superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6791

I did a BF2 Myth Busters a while back so I thought I'd follow it up with a 2142 Myth Busters:

Myth 1) Aim for the Vents on the Walker:  Wrong, aim for the legs.  The one shot kill means hitting one very very small vent underneath the walker which you’re not going to hit unless you’re very close and the walker isn’t moving.  Also, hitting the big vents on the back of the walker does the same damage as hitting the walker head on.  Aim for the legs.

Myth 2) Zeller is the Best Sniper Rifle:  Nope!  Moretti and Park have larger clips and larger field of vision when zoomed.  Prone stationary snipers die pretty quickly in 2142 so you’re better off using run and gun techniques where large view in scope and ammo are more important.  Also, I know it sounds cool but they’re so loud that everyone with a 2 km radius will hear you.

Myth 3) Grenades suck in 2142: It does take longer to throw them and you only get 2 or 3 but that’s because of the linear map design on most city maps which often causes bottlenecks of concentrated fighting.  These bottle necks are what make grenades incredibly effective in 2142.

Myth 4) You can own walkers at a distance by “tank sniping”: Walkers have unlimited sprint, they run weird so its legs are hard to hit, and they have very powerful rockets.  A good walker pilot will always beat a good tank pilot.

Myth 5) PAC “Hover” Tank is much better than EU “Tiger” Tank: Only true on larger vehicle maps.  Hover tank owns in vehicle-vehicle combat but is pretty vulnerable on city maps like Belgrade.  Regular tank does real well against infantry and can more effectively use cover in cities.

Myth 6) Bunny hopping is still a great tactic: Not always because it kills your sprint.  If you’re exposed and not sprinting then you’re gonna get killed very quickly.  Hop only if cover is right around the corner, otherwise make a run for it if you come under fire.

Myth 7) Unlock the <<insert any kit here>> tree first:  Not recommended. You should unlock the sprint unlocks first.  If you can’t run then you die…doesn’t matter what gun or other unlock you got.

Myth 8) The RD-4 Otus (floating donut above squad leader) is useless:  The SD-8 Accipiter (shooting donut) is a very poor unlock, but unfortunately the RD-4 Otus gets a bad rap cause it’s a similar concept.  Wrong!  The Otus is an excellent tool for a squad leader because it offers a mini-UAV for your entire team.  That is if you’re actually interested in playing your role as a squad leader.

Myth 9) Titan is a great way to get big points: Wrong, big points from Titan come from really long rounds.  On average, your score per minute isn’t going to be better.  You'll get more team points because of nature of Titan scoring and more ribbons because of the length of the rounds but you're not getting big points.

Myth 10) The Best Buy Scar-11 skin is so much better than the standard: Same gun, just takes up half your screen.

Myth 11) The Red Shield for support is great: I really don’t get why people use it.  First off, it totally gives away your position…its like putting down a “snipe me here” sign.  Second, if you want cover then duck behind a corner.  What is the point of finding cover behind a transparent shield through which you cannot shoot?  You can see them and they can see you and the second you move over to take a shot you’ll get a sniper bullet in your head.  Yes, you can use it to protect your side but its not really big enough to cover a prone soldier and it hurts you more by giving away your location.  The only time I’ve ever seen these things be useful is when they’re used as obstacles in the small corridors on the titan.

Myth 12) “Berlin is not an unbalanced map, people just don’t know how to play it”: Berlin is the most unbalanced map I’ve played in either bf2 or 2142.  The only way to win that map as PAC is to immediately rush out of your base in an apc and hope to cap a flag before the other team gets organized.  If you miss this opportunity then so long as the other team drops a few loller mines and covers the three choke points, you are going to be in for a long round.

Myth 13) To kill a walker (or other vehicle) with an Orbital Strike you should first order an EMP on them:  Nope, you should actually do the reverse. First order the Orbital Strike then quickly order the EMP.  The reason for this is that the EMP fires almost immediately while the orbital strike has a slight delay.  Therefore, if you drop EMP first then it will immediately immobilize the vehicle but run out as the orbital strike is beginning and making it easy for the vehicle to escape.  What you do is order and orbital strike on a vehicle and then immediately order the EMP.  If you do this then they will both arrive at the same time (because of delay in orbital strike) thereby immobilizing the vehicle for the duration of the orbital strike on it.

I'll add more as I think of em...
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6608|Cheshire. UK

superfly_cox wrote:

I did a BF2 Myth Busters a while back so I thought I'd follow it up with a 2142 Myth Busters:

Myth 1) Aim for the Vents on the Walker:  Wrong, aim for the legs.  The one shot kill means hitting one very very small vent underneath the walker which you’re not going to hit unless you’re very close and the walker isn’t moving.  Also, hitting the big vents on the back of the walker does the same damage as hitting the walker head on.  Aim for the legs.

Ive taken to RDX on the underneath...and so far It appears to kill with one pack

Myth 2) Zeller is the Best Sniper Rifle:  Nope!  Moretti and Park have larger clips and larger field of vision when zoomed.  Prone stationary snipers die pretty quickly in 2142 so you’re better off using run and gun techniques where large view in scope and ammo are more important.  Also, I know it sounds cool but they’re so loud that everyone with a 2 km radius will hear you.

Agreed

Myth 3) Grenades suck in 2142: It does take longer to throw them and you only get 2 or 3 but that’s because of the linear map design on most city maps which often causes bottlenecks of concentrated fighting.  These bottle necks are what make grenades incredibly effective in 2142.

Same for the corridors on the TITAN

Myth 4) You can own walkers at a distance by “tank sniping”: Walkers have unlimited sprint, they run weird so its legs are hard to hit, and they have very powerful rockets.  A good walker pilot will always beat a good tank pilot.

Agreed

Myth 5) PAC “Hover” Tank is much better than EU “Tiger” Tank: Only true on larger vehicle maps.  Hover tank owns in vehicle-vehicle combat but is pretty vulnerable on city maps like Belgrade.  Regular tank does real well against infantry and can more effectively use cover in cities.

I think the Tiger is more responsive to movement

Myth 6) Bunny hopping is still a great tactic: Not always because it kills your sprint.  If you’re exposed and not sprinting then you’re gonna get killed very quickly.  Hop only if cover is right around the corner, otherwise make a run for it if you come under fire.

Annoying as F**K

Myth 7) Unlock the <<insert any kit here>> tree first:  Not recommended. You should unlock the sprint unlocks first.  If you can’t run then you die…doesn’t matter what gun or other unlock you got.

Agreed also try to keep an even range of Unlocks meaning any soldier is effective

Myth 8) The RD-4 Otus (floating donut above squad leader) is useless:  The SD-8 Accipiter (shooting donut) is a very poor unlock, but unfortunately the RD-4 Otus gets a bad rap cause it’s a similar concept.  Wrong!  The Otus is an excellent tool for a squad leader because it offers a mini-UAV for your entire team.  That is if you’re actually interested in playing your role as a squad leader.

Agreed

Myth 9) Titan is a great way to get big points: Wrong, big points from Titan come from really long rounds.  On average, your score per minute isn’t going to be better.  You'll get more team points because of nature of Titan scoring and more ribbons because of the length of the rounds but you're not getting big points.

Team Play gets the big points no matter the map.....I prefer TITAN as there is a goal at the end

Myth 10) The Best Buy Scar-11 skin is so much better than the standard: Same gun, just takes up half your screen.

Agreed...looks pretty though :-)

Myth 11) The Red Shield for support is great: I really don’t get why people use it.  First off, it totally gives away your position…its like putting down a “snipe me here” sign.  Second, if you want cover then duck behind a corner.  What is the point of finding cover behind a transparent shield through which you cannot shoot?  You can see them and they can see you and the second you move over to take a shot you’ll get a sniper bullet in your head.  Yes, you can use it to protect your side but its not really big enough to cover a prone soldier and it hurts you more by giving away your location.  The only time I’ve ever seen these things be useful is when they’re used as obstacles in the small corridors on the titan.

A good use for this I have seen is to create a barricade with sentry guns back a little from them as you have to jump to get over them ...the guns get you!

Myth 12) “Berlin is not an unbalanced map, people just don’t know how to play it”: Berlin is the most unbalanced map I’ve played in either bf2 or 2142.  The only way to win that map as PAC is to immediately rush out of your base in an apc and hope to cap a flag before the other team gets organized.  If you miss this opportunity then so long as the other team drops a few loller mines and covers the three choke points, you are going to be in for a long round.

Agreed

Myth 13) To kill a walker (or other vehicle) with an Orbital Strike you should first order an EMP on them:  Nope, you should actually do the reverse. First order the Orbital Strike then quickly order the EMP.  The reason for this is that the EMP fires almost immediately while the orbital strike has a slight delay.  Therefore, if you drop EMP first then it will immediately immobilize the vehicle but run out as the orbital strike is beginning and making it easy for the vehicle to escape.  What you do is order and orbital strike on a vehicle and then immediately order the EMP.  If you do this then they will both arrive at the same time (because of delay in orbital strike) thereby immobilizing the vehicle for the duration of the orbital strike on it.

Agreed....

Last edited by joker3327 (2007-02-22 04:12:04)

ReDevilJR
+106|6361
nicely done.
KiLLMasTer
+3|6791|West Va (USA)
nice post
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6567|Brisbane, Aus

no wonder my attempts at getting at the walker vents proved useless....

+1

Last edited by Fenix14 (2007-02-22 04:26:46)

Zukabazuka
+23|6695
Hitting the vent sure kills it in one hit but getting under it might be harder if that walker doesn't stand still then for a long time.
Thoruz
+42|6336|Germany

superfly_cox wrote:

the vents are for every weapon
1 lambert magazine to those vents causes about 25 damage
but you're right they are to small to be effective for those who can shoot at the legs

Last edited by Thoruz (2007-02-22 04:59:16)

Main_E_ak
That sky looks like ground...
+6|6559|UK

superfly_cox wrote:

It's more than that, all the sniper rifles have equal accuracy, you trade clip and scope size for damage and the ability to blow explosives. Also Zellar shots are visible as they fly across the map - they look like small, very fast tank shells.
Superglueman
+21|6370|The Great South Land

superfly_cox wrote:

SmilingBuddha
You laughin' at me, bitch?
+44|6659|Hong Kong
I disagree with Myth #12. I have played many rounds where the PAC has completely pwned the EU.
zeidmaan
+234|6425|Vienna

I agree with most of it

Actualy Hover tank owns the "tiger" tank so much that its superiority is far from a myth

I mean only city map with tanks is belgrade. Other City maps dont have tanks. And even on Belgade Nakomata is superior. If you stay on the wide street and on the elevated positions (statue flag - where the walker is) you will have enough space to utilize your supperiour manoverability.

And on "big" maps its not even a contest. Nakomata > Tiger all the way.
Sambuccashake
+126|6620|Sweden

SmilingBuddha wrote:

I disagree with Myth #12. I have played many rounds where the PAC has completely pwned the EU.
So have I but it's usually only possible with totally retarded opposition.

Which means that Fall of Berlin is indeed the most unbalanced map there is.
Doperwt.
Anouk, Slayers little bitch
+80|6404|Belgium

zeidmaan wrote:

I agree with most of it

Actualy Hover tank owns the "tiger" tank so much that its superiority is far from a myth

I mean only city map with tanks is belgrade. Other City maps dont have tanks. And even on Belgade Nakomata is superior. If you stay on the wide street and on the elevated positions (statue flag - where the walker is) you will have enough space to utilize your supperiour manoverability.

And on "big" maps its not even a contest. Nakomata > Tiger all the way.
thats because you can keep the hooverstank nose towards the barrel of the tigertank. so moving to his rear and shooting him in the ass
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6608|S.C.
You never said myth busted, confirmed or plausible.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478

superfly_cox wrote:

True 95% of the time.

Agreed

Agreed

half and Half: If you are in the EU's tiger you will likely lose if the mech gets close enough but if you are in the PAC's Nektomata you are agile enough to get to the Mech's weakest point, on the back right below the "head"

Agreed, The Tiger is the Nektomata's bitch

Agreed

Agreed, grenades and sprint are by far the best unlocks in the game.

Agreed; though I still prefer the beacon

Disagree. On titan you have many more oprotunities to score points, for instance kills on the titan are worth twice a regular kill. My SPM on titan is ussually about 1.8~2.2, while on conquest it is ussually 1.3~1.5

agreed

Agreed with both parts, although the part about on titan more strongly thabn the part about on conquest.

Unless you get your whole squad up onto a building, and this squad has at least one support, one assualt, one engineer and one recon berlin fails. I know how to turn the tides of Cerebre and Gibraltar fast but Berlin is impossible as PAC

Agreed

superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6791

mikeyb118 wrote:

ah, good point.

i guess my premise was to list all the busted myths.  however it would be interesting to add myths that are actually true.  sort of like:

14) The Ganz Sucks: Well everybody says the Ganz sucks and I'd have to agree.  It takes forever to become accurate and by that time its ready to overheat.  Its really only useful for camping in the titan or spawn raping.  Beyond all this, the real reason that it sucks is because even if you want to argue that its not a bad gun the truth is that the stock LMG's are so much better than it is.  Myth: Confirmed
Recoil555
A God Amongst Men
+26|6462|UK
+1 Cox's, Especially agree on sprint coming from IO on BF2 i notice this straight away then you start playing with no unlocks you have unbelievable low amount of sprint only barely a street width, its just not how i play i need to run like a motherfucker sometimes and its only possible when you have those sprint unlocks.

Last edited by Recoil555 (2007-02-22 07:36:57)

superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6791

Recoil555 wrote:

+1 Cox's, Especially agree on sprint coming from IO on BF2 i notice this straight away then you start playing with no unlocks you have unbelievable low amount of sprint only barely a street width, its just not how i play i need to run like a motherfucker sometimes and its only possible when you have those sprint unlocks.
I first realized this when I decided to start another account for 2142 and see what gaudy stats I could rack up on Gibralter.  The first thing I realized was that my normal tactics (flanking, run and gun and getting to those sweet kill spots) were completely ruined by my terrible "asthma" problem.  I'd try to run from cover to cover only to find that I'd start wheezing out in the open and then promptly get blown away.  Was definitely a reality check because not only did i not get gaudy stats, they were way worst than my regular account!

Without sprint, you lose all the advantages that one gains from knowing the maps and tactics behind those maps.

Last edited by superfly_cox (2007-02-22 07:50:45)

vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6627|UCF
15) Anti Personal Mines always detonates when you pass it: This may be true in BF2, but in BF2142, as long as you duck or crawl around a corner, the APM doesn't detonate. You'll be surprised at how many people don't know this.
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6730|The Netherlands
Wow nice post soupfly. +1

About the sprint unlocks, it maybe nice to mention that people only need to unlock the first one. You can get the second sprint unlock via the field upgrade screen ingame. Its shows a lock but just select the sprint upgrade, click 'okay' and you ll get it anyways.

I don't agree with you about the flying donuts/myth 8 tho. Why? They give away your position instantly, even when your behind a cover. Its like having a big floating sign over your head saying: I m right here, come kill me! The advantage doesn't weight up against the disadvantage it has. It just sucks.

The idea behind an uav is not that its 2 meters above your head and looking like a 50 cm donut, its being way up there. The global hawk is a good real life example. That operates at maybe 30.000 feet. If ea shrinks the uav donut in 2142 to the size of a fly, then maybe its become a usable tool. Until that time, stay clear of people using donuts.

Edit: Donuts are cool, myth busted!

Last edited by Echo (2007-02-22 08:56:10)

Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6705|UK

superfly_cox wrote:

People say aim for the vents with a gun fool, Id like to see a kill with the Voss from shooting the legs
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478

superfly_cox wrote:

mikeyb118 wrote:

ah, good point.

i guess my premise was to list all the busted myths.  however it would be interesting to add myths that are actually true.  sort of like:

14) The Ganz Sucks: Well everybody says the Ganz sucks and I'd have to disagree.  It does >3/2 the damage, more than making up for the 2/3 refire rate, and that is only at <15 meters. At the longest distance of 60 meters it does so much more damage than the stocks that it makes up for the lenght of time to lock the devation, all you have to remeber is aim for the head and at long range you will beat a stock lmg user every time. The only thing the stocks have on it are there mobility however the ganz was ment to be a defensive weapon and it excels at that..  Myth: Busted
Made a few corrections.

Last edited by doctastrangelove1964 (2007-02-22 09:01:13)

Recoil555
A God Amongst Men
+26|6462|UK

superfly_cox wrote:

Recoil555 wrote:

I first realized this when I decided to start another account for 2142 and see what gaudy stats I could rack up on Gibralter.  The first thing I realized was that my normal tactics (flanking, run and gun and getting to those sweet kill spots) were completely ruined by my terrible "asthma" problem.  I'd try to run from cover to cover only to find that I'd start wheezing out in the open and then promptly get blown away.  Was definitely a reality check because not only did i not get gaudy stats, they were way worst than my regular account!

Without sprint, you lose all the advantages that one gains from knowing the maps and tactics behind those maps.
Rofl asthma isn't in it, i swear at first i was going to war with 30 stone man just waddling into battle i mean what solider can't sprint across a road especially when their lives depend on it lol its just doesn't make sense.

Yeah positioning in this game is everything  flanking for example you spot someone they spot you they expect you to pop out of the same entrance now if you run all the way round building and pop up behind them they get slaughtered just because you out manoeuvred them not because you're better at aiming than them which is what it would come down to in a head on fight with no interference.

Plus if you can't run away from a battle walker pounding the ground behind and you stop for donut break then you are going down...

Last edited by Recoil555 (2007-02-22 09:05:34)

Neoburn_1035
Medic!!!!!!!
+27|6839|OP, KS

superfly_cox wrote:

Wrong they are talking about the vent directly between the legs under the walker. it is a small rectangular port. I unloaded a clip from my machine gun and boom. never saw me.

otherwise +1
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.
The Otus is one of the best unlocks in the game.

You can get on top of unreachable buildings by EMPing the Otus and standing on it and you will keep rising.

The Zeller does more damage and can take out RDX and APM's,might want to add that.

The Nekomata comes out the winner in every tank fight i get into.

Titan is a great way to get points...

Unless the Tiger gets behind him first.

Bunnyhopping was never a good tactic,pointless doing it as you can't shoot while you do it.

I agree with everything else.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard