usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio
"Last week, a little ice in the air caused a few JetBlue planes to sit on the runway without taking off."

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/16437; … 2gsXkrLpA5

Sad thing is, I can tear this guys article apart.  Why would yahoo post something on their homepage from a blog written by someone who has no clue?

The airline business is lose lose when it comes to passengers.  If these planes went back to the gate, all the pilots would have had their "clock" restarted.  Pilots can only fly a certain amount of hours per day.  There are exceptions to this rule.  Basically weather and air traffic delays mean as long as the pilot pushed back from the gate to start the flight, he can go over those hours.  All that means is he needs more rest the next day. (Union)

Do I agree with keeping people on a plane on the ground that long?  Not really.  But people are on airplanes for 8+ hours all the time on long flights.  And lets not forget JetBlue has satellite TV in every seat.

So what would you prefer as a passenger?  Go back to the gate and have the flight cancelled?  Have to scramble for a hotel in New York? 

Just curious what you as a passenger would prefer.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
As long as Abdul doesn't use box cutters on the flight people I'm good.
It sucks, and a part of doing business in that industry.
Passangers shouldn't really expect the red carpet treatment when the weather goes to hell.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6594|Seattle

An email I got this morning wrote:

Dear JetBlue Customers,

We are sorry and embarrassed. But most of all, we are deeply sorry.

Last week was the worst operational week in JetBlue's seven year history. Following the severe winter ice storm in the Northeast, we subjected our customers to unacceptable delays, flight cancellations, lost baggage, and other major inconveniences. The storm disrupted the movement of aircraft, and, more importantly, disrupted the movement of JetBlue's pilot and inflight crewmembers who were depending on those planes to get them to the airports where they were scheduled to serve you. With the busy President's Day weekend upon us, rebooking opportunities were scarce and hold times at 1-800-JETBLUE were unacceptably long or not even available, further hindering our recovery efforts.

Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for the anxiety, frustration and inconvenience that we caused. This is especially saddening because JetBlue was founded on the promise of bringing humanity back to air travel and making the experience of flying happier and easier for everyone who chooses to fly with us. We know we failed to deliver on this promise last week.

We are committed to you, our valued customers, and are taking immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us. We have begun putting a comprehensive plan in place to provide better and more timely information to you, more tools and resources for our crewmembers and improved procedures for handling operational difficulties in the future. We are confident, as a result of these actions, that JetBlue will emerge as a more reliable and even more customer responsive airline than ever before.

Most importantly, we have published the JetBlue Airways Customer Bill of Rights—our official commitment to you of how we will handle operational interruptions going forward—including details of compensation. I have a video message to share with you about this industry leading action.

You deserved better—a lot better—from us last week. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you onboard again soon and provide you the positive JetBlue Experience you have come to expect from us.

Sincerely,

David Neeleman
Founder and CEO
JetBlue Airways
  I've never flown on Jet Blue in my life!
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

King_County_Downy wrote:

I've never flown on Jet Blue in my life!
Hope they send you a voucher.  Does JB even go to Sea-Tac?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina
My job requires me to fly periodically, so I've seen a lot of bitchy yuppies at airports.  Those are the kinds of customers that you wish you could just shove out of the emergency exit.

All things considered, I think JetBlue handled this well.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

My job requires me to fly periodically, so I've seen a lot of bitchy yuppies at airports.  Those are the kinds of customers that you wish you could just shove out of the emergency exit.

All things considered, I think JetBlue handled this well.
I feel bad for the people who work at the gates.  When I fly, I just have to sit there an be quiet, even though I want to say something....which you can tell is hard for me to do.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-22 16:45:18)

cospengle
+140|6484|Armidale, NSW, Australia
I'd rather go back to the terminal than sit in a plane for 10 hours. But that's just me. I mean by the time you got there you may as well have driven... (I'm assuming it was a domestic flight).
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

cospengle wrote:

I'd rather go back to the terminal than sit in a plane for 10 hours. But that's just me. I mean by the time you got there you may as well have driven... (I'm assuming it was a domestic flight).
It was domestic.  But you would not sit at the terminal, you would have to sleep there.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6558

usmarine2007 wrote:

The airline business is lose lose when it comes to passengers.  If these planes went back to the gate, all the pilots would have had their "clock" restarted.  Pilots can only fly a certain amount of hours per day.  There are exceptions to this rule.  Basically weather and air traffic delays mean as long as the pilot pushed back from the gate to start the flight, he can go over those hours.  All that means is he needs more rest the next day. (Union)
All of which enforces his point that there is no incentive to go back to that gate.

usmarine2007 wrote:

But people are on airplanes for 8+ hours all the time on long flights.
And they know this and prepare accordingly.  It isn't necessarily the time that's at issue, but the time relative to what it should have been.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

All of which enforces his point that there is no incentive to go back to that gate.

usmarine2007 wrote:

But people are on airplanes for 8+ hours all the time on long flights.
And they know this and prepare accordingly.  It isn't necessarily the time that's at issue, but the time relative to what it should have been.
I know, but it is a tough call to say the least.  Either way the passengers will be screwed.  So my question is, would you rather try and find an overpriced hotel in New York, sleep in the terminal, or get home?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6558
I thought it was the airlines responsibility to find accomodation?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6832|Kubra, Damn it!

Would you feel the same way if you were stuck in a movie theater for three hours with the doors locked and then they let everyone out without showing the movie? Say leaking water from a storm damaged the tape and they had to get a replacement. They still show those funny commercials and games in there. Also, three+ hour movies come out all the time, so what's the big deal.
It sucks that the pilots would have gone over, and it sucks that it was caused by weather and they had no control over it, but that's part of the reality of owning a business. Now that the situation is over, I agree with Turqoise in his assessment that they've handled it pretty well.

So to answer your question, since they ended up going back to the terminal anyway, I'd rather have gone back after two hours than after eight.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

Bubbalo wrote:

Not if it is weather related.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

chittydog wrote:

So to answer your question, since they ended up going back to the terminal anyway, I'd rather have gone back after two hours than after eight.
I know.  But think of it from a person in charge.  Say you sent the planes back to the gate.  After a couple hours the weather clears.  But now, most of the pilots are over their "time limits."  Now some of the planes cannot leave for a while, if at all.

Look, I have been in this situation, and I sent them back to the gates.  However, I can see how it got out of control.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6832|Kubra, Damn it!

I agree, it's a tough decision and obviously I don't know all the factors involved. However, I think you made the right choice when you had to, where the JetBlue guys may not have.

Btw, thanks for realizing I wasn't flaming you. It came out more hostile than was intended.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6558

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Well..............sucks to be you guys!
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Well..............sucks to be you guys!
lol.  The passengers get screwed by mother nature.
13rin
+977|6476

usmarine2007 wrote:

"Last week, a little ice in the air caused a few JetBlue planes to sit on the runway without taking off."

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/16437; … 2gsXkrLpA5

Sad thing is, I can tear this guys article apart.  Why would yahoo post something on their homepage from a blog written by someone who has no clue?

Do I agree with keeping people on a plane on the ground that long?  Not really.  But people are on airplanes for 8+ hours all the time on long flights.  And lets not forget JetBlue has satellite TV in every seat.

So what would you prefer as a passenger?  Go back to the gate and have the flight cancelled?  Have to scramble for a hotel in New York? 

Just curious what you as a passenger would prefer.
I thought about it and decided that I would have used the emergency exit over the wing and that fun looking yellow inflatable slide you get to study on that "oh shit we are all gonna die" card.  Then, presumably after I'm released from jail, I'd rent a car and fucking drive it.  But I'd plead insanity in court (cameronpoe and bubblao would vouch for me)
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6718|Sydney, Australia
As a aviation nut, I have found the general 'media rule' is:

They know shit all about the industry!

I would assume that the even thought "there were free gates", they were still assigned to aircraft later that day. By returning to the gate, and tying it up for an unknown amount of time, the airline would have incured financial penalties. Anyway, if there was a break in the weather it would take too long to reload every aircraft up again. Would there be a media frenzy in that instance?

stupid blog wrote:

how long a plane can sit on the runway without taking off
It sits on the apron, or possibly an unused taxiway.

usmarine, you said you've been in this situation. What job were you doing? (ATC I'd guess)

Mcminty.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

mcminty wrote:

usmarine, you said you've been in this situation. What job were you doing? (ATC I'd guess)

Mcminty.
I was actually working as a flight dispatcher in DC, but the weather was so bad that half the people could not make it to work.  So, I got the "you are in charge" badge slapped on me for that day.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6659|USA
Sitting in a plane 8 hours to a destination is one thing. Sitting on a runway 8 hours, I'll cancel my own trip. Fuck that.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Sitting in a plane 8 hours to a destination is one thing. Sitting on a runway 8 hours, I'll cancel my own trip. Fuck that.
How would you get home then?
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6659|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Thats a good point. For me a drive from New York to where I live is 8 hours. Sooooooo....yeah. Rent a car and drive. For the time I sat on the runway I could have drove home? Yeah.

Or get a hotel and send the bill to JetBlue. Get a lawyer on retainer and wait for them to pay the bill. Sue the fuck out of them when they refuse.

And this "Passenger Bill of Rights" is a joke. They just did that because the government is about to ream them with it anyway.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6364|Columbus, Ohio

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Thats a good point. For me a drive from New York to where I live is 8 hours. Sooooooo....yeah. Rent a car and drive. For the time I sat on the runway I could have drove home? Yeah.

Or get a hotel and send the bill to JetBlue. Get a lawyer on retainer and wait for them to pay the bill. Sue the fuck out of them when they refuse.

And this "Passenger Bill of Rights" is a joke. They just did that because the government is about to ream them with it anyway.
These people were going to Florida I believe.  And a lot of the roads were shut down due to weather.  And since it was weather related, you could not bill anything to JetBlue.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-23 05:53:45)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6659|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

These people were going to Florida I believe.  And a lot of the roads were shut down due to weather.  And since it was weather related, you could not bill anything to JetBlue.
Ok. So the options are to either, sit on the runway, stay in the terminal or get a hotel. So the only option home is flight?

I've slept in BWI terminal in Maryland so Im not too good to do it again. But for this particular issue, I don't think getting home is everyones problem. Being "trapped" on a plane for that many hours, not moving, and the weather is a factor.....those people should have been taken off the plane alot sooner. Thats the big issue here. Its giving the passengers false hope of maybe we'll take off. Then after 10-11 hours random Bill Smith gets a little heated with a stewardess and BOOM! Patriot Act BITCH! Your under arrest.

So the planning due to cancellations is going to happen either way. Let me of the plane so I can make arrangements.  Its just a long time to be on a plane and never leave.

As for it being a volatile industry, you pay 3-500 bucks to go somewhere, I'm not listening to any "woe is me" from anyone in the airline industry.

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-02-23 06:04:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard