02fxnmaurer
+75|6490|Birmingham UK
Basically my friend wants a pc to play some games on reasonably good gfx, hes found this and just wonderin is it any good can it run bf2

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ … mp;tm=null

lol dnt laff at the link, we all now pcworld are crap, anyways cheers in advance guys
Subliminal_Sub
+12|6562|Arizona
Yes that system would be fine to run BF2 at high lvl's .. but why a packard bell, hehe that went belly up here in the states.
sgt_mango333
+31|6660
Not bad for the price and I'm assuming price is the all important factor with what it can do a very close second.  My only beef with it is the ATI video card; I'm not a big fan of ATI.  Nvidia drivers are so much more reliable.  Other than that, I don't have any qualms with it.

BTW, +1 for you trying to help out your mate!
02fxnmaurer
+75|6490|Birmingham UK
my friend is a simple guy, he just wants the gaming as long as it aint rubbish i dont think he would mind spendin tht amout of money
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

02fxnmaurer wrote:

my friend is a simple guy, he just wants the gaming as long as it aint rubbish i dont think he would mind spendin tht amout of money
That's a poor video card. I'm not very familliar with ATI cards, but I think the X1600SE is just a budget GPU that doesn't have it's own proper video memory, but can use upto 512MB of system memory. I don't like the look of it.

Building it would be better.
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6378|Pittsburgh, PA USA
Build it. You'll get more than enough help from here plus if your one of those people that actually read instruction manuals those probablt help too.
Whatever you do just don't buy Alienware
I'm still kicking myself for not listening to these guys about building my own, especially now that I've replaced just about every single part in my pre-built computer.
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6658|Keyboard
Packard Bell still exists? I tought that they have already died in the 90´s.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6557|EUtopia | Austria
Yeah, the GFX card sucks. Everything with SE behind it sucks, basically

The only good thing with this system is the 19" ws if it's a good one, of course.
Yet, there's another problem, we nowhere see what kind of RAM they've used and what mobo... I don't like systems with unknown components anymore...

But the price is ok.

Edit: The GFX card won't do BF2 on high settings at a native resolution of that monitor. My 6600GT even beats an X1600Pro - now think of the SE... pff!

Last edited by Stormscythe (2007-01-23 12:33:04)

Mad Ad
+178|6519|England, UK
seconded, the 1600SE is a very poor card for gaming, more aimed at the HTPC crowd rather than gamers - it does have its own memory but when ati labels a card SE it means its only got a 64bit memory bus and on top of that, its only got something like 4 pipelines.

in plain english, its crap and would struggle with bf2

Last edited by Mad Ad (2007-01-23 12:42:27)

Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6443|UK
lol DDR RAM..

seems strange for it not to have DDR2 as thats newer

meh.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

It's alright, but I'd swap the GPU certainly, ATI's x1600 series arent exactly gaming cards.  Yet again I hate to say it but he could build a superior system hiself for around £500 (£20 for someone to do it for him), and hell no dont buy from PC world.

Martyn
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Mad Ad wrote:

seconded, the 1600SE is a very poor card for gaming, more aimed at the HTPC crowd rather than gamers - it does have its own memory but when ati labels a card SE it means its only got a 64bit memory bus and on top of that, its only got something like 4 pipelines.

in plain english, its crap and would struggle with bf2
It doesn't have 512MB of memory like they claim though, surely?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Zero!. wrote:

lol DDR RAM..

meh.
Does seem very strange. I didn't notice that.

Coming from someone who once owned a Packard Bell - don't buy it.
Mad Ad
+178|6519|England, UK
no it seems to have 256MB onboard according to some specs ive dug up, not much info about it tbh, im guessing it uses some kind of hypermemory system to grab the other 256MB from main memory - which is pointless anyway as a 4 pipe card with that much frame and texture data would be lucky to get 5 fps.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6490|Birmingham UK
lol karma for u all as i said its for my mate and not me, told him to build his own rig like i will be doing in next few weeks ,but insists on buyin from shop
spray_and_pray
+52|6499|Perth. Western Australia
X1600 is a crap card for the same price you can get a 7600GT which kills it.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6490|Birmingham UK
ASUS 256MB RADEON X1950PRO CF PCI-E wats about tht card ?
02fxnmaurer
+75|6490|Birmingham UK
any 1 ?
younggun
+28|6652

Zero!. wrote:

lol DDR RAM..

meh.
Besides the fact that there's nothing wrong with DDR Ram..? .....yeh thats hilarious? I don't quite get your point.

I would buy the comp then buy a 7600GT or better and you can run on all high.

Last edited by younggun (2007-01-29 17:06:01)

scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6645|Wigan. Manchester. England.
Besides the fact that DDR is gettin on. DDR2 is now.
younggun
+28|6652
I love how everyone thinks that just because something new has come out that the technology it "replaced" is obsolete.

Less than a year ago DDR was all anybody used. Hardly anybody had a dualcore processor.

Now DDR2 is here and its more mainstream and all of a sudden people think DDR sucks, when in reality its still good. Same thing with processors, now everybody thinks that 2 cores isn't good enough to do a job we used to do with only a single core. You think 4 cores is necessary and 2 cores aren't enough just because the technology is here.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6800

02fxnmaurer wrote:

lol karma for u all as i said its for my mate and not me, told him to build his own rig like i will be doing in next few weeks ,but insists on buyin from shop
If he insists on buying from a shop, i.e. prebuilt not self-build, there's much better options than going for PCWorld.  For example:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … =FS-029-OK
http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.as … KEY=114571

@younggun: who has said 4 cores is necessary?  I've yet to see a single review that thinks they are useful, let alone necessary.
claor
+39|6422|Australia

02fxnmaurer wrote:

ASUS 256MB RADEON X1950PRO CF PCI-E wats about tht card ?
goood.
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6353|Cali
eww
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6378|Pittsburgh, PA USA

younggun wrote:

Besides the fact that there's nothing wrong with DDR Ram..? .....yeh thats hilarious? I don't quite get your point.

I would buy the comp then buy a 7600GT or better and you can run on all high.
I don't think anyone said DDR sucks but if there is something better than it why wouldn't you want what's better?

MagikTrik's Point wrote:

K, were gonna send you to war with armor, alright? But even though kevlar (and soon to be Dragon Skin) is better, mesh armor still works so that's what you get, k?

Last edited by MagikTrik (2007-01-29 22:29:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard