arson
+99|6638|New York
Besides cancer, it seems that smokers now can get another gift from smoking.  This particular brain damage however does seems to make it easier for some to quit "cold turkey." I have heard of some long term smokers who were able to just stop smoking all at once and now science has an answer for why, and its  damage of the  brain's insula.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st … 02,00.html

Interesting Health Effects of Cigarette Smoking
Fact sheet

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body; causing many diseases and reducing the health of smokers in general.1 The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 438,000 deaths, or nearly 1 of every 5 deaths, each year in the United States.2,3More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.2,4

Cancer

* Cancer is the second leading cause of death and was among the first diseases casually linked to smoking.1

* Smoking causes about 90% of lung cancer deaths in women and almost 80% of lung cancer deaths in men. The risk of dying from lung cancer is more than 23 times higher among men who smoke cigarettes, and about 13 times higher among women who smoke cigarettes compared with never smokers.1

* Smoking causes cancers of the bladder, oral cavity, pharynx, larynx (voice box), esophagus, cervix, kidney, lung, pancreas, and stomach, and causes acute myeloid leukemia1

* Rates of cancers related to cigarette smoking vary widely among members of racial/ethnic groups, but are generally highest in African-American men.5

Cardiovascular Disease (Heart and Circulatory System))

* Smoking causes coronary heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States.1 Cigarette smokers are 2–4 times more likely to develop coronary heart disease than nonsmokers.6

* Cigarette smoking approximately doubles a person’s risk for stroke.7,8

* Cigarette smoking causes reduced circulation by narrowing the blood vessels (arteries). Smokers are more than 10 times as likely as nonsmokers to develop peripheral vascular disease.9

* Smoking causes abdominal aortic aneurysm.1

Respiratory Disease and Other Effects

* Cigarette smoking is associated with a ten-fold increase in the risk of dying from chronic obstructive lung disease.7 About 90% of all deaths from chronic obstructive lung diseases are attributable to cigarette smoking.1

* Cigarette smoking has many adverse reproductive and early childhood effects, including an increased risk for infertility, preterm delivery, stillbirth, low birth weight, and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).1

* Post menopausal women who smoke have lower bone density than women who never smoked. Women who smoke have an increased risk for hip fracture than never smokers.10

References
   1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2004. Accessed: December 2006.

2. CDC. Annual smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and productivity losses—United States, 1997–2001.(PDF Image PDF - 225KB) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2005;54(25):625-628. Accessed: December 2006.

3. CDC. Health United States, 2006, With Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans. (PDF Image PDF - 119k) Hyattsville, MD: CDC, National Center for Health Statistics; 2003. Accessed: December 2006.

4. McGinnis J, Foege WH. Actual causes of death in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 1993;270:2207–2212.

5. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Tobacco Use Among U.S. Racial/Ethnic Minority Groups—African Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 1998. Accessed: December 2006.

6. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking — 25 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 1989. DHHS Pub. No. (CDC) 89-8411. Accessed: December 2006.

7. Novotny TE, Giovino GA. Tobacco use. In: Brownson RC, Remington PL, Davis JR (eds). Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Control. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association; 1998. p.117–148.

8. Ockene IS, Miller NH. Cigarette smoking, cardiovascular disease, and stroke: a statement for health care professionals from the American Heart Association. Journal of American Health Association 1997;96(9):3243–3247.

9. Fielding JE, Husten CG, Eriksen MP. Tobacco: health effects and control. In: Maxcy KF, Rosenau MJ, Last JM, Wallace RB, Doebbling BN (eds.). Public Health and Preventive Medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill;1998. p.817–845.

10. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2001. Accessed: December 2006.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Per hour: 0
Per day: 0
Per week: 0
Per month: 0
Per year: 0
Per decade: 0
Per life: 0
JonnyNuemonic
+22|6713|Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Well because of my job I guess you could say in an average tour of duty about half a container full....lol
BVC
+325|6697
None, smells disgusting and they never agree with me
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6807|The planet Tophet

PBAsydney wrote:

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

*TS*tphai wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

same here
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker

PBAsydney wrote:

Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6396|Evilsville
20 to 30 a day.
For the last 10 years.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6368|Columbus, Ohio

*TS*tphai wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51
Smokin' is bad, 'm'kay
Smokin can lead to all kinds of physical deceases, like cancer, m'kay
Cancer is bad m'kay -- South Park

And to answer your question:

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2007-01-26 07:14:33)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
None on a regular basis ever.

I have tried them before, as im sure every young teenagers has and will do. Didnt like them, so they can kiss my balls and burn
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker

Gillenator wrote:

20 to 30 a day.
For the last 10 years.
Daaaaaaamn.  Think of how much money you could have toward a sweet new ride, a house, or retirement.  What do those things cost for a carton now?
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6396|Evilsville
€3.80 per carton of 19 sigarettes.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6578|Arlen, Texas
Just because you can quit cold turkey is no indicator of brain damage. You can accomplish nearly anything if you put your mind to it (if it's not messed up)

Edit: I quit after 30 years, just had enough, had to get my mind right- no damage here (I hope!)

Last edited by Smaug (2007-01-26 07:44:06)

KungfuBeer
The King of Beers
+31|6731|SoCal
$47.00 per carton -> 1 carton per week.

$94 per month   

$2444 per year

Oh yeah, my wife smokes too, so double that.
arson
+99|6638|New York

Smaug wrote:

Just because you can quit cold turkey is no indicator of brain damage. You can accomplish nearly anything if you put your mind to it (if it's not messed up)
True, but this particular brain damage however does seems to make it easier for some to quit "cold turkey."
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6578|Arlen, Texas

Vilham wrote:

I have tried them before, as im sure every young teenagers has and will do. Didnt like them, so they can kiss my balls and burn
Wait a sec...burn what? (kinda close to the 'nads to be playing with fire!)
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
lol
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6396|Evilsville

KungfuBeer wrote:

$94 per month   

$2444 per year

Ehrm! 1 carton a week is $47.00. There are 4 weeks in a month.
Shouldn't it be like $188.00 a month then?
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6546|Sverige (SWE)
0 - Don´t smoke
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6550|EUtopia | Austria
Militant non-smoker here ;-)
arson
+99|6638|New York

Vilham wrote:

How much does that cost?  They would charge double for that here ...
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6794
Per life: 7

So far, in my life I've had seven smokes.  All were a mixture of tobacco and marijuana (weed/dope).  Add to that 6 straight MJ roll-ups.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6550|EUtopia | Austria

Gillenator wrote:

KungfuBeer wrote:

$94 per month   

$2444 per year

Ehrm! 1 carton a week is $47.00. There are 4 weeks in a month.
Shouldn't it be like $188.00 a month then?
Not that important, a year has 26 months as you can see.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6494|Connecticut
One pack per day. Its funny, the oldest woman in the world lives about 5 minutes from me in East Hartford Connecticut. She is 114 and when asked how she stayed so healthy she said "Smoking and drinking, I've doing it since I was twelve". ........................huh. We dont know what is going to kill us, a car wreck, a freak accident, cancer, old age or whatever. But I do know this we are all going to die so I am going to just live and not worry about whats going to kill me. Officials change their mind every decade abot what is bad and good for us.
Malloy must go

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard