CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
I know that there are other topics about this movie.  But they all praised it.  I disliked it... a lot.

Personally, I thought it was shit, and I want my $8.50 back.

*kinda spoilers, but not really*

If you want to watch nationalistic propaganda hidden within violence, sex and nipples, I certainly would recommend this movie to you.  If not, stay clear.

Did no one else catch the blatant nationalistic bullshit in this movie?  Call me crazy, but the whole damn movie screamed it.  They even said "freedom is not free" and something about how it must be paid for in blood.  ffs.

The only plot that I could find hidden in the aforementioned characteristics, was a bunch of "heros" defending their homeland and their "freedom" from a bunch of Arabian-looking Persians lacking morals and freedom.  White heros defending their homeland and their freedom from Arabian warlords, does that ring any bells?  I've never felt inclined to leave a movie theater before, but I nearly got up and left.  The only thing that kept me in my seat was trouble that would be caused by walking in front of the gawking morons next to me and the slight chance of seeing more nipples.

Feel free to disagree, but that is the last time I will ever pay to watch propaganda.  Hurray war films with a hidden agenda, your filth has cost me eight dollars, fifty cents, and roughly two hours of my life.
LOATHE YOU
Banned
+0|6252
LOL

You have seen the truth my friend ! Hollywood = Control

Totalitarian Hypnosis.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
but... THIS IS SPARTAAA!
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6515|montreal, quebec

8,50$ for 2h, your life doesnt worth much. After all, being an american and watching Persians kicking asses dont sound very fun to you, its like seeing  "terrorists" winning over an army, a much greater army like the US army. This is one of the few movie that the hero isnt from USA, isnt blue red and white, just like Spider-Man, or Superman. I have several reason to like the film, especially it was done at 95% in Montreal and it gave lots of work for many  good guys with  computer here. No wonder why w e are the next Silicone Valley of the East Cost.

Last edited by PvtStPoK (2007-03-18 01:02:09)

Crestfallen
+27|6449|England, Leicester

CommieChipmunk wrote:

The only plot that I could find hidden in the aforementioned characteristics, was a bunch of "heros" defending their homeland and their "freedom" from a bunch of Arabian-looking Persians lacking morals and freedom.  White heros defending their homeland and their freedom from Arabian warlords, does that ring any bells?  I've never felt inclined to leave a movie theater before, but I nearly got up and left.  The only thing that kept me in my seat was trouble that would be caused by walking in front of the gawking morons next to me and the slight chance of seeing more nipples.

Feel free to disagree, but that is the last time I will ever pay to watch propaganda.  Hurray war films with a hidden agenda, your filth has cost me eight dollars, fifty cents, and roughly two hours of my life.
I can see where you come from, but I'm not entirely sure I agree.  I'm not sure how true the film sticks to the original comic by Frank Miller, but then again it is trying to tell the story from the Spartan's perspectives.  As with any story told from one side's perspectives in conflicts, your enemy are seen to be evil, lacking morals and freedom.  I've not yet seen the film, but I keep this in mind when watching it.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6700|MoVal So-Cal
If you really want a mind fuck then think about Xerxes. He was actually a great king and Persia was a fantastic empire that let people keep their own beliefs and customs, they only had to pay taxes...this got them protection from the massive Persian army
vedds
+52|6755|Christchurch New Zealand
you need to get over yourself and your liberal conspiracy bullshit and just watch the movie as a movie.

Heres a hint, not every director  is michael moore and run some greater political subtext into their movies.
CommieChipmunk

vedds wrote:

you need to get over yourself and your liberal conspiracy bullshit and just watch the movie as a movie.

Heres a hint, not every director  is michael moore and run some greater political subtext into their movies.
Great idea, I'll never again look for deeper meaning in a movie.  In fact, I'll never again question anything thrown at me by any media outlet. 

Thank you vedds, you've enlightened me in a way I never thought possible.

Ignorance is most certainly bliss.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

Persians are from the Middle-East CC. The battle of Thermopolae, (spelling?) is a historical event, although I han't seen the movie, it suggests far more Hollywood grandure then history would dictate, (it's based on Frank Miller's comic rather than historical sources - fair enough.) That "Freedom isn't free, it must be paid for in blood" does sound very propaganda-ish, but I think that's a fairly loose link.

I think it's just Hollywood action/blood/boobies bullshit, and it performs it's function as this well. You looked for depth in a film that has none CommieChipmunk, misguided political messages are always found when doing that, (try it with the film 'Snakes on a Plane' and you'll get a similar result.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
LOATHE YOU
Banned
+0|6252

CommieChipmunk wrote:

vedds wrote:

Great idea, I'll never again look for deeper meaning in a movie.  In fact, I'll never again question anything thrown at me by any media outlet. 

LOL Your good people Commie. Lmao
vedds
+52|6755|Christchurch New Zealand
You will see whatever subtext you are looking for.

Its a great story from antiquity, adapted for drama, if there were no hero/villain it would make for a shit story. Exactly the same goes for the story told from the Persian perspective, we are going out to kick the shit out of a numerically insignificant force, thats an engrossing subject for a feature film.

But yes I am blissfully ignorant of the evil rightwing neonazi media who are trying to subvert everyone to think of the middle east  as the underdog west vs the evil hordes of a-rabs trying to hold out our oil from under their land.

You saw what you wanted to see mate.
You tell me how you could make that movie  so its entertaining without having some crackpot conspiracy theorist be able to clutch at straws and find/manufacture the evil brainwashing if they look hard enough?

But hey, at least the evil right-wing conspirators made $8.50 out of your paranoid ass to fund their next epic "foreign people who look different are bad" coming soon to a cinema near you..
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I know that there are other topics about this movie.  But they all praised it.  I disliked it... a lot.

If you want to watch nationalistic propaganda hidden within violence, sex and nipples, I certainly would recommend this movie to you.  If not, stay clear.

Did no one else catch the blatant nationalistic bullshit in this movie?  Call me crazy, but the whole damn movie screamed it.  They even said "freedom is not free" and something about how it must be paid for in blood.  ffs.

Go learn some Greek history kthnxbai.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6679|In You Endo- Stoke
As far as i am aware the only thing in 300 that was fact is a number of men went of to fight the persians and got slaugterd.

But i found it a great film to watch,shot really well and some great fight scenes.
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6515|montreal, quebec

CommieChipmunk wrote:

vedds wrote:

https://www.quebecstjean.net/dump/stupidity.jpg
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6557|Brisbane, Aus

CommieChipmunk wrote:

They were Arab looking Persians because Persians Were Arabs, Iran was Persia in anchent times. And it was (^as said above in posts) a dramatised comic style movie by frank miller.

Get a History Book and never go see a movie again, ever.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6763

Don't be pissed at the propaganda, be pissed at the people who get sucked into it.

Frankly, I love watching/seeing propaganda. Tons of cool quotes, tons of cool ways of presenting things. I love it.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6585|Seattle
and plus the whole thing is pretty gay.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6479|Sheffield-England
I CANT SEE IT!! wahhh!
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6740
Look just enter Cinema.

Turn off Brain.

Grin like a loon.
bennisboy
+829|6646|Poundland
300 - an objective view
I fail to see how this is objective
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
Hmmm, I'd better find the Daily Show segment with Iran accusing the US of creating a subtle propaganda with the movie, too.

Here we go:
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload … ideo=83823

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2007-03-18 10:31:15)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Wow. Stfu.
You make a big deal out of nothing. You act as if "Fighting for homeland" and "Freedom costing blood" werent around before the War in Iraq?? Wtf are you smoking. No matter what logic you imply, freedom is never free, and you should always fight for your homeland.
15 more years! 15 more years!
CommieChipmunk

Ty wrote:

Persians are from the Middle-East CC. The battle of Thermopolae, (spelling?) is a historical event, although I han't seen the movie, it suggests far more Hollywood grandure then history would dictate, (it's based on Frank Miller's comic rather than historical sources - fair enough.) That "Freedom isn't free, it must be paid for in blood" does sound very propaganda-ish, but I think that's a fairly loose link.

I think it's just Hollywood action/blood/boobies bullshit, and it performs it's function as this well. You looked for depth in a film that has none CommieChipmunk, misguided political messages are always found when doing that, (try it with the film 'Snakes on a Plane' and you'll get a similar result.)
lol probably
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
Not to mention that the graphic novel was written well before the war in Iraq.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard