Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6669|USA
I'm curious. In America you can have stated on your liscence that when you die, your organs go to people who could use them who are still living. Do other countries have this option? And if your in the states are you an organ donor? Why or why not?

I myself am not. I want to leave this world with all my stuff still attached. SOme say that's selfish of me but I may change it one day. Right now though, I think I want all my parts with me when Im in the ground.

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-02-16 06:30:56)

^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6745|The Hague, Netherlands

we have the same, goverment was really advertising with it not that long ago,

I myself am not a donor, the idea of getting your organs removed.... hmm no for me at this moment, may change one day.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6613|Parainen, Finland
Same here, but I donĀ“t think that no doctor will accept my organs...
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6496|Gogledd Cymru

same in the UK but im only 16 so ....
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6429|San Antonio, TX
I have elected to be an organ donor... I've even informed my wife that I want to donate them.

My reasoning is this... we all have people we care about.  If one of them were to fall ill and need a transplant, we would do anything we could to make it happen for them.  Just imagine there's some family out there waiting for a heart, liver or kidney for their child, or one of the parents.  In my death if I can extend someones life no matter for how miniscule an amount of time, I've done all I could to make this world a better place.

As an aside... I am also on the national marrow donor registry, and I am a consistent platelet donor (no they don't pay for it).  I go to the blood center once or twice a month, sit for about 1.5 hours, watch a movie, they take my blood, strip the platelets and then they return the rest with a saline solution added.  It's the same line of thought, they are using my platelets for someone with either a serious wound, or a cancer/transplant patient.  My little sacrifice is giving someone a little more time with the ones they love.

The blood bank doesn't even take my blood anymore, I'm A+, which is the most commone type.  If they take my blood they can only get 1 unit of blood and one unit of platelets.  If they take platelets only, they can take three units.  I started going steady after 9/11.  I'm up to almost 17 GALLONS in just over 5 years.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6669|USA

silo1180 wrote:

I have elected to be an organ donor... I've even informed my wife that I want to donate them.

My reasoning is this... we all have people we care about.  If one of them were to fall ill and need a transplant, we would do anything we could to make it happen for them.  Just imagine there's some family out there waiting for a heart, liver or kidney for their child, or one of the parents.  In my death if I can extend someones life no matter for how miniscule an amount of time, I've done all I could to make this world a better place.

As an aside... I am also on the national marrow donor registry, and I am a consistent platelet donor (no they don't pay for it).  I go to the blood center once or twice a month, sit for about 1.5 hours, watch a movie, they take my blood, strip the platelets and then they return the rest with a saline solution added.  It's the same line of thought, they are using my platelets for someone with either a serious wound, or a cancer/transplant patient.  My little sacrifice is giving someone a little more time with the ones they love.

The blood bank doesn't even take my blood anymore, I'm A+, which is the most commone type.  If they take my blood they can only get 1 unit of blood and one unit of platelets.  If they take platelets only, they can take three units.  I started going steady after 9/11.  I'm up to almost 17 GALLONS in just over 5 years.
Well said.
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6403|Indianapolis, IN
You do know if you die of unnatural causes they remove most of your body parts during the autopsy/embalming process, right? Your brain, heart, liver kidney's, eyes etc are removed. Anyways I am not a Donor, I really don't have a reason why.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6836
I saw some documetary, I think it was a Mark Thomas one about some country that has a system of everyone's an organ donor, but you can get a non-donor card if you want to. Seems like a much better idea to me.

Uk has a voluntary organ donor card system.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

I'm curious. In America you can have stated on your liscence that when you die, your organs go to people who could use them who are still living. Do other countries have this option? And if your in the states are you an organ donor? Why or why not?

I myself am not. I want to leave this world with all my stuff still attached. SOme say that's selfish of me but I may change it one day. Right now though, I think I want all my parts with me when Im in the ground.
The problem in the U.S. is that unless you specify " No reasearch " your body will be sliced up and used as a training aid for medical students.
Lost Hope
Lurker
+20|6334|Brussels, Belgium
I'm an organ donor, in Belgium the law says that everyone is a donor unless they didn't want to and told their family.

But medics will always ask the family, so being an organ donor allows them to avoid it and act faster.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/9c9f8f6ff3579a4c711aa54bbb9e928ec0786003.png
chittydog
less busy
+586|6842|Kubra, Damn it!

silo1180 wrote:

The blood bank doesn't even take my blood anymore, I'm A+, which is the most commone type.
First of all, I salute your efforts. +1 is on the way. However, I'm pretty sure that O+ is the most common. I'm also A+ and the blood banks call me constantly because they are short on it. Regardless, good job man!

To all of you who don't donate out there, hopefully you'll change your minds. Those organs aren't doing crap for you once you're dead. If you're religious, then your soul/spirit isn't material and you don't need organs. If you're not, then let them distribute your leftover meat to those in need.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by chittydog (2007-02-16 08:45:30)

Shopvac
If it doesn't say shop-vac keep shopping!
+25|6546|Grand Rapids, MI
I'm a donor. I would concur with a lot of what Silo wrote. I just put myself in the shoes of the people who need those organs. If I were them I would be beside myself with frustration that all these people were dead and dying, and if they had just elected to donate, my loved one would not have to join them.

At first I put down "all organs for transplant minus cornea." The cornea thing freaked me out, but then I thought some more about it and decided "seriously, what the fcuk will I care?" I'll be dead!

Any way, for those of you who are young remember that your organs are the best for transplant. They have a better potential for lasting the longest in the recipient.

Also, PLEASE if you are going to donate. Tell as many family members as you can. Sometimes we don't know who the hospital will be able to contact. This way no matter who they reach first they can pass on your wishes.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina
I think being a donor is very honorable, but I'm not one myself.  I've heard too many horror stories concerning how donors supposedly are a lower priority when it comes to keeping them alive.  There have been a number of cases where it seems like the person involved is valued more for their organs than their livelihood.

I suppose you could say that I just don't trust the medical industry much.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6708|Little Rock, Arkansas

ATG wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

The problem in the U.S. is that unless you specify " No reasearch " your body will be sliced up and used as a training aid for medical students.
Not true in the least. Those people who chose to donate their organs (including myself) do just that. Immeadiate transplant for those organs that need it, deferred for those that don't. You can even specifiy which organs you want to donate and which you want to keep.

If you specifically elect to donate your body to science, that's a whole other ballgame. First of all, bodies that are donated to science (ie medical schools) are never candidates for organ transplantation. Second, a body that goes to science is not coordinated through UNOS like organs are.

I've got paper that says if they can take my living organs for transplant, then that's what I want. If not, I want my body donated to a medical school (that I've selected and have filled out paperwork with). The school will pay for my funeral after my death, a wake, cremation after they're done with me, and a memorial service for my ashes.

All in all, a pretty good deal.

I figure I don't need my organs after I'm dead. I might as well give the gift of continued life to a few others who need it.

Turquoise wrote:

I think being a donor is very honorable, but I'm not one myself.  I've heard too many horror stories concerning how donors supposedly are a lower priority when it comes to keeping them alive.  There have been a number of cases where it seems like the person involved is valued more for their organs than their livelihood.

I suppose you could say that I just don't trust the medical industry much.
1. Anecdote is not the plural of data. Anecdote from the internet is not even true.

I swear, you people and your paranoia. Do you really think that the man is out to get you? Docs work to keep every person alive, no matter what their donor status, insurance status, etc. is.

Hell, if nothing else, remember that dead people can't donate organs.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

blisteringsilence wrote:

I swear, you people and your paranoia. Do you really think that the man is out to get you? Docs work to keep every person alive, no matter what their donor status, insurance status, etc. is.

What's more paranoid?  Me believing that a lucrative organ trade exists on the black market, or that I really should fear for my life everytime I see a Muslim saying prayers at an airport.  If you think I'm paranoid, try the general public.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6723|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I would be a donor if I could, but sadly since one of my organs (pancreas) is fucked five ways to friday (I'm diabetic), I can't.  Hell, I can't even dontate blood.  I agree with silo on the since I'm dead and I'm not using them, I might as well contribute to the better of society philosophy.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6743|Salt Lake City

I'm a donor.  Had them put it on my license when I was 16.  If I'm dead, what do I care.  If my body parts can help some one else, then they can have at it.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6578|USA
yes, i am. I'm 16 too, if that changes anything.

why?

because somewhere, when i die, is going to be some child who got shot in a hit and run who desperately needs a new lung or kidney or stomach or liver or whatever in order to survive, and i'll have no use for them anymore.

i don't need even more of me rotting in the ground. its kind of like immortality. if he becomes an organ donor too, and that heart or whatever i gave him gets donated to somebody else, well, hey, guess what? my DNA and cells have just lived three generations.
kilgoretrout
+53|6477|Little Rock, AR

Turquoise wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

What's more paranoid?  Me believing that a lucrative organ trade exists on the black market, or that I really should fear for my life everytime I see a Muslim saying prayers at an airport.  If you think I'm paranoid, try the general public.
What does the lucrative trade on the black market have to do with anything?  Do you honestly think that doctors are going to let you die so that someone on the black market can sell your organs?  That's really far fetched...
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6374|Columbus, Ohio
I am.  Feel sorry for the poor bastard who gets my liver.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6708|Little Rock, Arkansas

Turquoise wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

Dude, organs removed at hospitals in the US never see the black market. Is there a black market in organs? You bet your ass there is. Is it in this country? Nope.

Now, cadaver parts, I might agree with you. Not organs though.
Pw.Sultan
+15|6485|NC
actually there is one.. classmate of mine did quite a bit research on it for a senior speach..  its very limited inside the united states.. a bit worse in some other countries
I am a donor caus i hadnt really ever thought about it and just said sure what the hell when i was 16.. might aswell help someone but i dont really like the thought of my organs being chopped out
kilgoretrout
+53|6477|Little Rock, AR

Pw.Sultan wrote:

but i dont really like the thought of my organs being chopped out
Why?  You'll be dead.  You won't look any different at your funeral, even if you have an open casket.
answer71
+3|6687|Canada
I chose to be an organ donor (Canada).

Reason: I really can't think of a reason NOT to donate...I won't be needing them anymore. They may not want my liver tho'....destroying that as I type...lol...mmmm ...beeeerrr
TodErnst
It's not a bug, it's a feature
+38|6635|Muenster, Germany
Here in Germany we can get a small paper card, where we can write our name etc. on and if we want to donate our organs or not.
Bad English, but i think you know what i mean.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard