usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

My comp runs BF2 fine with all low settings, but I need to upgrade.  I was looking at the Dell XPS, the $4000 dollar one, and was just wondering if 2 video cards make a difference?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6756|The United Center
i think dual video cards run the same way dual processors do.  as in, each one will handle an application...not split the duty between the two.  so if youre going to get that computer, might as well get dual monitors too and just run two applications of BF2. 

seriously though i wouldnt bother with the dual video cards...just spend the extra money on more RAM or bigger/faster hard drives.

or...just wait a couple months.  nvidia is releasing a 512mb video card soon, if it hasnt already been released.  it doesnt look like its available through dell yet...but that thing is going to be a monster.
47th|Knuspar
+0|6844|Denmark
actually .. 2 video cards is only worth it, when playing at high resolutions with anti aliasing and antiscopic filtering enabled

and when i say high res, were talking 1280x1024+ at least
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

Thanks guys.  I have a dell XPS right now, but it is about 3 yrs old.  I have only bought a new video card and some more ram, but its time for a new machine.  Maybe alienware?
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6772

Check out this review site. AnandTech It tested out BF2 on many different video cards to see what performance you can expect from each. As you will probably notice, SLI cards rape when you get to the higher resolutions (like knuspar pointed out) by a decent amount of frames. On lower resolutions, SLI seems to trail behind the single card solution. This is because SLI works by having the driver split the workload between the two cards. Each card is in charge of drawing only half the frame, so technically this should speed up the drawing process by a lot. However in lower resolutions, the extra work the driver has to do limits the speed at which the frames can be drawn on screen, hence the single card is quicker.

So if you're getting a high res monitor and can afford it, SLI is a great way to increase your frames. The new 512 card coming out is gonna kick ass, but hey, why not get DUAL 512MB cards. Now that would kick ass. Just notice that BF2 is playable up to high resolutions on single card solutions...
Crypto_420
+25|6852|Portland
Thats a rip off!!!!!!! $4000.   DUDE,  build your own!!!!! Much more cheaper!!!!!!! and faster!!!!

If your want to build a badass machine for cheap, 754 Nforce 3 Mobo,  AMD 64 3700+ Clawhammer,  2GB Geil DDR3200, ATI X800XT 256GDDR3, 2x SATA 150 HDs that are 8mb cash 7200rpm,   all this for about $1000 w/ case.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

I would love to crypto, but I am computer illiterate.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6780|AUS, Canberra
the good thing about two vid cards is its then longer till you have to update!!!
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
Just get this.

Alienware isn't bad.  It's incredibly overpriced, but they do make good computers.  People always have terrible things to say about Dell, but I've had two Dells in my life and they've both run great (I'm on one now and the old one my mom has and still uses daily).  The only problem I've had with Dell is with the shipping...but that's an entirely different matter.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

I dont know if my comp could handle that video card.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

usmarine2005 wrote:

I dont know if my comp could handle that video card.
i just think its funny that the video card has half as much ram as my entire computer does...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

lol, I think my comp would shut down and walk out the front door if I attempted to use that card.
KillerAFET
+3|6789|Abilene, Texas

usmarine2005 wrote:

I would love to crypto, but I am computer illiterate.
I'd build it for you and you'd still save mega bucks over Dell's ripoff prices girene!!!
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6759|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
I'm debating between an SLI setup and a single-card setup...My monitor will only be able to handle 12x10 native, so the AnandTech article suggests that I only need a single 7800GTX (nice for the budget), but I'm planning on future-proofing it, so...hmmmmm

usmarine2005, I am specing my system, but not building/burning-in myself, and I've spec'd the single-card setup to a little over $3100, including dual 19" monitors. Oh, and that was with fairly expensive components because I can't use AMD stuff...lol...long story, but let's say my employer and my stock options wouldn't like me if I did.
savu
+0|6821
when i bought ny comp. i thought future too cos i dont wanna buy new after 1 or 2 years...so...i bought AMD Athlon 62 4600+ X2, viewsonic 17" 4ms monitor,MSI K8N SLI platinum,geforce 7800 GTX,2g ram,250 fast HD and logitech mouse and keyboard,but i have lousy SB live 24...going to buy X-FI fatality or Elite-pro... when win 64 and games start to support 2 prosessors dont need to buy new 1. good pack but quite expensive if ur looking for dual processor comp. theres no game that i cant run with full graphs. BF2 was whole new game when i change from 5900fx to 7800 GTX!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard