asmodai
+0|6820|The Netherlands
So I love to play a sniper (when not assuming medic or engineer or any other vital function the team needs at the moment, above all I am a teamplayer).  My first weapon unlock was of course the sniper's.

I love the sniper role and I make it double as a 'spotter' class, pointing out enemies.  What kind of frustrates me is the accuracy.  It is getting better/I am getting better, but is it me or does the M95 seem 'off' at times?  When I clearly aim for someone's head and pull the trigger I either seem to miss or doing only a bit of damage.

Even when pumping into the body I sometimes shoot my clip empty and the enemy still lives.

Or do I just suck?
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6834|Bryan/College Station, TX
Thanks to a recent post I saw on the accurate stats of weapons.
Which I reposted here: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=549

The damage of the sniper rifle is a base damage. Distance to target, where you hit the target and also if the target is wearing body armor all factors into the damage at the hit. So it is very possible to not be doing as much damage as you think you are doing on a target. Hence not killing your target in one hit even with a headshot.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6828|A Small Isle in the Tropics

i m experiencing the same problem using the M95, terribly inaccurate somehow. a friend of mine said the L85A1 makes a better and more accurate sniping weapon on BF2.. no clue, any opinions?
BoDGie
+0|6837|Australia

mikeshw wrote:

i m experiencing the same problem using the M95, terribly inaccurate somehow. a friend of mine said the L85A1 makes a better and more accurate sniping weapon on BF2.. no clue, any opinions?
Absolutly true. I mean I love the sniper and I love sniping - but Medic is my main class so I unlocked the L85A1 first.. and well, it is a better "sniper riffle" than the actual sniper rifles haha..
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6824

BoDGie wrote:

mikeshw wrote:

Absolutly true. I mean I love the sniper and I love sniping - but Medic is my main class so I unlocked the L85A1 first.. and well, it is a better "sniper riffle" than the actual sniper rifles haha..
Agreed.
when all the weapons were unlocked, I used the M95... and I didn't like it. I hit a guy in the head atleast 3 times and did nothing. I do like how you can snipe out of cockpits though. IF you can hit them.. lol.
Oh yeah, I have the Medic unlock.

Last edited by =[4th]=SlayThem (2005-08-16 05:50:08)

PermaG
+1|6837
How about hese big bad sniper rifles and thier big bad ability to only have ONE level of zoom?
priznat
+0|6838
Remember that the sniper rifles definitely have bullet "drop" over distances.. gotta aim up a little bit, takes some practice but you'll be headshotting like a pro in no time.

Personally I prefer the M24 to the M95 even.. not quite as loud and distinctive for one, and you can get one shot kills almost as easily..
[A-51]-.Bond
+1|6831
L85 all the way , I make more headshots and sniping kills with the L85 then I do with sniper rifles, and plus, if someone gets in close turn on auto and put it to em.
asmodai
+0|6820|The Netherlands

PermaG wrote:

How about hese big bad sniper rifles and thier big bad ability to only have ONE level of zoom?
Yea, I would have expected the zoom to be a tad more, well, "zoomy", as how many optical zooms for rifles work.

The Barrett M95 (http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm) has 10X optical zoom.  Wasn't aware it is a follow-up to the M82A1 series, which includes the CounterStrike famous "bullpup" (M82A2).
asmodai
+0|6820|The Netherlands

priznat wrote:

Remember that the sniper rifles definitely have bullet "drop" over distances.. gotta aim up a little bit, takes some practice but you'll be headshotting like a pro in no time.
I was reading up a bit on optical zooms and yeah, I noticed most of these have bullet drop marks for specific ranges.

priznat wrote:

Personally I prefer the M24 to the M95 even.. not quite as loud and distinctive for one, and you can get one shot kills almost as easily..
Given the recoil of the M95 I wouldn't expected the bullet drop to be so much as it seems.

I already managed to bump my accuracy up from 25% to 37% in the last day/two days thankfully.  Time to try it some more.  Mashtuur's ideal for this.  Just wish DICE would create some more official urban maps.  On some of the maps being sniper doesn't add a tremendous amount of tactical importance sinec almost everyone is driving APCs or tanks.

Last edited by asmodai (2005-08-17 03:51:42)

BudRell
+2|6828|Home
I have dropped some attack helicopters (driver hit), 4 times that small jet (thru bottom, driver hit) and transport copter twice (driver hit). You can do those only with M95 if we are talking about handguns. It goes thru walls and those light armoured cars too. Try to shoot at the engine of some Jeep....it must hit the engine..

With M95 if you have crosshair on right mark and you press the trigger the recoil does not affect the hit. It affects the next aim only. And yes...you must use the distance scale. I have tested the real "rifle" too and the one in the game is quite similar.

The idea of that rifle is that you shoot only one "bullet" per target and if you master the aiming the shot is always deadly. It's .50 cal so it's not like other rifles in the game.

In real life the bullet gives HUGE impact on target, even if it didn't hit straight on aiming point. No matter if you have the most heavy vest on you...you die.
But theres one other thing too. Because of the size of the bullet it becomes "unstable" after some distance. Sometimes it does not fly like an arrow if you shoot from 2000m. It becomes a sort of a "propeller". And everyone can imagine what happens to target if a propelled .50 ammo can do...it would rip your head off...

And...you never shoot more than one shot from the same place...and you ALWAYS have your wingman to assist you.

P.S. About 2000m is the distance of confirmed "drop" for M95. The victim did not jump anymore..
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

2000m is a heck of a distance.. thats 2km.

as a sniper, always move about, cos they come hunting for you..important to know.
maltese_pidgeon
Bleeder
+2|6828|Sunnyvale, CA

mikeshw wrote:

as a sniper, always move about, cos they come hunting for you..important to know.
yep, esp. after you nail a couple of them. It's important to displace every once in a while anyways, so they can never figure out which the direction the shots are coming from.

also, remember that a snipers worst enemy is another sniper, so make sure to watch out for them.

one more thing, i would like to point out that a medic w/ L85A1 makes an excellent complement to a sniper on a rooftop.

happy hunting
- pidgeon
BudRell
+2|6828|Home

mikeshw wrote:

2000m is a heck of a distance.. thats 2km.

That's why REAL sniper team never pops more than one target from one point. Then they leave...quickly...if they can.

When I have played as sniper I always try to position so that I can see the most of the map. With M95 it's possible to  shoot VERY long distances and I repeat...IF your aim is good it takes only 1 projectile to drop a man.

LÅL...last night I shot one attack copter down from 10m when it came to take our flag...Hahhahahah
It's really hilarious to read the comments after that . Hihihihihih..

P.S. 2000m IS certainly a long distance but there's one benefit in ultralong distances. It's impossible to locate where the bullet came from.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6834|Bryan/College Station, TX
There is only one good reason to unlock the M95. To replace the MEC and PLA sniper rifles when you are on those teams. I have not noticed any real change between the M24 and the M95.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6821|USA! USA! USA!

asmodai wrote:

PermaG wrote:

Yea, I would have expected the zoom to be a tad more, well, "zoomy", as how many optical zooms for rifles work.

The Barrett M95 (http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm) has 10X optical zoom.  Wasn't aware it is a follow-up to the M82A1 series, which includes the CounterStrike famous "bullpup" (M82A2).
Maybe they were going for realism?  The M24 uses a M3A scope, by Leupold.  Here is everything and more that you wanted to know about it:

Product Specifications
Actual Magnification: 10.0
Length (in): 13.10
Eyepiece Length (in): 2.70
Objective Length (in): 4.38
Objective Diameter (in): 1.96
Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.68
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Weight: 21.0 oz. / 595 grams
Eye Relief (in): 3.4
Eye Relief (mm): 86
Obj. Lens Diameter: 1.6in / 40mm
Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 75(e) 52(w)
Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm): 200(e) 144(w)
FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 11.1
FOV @ 100 m (m): 3.7

If you want to know what something means, ask and I shall answer.  There is a NVG scope for it too, but since this game only takes place during the day with great weather it wouldn't be useful.

EDIT:  Also note that the U.S. military vary rarely deploys a .50 sniper rifle and even more rarely against a point target (person).  It is simply overkill.

Last edited by Krauser98 (2005-08-18 04:34:42)

Crypto_420
+25|6834|Portland
I think its unrealistic.   I dont care where you hit someone with a .50 round,  you die!!!  but in this game they think kevlar stops anything....wrong.   even if your to grazze a arm or leg with a .50 round, you would rip the body part right off.

The M95 was my first unlock and i wish i never did that
second was the medics kit, i highly advice this unlocking!!!!

https://bf2s.com/player/37246377/sig.png
https://bf2s.com/player/37246377/sig5.png
https://bf2s.com/player/37246377/sig3.png
https://bf2s.com/player/37246377/awards.jpg
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6821|USA! USA! USA!
Agreed.  As long as you are within a certain range of a .50 it will kill you.  That range being over a mile, as was demonstrated by some famous snipers in Vietnam... Can't remember the guys name, but he was the same one who actually shot another sniper through the scope.  He kept the scope and rifle as proof, but now a bunch of movies have capitalized on it...  Anyway, Kevlar isn't necessarily meant to stop a direct hit, but protect you for flak, etc.  Hell, I've put a bullet through a Kevlar before, just to see if it would happen and it was a 7.62 not .50.  As for hitting someone anywhere and dieing, that isn't true.  People have been hit with a lot bigger things and survived.  I saw a guy with a three inch steel pipe through his chest after he fell off a ladder.  He lived.  He wasn't bunny hopping anywhere though.
BudRell
+2|6828|Home
True words. If I'm honest I wouldn't unlock that rifle either...atleast not at first. In fact I wouldn't unlock ANY at the first time. There are so good "standard" weapons in the game that they are more than enough. It is more than recommended to master those first. After that when you unlock those weapons it might give the extra punch for the fight.

He wasn't bunny hopping anywhere though.
LOLZ

Last edited by BudRell (2005-08-19 00:50:41)

PapaTango69
+1|6781|NoneYA

Krauser98 wrote:

Agreed.  As long as you are within a certain range of a .50 it will kill you.  That range being over a mile, as was demonstrated by some famous snipers in Vietnam... Can't remember the guys name, but he was the same one who actually shot another sniper through the scope.  He kept the scope and rifle as proof, but now a bunch of movies have capitalized on it...  Anyway, Kevlar isn't necessarily meant to stop a direct hit, but protect you for flak, etc.  Hell, I've put a bullet through a Kevlar before, just to see if it would happen and it was a 7.62 not .50.  As for hitting someone anywhere and dieing, that isn't true.  People have been hit with a lot bigger things and survived.  I saw a guy with a three inch steel pipe through his chest after he fell off a ladder.  He lived.  He wasn't bunny hopping anywhere though.
I believe it was Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock II at 2500m ......Anyway I need some help... I Just got my first unlock and I took the Barret ...and i can't hit with it 50% of  the time I'll go on a server with no one on just to practice at different distances and angles and such and it seems to be zero'd at 300m if i can remember right . So i'm shooting at buildings and light colored objects to see my placement and it's a hit through the scope(which is lame).. But when i go one to ranked servers I can't Hit Jack what am i doing wrong is it the lag, inexperience or  what ...I'm only taking a shot when I think its going to be a hit and not taking pot shots just to be shooting
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6800|Marathon, Florida Keys

Krauser98 wrote:

A .50 BMG round has 12,000 pounds of force behind it, a metal pipe has your body weight and the speed you are falling.  A .50 in the chest would leave a hole big enough for santa to crawl through and give you your presents.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

PapaTango69 wrote:

......Anyway I need some help... I Just got my first unlock and I took the Barret ...and i can't hit with it 50% of  the time I'll go on a server with no one on just to practice at different distances and angles and such and it seems to be zero'd at 300m if i can remember right . So i'm shooting at buildings and light colored objects to see my placement and it's a hit through the scope(which is lame).. But when i go one to ranked servers I can't Hit Jack what am i doing wrong is it the lag, inexperience or  what ...I'm only taking a shot when I think its going to be a hit and not taking pot shots just to be shooting
i had that same problem when i first unlocked the M95..just couldnt hit jacks**t with it and my accuracy plummeted. I suspect lag had something to do with it (i see a flamethrower coming), but these days i learned not to hurry the shot, and i would say my accuracy has gone up a bit more as i learnt to be patient. go for headshots, it always work on the first shot. isnt it always the case about sniping in real life, that you have to wait and be patient with the shots? (not to mention to be economical about it)

and of course, a commander out on a 32p field not commanding and poking his out of the parapet near sniper hotspots helps my accuracy a bit
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6787|Eastern PA

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

A .50 BMG round has 12,000 pounds of force behind it, a metal pipe has your body weight and the speed you are falling.  A .50 in the chest would leave a hole big enough for santa to crawl through and give you your presents.
Variations on this theme appear frequently, but without allowing the discussion to devolve into a lengthy and inconclusive debate over wound ballistics, the fact remains that there are more than a few military veterans from WW II to present that have survived being hit by .50 BMG (and similar caliber ) rounds without being killed or losing significant body mass . . .

Props to Krauser98 for providing accurate 'scope data for the M95. What may not be apparent to the casual reader is the fact that almost all telescopic sights used by the military are "fixed" - i.e.: They are not "variable" or adjustable through a range of magnification, so there's no "zoom" feature.

There are simple, practical reasons for this: The more complexity to a device, the more susceptable it is to damage under combat conditions. By extension, a long-range weapon with a non-functional sighting system is little more than an expensive precision club.

Additionally, the selection of a telescopic sight for a particular weapon is generally based on it's intended use, practical effective range, and the ballistic performance of it's intended (or available) ammunition. Therefore, the stadia (graduations) etched into the optics are intended to assist the shooter with accurate range estimates and bullet drop calculations for that specific firearm and ammo.

By way of example, I own a Springfield M1A (semi-auto version of an M14) w/ a Springfield 6x 'scope that has graduated stadia from 100 to 700 yards, in 100 yard increments. But the accuracy of those stadia are dependant upon the use of 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester) ammo loaded with a 168 grain bullet; and that bullet weight is typical of Match grade or armor-piercing ammo, instead of the more common 147 grain ball round that is used world-wide for this cartridge.

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-09-24 22:36:21)

Croak
+11|6796|San Marcos, CA
Number one BF2 sniper accuracy tip that I can give you is to WAIT before squeezing off a shot if you can. 

There seems to be a "settle down" period between when you lay the crosshair on the target and when it's actually a stable shot.  That means "snap shots" will miss, wait a beat or two and your chances of hitting go WAY up. 

If you're aiming at the torso or are at extreme close range, this is no big deal, you'll probably still hit, where it really shows is when you're going for head shots/longer range shots.

That said, you still have to account for bullet drop and the more distant the target, the higher your aim point should be, and learning that comes from practice.
pinky_81
+1|6780|Denmark
When talking about the M95 cal .50 you all realise that the bullet that hits the target is not .50 (when used by the military, anyhow)???

The round is more like the tanks DART-rounds - the cal .50 bullet splits when leaving the barrel throwing a smaller diameter wolfram steel projectile (very solid type of metal) at the target...
This is done to achieve very, very high velocity and therefor better armour-penetrating capabilities...

This type of round is also available for cal 0.50 Machineguns (like the Browning) and automatic cannons (at least 25mm i know which is used by the danish army in ther PNMK (similar to the linebacker but without rockets/missiles)

Pinky (I've seen a lot talk about the cal .50)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard