LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6710|Charlie One Alpha
You meant E=0.5MV² (this is the formula for KINETIC energy, the one you want)
Energy= 0.5 times Mass times Velocity square
This shows that the velocity of your projectile is much more important than its mass.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2007-01-18 10:52:03)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
spray_and_pray
+52|6492|Perth. Western Australia
Cant find any statistics where they match its bullet power in kilojoules. Maybe thats too heavy if a cannon produces 9.
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6528|Panama
LoL, I thought they had a tank that could fly and a jet that could swim..
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

spray_and_pray wrote:

Cant find any statistics where they match its bullet power in kilojoules. Maybe thats too heavy if a cannon produces 9.
Kilojoules is waaay too much for small arms. A BB gun typically produces between 0.5 and 1.5 joules.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
spray_and_pray

LaidBackNinja wrote:

You meant E=0.5MV²
This shows that the velocity of your projectile is much more important than its mass.
Thats the one I wanted thanks.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6646|Ohio

max wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

energy is dependent on acceleration and mass not speed. a bullet in space that goes with 100000 km/h has absolutely no energy
no. its velocity. go take a physics course.

Edit: For being rude, i will explain it.
Basically everything on earth has an acceleration of roughly 9.8m/s (1 g-force). but an object that falls 1m has much less energy than an object that falls 10m, correct? this is because its velocity that determines energy.

Last edited by Paco_the_Insane (2007-01-18 10:59:21)

spray_and_pray

max wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

energy is dependent on acceleration and mass not speed. a bullet in space that goes with 100000 km/h has absolutely no energy
But for something to be existant it has to have some sort of mass for if it had no mass it would not exist. What you are saying a bullet non existant wouldnt have any energy travelling at 10 000 kmph because the calculation is mass times velocity/speed if mass is 0 at 10 000 kmph 10 000 * 0=0

What are you trying to say?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

max wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

i did and the moment i posted i realised that i said bullshit. thats why i deleted it

i was thinking about force

Last edited by max (2007-01-18 10:57:49)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
spray_and_pray

max wrote:

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

max wrote:

i did and the moment i posted i realised that i said bullshit. thats why i deleted it

Paco im sure max has proven he knows physics cut him some slack he did good in helping me find an error and sort it out. Hopefully I will remember it know because after 4 years and 1 lecturer who was einstein crazy I still didn't remember it. Now I hopefully will.
spray_and_pray

LaidBackNinja wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Kilojoules is waaay too much for small arms. A BB gun typically produces between 0.5 and 1.5 joules.
The test rail gun fired 8 kilojoules im sure BB guns use much much less.

Do you maybe mean the final energy produced by the weapon? As in the projectile it fires? If I calculated correctly a rail gun that can fire a projectile at 10 000kmph should produce 750K kilojoules with the projectile. However the actual rail gun only produces 35 kilojoules itself.

Last edited by spray_and_pray (2007-01-18 11:02:36)

Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6646|Ohio
well, as soon as i posted, i realised i was rude, and explained why its not acceleration. sorry dude, it just annoys me when people act like they know what they are talking about, when they dont.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

spray_and_pray wrote:

max wrote:

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

Paco im sure max has proven he knows physics cut him some slack he did good in helping me find an error and sort it out. Hopefully I will remember it know because after 4 years and 1 lecturer who was einstein crazy I still didn't remember it. Now I hopefully will.
thanks. its also been a while for me with physics. i graduated from high school (where i took higher level physics btw) 3 years ago. takes some time to get it back into my memory again.

have a cookie
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

spray_and_pray wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

You meant E=0.5MV²
Thats the one I wanted thanks.
Hey, I mentioned Velocity first.  Although you did post Speed first.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

spray_and_pray wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Do you maybe mean the final energy produced by the weapon? As in the projectile it fires? If I calculated correctly a rail gun that can fire a projectile at 10 000kmph should produce 750K kilojoules with the projectile. However the actual rail gun only produces 35 kilojoules itself.
First of all, you are talking about a ship mounted railgun here. A railgun carried by infantry should be nowhere near this power output. Also in your calculation, what mass did you use for the projectile?
spray_and_pray

LaidBackNinja wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

First of all, you are talking about a ship mounted railgun here. A railgun carried by infantry should be nowhere near this power output. Also in your calculation, what mass did you use for the projectile?
The mass that was posted up in the article we could use the 8 Kilojoule mass but they plan for 38 or something.

Im trying to get the ending amount of energy not the amount of energy the rail gun produces to fire the round.

Last edited by spray_and_pray (2007-01-18 11:28:06)

Eugefunk84
+48|6535

Flecco wrote:

For anybody who understands more about technology, physics, electronics and weaponry than me...

What are the chances of the technology being made handheld and being used by footsoldiers practically?
I'm an electrical engineer and have studied the effects that cause a projectile to be shot out of a railgun. It's a fundamentally simple device, utilizing only electrical currents to move a projectile. This effectively makes for zero recoil, also. However, the power needed to fire a projectile the size and mass of a standard bullet at comparable speeds greatly exceeds anything that can be carried by a foot soldier. Also, since you need a very precise pulse generator to keep the projectile accelerating down the rails, this would make for some extremely heavy electronics.

So, bottom line is that you should not expect to see this carried by foot soldiers, until we figure out a way to create portable nuclear energy pretty much. If you have any more specific question, PM me.

Funk
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

For anybody who understands more about technology, physics, electronics and weaponry than me...

What are the chances of the technology being made handheld and being used by footsoldiers practically?
I'm an electrical engineer and have studied the effects that cause a projectile to be shot out of a railgun. It's a fundamentally simple device, utilizing only electrical currents to move a projectile. This effectively makes for zero recoil, also. However, the power needed to fire a projectile the size and mass of a standard bullet at comparable speeds greatly exceeds anything that can be carried by a foot soldier. Also, since you need a very precise pulse generator to keep the projectile accelerating down the rails, this would make for some extremely heavy electronics.

So, bottom line is that you should not expect to see this carried by foot soldiers, until we figure out a way to create portable nuclear energy pretty much. If you have any more specific question, PM me.

Funk
Recoil is not only the consequence of the 'explosion' in traditional gunpowder-rounds, but also the fact that something is launched forward, thus 'kicking' the gun backwards. Action equals reaction, you know?
That means a railgun also has recoil, just like a crossbow does.
Eugefunk84
+48|6535

IsaacLeavitt wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

wrote:

What are the chances of the technology being made  and being used by  practically?
Very little it uses 35 kilojoules instead of 9 kilojoules used by Battleship artillery. Such a weapon would blow any soldier back and possibly kill them. Not to mention its weight. In a few years if we can advance the tech its very probable.
to fix the problem for infantry you could use high power capacitors that would be charged at a powerful energy source... these would then be used as ammunition in the portable railgun ... and to fix the recoil you could have the armature "blow back" when it reached the end of the "barrel" instead of stopping, causing an opposite force reducing the recoil greatly...

anybody catch my idea?

btw- railguns have a slightly parabolic range of fire... like a sniper rifle, exept way more powerfull...
Railguns have no recoil. There is no explosion contained behind the projectile to propell it out of a barrel, therefore there is no explosion pushing the actual gun in the opposite direction. As far as your capacitor ideas, it wouldnt work. In order to store that much charge, you would need way too many capacitors. Think about this, you ever see those huge car audio capacitors? Those store 12 volts, and deliver about 10 amps of current. Power=Voltage*Current, which in this case equals 120 Watts. This is not even close to enough power for a rail gun. So you would need to carry hundreds if not thousands of these comparably large caps to provide power for a shot, and on top of that, it would only be good for ONE shot, absolutely not practical. Railguns will always be subject to a massive power supply, such as those found on warships. It will probably never be available for foot soldiers.
spray_and_pray

Eugefunk84 wrote:

IsaacLeavitt wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Very little it uses 35 kilojoules instead of 9 kilojoules used by Battleship artillery. Such a weapon would blow any soldier back and possibly kill them. Not to mention its weight. In a few years if we can advance the tech its very probable.
to fix the problem for infantry you could use high power capacitors that would be charged at a powerful energy source... these would then be used as ammunition in the portable railgun ... and to fix the recoil you could have the armature "blow back" when it reached the end of the "barrel" instead of stopping, causing an opposite force reducing the recoil greatly...

anybody catch my idea?

btw- railguns have a slightly parabolic range of fire... like a sniper rifle, exept way more powerfull...
Railguns have no recoil. There is no explosion contained behind the projectile to propell it out of a barrel, therefore there is no explosion pushing the actual gun in the opposite direction. As far as your capacitor ideas, it wouldnt work. In order to store that much charge, you would need way too many capacitors. Think about this, you ever see those huge car audio capacitors? Those store 12 volts, and deliver about 10 amps of current. Power=Voltage*Current, which in this case equals 120 Watts. This is not even close to enough power for a rail gun. So you would need to carry hundreds if not thousands of these comparably large caps to provide power for a shot, and on top of that, it would only be good for ONE shot, absolutely not practical. Railguns will always be subject to a massive power supply, such as those found on warships. It will probably never be available for foot soldiers.
That is impossible according to newtons 3rd law ninja said it every action has an equal and opposite reaction if a bullet travels down a chamber at extremely high speeds its going to push back the weapon once it exits the chamber.
Eugefunk84
+48|6535

spray_and_pray wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

IsaacLeavitt wrote:

anybody catch my idea?

That is impossible according to newtons 3rd law ninja said it every action has an equal and opposite reaction if a bullet travels down a chamber at extremely high speeds its going to push back the weapon once it exits the chamber.
OK, ill concede, there is SOME recoil, but in negligibly small. In the case of a traditional gun/cannon, its trivial to see where recoil arises from. And in a crossbow, recoil comes from the tensile force of the taught string. When it is released, the middle of the string where the arrow is sitting comes flying towards the front of the bow, but it also pulls the bow back towards the end of the arrow. Thats where crossbow recoil comes from.

Now, in the case of a railgun, things are slightly different. There are three forces involved here. The electromagnetic force propells the projectile forward on the rails. The second force is that of friction, which is experienced by the slug grinding against the rails during its acceleration. This is assuming that the projectile doesnt "roll" down the rails, which would cause no friction, but would also cause for a lot of spin once the projectile exits the rails. The third force is that of air resistance in front of the projectile, which also slows it down.

Hence, the only two forces that could cause recoil are friction and air resistance. The force of friction can be calculated by finding the mass of the projectile and multiplying it by a scalar, say X, which is based entirely on the material of the slug. Seeing as the mass of a slug/bullet is very very small, the force slowing down the round would be miniscule.

Now, the main cause of recoil would be the air resistance in front of the accelerating projectile. As it travels down the rails, it builds up air pressure in front of the round, which will push it back. The only thing coupling this with the rails themselves is the force of friction. Hence, if the force of friction is small, the amount of force that the "gun" will experience is very small as well.

Funk
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Eugefunk84 wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

OK, ill concede, there is SOME recoil, but in negligibly small. In the case of a traditional gun/cannon, its trivial to see where recoil arises from. And in a crossbow, recoil comes from the tensile force of the taught string. When it is released, the middle of the string where the arrow is sitting comes flying towards the front of the bow, but it also pulls the bow back towards the end of the arrow. Thats where crossbow recoil comes from.

Now, in the case of a railgun, things are slightly different. There are three forces involved here. The electromagnetic force propells the projectile forward on the rails. The second force is that of friction, which is experienced by the slug grinding against the rails during its acceleration. This is assuming that the projectile doesnt "roll" down the rails, which would cause no friction, but would also cause for a lot of spin once the projectile exits the rails. The third force is that of air resistance in front of the projectile, which also slows it down.

Hence, the only two forces that could cause recoil are friction and air resistance. The force of friction can be calculated by finding the mass of the projectile and multiplying it by a scalar, say X, which is based entirely on the material of the slug. Seeing as the mass of a slug/bullet is very very small, the force slowing down the round would be miniscule.

Now, the main cause of recoil would be the air resistance in front of the accelerating projectile. As it travels down the rails, it builds up air pressure in front of the round, which will push it back. The only thing coupling this with the rails themselves is the force of friction. Hence, if the force of friction is small, the amount of force that the "gun" will experience is very small as well.

Funk
You get recoil to a small extent from paintball guns. Why wouldn't it be the same just on a much larger scale with this?
Eugefunk84
+48|6535

ghettoperson wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Funk
You get recoil to a small extent from paintball guns. Why wouldn't it be the same just on a much larger scale with this?
because paintball guns use the same principle as traditional guns, and expanding gas behind the projectile, railguns do not. BTW, u play PB? I'm the VP of the Umass Amherst Paintball Club, what kinda gun you shootin?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

Eugefunk84 wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Funk
Sling and Trebuchet analogy comes to mind too regards to neglible recoil and all this mass/velocity talk.

Last edited by Ilocano (2007-01-18 12:01:35)

LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
Sorry to say funk, but you are wrong.
Every action causes an opposite reaction. If you and I are both on ice, and I give you a push, not only would I push you back, but I would also move in the opposite direction. Same with any kind of projectile weapon. The weapon 'pushes' the projectile forward, and the projectile 'pushes' the weapon backwards. Hence, recoil.
This is all quite basic physics here. Friction and air resistance and whatnot have nothing to do with this.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2007-01-18 12:04:49)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Eugefunk84 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Funk
because paintball guns use the same principle as traditional guns, and expanding gas behind the projectile, railguns do not. BTW, u play PB? I'm the VP of the Umass Amherst Paintball Club, what kinda gun you shootin?
I don't play regularly, just whenever I get the chance, so I don't have my own gun unfortunately.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard