Macca
Cylons' my kinda frak
+72|6489|Australia.
Call me naive, stupid even. But I can't think of any better a death than dying for my Country.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6605
I can.  But then, I'm not really a fan of patriotism as compared to humanitarianism.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

Bubbalo wrote:

I can.  But then, I'm not really a fan of patriotism as compared to humanitarianism.
We call that "being a pussy" where I come from.
nonexistentusmc
+26|6489|Queens, NYC
Living gets you killed. Risks are everywhere, not just in the military. And DEATH IS CERTAIN. No matter what you do, everyone dies sooner or later. I can't stand these people that always whine that being in the Armed Forces gets you killed right away. Sure your chances of dying are probably increased, but that's no different than walking into a gun-totting gang infested neighborhood.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

TigerXtrm wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Depends.  When you are 0351 you either get put in an infantry company, or a weapons company.  If you are in a weapons company, you get to use the TOW in the hummer.  If you are in an infantry company, as I was was, you get the SMAW or recently the Javelin and are put right next to the rifleman.

Weapons company..
http://www.army-technology.com/projects … s/tow7.jpg

Infantry Company..
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … 288213.jpg
Your silence is golden Tiger.
Actually I was sleeping. But thanks for the explanation, very insightful:).
I can't tell whether you were being a smart ass or not with your original statements.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6613|Portland, OR, USA

Macca wrote:

Call me naive, stupid even. But I can't think of any better a death than dying for my Country.
Call me naive, stupid even.  But does getting blown up by and IED in a country that doesn't even want you there count as dying for your country??

The way I see it, dying while defending your country makes you a hero (if your country is worth defending).  But dying while fighting as a pawn for an imperialistic government spreading "democracy" in a high stakes chess match is unfortunate.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Macca wrote:

Call me naive, stupid even.  But does getting blown up by and IED in a country that doesn't even want you there count as dying for your country??

The way I see it, dying while defending your country makes you a hero (if your country is worth defending).  But dying while fighting as a pawn for an imperialistic government spreading "democracy" in a high stakes chess match is unfortunate.
My goodness. Wow.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-10 14:50:28)

CommieChipmunk

usmarine2007 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Macca wrote:

My goodness. Wow.
Would you go to Iraq and sacrifice your life?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

CommieChipmunk wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

My goodness. Wow.
Would you go to Iraq and sacrifice your life?
I did go to Iraq.

Anyway, what I have seen men do in order to save the lives of their fellow Marines or Soldiers, is nothing short of heroic.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-10 14:58:46)

samfink
+31|6599
my own opinion is that all employers should be allowed to advertise on campus myself, not just the military. no,I don't intend on joining the military, but I'm not a hippy. it's just i don't think that i would be able to pull the trigger on someone else. which would make me a rubbish soldier. and as fro would a soldier go to Iraq, he doesn't have much of a choice. if a soldier is given an order to deploy to a country, he has to deploy. there is no choice in the matter, that's why they are called orders.
CommieChipmunk
k, well I said would you sacrifice your life for the war in Iraq (die)

and I never said anything about anything about the heroism of a Marine when he's trying to save his fellow soldiers life.  And society views dying in a war as heroic, I'm not saying it's not... I'm just saying that it's unfortunate that people are dying for nothing in Iraq right now.  We all know that democracy doesn't work in the middle east and as soon as we leave it'll spiral back into chaos...
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Going over there means you pretty much are.

To quote from Band of Brothers.....

"We’re all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there’s still hope. The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you’re already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you’ll be able to function as a soldier’s supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it. "
CommieChipmunk
Jesus, what a waste.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Jesus, what a waste.
I beg your pardon?
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6590|the best galaxy

usmarine2007 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

"We’re all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there’s still hope. The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you’re already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you’ll be able to function as a soldier’s supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it. "
This attitude gets You killed. In WW2 the religious ppl coped better because they had belief. Vietnam POWs didn't last long if they gave up. The jews in concentrationcamps lasted 2-3 days when they gave up (:started to smoke the cigarettes).
This attitude gets You killed. Stop it pls.
PS: I'm not liberal. I'm in the danish national guarde as infantryman (freetime soldier). Haven't served though.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6799|United States of America

Freke1 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

This attitude gets You killed. In WW2 the religious ppl coped better because they had belief. Vietnam POWs didn't last long if they gave up. The jews in concentrationcamps lasted 2-3 days when they gave up (:started to smoke the cigarettes).
This attitude gets You killed. Stop it pls.
PS: I'm not liberal. I'm in the danish national guarde as infantryman (freetime soldier). Haven't served though.
That attitude makes you fearless which is the point, and that would be Captain Spears I believe? Who didn't get wasted in WWII, but rather was the bravest of his men and would run straight through German lines, then run back the way he came. It may get him killed, but thinking about getting killed and trying to save yourself makes you no good to anyone.
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6590|the best galaxy
accepting death to become brave shouldn't be asked of anybody. In my opinion.
You loose the will to live and that's what keeps us alive.
It's not good for You but maybe for Your teams mission - true.
I don't think western military ask of their soldiers to accept to die?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
sneeky_fluff
+1|6542
The whole 'fearless soldier' debate is touched upon excellently in Joe Haldeman's book 'The forever war' based upon his experiences in Vietnam (while granted it's technically sci-fi, it does have some good social commentary included).

The problem I have with fearless soldiers is based upon the willingness to die in fighting against the enemy (I suppose an example could be the old spartan warriors), which while great for terror based assaults, efficency and moral damage, can lead to high casualty rates (on both sides). In a prolonged campaign, one can see this approach being wasteful of both people and resources to the point of it being detrimental to the war effort. I would much rather have a group of soldiers intent on staying alive as long as possible rather than willing to die causing a moderate amount of damage to an enemy force.

Going back on track, I do disagree with advertising within insitutions especially those dealing with teenagers or young adults (both military, anti military and corporate) on the principal that it appears to be a form of mild exploitation. While I respect those who willingly and of their own accord choose any path based upon doing their own research on the topic and following through, I pity those 'drafted' in so to speak by salesmen. As a result I would be inclined to prohibit all active advertising within these insitutions.
Regarding the whole 'the military gets you killed' line of reasoning put forward by the anti-war brigade, its nothing more than panic mongering done by those ignorant of the occupation. While not paticularly knowledgeable of the military myself, I do know that any insitution that large requires numerous administrative and support staff. These positions are vital to the operation and most likely are no more dangerous than filling these roles within a coorperation. Being in the military does not imply going into combat all the time.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6605

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Yes, I've heard your views on Nelson Mandella.
Tompie913
I like Chinese
+12|6427|Pittsburgh, PA
The military must be desperate, they're using video games as recruiting tools. Doesn't make me want to join though, I die too much
Commie Killer
+192|6430

Tompie913 wrote:

The military must be desperate, they're using video games as recruiting tools. Doesn't make me want to join though, I die too much
Really, well congrats, until I saw this post you ranked above Ikarti, now you are the biggest and dumbest tool Ive seen yet.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6716|Colorado

Bubbalo wrote:

A fan of humanitarianism eh? I knew my dislike stemmed from somewhere, thanks for making it clear to me now.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6449|North Carolina

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Most sensible people realize that humanitarian behavior is more necessary in this world than militarism.  Unfortunately, sensible people are rare.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6411|Columbus, Ohio

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Yes, I've heard your views on Nelson Mandella.
Have you?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard