commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

Check this out, I thought you might be interested in this, it's called Tetra Vaal.
"Tetra Vaal is a futuristic robot that helps police by patrolling streets and neighborhoods. This short clip was directed by Neill Blomkamp and produced under the guidance of 'Embassy Visual Effects Inc'". For those who haven’t seen Tetra Vaal, here's a picture:
https://analogik.com/_images/img_mm_tetra_robot_big.jpg
"'What is so extraordinary about this video is not only their superb 3D rendering, shadows, dirt and the texture, but also a rather unusual context the whole action takes place in:'"
[google]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6645931304419661379&q=Tetra+Vaal&hl=en[/google]
Source

Edit: note, this is purely a concept in case any of you weren't sure.

Last edited by commandochristian (2007-02-21 15:15:39)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6386|The Gem Saloon
that is a really cool video.........one thing i had a question about.....i saw the robot shoot from the hip....do you think it sees a "crosshair" or do you think it will need to actually shoulder the weapon to aquire a sight picture like the human eye???
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6743|Chicago.
Concept = Cool
Seeing that thing IRL = Scary
Recoil555
A God Amongst Men
+26|6444|UK

Parker wrote:

that is a really cool video.........one thing i had a question about.....i saw the robot shoot from the hip....do you think it sees a "crosshair" or do you think it will need to actually shoulder the weapon to aquire a sight picture like the human eye???
Well it hasn't been built yet so i wouldn't know. Nice bit of 3D rendering that video and would wicked if we could have robots like that.

Edit: Plus with that set up it would be hard to put programing advanced enough straight away to make it autonomous so maybe a trooper would control it using a computer or like CGI suit which tracks his body movement with lasers and to move he just pointed his body in the right direction using a video head set and a button to walk (so the solider doesn't have to physically walk around with the suit on to get robot to move). You could also keep the robot in the field over many nights just people taking shifts in controlling him. Depending on what its powered by but if he have a socket he could just plug him self in at convenient time rofl.

Last edited by Recoil555 (2007-02-21 15:22:50)

InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6424|Washington State, USA
yeah ive seen that before, the guy who made it also made another really sick video so idk where that would be
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

Parker wrote:

Well, going completely off of the concept video, it appears that it doesn't need to shoulder the weapon in order to fire it, so maybe it will be human-like: for accuracy, it can shoulder the weapon and use the sights for pinpoint shots, but when returning general and not-needing-to-be-as-accurate fire, maybe it will know roughly where the gun is pointing and fire away.  As to the use of a "crosshair," I guess that's all in the programming of how it shoots.
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

[bump as I'm curious what more people think]
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6610|InGerLand
very nice, but i cannot see it becoming a reality exactly as it is there for at least a good 50-60 years (though you never know)
Kanil
"Aff, Star Colonel!"
+37|6753|Internet!
Looks kinda cute with the antenna-ears.

Like, "Awww, look at the cute little robot with the assault rifle... how adorable"

Last edited by Kanil (2007-02-21 16:49:08)

psH
Banned
+217|6375|Sydney
Thats a really cool video, nice idea too. Unless....

they go crazy and take over humanity and put us in bubbles to harvest energy and use us for experiments *GASP*
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6619|Canada
ok, if that thing is buit we are one step closer to fulfill the teminator movies IRL
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6610|InGerLand
dno i can't really see a liquid metal police man chasing me down still...
and besides they wouldn't have a collective AI like the films and they wouldn't have a factory to mass produce themselves (considering they are in the third world) so i can't really see them doing that

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard