Yes, he was plagiarist11%11% - 6
There's no proof18%18% - 10
Who cares?28%28% - 15
Who?1%1% - 1
Total: 53
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Watching a documentary about Shakespeare, they came up with this theory.  There is a theory about Shakespeare not being the author of all the famous plays signed by him.  There are many doubters out there because of the simple lack of evidence and original documents that can prove that Shakespeare could even complete a sentence, all we have are his signature on a couple of surviving legal documents.
Was the work of William Shakespeare the biggest and most successful fraud ever practiced in the history of the world?
Was Shakespeare a real genius or a plagiarist who patched plays together from other writers' works?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6386|The Gem Saloon
i would have to say there is no proof. though you can never rule out anything, but that would definitely be a surprise too me.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
Eh, there's theories that Shakespeare wasn't one person, but a group of people writing under the same pseudonym.  Apparently all the writers whose works he "plagiarized" are some of the same writers who may have used the name William Shakespeare later on.
I think you are mistaken. The biggest fraud in the history of the world is Religion.

Shakespeare was a genius, and you can't assume he is a fraud just because of one documentary. Many celebrities and well known people have conspiracy theories/movies plotted against them, but that doesn't mean that the theories/movies are true.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

TheCanadianTerrorist wrote:

I think you are mistaken. The biggest fraud in the history of the world is Religion.

Shakespeare was a genius, and you can't assume he is a fraud just because of one documentary. Many celebrities and well known people have conspiracy theories/movies plotted against them, but that doesn't mean that the theories/movies are true.
I didn't say he was a fraud, I just asked, big difference.  I was doing some research on this and you'll find that theory has many supporters.  Do you have a proof of him writting all those plays?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6359|Columbus, Ohio
Could be.  Einstein worked in the patent office.......hmmmmm.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-03-01 13:29:18)

Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6598|Parainen, Finland
All the work I have seen done by him seems identical (same writing style), but in that case everything would have been stolen. Back in those days many could not have achieved what he did. It might be that he did it together with some one and stole all the credits( I would never say so..)!
But he was a Genius that is for sure!!!

Sucks that my father is not alive anymore, he could have given a better story than I cause he was much into Shakespeare and knew a lot about him.

Last edited by Ubersturmbannfuhrer (2007-03-01 13:16:55)

confused
+10|6386|British Columbia

usmarine2007 wrote:

Could be.  Einstein worked in the patton office.......hmmmmm.
Did you mean   patent office?

The theory of Shakespeare's work being done by many people or stolen from people is decades old.  It has yet to become popular.  That suggests insufficient evidence exists to support it.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Ubersturmbannfuhrer wrote:

Do you have proof of this?  If he did write all those sonets and plays he was a genius.  But did he write 'em?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6359|Columbus, Ohio

confused wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Sure did.  Watched Patton the other night.

/I fail.
confused
+10|6386|British Columbia

usmarine2007 wrote:

confused wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

/I fail.
I wasn't sure if you meant Einstein worked with Patton or in the patent office.

I've not seen Patton.  Is it good?
Commie Killer
+192|6379

confused wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

confused wrote:

/I fail.
I wasn't sure if you meant Einstein worked with Patton or in the patent office.

Yes.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6359|Columbus, Ohio

confused wrote:

Aye
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6701|England. Stoke

sergeriver wrote:

Do you have proof of this?  If he did write all those sonets and plays he was a genius.  But did he write 'em?
We have little proof of anything from that period of history, omg then it all must be faked...
This theory is another load of bullshit that people think of to make documentaries so that poor uneducated fools will watch it and believe them even though they themselves often offer no proof of their own theories. Just saying that there is no proof either way. Try looking at some proper historical research instead of watching some shitty documentary on tv.
This theory has been round for years and will probably continue to be circulated by the dullards, frankly it is a load of shite...

END RANT

Edit: I cant believe some moron voted no, I really hope that is a joke. Otherwise someone is even more stupid than I hoped a person with access to the internet would be.

Last edited by coke (2007-03-01 13:52:51)

apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6522|The lunar module

sergeriver wrote:

Was Shakespeare a real genius or a plagiarist who patched plays together from other writers' works?
The plays are among the treasures of mankind, doesn't really matter who wrote them.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

coke wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

We have little proof of anything from that period of history, omg then it all must be faked...
This theory is another load of bullshit that people think of to make documentaries so that poor uneducated fools will watch it and believe them even though they themselves often offer no proof of their own theories. Just saying that there is no proof either way. Try looking at some proper historical research instead of watching some shitty documentary on tv.
This theory has been round for years and will probably continue to be circulated by the dullards, frankly it is a load of shite...

END RANT
Oh, the evidence you brought to us is amazing.  Now there's no doubt about it.  Sorry for questioning Shakespeare. 
The documentary I watched was produced by the BBC.  It was about him, not against him.  They mentioned the controversy about the authorship.  There are many scholars that support this theory.  Don't feel offended.  If he stole the plays, he stole 'em from an English guy.  So, don't make personal attacks coz you don't agree with someone else.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

apollo_fi wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The plays are among the treasures of mankind, doesn't really matter who wrote them.
It is a matter of giving honor where honor is due.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6701|England. Stoke

sergeriver wrote:

coke wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

END RANT
Oh, the evidence you brought to us is amazing.  Now there's no doubt about it.  Sorry for questioning Shakespeare. 
The documentary I watched was produced by the BBC.  It was about him, not against him.  They mentioned the controversy about the authorship.  There are many scholars that support this theory.  Don't feel offended.  If he stole the plays, he stole 'em from an English guy.  So, don't make personal attacks coz you don't agree with someone else.
And what exactly was the evidence presented by the documentary?
There is plenty of evidence that he did write his works, why on earth would people allow someone else to take the credit and wealth that he received...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

coke wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

coke wrote:

END RANT
And what exactly was the evidence presented by the documentary?
There is plenty of evidence that he did write his works, why on earth would people allow someone else to take the credit and wealth that he received...
That is the problem.  There is no enough evidence to proof he wrote those plays.  Can you present any evidence since you claim there is plenty?  There should be masses of contemporary documents about the life of the world's greatest writer. His manuscripts, his letters, the letters sent to him, the letters about him between others, and printed stories and pamphlets about him. But there are none of these things.

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-03-01 14:07:02)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6701|England. Stoke
Lol
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6522|The lunar module

sergeriver wrote:

apollo_fi wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

It is a matter of giving honor where honor is due.
If Shakespeare was a plagiarist, he should be honoured as the foremost genius of copy/paste. A man able to transform obscure source material into a body of work that has stood the test of time
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6701|England. Stoke
I just find it hilarious as a Google search will reveal several sites with documents, on Shakespeare. Furthermore if you think seeing is believing I have actually seen some of these documents first hand in the archives at the British museum, and the museum at his home in Stratford...

Last edited by coke (2007-03-01 14:18:21)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

coke wrote:

I just find it hilarious as a Google search will reveal several sites with documents, on Shakespeare. Furthermore if you think seeing is believing I have actually seen some of these documents first hand in the archives at the British museum, and the museum at his home in Stratford...
Google this "Shakespeare authorship".
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6701|England. Stoke

sergeriver wrote:

coke wrote:

Google this "Shakespeare authorship".
Yeah doesn't this sort of prove my point...
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6511|Adelaide, South Australia

apollo_fi wrote:

If Shakespeare was a plagiarist, he should be honoured as the foremost genius of copy/paste. A man able to transform obscure source material into a body of work that has stood the test of time

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard