Greenboi
+14|6369
hey all, im having a problem with my new ram

I have the Dual-vsta motherboard, C2D E6300, and XP home, with a 7800GS OC gpu

Yesterday i put in new ram, 2gb ddr2 667mhz to replace my older ram, ddr1 400mhz 1gig...and now i get WORSE performance

My 3dmark 05 result has gone down from 6700, to 6400...if anything it should have gone up!

BF2 has a problem with it also, as with 1gig i could run on max with a little stutter to begin with but then when it sorted itself out, i was on 70fps....now when i max the graphics with this new ram, i get like 40fps tops...

CPU-Z says that the ram is operating at 199mhz instead of 667!! what the hell!!

I have tried everything in the bios, and i have no idea what im missing...does it sound like dodgey ram? or is it my motherboard (P.S my friend had the same speed ram in the same mobo and he said his worked fine..)

Please help me out!
claor
+39|6416|Australia
wait.... you put DDR2 RAM in a DDR1 mobo  or... you had DDR1 RAM in a DDR2 mobo .......how does that even work... =/
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
775Dual-VSTA
LGA 775 for Intel® Core™ 2 Duo/ Pentium® XE / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D processors
VIA® PT880 Pro/Ultra Chipset
Supports FSB1066/800/533MHz processor, EM64T CPU and H-T Technology
Supports Dual Channel DDRII667 (DDRII x 2 DIMMs) and DDR400 (DDR x 2 DIMMs)
Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed AGP/PCIE/ PCI Buses
1 x PCI Express Graphics slot
1 x AGP 8X slot
Hybrid Booster - Safe Overclocking Technology
2 ports of SerialATA 1.5Gb/s, support RAID 0, 1, JBOD, 2 ATA133 IDE ports
HDMI_SPDIF header, providing SPDIF audio output to HDMI VGA card, allows the system to connect HDMI Digital TV/projector/LCD devices.
7.1 channel with High Definition Audio, 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Supports all features in Vista™ Premium
HD 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports, HD 7.1 channel audio jacks
claor
+39|6416|Australia
ah k..... i googled the board but couldent find anything......
claor
+39|6416|Australia
did you take your old RAM out.. if so   overclock your RAM
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
Silly question but your not running both together and you have it on the yellow slots?? in your BIOS memory freq needs to be set to auto
Greenboi
+14|6369
nah i took the old 1gig out, only running the new ddr2 stuff now.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
Infor from Asrock

Answer:Please refer to following steps to fix this problem.
Please set the "DRAM Frequency" as "[333MHz (DDRII 667)]" in BIOS setup if you use DDRII 667 RAM. (BIOS/ Advanced/ Chipset Configuration/ DRAM Frequency)

Please enable the "Flexibility Option" in BIOS setup if you use DDRII 533 RAM. (BIOS/ Advanced/ Chipset Configuration/ Flexibility Option)

If the problem still remains, please update the BIOS to P1.80 or later version.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?M … -VSTA#bios

any good??
Greenboi
+14|6369
Done all of that, i had it set to [333mhz (DDRII 667)] and the flexibility option enabled and the frequencxy wasnt even showing in CPU-Z

I now have it set to Auto and flex on, and it says in the newer CPU-Z its at 260mhz, while the older (1.33) CPU-z says its at 560mhz...
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
Ok you might have a dodgy stick of ram....take em both out and try individually benching them...
Greenboi
+14|6369
Just tried it, no luck, they both give the same readings.

Managed to get the timings to the correct ones (3,3,3,12, instead of 5,5,5,15..)

Think its time for RMA? Ive emailed asrock asking if its a compatability issue
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
Sorry not helped ....but if you RMA them you could change em for 2 gig DDR 400 ...you will notice a difference with the extra gig
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6548|Doncaster, UK
Could it be a problem with one of the DDR2 slots?

Showing my ignorance now, but can you put a stick in one slot and benchmark it, and then move the same stick to the other slot and see if it makes a difference?
Greenboi
+14|6369
im gonna change it for 2gig of the stuff my mate has, he ran it in the same mobo i have and it ran great, it just sucks that im getting worse performance with 2gig ddr2 than one gig ddr1! +1 for your help though
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6548|Doncaster, UK
Hold up, you haven't actually identified whether it's the RAM or motherboard at fault from what I can see. If you RMA the DDR2 RAM and it's the board at fault you're just gonna get the same problem again surely.

Is your friend's RAM DDR2? If so, can you try his RAM in your board?

Last edited by DoctorFruitloop (2007-02-08 04:51:42)

Greenboi
+14|6369

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Hold up, you haven't actually identified whether it's the RAM or motherboard at fault from what I can see. If you RMA the DDR2 RAM and it's the board at fault you're just gonna get the same problem again surely.

Is your friend's RAM DDR2? If so, can you try his RAM in your board?
Thats a good point...i think ill take my ram to his if he is in and try my ram in his board...if its showing the freq's right, its my board, if it shows them wrong, ill RMA the ram.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6551|EUtopia | Austria
Lil'me thinks that ASRock boards are crap and that your board is actually faulty.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6548|Doncaster, UK
Lil'me thinks you ought to back that up with something rather than just making a brought statement.

That's like me saying "Lil'me thinks all Austrians are psychopathic dictators".

Try to add something constructive to the conversation or don't bother posting.

Last edited by DoctorFruitloop (2007-02-08 05:21:31)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
Well I have 3 Asrock boards and never had a problem with any of them  (Asrock is  the budget arm of ASUS)

Damn useful for making your hardware last longer.... AGP and PCIe on the same board .. DDR2 and DDR .. basically they allow you to upgrade as you go along without having to start from scratch...bloody good business model if ask me...but hey ..thats an opinion..!!
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6548|Doncaster, UK
I've been looking at this board myself as it would allow me to break into the Core 2 Duo region without having to upgrade eveything in one go.

"Lil'me" thinks it's time to persuade my good lady wife.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
Greenboi
+14|6369
I tried it in my friends computer (who is running OCZ gold ddr2) and it wouldnt even boot...

Time to RMA

Gonna get the same stuff as him
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6551|EUtopia | Austria

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Lil'me thinks you ought to back that up with something rather than just making a brought statement.
That's like me saying "Lil'me thinks all Austrians are psychopathic dictators".
Well, this comparison is very inappropriate - hardware does never feel offended.
Also, I have to say that I know two hardware merchants who refuse to sell any ASRock boards to customers 'cause they had more than an average count on RMAs from ASRock boards and the effort they may cause isn't really worth the price difference.

But as he's tried out the RAM on another board already, there might really be some incompatibility (which would amaze me, still the PC booted anyway) or some broken RAM.

However, dear OP, I'd also suggest to try that friend's RAM on YOUR board before ordering it. (My constructive effort.)
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6643|Deep In The South Of Texas

Greenboi wrote:

Done all of that, i had it set to [333mhz (DDRII 667)] and the flexibility option enabled and the frequencxy wasnt even showing in CPU-Z

I now have it set to Auto and flex on, and it says in the newer CPU-Z its at 260mhz, while the older (1.33) CPU-z says its at 560mhz...
It says to use Flexibility when using 533MHz RAM, try turning it off, set speed to 333 and see.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6625|Camp XRay

first thing would be to talk to whitefusion, he is the most knowledgeable person around here on ram issues.

also have you tried using this tool
https://www.kctools.com.au/images/TOOLS/TOOL%20JPEGS/TOOL%20JPEGS%20INC%20DESCRIPTION/10307%20CROWNED%20FACE%20HAMMER.jpg
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard