. Without that it would be a little harder to get boats and make it a little more balanced.
prettybird
+10|6731
the "taking the boat all around tactic" works like a charm but it pisses me off when your on the usmc and your team always tries to go for the first flags closest to the ship. They are just asking to get killed by tanks, infantry, and heli waiting for them by the coast. I think the best thing to do is start frim the back; not necessarily from the airfield but one of the 3 flags in the farther back PLA area.
BurlySmurf
+1|6762|Nellis AFB
I always try and take a BH high and around the southern tip. The biggest diffirence between planes on Wake is that the J10 destroys the JSF hands down. The F35B can't touch a J10 with a decent pilot in it.

I made First Seargent and got my Aerial Service Ribbon last night flying the J10. I only had 2 deaths in the plane and they were both from chasing someone down and not realize I went so far out of bounds.
Gotham
+3|6739
You and a couple buddies halo onto the airfield flag then take it.

Map over if your team is smart enough to spawn there and not the carrier.
HellSibling
+0|6809
yah, i've found that wake really needs good teamwork on the US side if there are no decent pilots.

co-operate or lose.
Dr0pped
+8|6761|Ontario, Canada

Gotham wrote:

I had a SL who  flew the Blackhawk - there were 4 others in the squad...he went high, we spawned on him and 'chuted down to airfield over and over as we captured/held the airfield. Worked like a charm.
RKF77
+1|6758
Regardless of all the (good) tips in this thread, Wake is like Karkand...a good PLA side working as a team with a good commander cna easily keep the US off the island on Wake, just like a good MEC team can keep the USMC bottled up to the south on Karkand.

Luckily, that hardly ever happens...but I have played against a PLA team before that did it right.  Their commander spotted the Halo-cappers and their attack helo hosed them before they got near a flag (instead of base-raping like usually happens), their jets kept our attack helos and F-35s at bay, and their tanks camped by the water and hosed anything that moved.  They also utilized mobile AA (read:  Jeeps) against what helos did get past...and everyone knows how effective a jeep's .50 is against a Blackhawk.

After a while I realized it was useless...I built a fire in the well deck of the carrier, roasted some marshmallows, and sang kum-bay-fucking-ya until the map changed.
Gotham
+3|6739

Dr0pped wrote:

Gotham wrote:

I had a SL who  flew the Blackhawk - there were 4 others in the squad...he went high, we spawned on him and 'chuted down to airfield over and over as we captured/held the airfield. Worked like a charm.
When we first started doing that our SL would take a jet and head straight for the airfield then we would all spawn on him. The halo from a BH way up high is a much better tactic though.

It never fails once the chinese loose that airfield the map is a kill fest on the beach and its over.
ud bslapper
+0|6785
HI im a PLA Pilot and i love watching the boat try to go around the island from out wide OR the hawks going up high as trying to avoid my Missles . There is several ways to get on the Island  but im not gonna tell you, as you know most of the Pilots TK for jets you think they are going to play as a team
What about whn the PLA are down to NO flags you think some of the PIlots eject to get a flag  NO way man
hahahahahaha  Wake has to be the ONLY map that has serious TKngs somethng needs to be done
slidero
PLA is so horribly unbalanced that even one PLA pilot with any skill can completely win them the game.  Hell sometimes I let the USMC have a flag so I have something else to bomb besides arty island and the carrier. 

If there we not jets it might be an OK map but other than that it's just jet rape with me being the one to do it.
ud bslapper
+0|6785
Nice Kill streak dude whats tht from?
Noriveia
+0|6774
OR!! JUST HAVE THE FASTEST COMPUTER! I have a great system and always find myself loaded before everyone else. I always spawn on arty island as fast as posible and get to south base before any more then 1 (usually none) enemies spawn there!
slidero

ud bslapper wrote:

Nice Kill streak dude whats tht from?
Wake, as PLA.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard