lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

If it makes the oil market more stable, I'd say it is.

I know that's callous, but you choose your battles.  If human rights were the issue here, we never would have helped him into power in the first place.
I can't argue that. But I do believe if the US really wanted the oil from the ME we would have it already, since we have had plenty of chances to take it in the past 100 or so years.
I'll agree that Iraq was not fought for oil.  It was for the military industrial complex and dollar hegemony in the oil trade.

I just don't buy this resolution thing, because we didn't really show interest in removing Saddam in the late 90s until he started moving toward switching to the Euro for oil trading.
We also didn't show much interest in combating terrorism in the 90's. As a matter of fact, the administration didn't seem interested in much in those days except hiding the stain on Monica's dress.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Being more stable for Saddam to rape and murder, by the thousands, is not quite the stability you should be looking for.

I know that's callous, but you choose your battles.  If human rights were the issue here, we never would have helped him into power in the first place.
I can't argue that. But I do believe if the US really wanted the oil from the ME we would have it already, since we have had plenty of chances to take it in the past 100 or so years.
You hear this argument often lowing. People fail to understand the working of the oil industry. In that region OPEC dictates the production. American execs make money off the refining process. People see these wealthy Americans with private planes and think that is why the price of oil is up. That is all small beans compared to what happens when OPEC decides to turn the faucet off. The cost per barrel (Pre-refining) is what has the ultimate impact on our cost at the pump. The truth of the matter is we have actually went so far as to create an Executive order to protect the oil for the Iraqi's. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases … 22-15.html

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-21 09:52:06)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

I'll agree that Iraq was not fought for oil.  It was for the military industrial complex and dollar hegemony in the oil trade.

I just don't buy this resolution thing, because we didn't really show interest in removing Saddam in the late 90s until he started moving toward switching to the Euro for oil trading.
We also didn't show much interest in combating terrorism in the 90's. As a matter of fact, the administration didn't seem interested in much in those days except hiding the stain on Monica's dress.
Well, Clinton seemed to get along well with the Republicans on a number of economic issues.  They were both big fans of "free trade."
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You hear this argument often lowing. People fail to understand the working of the oil industry. In that region OPEC dictates the production. American execs make money off the refining process. People see these wealthy Americans with private planes and think that is why the price of oil is up. That is all small beans compared to what happens when OPEC decides to turn the faucet off. The cost per barrel (Pre-refining) is what has the ultimate impact on our cost at the pump. The truth of the matter is we have actually went so far as to create an Executive to protect the oil for the Iraqi's. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases … 22-15.html
Again, I'm not saying we entered Iraq for oil, although many commodities traders certainly enjoy it when war drives the price of oil up.

I'm suggesting Iraq has to do with how the dollar relates to the oil trade.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard