pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6583|MANCHESTERRR
I turn on my comp, all is fine, CPU is running at 0-1% at idle and no higher than twenty really. However, after about two hours, it wont shift off fifty percent and lags my game out completely. Ive scanned, defraged no virus.

https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/AvengedBageL/Comp.jpg

Specs - P4 3.6

1gb RAM

x1900XT

Any help would be much appreciated.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

pers0nah wrote:

Ive scanned, defraged no virus.
lol.

What virus scanner did you use?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6583|MANCHESTERRR

haffeysucks wrote:

pers0nah wrote:

Ive scanned, defraged no virus.
lol.

What virus scanner did you use?
AVG, Spybot S & D, Did HijackThis, could see nothin out of the ordinary, all ATi stuff, then again, im a noob.

Last edited by pers0nah (2007-02-18 11:10:35)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

You may have some bad Ram. Remember memory is what takes the stress off the CPU.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6572|USA

Kmarion wrote:

You may have some bad Ram. Remember memory is what takes the stress off the CPU.
how did you get so damned PC smart?
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6583|MANCHESTERRR

Kmarion wrote:

Ahh reet! Is there anyway of testing this? Or will i have to go and get some more RAM if i want to get rid of these problems?

Edit - I remember hearing something about increasing ure virtual memory, is this worth doing?

Last edited by pers0nah (2007-02-18 11:26:23)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

pers0nah wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Ahh reet! Is there anyway of testing this? Or will i have to go and get some more RAM if i want to get rid of these problems?

Edit - I remember hearing something about increasing ure virtual memory, is this worth doing?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memo … stic.shtml
Make sure you follow the instructions. You must boot from it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6372|Pittsburgh, PA USA

Ender2309 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

he's not human.....at least that's my conclusion.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
I would get more RAM.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

MagikTrik wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

he's not human.....at least that's my conclusion.
Lol, ty. I have been reading tech forums for a very long time now. It's something that has held my interest for as long as I can remember.

pers0nah wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I would not recommend re-writing your page file unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-18 18:06:39)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah
i would suggest buying a better processor like a 6300 if your mobo supports it and another gig of ram and you will be set for a good while. Make sure you either buy another gig of ram of the same company or buy a set of 2 gigs.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

Kmarion is pretty savvy ... I happen to snag this pic of him at work ...
https://www.othersideimages.com/images/pepwebs/geeksqud.jpg

The#1Spot wrote:

i would suggest buying a better processor like a 6300 if your mobo supports it and another gig of ram and you will be set for a good while. Make sure you either buy another gig of ram of the same company or buy a set of 2 gigs.
Great but thats not solving anything

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-02-18 18:51:29)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

http://www.othersideimages.com/images/p … eksqud.jpg

The#1Spot wrote:

Right, that is me telling that guy to take that Sony Vaio and throw it in a wood chipper.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah

jsnipy wrote:

http://www.othersideimages.com/images/p … eksqud.jpg

The#1Spot wrote:

yea it does increasing the cache and memory will take a great amount of strain off the computer and perform more efficiently with modern programs since its updated hardware.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
In conclusion. Better ram is what you need.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
Kmarion may know his shit, and I'm not saying he doesn't, but there are other posibilities and it may not be bad ram (but it is still worth testing your ram with WMD or similar, just in case).

pers0nah: When the CPU gets stuck on 50% usage, what process is causing it? if it's always like your screenshot - with Firefox taking a good chunk - then it's probably firefox. I have similar problems with firefox if I've been using it alot. It's not good at memory mangement or something like that. Adding more ram will probably help, but you'll simply be masking the problem.

I find completely closing down firefox often helps a lot.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-02-18 19:19:35)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Kmarion may know his shit, and I'm not saying he doesn't, but there are other posibilities and it may not be bad ram (but it is still worth testing your ram with WMD or similar, just in case).

pers0nah: When the CPU gets stuck on 50% usage, what process is causing it? if it's always like your screenshot - with Firefox taking a good chunk - then it's probably firefox. I have similar problems with firefox if I've been using it alot. It's not good at memory mangement or something like that. Adding more ram will probably help, but you'll simply be masking the problem.

I'm not even saying add more memory. Even at a gig that P4 should not be working that hard with those apps. I suggest running all the standard programs for cleaning your PC (Hijackthis,Adaware, Avg). Then starting in safe mode and checking your performance. If his CPU is still overworking there is a good chance his memory is faulty. I would hope he ran the memory diagnostic tool I gave him before he considers purchasing more.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
[TP~Bravo]Wiggy
Failure By Design
+39|6547|Cardiff, Wales, Uk.
You really have nothing to worry about, system idle process ( tell by the name ) is just a process that runs while your computer is idle ( as in no input for around 10 seconds ), it's sort of complicated but you should be able to Wiki it if you wish.

and 36 for firefox, that's quite high for firefox, keep and eye on it over a time span of a minute and see how much it fluctuates.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Kmarion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I'm not even saying add more memory. Even at a gig that P4 should not be working that hard with those apps. I suggest running all the standard programs for cleaning your PC (Hijackthis,Adaware, Avg). Then starting in safe mode and checking your performance. If his CPU is still overworking there is a good chance his memory is faulty. I would hope he ran the memory diagnostic tool I gave him before he considers purchasing more.
I'm not saying you are saying to add more ram. I am saying that adding ram might help if it is firefox that's causing the problem, rather than bad ram. I'm not saying you're wrong in your diagnosis and you're correct to suggest the memory diagnostic tool.

I was just pointing out that this may not be the problem and the screenshot suggests it is an issue with Firefox.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-02-18 19:32:05)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I'm not saying you are saying to add more ram. I am saying that adding ram might help if it is firefox that's causing the problem, rather than bad ram. And I'm not saying you're wrong in your diagnosis and you're correct to suggest the memory diagnostic tool.

I was just pointing out that this may not be the problem and the screenshot suggests it is an issue with Firefox.
You are of course right Firefox could be the issue. I would hope that he at least shut down firefox and looked before he posted here..lol.

He should run HJT and save his log. Post it in here to help decifer it. http://hjt.networktechs.com/

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-18 19:36:29)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Kmarion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I'm not saying you are saying to add more ram. I am saying that adding ram might help if it is firefox that's causing the problem, rather than bad ram. And I'm not saying you're wrong in your diagnosis and you're correct to suggest the memory diagnostic tool.

You are of course right Firefox could be the issue. I would hope that he at least shut down firefox and looked before he posted here..lol.
1st rule of PC Support - Assume nothing...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

1st rule of PC Support - Assume nothing...
I thought it was, "Is your computer plugged in?" ..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6550|Windermere, GB
What process it taking up the power?
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6583|MANCHESTERRR
Wow! Thanks for the replies! Right, where do i start?

KmarionTheUber wrote:

Lost the screenies i took earlier, its at 70% usage there because of firefox, at Idle, its 50% all the time. Thanks anyway champ, ill try that link! As for that MS program you told me to DL earlier, turns out i have no blank CD's Im going to WoolWorths later and buying some (WoolWorths = Bristish General Shop )

Cyborg wrote:

In conclusion. Better ram is what you need.
That really wouldnt suprise me, i have that Corsair Value RAM. I think its PC4200 DDR2, not sure wether thats bad or good, also have a Abit GD8 pro as a mobo so a C2D is out of the question atm. An no, i wont be buying RAM until im completely exausted my options as im on a super tight budget atm (sucks being 14 )

As im writing this now, all is well, its staying at 0% no problem but give it another 40 mins and itll be back.

https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/AvengedBageL/Taskmanager2.jpg

Thanks for your help, ill try all the above links and problem solvers.

oh and..

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

When it starts happening, i shut down everything, firefox, xfire, msn so the only things i have running are the essentials like ATi drivers and AVG running, still doesnt shift off 50% and fluctuates between 50 and 60%

Next time it starts again, ill get another screenshot

Update! Hijack this found nothing bad, apart from this:

"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Kind

Neutral
Neutral
    Must be fixed!Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Sypware" file used surreptitiously monitor ones actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers"

Just got rid of it, ill see if it makes a difference karma for all tomorrow, i gotta go out now though, cya soon.

Last edited by pers0nah (2007-02-19 07:21:41)

EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6653
Can you post your hijackthis logfile, also can you do a scan with rootkitrevealer too?

While i'm not saying it's your memory, before you go buying some more at least run a test with memtest86. It's the definitive test for memory.

By the way Kmarion safe mode doesn't prevent all viruses from running, I once saw some nasty shit at work that could run in safe mode. (managed to hide itself from task manager too) I found it via a mix of looking at the router traffic logs (spewing out spam) and getting rid of it via my special bartpe bootcd.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard