~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6345|Orrstrayleea
A couple of days ago in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia A man that was smashing cars and private property was confronted by the police, after refusing to put the axe down and go peacefully he charged at a police officer whose partener shot the man several times in the torso ans killed him, Only a day after that the police officers supervisor asked him why he didnt use pepper spray! The policeman is now under reveiw by the cheif commisioner! Is this fair, i mean pepper spray? come on his partener was about to be murdered by axe?, was pepper spray really going to help?
LT.Victim
+1,175|6586|British Columbia, Canada
Don't you guys have Taser Guns over in Australia?
m8v2
Banned
+16|6318
Pepper spray really is not going to affect a mad man. What would most likely happen is that they try to pepper spray him and miss and still get hacked to bits. The cops deserve a promotion.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6670|Peoria
Pepper spray is shit, I doubt even Chemical Mace would have affected him.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6552|Global Command
Australian teen held in hospital attack on 91-year-old patient

When will the authorities stop this Australian menace.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … 842S09.DTL
Reciprocity
+721|6604|the dank(super) side of Oregon
spraying an axe wielding madman is like shooting a bear with a 9mm,  you'll just piss him off.  the last thing we need are police on the streets doing their jobs.  they should have used a shotgun and just cut the guy in half.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2007-02-20 23:19:29)

I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6742|Melbourne, Australia
yer i just saw dat on the news Fuken he got killed in SUNSHINE no wonder dat place is gettin worse then footscray (asns and blacks everywhere) (no offence :p)

i live in melton loll not much better der all just aussie bogans
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Elamdri wrote:

Have you ever been sprayed with pepper spray? It's hard to hit someone with an axe when you can't see.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-20 23:24:42)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
~FuzZz~
+422|6345|Orrstrayleea
Yhe, its hard to hit someone when you cant see, but it is also very hard to hit someone with pepper spay, and yes, he deserves a promotion
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6799|Kansas, USA
It's Australia - should have used a boomerang.
BVC
+325|6718
The guy was coming at the cop with an axe...what did he expect?
weasel_thingo
+74|6350
a few weeks ago in perth a similar thing happend, guy stabed a policemen and then he got shot 3 times and was killed by the stabbed cop. i dont think he should have shot him 3 times maybe once at the most. but an axe is alot more dangerous and by the time he gets close enough to be pepper sprayed he would have killed the cop.
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6463|A drop house
He did the right thing...Pepper spay on a crazy man charging with a frickin axe??? If he had used pepper spay the headline would have been 1 police officer seriously wounded and 1 man dead after confrontation.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

N.A.T.O wrote:

He did the right thing...Pepper spay on a crazy man charging with a frickin axe??? If he had used pepper spay the headline would have been 1 police officer seriously wounded and 1 man dead after confrontation.
You don't understand.. You physically can not see. I don't care if you are crazy or not. Providing you get a good shot.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
~FuzZz~
+422|6345|Orrstrayleea
Yes but by the time the axe guy got close enough for the cop to pepper him he would have been close enought to swing the axe, About a 1 metre handle on it?!
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6463|A drop house

Kmarion wrote:

N.A.T.O wrote:

You don't understand.. You physically can not see. I don't care if you are crazy or not. Providing you get a good shot.
Some people can gain immunity to pepper spray if exposed to much, also if he was on drugs of some sort the pain may not have effected him. Your eyes don’t swell immediately(4-6 seconds for full capillary dilation), and during a charge all this nut most likely needed was a couple seconds to get to his target. Then again maybe pepper spray would have worked but would you want to take the chance? I can imagine a man charging with an axe and 2 police officers standing there spraying away while he makes contact with one of them.

Last edited by N.A.T.O (2007-02-20 23:55:22)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Pea....Tear.....Griffen wrote:

Yes but by the time the axe guy got close enough for the cop to pepper him he would have been close enought to swing the axe, About a 1 metre handle on it?!
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Repellent-Pe … B0006DVNT8 No need to get close. I'm not talking about the mini ones the girls carry around. Don't you ever watch Dog the bounty hunter? ..lol

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-20 23:50:15)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6678|Lancaster Ohio, USA
The thought that some people wanted to use pepper spray is just ludicrous. If I have my gun drawn and someone charges me with an axe why would I lower/holster my weapon and then fumble around trying to get the pepper spray out? Think about it people. I side with the police officer 100%.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6670|Peoria

Kmarion wrote:

Elamdri wrote:

Have you ever been sprayed with pepper spray? It's hard to hit someone with an axe when you can't see.
I'm making the statement that if I had the choice, i would take chemical mace over pepper spray any day of the week.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6676|pimelteror.de
everytime, a policeman kills somebody, the case has to be examined. at least in germany, they have to. he won´t go to jail for this, because it was clearly in self defence.
Metallicatt
+3|6786|Gold Coast, Down Under
SHITE!!

The Police here have a hard enough time doing their normal job, let alone have to deal with this stuff.
I don't feel that this officer should be under review. By the sounds of it, they saved their partners life.

(No, I am not a Police Officer myself)

I keep thinking, SHOOT AT THEIR LEGS or something, but when in that kind of situ, with possibly a split-second decision. I suppose it comes down to a life for a life.

I often wonder, "What if it wasn't a Police Officer, but a normal citizen, who killed an attacker".

Thinking what our judicial system is like, the Defender will probably be sent to jail, and the Attacker's family would file a law suit and get some sort of compensation for their loss.

CRAP!!!!
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6302

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Repellent-Pepper-Animal-Deterrent/dp/B0006DVNT8 No need to get close. I'm not talking about the mini ones the girls carry around. Don't you ever watch Dog the bounty hunter? ..lol
Yep, cops don't use those dinky little cans, they use the big cannister dispensers that spray quite a distance, usually a mixture of standard pepper spray and CS. Even if the burning doesn't start right away, the stuff's like getting a fire extinguisher blast in the face. Plus the thick foam stuff they sometimes use increases the range and makes it less likely to be blown off-target by the wind.

That said, this is a lot more of a blurred line than some of the cop shootings I've seen. At least this one was actually armed with a dangerous weapon and charging with possible intent to use it. I can't say I wouldn't have fired in this circumstance.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6302

bob_6012 wrote:

The thought that some people wanted to use pepper spray is just ludicrous. If I have my gun drawn and someone charges me with an axe why would I lower/holster my weapon and then fumble around trying to get the pepper spray out? Think about it people. I side with the police officer 100%.
IMO, standard operating procedure when dealing with a subject who's potentially violent but clearly not armed with a firearm should be to have the spray out and held at low-ready, have someone also ready to cover them with a firearm in case the spray doesn't work. Unfortunately most of the training in less-than-lethal weapons seems to be either lax or totally disregarded in the field and police end up using them as pain compliance devices for unarmed or non-violent individuals.
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6678|Lancaster Ohio, USA
Well I was just saying if I had a firearm out I would use it. That's kind of what I was trying to get at there.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6417|The Gem Saloon
i suppose the police down there dont follow the 21 foot rule.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard