Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559
I'm surprised no-one else picked up on this.  I find it interesting that they believe it will be as effective as a missile: I would have thought the lack of guidance and non-splody-boom-ness would be a big draw back.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Because they've been on the drawing board for such a long time. And with high accuracy, you don't need guidance. Let's just hope that they don't abandon their more 'conventional' cannons, in case of an EMP attack.

Check out 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' for non-splody projectiles in action.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-01-18 03:42:35)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Because they've been on the drawing board for such a long time. And with high accuracy, you don't need guidance.
You do if the target moves erratically.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Let's just hope that they don't abandon their more 'conventional' cannons, in case of an EMP attack.
I suspect that these would be just as reliant as railguns on computer systems.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Check out 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' for non-splody projectiles in action.
Great.  Whilst we're at it, you can check out "Battletech" for information on FTL travel.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6528|The lunar module
Two words of advice to future Navy gunners:

Tinfoil underwear.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

For anybody who understands more about technology, physics, electronics and weaponry than me...

What are the chances of the technology being made handheld and being used by footsoldiers practically?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Flecco wrote:

For anybody who understands more about technology, physics, electronics and weaponry than me...

What are the chances of the technology being made handheld and being used by footsoldiers practically?
They pretty much need a battery back on their backs. I bet it will still take time for it to be an Infantry weapon. But I would doubt, no matter how fast a bullet, it can't really do much damage to a ship.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

They pretty much need a battery back on their backs. I bet it will still take time for it to be an Infantry weapon. But I would doubt, no matter how fast a bullet, it can't really do much damage to a ship.
Have you seen Ghostbusters?  LOL
spray_and_pray
+52|6489|Perth. Western Australia

Flecco wrote:

Very little it uses 35 kilojoules instead of 9 kilojoules used by Battleship artillery. Such a weapon would blow any soldier back and possibly kill them. Not to mention its weight. In a few years if we can advance the tech its very probable.
Magius5.0
+106|6379|UMass Amherst
1.21 Jiggawatts!  We need a Flux Capacitor Marty!!!

Realistically, the only systems capable of powering rail guns exist in laboratories or on the decks of a US naval vessel outfitted with Nuclear reactors, at present.  To scale down to an infantry-usuable weapon would take immense work, however, the gun would have no recoil like traditional cartridge-based rounds (correct me if I've interpreted the physics wrong), so it would be very interesting to tote about.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

I raised the question because I remember a debate about .50 cal shells on here and whether it was humane to use them and should they be used on battlefields against infantry (I was in agreement, all conventional weaponry should be allowed... including large caliber shells). If this technology became man portable, would the damage it would do to a person raise the same amount of controversy? Because I imagine it would have a similar affect to a .50 cal rifle/cannon.
IsaacLeavitt
+24|6349

spray_and_pray wrote:

wrote:

What are the chances of the technology being made  and being used by  practically?
Very little it uses 35 kilojoules instead of 9 kilojoules used by Battleship artillery. Such a weapon would blow any soldier back and possibly kill them. Not to mention its weight. In a few years if we can advance the tech its very probable.
to fix the problem for infantry you could use high power capacitors that would be charged at a powerful energy source... these would then be used as ammunition in the portable railgun ... and to fix the recoil you could have the armature "blow back" when it reached the end of the "barrel" instead of stopping, causing an opposite force reducing the recoil greatly...

anybody catch my idea?

btw- railguns have a slightly parabolic range of fire... like a sniper rifle, exept way more powerfull...

Last edited by IsaacLeavitt (2007-01-18 08:56:20)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6458|UK
Thats well cool, so lets say they fire it from a navy ship or whatever. Do they fire the projectile into the sky to rain down on the enemy or directly at the enemy?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6365|Columbus, Ohio
The should make special boots so troops can bunny hop instead.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6558

Flecco wrote:

I raised the question because I remember a debate about .50 cal shells on here and whether it was humane to use them and should they be used on battlefields against infantry (I was in agreement, all conventional weaponry should be allowed... including large caliber shells). If this technology became man portable, would the damage it would do to a person raise the same amount of controversy? Because I imagine it would have a similar affect to a .50 cal rifle/cannon.
I could imagine the projectile entering and leaving your body so fast that it would create a vacuum effect on the exit wound making your insides follow the projectile outside the wound.
IsaacLeavitt
+24|6349

rawls2 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

I could imagine the projectile entering and leaving your body so fast that it would create a vacuum effect on the exit wound making your insides follow the projectile outside the wound.
no way man are you crazy... the amount of kinetic energy behind this shell is so massive that the affect of impact would be comparable to an explosion... lol there wouldn't be an exit wound., nothing left to exit...
spray_and_pray
Imagine it person here o  now imagine this guy getting hit by a bullet which can travel 200 kilometres at high speed
                                 -I-
                                 ---

This is what's left of the person .......... a bullet travelling as fast as these are supposed to wont leave anything. The whole entire body would be ripped to shreds and spread over a giant area. One the bullet hits him it would send a ripple breaking all his bones shattering all his internal organs.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

spray_and_pray wrote:

Imagine it person here o  now imagine this guy getting hit by a bullet which can travel 200 kilometres at high speed
                                 -I-
                                 ---

This is what's left of the person .......... a bullet travelling as fast as these are supposed to wont leave anything. The whole entire body would be ripped to shreds and spread over a giant area. One the bullet hits him it would send a ripple breaking all his bones shattering all his internal organs.
Doesn't that depend on the size of the projectile though? Say they only used needles/thin razor blades... (Yes, did take the idea from somewhere else)

In any case, somebody will try to ban it...

Last edited by Flecco (2007-01-18 09:43:58)

spray_and_pray

Flecco wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

-I-
                                 ---

Doesn't that depend on the size of the projectile though? Say they only used needles/thin razor blades... (Yes, did take the idea from somewhere else)

This is where physics gets involved e=mc2 can do that calculation say you have a small rock and it hits a car travelling at 200 kilometres per hour it will pretty much destroy it. Now a larger brick hitting a car at lets say 50 kilometres per hour. It can do less or the same amount of damage to the car as the rock. In e=mc2 it uses 2 things to figure out the energy. Mass and Speed, SpeedxMass=energy. If you have enough speed to counter a small mass it will do the job. I also beleive the bullets will be sized like .50 cal rounds 7.62mm or 5.56mm I doubt they would use anything smaller.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Flecco wrote:

Doesn't that depend on the size of the projectile though? Say they only used needles/thin razor blades... (Yes, did take the idea from somewhere else)In any case, somebody will try to ban it...
Warhammer 40K Eldar guns?

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

But I would doubt, no matter how fast a bullet, it can't really do much damage to a ship.
Nope, it's all amount mass and velocity.

Last edited by Ilocano (2007-01-18 10:38:21)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

Ilocano wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Doesn't that depend on the size of the projectile though? Say they only used needles/thin razor blades... (Yes, did take the idea from somewhere else)In any case, somebody will try to ban it...
Warhammer 40K Eldar guns?
Yeah, because I always thought they would hurt.... Alot.

Spray and pray, I know basic physics... I didn't sleep through all my physics classes last year.... I am pretty hopeless when it comes to applying it though.

Wonder what those dastardly commies will come up with to defend against this...
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

spray_and_pray wrote:

Flecco wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

-I-
                                 ---

This is where physics gets involved e=mc2 can do that calculation say you have a small rock and it hits a car travelling at 200 kilometres per hour it will pretty much destroy it. Now a larger brick hitting a car at lets say 50 kilometres per hour. It can do less or the same amount of damage to the car as the rock. In e=mc2 it uses 2 things to figure out the energy. Mass and Speed, SpeedxMass=energy. If you have enough speed to counter a small mass it will do the job. I also beleive the bullets will be sized like .50 cal rounds 7.62mm or 5.56mm I doubt they would use anything smaller.
sorry to tell you but you are wrong. c = speed of light. relativistic effects dont really start until about 0.8 speed of light. nothing humans ever build goes nearly as fast as this. what you where thinking about was momentum (=speed x mass). something completely different.

EDIT: also that there is no recoil is also sort of wrong. there wouldnt be the usual kick because no exploded gases have to go anywhere, but newtonian physics still apply. there would be an equal (to the force exerted onto the "bullet" to make it accelerate) but opposite (direction) force pushing the gun backwards

Last edited by max (2007-01-18 10:47:45)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6707|Charlie One Alpha

Magius5.0 wrote:

1.21 Jiggawatts!  We need a Flux Capacitor Marty!!!

Realistically, the only systems capable of powering rail guns exist in laboratories or on the decks of a US naval vessel outfitted with Nuclear reactors, at present.  To scale down to an infantry-usuable weapon would take immense work, however, the gun would have no recoil like traditional cartridge-based rounds (correct me if I've interpreted the physics wrong), so it would be very interesting to tote about.
Nah, a railgun would have recoil. A projectile is still launched forward, pushing the gun itself backwards in reaction. There's no actual explosion in the gun however, so that might make the gun easier to control.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
spray_and_pray

max wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

Flecco wrote:

sorry to tell you but you are wrong. c = speed of light. relativistic effects dont really start until about 0.8 speed of light. nothing humans ever build goes nearly as fast as this. what you where thinking about was impulse (=speed x mass). something completely different.
C=speed of light squared thankyou very much the speed of light being the fastest speed anything can acheive http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/emc1.htm however you are correct I selected the wrong calculation I did only 4 years of Nutonian about 7 years ago and have forgotten most. Can you point me out to the correct calc?

1 sec I think I have the correct calc ENERGY equals mass times the speed of light squared. researching. Let me get out my old books and ill be with you.

Momentum is mass times speed but energy is mass times speed squared. If I had 35 kilojoules of energy going at lets say 10 000 kilometres per hour the calc would be 35 X10 000 squared. Im quite sure my calculation is right.

Last edited by spray_and_pray (2007-01-18 10:45:45)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

spray_and_pray wrote:

max wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

sorry to tell you but you are wrong. c = speed of light. relativistic effects dont really start until about 0.8 speed of light. nothing humans ever build goes nearly as fast as this. what you where thinking about was impulse (=speed x mass). something completely different.
C=speed of light squared thankyou very much the speed of light being the fastest speed anything can acheive http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/emc1.htm however you are correct I selected the wrong calculation I did only 4 years of Nutonian about 7 years ago and have forgotten most. Can you point me out to the correct calc?

1 sec I think I have the correct calc ENERGY equals mass times the speed of light squared. researching. Let me get out my old books and ill be with you.
nope c = speed of light
e= m x (c^2) not mass x speed of light ^4 as what you said would imply

to calculate the force exerted my the soldier when fireing the weapon = mass bullet x acceleration of the bullet. the acceleration of the soldier when fireing the weapon when shooting (assuming no friction) = mass bullet x acceleration bullet / mass soldier

Last edited by max (2007-01-18 10:51:39)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
spray_and_pray
Id have 750 000 kilojoules of energy if the projectile produced 35 kilojoules and travelled at 10 000 kmph I think this is also roughly the speed that a rail gun bullet would travel at. If anyone can get the amount of kilojoules a small arms rifle produces and times it by its speed then square it you will get the amount of energy it has and will be able to compare it. One second im looking through M82 statistics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard