LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6717|Charlie One Alpha
[disclaimer]
First of all, since the forums are finally back up I know everyone is just dying to scream 'SEARCH' again, so I'll say up front that I have not succeeded in finding a thread that deals with this subject in this particular way.

So, speed limits. What are the speed limits in your country, and do you hate em or what?
I seem to have heard that the limit on freeways in the US is 65 m/ph which is about 104 km/h, and that seems HORRIBLY slow to me. Doesn't that drive you Americans crazy?

The limit on freeways is 120 km/h here (75 m/ph) in The Netherlands and some people stick to it, others only go about 100 on the freeway (somebody kill these people) and then there's people like me who go a little faster than the limit, but not too much (say 130-140). Of course there's always the speeding maniacs doing 200.

And urban areas, how are your speed limits there? We've got two variaties, 50 km/h (most common) and 30 km/h (these suck).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
YXAndyYX
tank/plane/helo wh0ring since 2005
+8|6737|good old europe

No fooking speed limits on our freeways ... so i usually drive around 160 km/h (100 mph) ...

Last edited by YXAndyYX (2007-02-14 05:46:02)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

What if u hit a bunny rabbit!  Still, in urban areas, obey the limit for a reason, I dont know about u but I couldnt handle the guilt of hitting some todler at 60mph in an urban street.  The limit is there for a reason, its not purely to anoy us, you get a lot of safety nuts around but in residential areas and the like, the limit doesnt suck, its common sence.

Motorway is a bit different, but then I wouldnt feel completly safe with all u boy racers charging past me at 100mph all day long :S

Martyn
Recoil555
A God Amongst Men
+26|6460|UK
70 mph in England on the motorway and mostly people must go above that to over take in the fast lane and in villages 30 mph limit but its not too bad i mean its more traffic that slows you down.

Plus you hit child at 30 miles an hour these an 80 % chance they'll live and above that its an 80 % chance they wont you do the math.

Last edited by Recoil555 (2007-02-14 06:38:58)

hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6396|USA, MICHIGAN
65 - 70 in MICHIGAN, USA.  but i usually do 10 over, even in a 55 mph.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6828|Belgium

CountryAutomobiles & Motorcycles
Within TownsOutside of Built-Up Areas/ExpresswaysMotorways
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Flag_of_Iceland.svg/22px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.pngIceland509080

source: Speed_limit

Hahaha... Be careful on the motorway, and take it slower than on the Expressway... (yes I do know it is been explained on the wikipedia page, but still it is hilarious

/on topic: Belgium the law says the speed limit is 120 km/h on the motorways; but they will only fine you over a 6% tolerance. Thus I; like most drive 130. When the roads aren't jammed, but that will change shortly with the new boycott Belgium thing from the Netherlands; I am really looking forward to this

edit:
Concerning the Urban regions; I follow the rules very strictly
In normal conditions The breaking distance is for the following speed:
30 km/h => 17.6m
50 km/h => 34.9m

Double the amount of distance you require to stop your car. Personally my greatest fear in a car isn't to crash or have an accident or... It is hitting child and be the cause of the gravest thing in life, loosing a child. I know how I was when I was a child and cars weren’t my greatest concern. Now that I am in the car; children are my greatest concern! So, I respect the urban speed limits, because they have a darn good reason for being there.

Sorry to start preaching here, but I feel that often people underestimate the consequences of their velocity while being in a solid object of hundreds of kilos.

Cheers,
R
jsnipy
+3,276|6530|...

55/65 on US I95 in Virgina, but the pace is well above that that 80s and some go into the 90's with your occasional 100+er.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-02-14 07:14:27)

krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6787|Great Brown North
110 km/h on the highway, though i usualy do 120 and no cops have bothered me yet, and some have even waved as they passed me lol
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6644|Wigan. Manchester. England.

Recoil555 wrote:

70 mph in England on the motorway and mostly people must go above that to over take in the fast lane and in villages 30 mph limit but its not too bad i mean its more traffic that slows you down.

Plus you hit child at 30 miles an hour these an 80 % chance they'll live and above that its an 80 % chance they wont you do the math.
To be honest are speed limits arnt too bad, unless you are in a real rush then its a different matter
euroweasel
+7|6509|S. Devon
Speed Limit...!         

Sorry old boy don't understand your banter.

30mph in urban yeh. But the open road...................
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6764|Hell, p.o box 666

German highways 130 km/h, some without speed limits (hell yeah)... In cities it´s 50 km/h, some streets 30 km/h.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6584|Arlen, Texas

hate&discontent wrote:

65 - 70 in MICHIGAN, USA.  but i usually do 10 over, even in a 55 mph.
Till a deer runs out in front of you......70 to 0 in 3.4 seconds. Antlered bastards.
Glennwood_Quagmire
+3|6834
Highest allowed speed limit in some states in the US is 75MPH, the limits very state to state and states are allowed to choose their own. At one point Montana had NO DAYTIME SPEED LIMITS, Safe and Purdent was the law, then people started shipping there Ferrari's and Lambo's out there and the state put a stop to it.

May 2005, 31 states had raised speed limits to 70 mph or higher on some portion of their roadway systems.

SPEED LIMITS BY STATE;
http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/spe … _laws.html

INFO ON SAPE AND PRUDENT;
http://www.motorists.com/pressreleases/montana.html

GQ
YXAndyYX
tank/plane/helo wh0ring since 2005
+8|6737|good old europe

Sl4y3r wrote:

German highways 130 km/h
It's more a recommendation than a limit ...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard