ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command
I came across these statistics earlier and almost fell on my back. I knew that the picture was not that rosy, but this is a lot worse than what I believed.

* 20% of American adults can't make informed decisions because they can't read.
    * 34 million U.S. adults ages 16-65 are functionally illiterate, including 1.5 million immigrants.
    * A staggering total of nearly 25 million Americans (1 in 5 adults) lack the reading and writing abilities needed to handle the demands of daily living.
    * An illiterate adult earns 42% less than a high school graduate.
    * 50%-70% of the unemployed are in need of functional literacy skills.
    * 85% of the juvenile offenders, 50% of the prison population, and 30% of welfare mothers are in need of functional literacy skills.
    * The United States ranks 49th in literacy rates among all United Nations countries.
    * Illiteracy costs the economy $225 billion annually in lost revenues, taxes, and decreased industrial productivity.
    * 27% of army enlistees can't read training manuals written at the 7th grade level.
    * Estimates show there are approximately two million people in Illinois who cannot read above a 5th grade level.
    * Only 10% of the nation's population uses the local library.
    * 5% of the population reads consistently.
    * 39% of the population never reads.
    * These two are unbelievable! Truly unbelievable!
          o The number-one magazine in sales and readership is the TV Guide.
          o The number-one newspaper in sales and readership is the National Enquirer.

The ones that really shocked me was that only 5% of the US population reads consistently and 39% never reads. 25 million Americans (1 in 5 adults) lack the reading and writing abilities needed to handle the demands of daily living.

I thought that at least 30% of the US population are regular readers of the WSJ and the FT.

How can this be? Who then is out there to do the work. Are these people allowed to vote and is so, how can make an informed decision?

This is terrible. How did we get here and what can be done to improve the situation?

*source
http://www.prophet-inc.com/literacy.html

Last edited by ATG (2007-03-04 00:20:10)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
Spend more on education than you currently are.

Surely you can afford to buy a few less missles, each of which cost a million dollars and will just be sitting in a supply depot collecting dust?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
ATG
Banned
I actually am Libertarian mostly.
I don't support our military doing anything but defending our country.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6634|Cherry Pie
Where did you get those stats?

Honestly, you can't trust any statistics because they are very easy to have bias.  For instance, the study that came up with stats could have only been done in LA in a Mexican neighborhood. 

The 27% of Army enlistee stat has to be bullshit.  There is no way.
ATG
Banned
* fixed
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria
I work as a reading tutor for 1st and 2nd graders at elementary schools that my University ships us out to. It breaks my heart to see these kids who need so much help, and there just aren't enough of us. They're so underprivileged.

I had one last year that was hit, I had one that was burned, and I had one that wasn't fed. I informed my site supervisor every time, and the school took no action. I informed my university employers and nothing happened. I couldn't get DCFS to listen to me. I feel powerless to help these children.

And yet through all this, people feel that we need to take away the Book It program because it contributes to child obesity.

To all those out there:

Who believe Book It is a bad program.
Who believes that Harry Potter is the devil's work.
Who believe that we should cut education funding for extra curricular activities.

I say this from the bottom of my heart: GO FUCK YOURSELF! Die in a fire.
JimmyBotswana
+82|6596|Montreal
ATG you should be shocked at these statistics, but it is not hard to believe if you look at other stats about the U.S, like it's prison population, which is higher than China's. Your country jails more people than China, look at where your priorities are as a nation. Of course "other" things like education are going to get neglected. Caring for the society is no longer important, jailing them is. Do you see where your country is headed? This is not that surprising.
soldevilla13
SuperFly
+21|6732|oregon
HAHA ATG, Mr. Jose Gomez simply adds to our illiterate issue; can't even make a proper signature.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6634|Cherry Pie
The source they have (the National Center for Education Statistics) is definitely credible.  That makes those numbers freaking nuts...  But everyone I know can read.  Strange.
dead_rac00n
+12|6493|DTC
This should have warned you :

"Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?"

The scary part is that it's from a president.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushism )

Last edited by dead_rac00n (2007-03-04 00:34:13)

ATG
Banned

JimmyBotswana wrote:

ATG you should be shocked at these statistics, but it is not hard to believe if you look at other stats about the U.S, like it's prison population, which is higher than China's. Your country jails more people than China, look at where your priorities are as a nation. Of course "other" things like education are going to get neglected. Caring for the society is no longer important, jailing them is. Do you see where your country is headed? This is not that surprising.
Huh.
I've long said we live in a culture of corruption. I've said be prepared, stockpile food, weapons and ammo. I've giving multiple links demonstrating the your government will not be there to protect you.

America is giving away itself, I know that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Mass media can be partly to blame in popularizing illiteracy by ragging on the educated.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6634|Cherry Pie

JimmyBotswana wrote:

The key difference with your jail statement is China is filled with Chinese people only and other races are very very small parts of the population.  America is full of all kinds of people, most of the people in jails are minorities.  Education in the US is just fine, I am getting a great education.  Unfortunately in the inner cities schools leave something to be desired, but that leads us back to the minorities.  Its a vicious cycle.   We can't help them because they won't help themselves and they can't help themselves because we can't help them.  Its sad actually...

If your talking statistics on education, then you should see what percentage of the Chinese population has an education.  The Chinese government also limits what information can come into the country, so really the Chinese could be getting a partial education.  I saw a thing on 20/20 about Chinese students from the prestigious Beijin University that saw the picture of the man in front of the tank at Tiananmen Square and they didn't even know what it was.  They thought it was a picture from a war or something.  So if the government is limiting their education that much, how could they be getting a quality education?  They can't even use the full version of Google...

And as a side-note, in Japan most of the people commiting crimes are Chinese.  Everytime I watched TV in Japan and there was a burglary it was a Chinese person.  Which makes me think that it could be a cultural thing.  There is a reason Japan is one of the safest places in the world.  Tokyo is a huge city, yet is VERY VERY safe.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6512|Houston, TX
I'm calling bullshit on most of those statistics.
Reciprocity
+721|6591|the dank(super) side of Oregon
too bad they didn't stats on professional athletes.
riseingstar
+1|6287|bonnie Scotland.
ur time would be better spent on the field soldier,leave the bullshit to flow freely from the mouths of those politicians.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ
All I can say is OMG!... I never would've thought the numbers would be so high in the US... But I guess it would explain somewhat this other statistic I found in a local paper a while ago, saying that 40 million Americans cannot afford to pay for basic medical insurance. ATG is justified to raise this kind of questions:

ATG wrote:

Are these people allowed to vote and is so, how can make an informed decision?
If there's one thing democracy needs in order to function properly is a good level of education among the people...
ƒ³
CommieChipmunk
+488|6580|Portland, OR, USA
how did we get here?

TV and beer.
psH
Banned
+217|6394|Sydney
australia 4 TEH w0rldz!
التعريفات
Squiggles
+102|6378|Cali

dead_rac00n wrote:

This should have warned you :

"Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?"

The scary part is that it's from a president.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushism )
lol!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

I'm calling bullshit on most of those statistics.
I'm calling bullshit on your post until you can backup that statement.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

34 million illiterate adults and I have never met one. That number would put it around 1 and 7. I find that tough to believe.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-04 11:47:27)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6663
an illiterate adult would most likely attempt to hide his illiteracy, wouldn't he/she? When you meet someone you're not going to find out if they can read Lord of the Rings or not unless if you really get to know them - thus you wont be able to tell. Or not, Kmarion?

As for solving this problem, change the views and culture of youth and it will solve itself
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

SargeV1.4 wrote:

an illiterate adult would most likely attempt to hide his illiteracy, wouldn't he/she? When you meet someone you're not going to find out if they can read Lord of the Rings or not unless if you really get to know them - thus you wont be able to tell. Or not, Kmarion?

As for solving this problem, change the views and culture of youth and it will solve itself
In my previous job I was required to train new employee's. I worked there 13 years and probably trained over 500 people. The job was loading trucks so not exactly a high tech position. Each trainee was required to fill out packets that had a large amount of reading involved (in my presence). Sure there were stupid mistakes from time to time but not functional illiteracy. Surely with the odds these stats are saying I would have come across a few.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-04 11:56:12)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6663

Kmarion wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

In my previous job I was required to train new employee's. I worked there 13 years and probably trained over 500 people. The job was loading trucks so not exactly a high tech position. Each trainee was required to fill out packets that had a large amount of reading involved (in my presence). Sure there were stupid mistakes from time to time but not functional illiteracy. Surely with the odds these stats are saying I would have come across a few.
indeed. Maybe 'functional illiteracy' is grossly overstated in those statistics and should be 'only basic literacy' in that case
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard