Shopvac
If it doesn't say shop-vac keep shopping!
+25|6550|Grand Rapids, MI
So I'm reading this article about how screwed up a recent Marine Corp amphibious craft project is, and how the whole project is going to start all over again (delaying the acquisition date).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17015666/

And I'm also thinking about how I was hearing that a Chinook was shot down over Baghdad last night and I start wondering.

I wonder if anyone has an idea of how many lives we could have saved if the Pentagon had NOT scraped the US Army Comanche program. Does anyone have any information on any wouldbe critical failure prevention programs that would have been incorporated into the Comanche that are not a part of the current Apache Longbow (like the two that have been recently brought down by enemy fire)?

I just think it's sad that we're not doing EVERYTHING we can to keep our men and women safe. I think about how short a time it took to develop some of our most important weapon systems in the middle of World War Two, and how that sense of urgency doesn't seem to be there this time. Things are different when it's not your son or daughter out there getting shot at. I wish our politicians were more capable of taking their actions more seriously.

Any way, anyone who can comment on this will have my thanks.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6725|US
Congress does not give the military unlimited funding.  The military tries to get good equipment, but the acquisition process is very complicated...The XM-8 comes to mind.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6700|Fort Lewis WA

Shopvac wrote:

So I'm reading this article about how screwed up a recent Marine Corp amphibious craft project is, and how the whole project is going to start all over again (delaying the acquisition date).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17015666/

And I'm also thinking about how I was hearing that a Chinook was shot down over Baghdad last night and I start wondering.

I wonder if anyone has an idea of how many lives we could have saved if the Pentagon had NOT scraped the US Army Comanche program. Does anyone have any information on any wouldbe critical failure prevention programs that would have been incorporated into the Comanche that are not a part of the current Apache Longbow (like the two that have been recently brought down by enemy fire)?

I just think it's sad that we're not doing EVERYTHING we can to keep our men and women safe. I think about how short a time it took to develop some of our most important weapon systems in the middle of World War Two, and how that sense of urgency doesn't seem to be there this time. Things are different when it's not your son or daughter out there getting shot at. I wish our politicians were more capable of taking their actions more seriously.

Any way, anyone who can comment on this will have my thanks.
Between the Commanche program and the Crusader program getting nixed ground pounders like myself are fucked.  I wanted to see the Crusader make it cause I can see the benefits of having 6 rounds fired from one gun hit at the same time....All i gotta say if "fire for effect" and  "end of mission target destroyed"
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6700|Fort Lewis WA

RAIMIUS wrote:

Congress does not give the military unlimited funding.  The military tries to get good equipment, but the acquisition process is very complicated...The XM-8 comes to mind.
That weapon is not scraped.  They are finishing an appeal by Colt and some other weapon designer, there was a lawsuit about how the army didnt offer the other companies the time to design and test a new rifle, they went staight to h&k and asked them to design the new rifle.  So now the army got its hands slapped, and has to wait 2 more years to see what colt comes out with.
The XM8 might still come out.

Last edited by CannonFodder11b (2007-02-07 09:39:22)

jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.
Didn't they scrap it for the UAV(Saving pilots lives i might add)?
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6700|Fort Lewis WA

jord wrote:

Didn't they scrap it for the UAV(Saving pilots lives i might add)?
If your speaking of the Commanche, then no.
The commanche and the Crusader were the results of political hardball.  Congress was pissed.
The Commanche was like 100 million over its budget.  it was fine accept for the fact, the manufacturer kept wanting to add more lickies and chewies to it.  great bird, just a casualty of politics.

The Crusader was nixed the same time as the Commanche because congress felt we did not need a heavy piece of field artillery.  And like I said Congress was pretty damn pissed off at the military in general...which happens ever few years.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6355|Twyford, UK
The Commanche was a freaking stealth chopper; it's not needed in a bunch of police actions.

And, frankly, that reliability rate sounds akin to the Abrams in Iraq, which kept throwing tracks or busting wheels in the initial invasion.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6725|US
Well, when you try to go further and faster than ever done before, stuff happens.

Ah, the Comanche, $7 billion dollars of R&D, fancy working prototype, then it gets scrapped.  I was a little upset...such a waste.  Pretty much the same story for the Crusader.  Frankly, I'm surprised the Air Force didn't have the F-35 or F-22 taken away.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6580|United States
I like the old military motorcycles with the bucket seat attachment on the side. Talk about ownage on the battlefield.
iamangry
+59|6656|The United States of America
Now I personally prefer the air force (what? I'm majoring in aerospace, its going to be my livelihood!) but has anyone else noticed that the troops on the ground have been taking it in the butt from congress for some time now?  I mean, seriously.  Were building on things that were already 3 generations ahead of everyone else in, but remaining the same on the ground.  Aircraft carriers, naval and air based weapons systems all come to mind.  I mean, we've been using the same rifles for 40 years, we don't give our guys body armor, and at the start of the war the Humvees were being penetrated more often than a small white man in a federal penitentiary.  I mean, where's the battlesuits, the xray vision, the laser guns?  Why can't we be 3 generations ahead on the ground too?
~c4~cheppi
+29|6368|Forest Green

iamangry wrote:

Now I personally prefer the air force (what? I'm majoring in aerospace, its going to be my livelihood!) but has anyone else noticed that the troops on the ground have been taking it in the butt from congress for some time now?  I mean, seriously.  Were building on things that were already 3 generations ahead of everyone else in, but remaining the same on the ground.  Aircraft carriers, naval and air based weapons systems all come to mind.  I mean, we've been using the same rifles for 40 years, we don't give our guys body armor, and at the start of the war the Humvees were being penetrated more often than a small white man in a federal penitentiary.  I mean, where's the battlesuits, the xray vision, the laser guns?  Why can't we be 3 generations ahead on the ground too?
Yes all us other nations are flying round in biplanes, and using wooden battleships.

BTW whats body armour?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6405|The Gem Saloon
congress is a fucking joke. even now that dems have power they dont have a spine enough to do ANYTHING. none of them will take a stand, instead they let other people protect their rights so they can act like piles.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6399|USA, MICHIGAN
I agree with iamangry, the ships, tanks and aircraft we have are awesome, but the GRUNTS are being neglected, they need better body armor, and something better than the m-16 of variant of the m-16 for an assault rifle.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6700|Fort Lewis WA

hate&discontent wrote:

I agree with iamangry, the ships, tanks and aircraft we have are awesome, but the GRUNTS are being neglected, they need better body armor, and something better than the m-16 of variant of the m-16 for an assault rifle.
I love my  M4/4xACOG/harris bi-pod legs/AN-PEQ2A.  I would not trade them for anything.
The US body armor is great.  Much better then the Brits and the heart plate the have, be happy we carry full size plates, and side sapi.  Hell I compared our side sapi playtes with a british grunts....our side sapi is larger then they're front plate.  (and for you smart asses that want to say the class 3 ceramic plate is better then the US version you can choke on a "spotted cock" they are made by the same manufacturer. ( which came a complete surprise to me and I wouldnt be surprised to find out cheney,blair or bush owns the company)

Sure the weight of our body armor can drop about 10lbs, but with 10 30 round 5.56mm mags on my kit, camelback bladder shoved into my buttpack, 2 frags, and 3 smoke grenades....I'm fairly certain if i didnt carry more then the standard load I could cut 10lbs.  But its my weight to carry and I react to contact just fine with all that crap on...just for the love of god let me remove the groin protector,neck and throat protector, and i will be good to go

Last edited by CannonFodder11b (2007-02-07 16:59:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard