Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838

dshak wrote:

anyone else kind of upset that they didn't add the IDF? I mean common, in my most humble of opinions there are really three special forces units in the world that are an absolute MUST for a game called SPECIAL FORCES, the SEALS, the Spetz (though not sure if they are still really as strong as they once were), and the Israeli Defense Force special commandos. I mean seriously, the IDF special forces might even be the the best in the world at this point.

I could see MAYBE they would have left them out for political purposes, though I hardly see how having IDF vs MEC would be any less controversial than US vs MEC (not that I think EITHER is controversial in a VIDEO GAME, but I digress)

They also would have brought a whole host of new and interesting weapons into the game, but maybe thats why they didn't do it, too much work?
The only thing that sets IDF apart is that they have to answer to no one.

Unlike our Armed Forces who have the Scrutiny of hillary bill Kerry and tedy kennedy.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6795|Canberra, Australia
a couple of things...
1) I just wish the Australian SAS was in SF.
2) 8 New Maps for A$40 Yay and New weapons and Zip Lines and Grapple Hooks!!!!
3)
https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/sir_phil/argument.jpg
jhoo8116
+0|6727|Seattle

Horseman 77 wrote:

Unlike our Armed Forces who have the Scrutiny of hillary bill Kerry and tedy kennedy.
Ehhhh... it's a question of values. Perhaps you would think differently if you get a couple of suicide bombings a month. Perhaps. It's like how they thought that the Japanese were excessively cruel during WWII, but in actuality, they do the same 'inhumane' things to their own people when they fought their feudal wars; for example... cleaning the city of men, beheading, etc.

Another example: US evangelical missions to Africa to fight the spread of AIDS decry the use of condoms and try to teach abstainence, citing the use of condoms as sinful. *sigh* in religious fervour, have some of us lost sight of the bigger picture? The culture is different... a man has many wives, and in some places in Africa, a widow has to be f*cked by her deceased husband's relatives to free her husband's soul... etc. Yet, against the advice of the UN delegation, the evangelicals held their ground with the huge funds that they bring.

It's the clash of cultures. What each of us holds as 'universal' values might not be, even till this day and age.
[MAA]MI2
+3|6774
I dont even think there should be the question of what is the "Best special forces". Each Spec Ops division (US Army or otherwise) is there to specialize in a certain role. For example, Marine Force Recon are meant mostly as a forward line recon unit, while, say, the Air Force's Parajumpers are meant primarily as Search and Rescue. They are both special forces, but comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Every country's SF has their own specialty, and we should leave it at that.
Just my two cents.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838

jhoo8116 wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Ehhhh... it's a question of values. Perhaps you would think differently if you get a couple of suicide bombings a month.

Perhaps. It's like how they thought that the Japanese were excessively cruel during WWII, but in actuality, they do the same 'inhumane' things to their own people when they fought their feudal wars; for example... cleaning the city of men, beheading, etc.

Another example: US evangelical missions to Africa to fight the spread of AIDS decry the use of condoms and try to teach abstainence, citing the use of condoms as sinful. *sigh* in religious fervour, have some of us lost sight of the bigger picture? The culture is different... a man has many wives, and in some places in Africa, a widow has to be f*cked by her deceased husband's relatives to free her husband's soul... etc. Yet, against the advice of the UN delegation, the evangelicals held their ground with the huge funds that they bring.

It's the clash of cultures. What each of us holds as 'universal' values might not be, even till this day and age.
1  Where you in a coma? we had suicide bombings here. Did you miss it ?
in fact we are fighting them over Israel so we do " Feel There Pain ".

2 Read up a little bit about the Japanese in china or ask a chinese person than get back to me.

3 Simple dont take there money. send some better,  Smarter, foward thinking people and take there   money, Unless  (Evil ) Evangelical Christians were the only ones who gave a fuck enough about them to show up in a time of need in the first place.

the all wise U.N. new the right moves again, allas they were ignored. when will we be smart enough to let them run things in Africa.
Flasheart88
+0|6761|Brisbane

jhoo8116 wrote:

It's like how they thought that the Japanese were excessively cruel during WWII, but in actuality, they do the same 'inhumane' things to their own people when they fought their feudal wars; for example... cleaning the city of men, beheading, etc.
He's on crack. That's the only explanation. Crack. As someone who *had* relatives in Nanjing, you can seriously kiss my ass.

But anyway, I'd like to echo the sparse cries for recognition of the Aussie SAS. Sure, sure, Australia, in some respects, is America's bitch, although that's almost entirely the fault of our leader. But the Aussie SAS are no one's bitches! They are extremely well respected in the special forces community, so much so that they are regarded as the best desert reconnaisance unit in the world. Which, I'll admit is probably why they're not in the game - they don't have the numbers to be as forwardly offensive as those of other nations, but just ask all the US troops in Afghanistan whose lives were saved by Aussie SAS who's the best.

And for the record, a few years ago when the US conducted wargames in northern Australia, the ADF (Aussie Defence Force) and the Aussie SAS made the US marines and SF look very, very stupid. Home ground advantage, sure, but nevertheless, all the cool equipment in the world isn't going to help you after the defending force blows up/booby traps all your supply drops.

After stealing your sexy equipment.
AFlyingNun
+0|6721

pfcilng wrote:

Well, my dad can beat up your dad........

Will turn into one of these pretty quick
Seriously, not to mention half of the people in here are just gonna call their countries' army the best.
Flasheart88
+0|6761|Brisbane

AFlyingNun wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

Well, my dad can beat up your dad........

Will turn into one of these pretty quick
Seriously, not to mention half of the people in here are just gonna call their countries' army the best.
Sure, but only one group can be right. The rest are all just deluded.

Particularly the Americans
jhoo8116
+0|6727|Seattle

Horseman 77 wrote:

1  Where you in a coma? we had suicide bombings here. Did you miss it ?
in fact we are fighting them over Israel so we do " Feel There Pain ".

2 Read up a little bit about the Japanese in china or ask a chinese person than get back to me.

3 Simple dont take there money. send some better,  Smarter, foward thinking people and take there   money, Unless  (Evil ) Evangelical Christians were the only ones who gave a fuck enough about them to show up in a time of need in the first place.

the all wise U.N. new the right moves again, allas they were ignored. when will we be smart enough to let them run things in Africa.
I cite another example: torture. Are Americans for torture? Can we tell the Iraqi government to not torture, now that we are somewhat responsible for how they are behaving? No. It's a cultural thing... of the region; they are not gonna heed pleads for more humane treatment... not yet, at the least.

You said that unlike our armed-forces, the Israelis aint scrutinized by their politicians. Correct. If American values were pro-blatant-assassination, those politians won't have to pretend that they really cared if American spec-ops were doing the same. Having been subjected to constant suicide bombings which disrupted lives, embittered Israelis develop the taste for an-eye-for-an-eye justice. Is that a social-concensus? A value? My point is, values are circumstantial.

Flasheart88 wrote:

He's on crack. That's the only explanation. Crack. As someone who *had* relatives in Nanjing, you can seriously kiss my ass.
Watch what you are flaming at. I am ethnically Chinese. Came to the US a while ago, and have relatives in China. My Grandfathers were forced to flee southward to South East Asia due to the Japanese occupation of China. The Japanese moved south shortly thereafter... My maternal grandpa is still bitter about it.

Through it all, did I state my opinion on Japanese "endeavours" in China? Nope. I just presented an alternative perspective to the issue; presented how some, Japanese and Western scholars alike, justified Japanese wartime behaviour. How did I come across as having taken a position as agreeable to their behaviour in WWII?

Precisely the point isn't it? We don't really allow for the existence for alternative perspectives/world views. The idea above is probably so offensive that it triggered auto-flaming response. I must admit that I got pissed when I first read about how the evangelicals were trying to help the AIDS ridden African countries. But on afterthought, I am reminded that without them, there wouldn't be the free cocktail shots and other medical facilities to the most innocent victims: those born with AIDS.
plastic_budgie
+114|6752|England : East Yorkshire
Sas Alll The Way
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6766|Toronto Canada
Nigerian Special Forces are HARD FUCKING CORE BITCHES!!!
{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6746|The Island of Carls Jr.
WTF?! US special forces are still a lil better than everyone elses
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6794

thinner44 wrote:

"Live with it" . What a really odd thing to say after your statement above. I think if I was an American I would be slightly offended by your remark that "they funded the IRA (and other Irish terrorist groups)" . A very very small minority did indeed support the IRA.... but not every American. Please substantiate your claims if you're going to post inflammatory remarks. As for 'blue on blue', that's been happening since conflicts began, from all sides.
Okay, what I said was a little mixed up.  I am not anti-American.  I know not every American supported the IRA but without the funding from NORAID, [ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1563119.stm ] their attacks would have been fewer and less people would have died.  Having been close to two IRA bombs, having seen the carnage in Warrington and Enniskillen, I am somewhat anti anyone who supported them.   I was looking forward to George Bush invading Ireland and taking out the terrorist organisations on both sides of the border (and religious divide) in his War on Terrorism.

As for "blue on blue", accidents do happen.  Look at my stats on BF2 and you'll see I'm not perfect and I don't expect any army to have a blemish-free record.  However, the US military's record in Iraq speaks for itself.

However, back to the topic that was posted.  I don't think any real armies should have been included.  The omissions and the inclusions are bound to cause arguments - how many nations have been on the receiving end of the Spetsnaz' bullets?  Who is to say whether the IDF would have been any more or less controversial?  Even the SAS have had moments they'd rather have avoided - anyone remember the killings in Gibraltar?
FeloniousMonk
+0|6736

shspunkrockr wrote:

just so everyone knows, most of the SEAL's training is provided by the Army
Can you elaborate on that?

batman_psu wrote:

Marine Corps Force Recon:  don't know much about these guys except that I went to Airborne School with a few of them.  Pretty squared away dudes.  I don't know their whole mission statement and operational capabilities, but they seem on par with the abilities of the 75th and the Air Force Pararescuemen/Combat Controllers.  And they can operate in water and are much lighter and smaller units.  Thats all I know.
For a while the Marines never had a special forces unit because it went against the ideology of the Corps that being a Marine is elite enough. The problem was the without a dedicated spec ops unit the USMC was left out of all the really cool missions that fell under SOCOM's blanket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marin … nnaissance

Pretty much accurate, I don't see anything amiss there. One quick note: the MEU(SOC) .45 made by the RTE shop at Qauntico is by far one of the most reliable firearms ever built.
supa_fly52
Save a Mouse, Eat a Pussy
+8|6757|Gold Coast, Australia
What about th Gign????
Drunkaholic
+4|6726

jamiecracker wrote:

hahahaha SAS was the first and will always be the best,they rely on skill and endurance not technology like the americans(not saying that they aint good)
the Army Rangers & the Marines were the first.... and SAS came into being in the 1960's during the Malaysia conflict...
Oh yeah, and one more thing; the Rangers were disbanded after Korea and brought back into service during Vietnam

yeah, the GIGN and GSG-9 should definitely have been in there

Last edited by Drunkaholic (2005-12-04 21:22:52)

chitlin
Banned
+36|6764
and SAS came into being in the 1960's during the Malaysia conflict...
sas was founded by david sterling in 1941 as a desert raiding force in north africa

dont say the aussies make the seals look stupid thats garbage ><
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

The fact that many allied countries juggle super duper elite garbanzo special forces training back and forth between eachother makes most of this thread's comments moot ones.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2005-12-05 03:45:16)

dshak
+4|6814
okay.... I wanted to see Israeli SF in the game because they use some interesting weapons and wear cool hats... geesh. we can let this die now!
Barrakuda777
+86|6738|Somewhere near a shrub or rock

dshak wrote:

Oh, and aardfirth - yeah it really sucks about friendly fire, but its happens, and I wonder how many british lives were saved because of the efficiency of the US military in those conflicts?? I wouldn't go getting all riled up and anti american if I were you, I still seem to recall some kind of "world war" in which the US basically saved your ass. I loved it in the other thread on here where people were saying the British and Russians would have won the war without the US, how was that going for you anyway?

bah, there I've gone and started pissing myself.
GOOD LORD is all i can say about this......... GOD BLESS AMERICA for saving us little brits 'back in dubbelyA , dubbelyA 2' (WW2 - another Austin Powers Ref). 

Must bite my tongue from adding more..... Self righteous, self involved CRAP!

World War - WORLD WAR .......

The big green didnt join in the fun from the beginning but somehow won it singlehandedly....

(im gonna leave it like this before i die of irritation!)
SWAMRaoulDuke
+0|6793

dshak wrote:

anyone else kind of upset that they didn't add the IDF? I mean common, in my most humble of opinions there are really three special forces units in the world that are an absolute MUST for a game called SPECIAL FORCES, the SEALS, the Spetz (though not sure if they are still really as strong as they once were), and the Israeli Defense Force special commandos. I mean seriously, the IDF special forces might even be the the best in the world at this point.

I could see MAYBE they would have left them out for political purposes, though I hardly see how having IDF vs MEC would be any less controversial than US vs MEC (not that I think EITHER is controversial in a VIDEO GAME, but I digress)

They also would have brought a whole host of new and interesting weapons into the game, but maybe thats why they didn't do it, too much work?
My point...... there are no beter.......
thinner44
+1|6811

aardfrith wrote:

However, back to the topic that was posted.  I don't think any real armies should have been included.  The omissions and the inclusions are bound to cause arguments - how many nations have been on the receiving end of the Spetsnaz' bullets?  Who is to say whether the IDF would have been any more or less controversial?  Even the SAS have had moments they'd rather have avoided - anyone remember the killings in Gibraltar?
I'm not sure there would have been mass appeal if the armies were not...erm... real. Can you imagine running around in a pink jumpsuit weilding a feather. It's all about mass appeal . I agree witrh your thoughts on this, but then some in the gaming community wouldn't have a clue as to who is who (SF I mean), so it wouldn't matter about the Gibraltar shootings (I remember)... it's just about playability and the concept of using a real army.

Thanks for your earlier comment btw, I agree with you but we just have to remember not to tar everyone with the same brush. NI was just too real for my family
KillerAFET
+3|6782|Abilene, Texas

Tyferra wrote:

The IDF are brilliant though. This is what the did to one guy who they needed to assassinate, (I'll call him Mr. X because I can't remember his name.:
They scrambled his cellphone, so he couldn't recieve or send anything. Of course Mr. X, (who dosn't know what's happening,) takes his phone to a repair place. While it is there, the IDF plants a small explosive in it. When the guy gets it back, Mr. X finds it works perfectly. One of the first calls he gets goes something like this:
"Hello?"
"Hello, is this Mr. X?"
"Yes, who's this?"
The conversation ended about then as the IDF triggered the explosive and took off Mr. X's head.

That's just a cool way to assassinate someone, but the IDF are one of the best Special Forces in the world and should have been included in BF:SF.
That would not be the IDF but the Mossad performing an operation like that, in 1996, Mossad assassinated the "Engineer," a notorious Hamas bomb designer, by wiring his cell phone with explosives.

Special forces are light, quick strike and fast egress units.  Do not get the two confused.
KillerAFET
+3|6782|Abilene, Texas

RDMC wrote:

shaunboulton wrote:

No way is the IDF the best in the world, its the SAS, how many times do i have to say it. SAS is the best in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, for those who have read  this post.
No man the Dutch Special forces rock the world:p only i don't know what their name is".. Lol
They're called the Tulip War Interdiction Team, or TWIT.  They're highly trained in sticking their fingers in dikes and in operating hand pumps.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6764
hah ZING!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard