Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6756|Dallas

So what are your thoughts on the facts, statements and predictions made in this video?  Being a member of the IT community I can totally see this stuff coming to pass.  When you consider 20 years ago a 40MB hardrive was considered gigantic, wasteful and pointless and today we have portable music players that can hold more than 200 times that amount of information.  Think about how powerful you think your decked out gaming machine is today and then think about what kind of decked out gaming machine your going to have in 20 years.

I also agree with the video, that this technical revolution can either be a bad thing or a good thing.  It really all depends on what kind of people are going to control the development and use of new and upcoming techs, be it the military using the technology to end lives or scientists using it to save lives.  I just hope its the latter.

Discuss.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
yeah need to hype that Internet connection
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6756|Dallas

blademaster wrote:

yeah need to hype that Internet connection
Yeah, 10 trillion bytes per second (close to a terabyte per second) would be pretty awesome.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6649|California
I have no idea where this is going.....

What do I do now?

Boring and useless information...

ppffftt....
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
yeah I agree but while we were still using 56k modems, Canadians were already implementing high speed internet into their homes.

Also we do have high speed internet but just not intended for public which sucks ass.

Its called Internet 2 I think did a paper on it and its for IPv4.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6470|Communist Republic of CA, USA
That was cool, and very scary.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
Good find.

Honestly, the last part is kind of freaky, but I can't really explain why.

As for the population thing, it's scary to realize how quickly countries are growing.  It did a good job of putting things into perspective, comparing China's honor roll students to all of our students...but again, kind of freaky.
Ratzinger
+43|6384|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
In Australia we still are just putting in ADSL 2, while in Japan they have fibre optics from one end of the country to the other, with 1GB/sec access.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

*low whistle*
The question I want answered is since technology is increasing so fast, what is the point of aquiring anything? It's just going to be outdated in a matter of days.
Deeply concerning I guess... maybe it was just the music that brought on that feeling, I don't know. Still, it's given me a lot to think about.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Ambitious predictions.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6563|USA

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

That was cool, and very scary.
agreed. i shudder to think what could happen when computers outdo man.

@ Ty. agreed. you took the words right out of my mouth (for the music)
BVC
+325|6687
Part of me was expecting that to end with a Bel Air...

I reckon the next great advance in computing will come when they start putting large programmable neural-style networks onto chips, and sticking them in off-the-shelf PCs.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

And yet we still can't get proper drivers for DX10 .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Made me think of the Matrix movies and their backstory... And the Terminator movies...

We are going to get our arses handed to us by robots that we build...

EDIT

By the way, would be much obliged if somebody could provide the name of that piece of music that was playing...

Last edited by Flecco (2007-02-27 04:08:39)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Flecco wrote:

Made me think of the Matrix movies and their backstory... And the Terminator movies...

EDIT

By the way, would be much obliged if somebody could provide the name of that piece of music that was playing...
Last of the Mohicans
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Brasso
+1,549|6622

Misread "Richard Riley" as "Raven Riley".  That's all I can say.

But seriously, I can't believe that a computer can out think the human brain.  Anyone else really believe that?

Last edited by haffeysucks (2007-02-27 04:39:58)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
weasel_thingo
+74|6318
hmm i found the computer part cool and amazing but the china thing... wow what are the odds the country that has the highest population produces more babies than some others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9oNFBal … mp;search=

Last edited by weasel_thingo (2007-02-27 04:56:00)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I just want the music for my Supreme Commander sessions.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-27 04:57:29)

Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6756|Dallas

haffeysucks wrote:

Misread "Richard Riley" as "Raven Riley".  That's all I can say.

But seriously, I can't believe that a computer can out think the human brain.  Anyone else really believe that?
It didn't say that "they can", it said that "they will".
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460
It was funny that is said that by 2049 a computer for 1000 USD will exceed the mental capacity of the earth's population, when if you factor in inflation the computer will cost a hell of a lot more.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6756|Dallas

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

It was funny that is said that by 2049 a computer for 1000 USD will exceed the mental capacity of the earth's population, when if you factor in inflation the computer will cost a hell of a lot more.
So will candy bars and cappuccino's.  What's your point?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460

Cougar wrote:

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

So will candy bars and cappuccino's.  What's your point?
That 1000 USD won't be as much as it is today so it is highly unlikely that the computer described will be worth $1000 when it is release (implying that it is released of course).
PureFodder
+225|6277
I was under the impression that this was based on the old computer doubling in processor speed every 18 months pattern. While this has been working well so far, I heard it's hitting a bit of a road block now. 3-5 semiconductor technology has pretty much hit the limit to which you can feasably shrink transister sizes due to inherent material properties. Now they've started using multiple chips etc. to continue the desired increase in speed, but the likely replacement technologies are a ways off becoming feasable commercial technology and their potential is hard to determine. Things like quantum computers are years, probably decades away from being in your household pc.

I think the predictions are way off.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

Flecco wrote:

Exactly.

haffeysucks wrote:

When A computer can have emotions, create art, greate a great piece of music, that's when I can say the human race is replaced.

Still,  "Statistics" (i know) say that the world is 3-6 times overpopulated and cannot sustain the human race much longer.  the only way for the human race to survive is for it to be drastically reduced by a catystrophic event.    plague? Nuclear war? Global economic collapse?  Maybe Im pessimistic, but I have a bad feeling something horrible is on the horizon.....
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
One illogical thing about the video: no matter how many minds you throw at the task, logically speaking, no computer will ever be able to exceed the capabilities of its creator, humankind.

I'd be more worried about the population growth stuff. BTW it kind of skips over the fact that many millions of Chinese harldy get an education at all, so I wouldn't shit your pants just yet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard